Ended
Watch

Nathan Griffin Glimpses

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

It looks like the time was coming to do some house cleaning.

It was just another bar — yet another bar. He was doing pretty much the only thing he had done ever since he got back. He had already hit most of the classics: walk in looking like a deranged vagabond (which, he had to admit, was an apt description of his condition), spend what little was left of his stolen money, and then having drink after drink, shooting at the bartender his most irritated "keep 'em coming" look while he felt his (stolen) wallet become increasingly lighter. You know, the kind of stuff your average stand up citizen would do.

Now, he hadn't always been a drunk. He was perfectly aware he looked positively pathetic. But he was past caring right now. Whatever little part of him was trying to be his conscience, it was being crushed into silence by 10,000 ml of alcohol. God, this place is depressing. I should have hit a strip club instead. Of course, in his current state, that would probably spell trouble for him.

Not that he wasn't in pretty deep shit currently. It was really, really late. Or really, really early, he couldn't tell. But he was pretty much the only one left, other than the grizzly fifty-something that passed for a bartender in this hell of a place, an orange cat just hanging around, and those two.

They were bikers. Dirty, unshaven, tattooed bikers. Not all that unlike himself, truth be told. They looked as smug as they were drunk in their leather jackets and other paraphernalia. One was on the older side, a heavy-set guy with long, greasy black hair and a beard to match it. The other was young and blond. But frankly? With enough beer in, they looked pretty much the same. It reminded him of something some social studies teacher had quipped when looking at photos of teen punks. Look at them, expressing their rebellious, non-conformist streak by dressing and acting exactly like everyone else in their subculture.

Isn't it closing time already? The bartender seemed to be thinking the same thing, as he was looking at all three of them wearily. It was easy to see why he hadn't kicked them out already. The bikers seemed to be looking for a fight. The older one was casually picking his fingernails with an army knife. He supposed the bar was so low tier it couldn't afford a bouncer. Or decent beer. And he was so low tier that he could only afford to drink here with the money he had left.

He drank the last of his beer and got up. The two amigos immediately fixed their gaze on him. Vultures.

"I think I'll be leaving now. Mind if I take a quick trip to the restroom?"

The bartender nodded slowly, looking worried, and pointed to a door in the back of the bar. The Hunterheart nodded in thanks and made his way there. Unsurprisingly, Pain and Panic got up without taking their eyes from him.

Granted, that may have been a little too much beer. He zipped his pants back up in time to see the bikers enter the restroom.

"Hey, Nate." Said the older one. God, did he hate it when people called him Nate. "It's been a long time. I can't believe you left without saying goodbye."

He turned back around and smiled to them. They couldn't to see his fangs, and he didn't bother to hide them. The effect was nonetheless threatening.

"So sorry for that, Jim. I would have loved to say goodbye to you all the way you deserve. But y'see, I kind of was in a rush." He proceeded in his fakest friendly tone. "I gotta say, though, it's really nice of you to come all the way here to give me a proper send off."

Jim grunted. He took out his knife again and started fidgeting with it.

"Cut the crap. You know why we're here. It was bad enough that you stole our money, but getting a whole bunch of us arrested? Not cool, man. You made us look really stupid. You didn't think we would just let that slide, did you?"

"Did I make you look stupid?" He raised his hand in an calming gesture. "Didn't mean to. Honest mistake. Really. I mean, seriously, I never thought you needed any help with that."

Now that pissed them right off. They both went up to him at the same time. They grabbed him by his neck and forcefully pushed him against the wall. He felt the impact hard on his back. There was a knife to his neck and bad breath to his nostrils as they closed in on him. He made a face at the stench of cheap beer.

"By the way, I think you two might be drunk."

"Don't be a smart-ass. It's gonna get you killed. Sooner than you think."

It was the first thing the younger guy — Isaac, was that his name? — said. He didn't sound happy.

"I'm an ass alright." He answered, still smiling. "Smart? Not really. Still smarter than you, though."

Jim pushed the knife harder against his neck until blood came out.

"Enough of this shit. Let's find out how many teeth do we have to knock out before you start screaming like a little girl. That's fun, yeah?

He tried to grab his chin in place.

The scream must have been heard even outside. Heck, the bartender must have known what was going on in his own restroom, but was smart enough to stay out of it. Still, that particular sound was one of pure pain and fear. In the middle of a windy night in a crapsack bar it must have been chilling.

Dirty Jim was down on the floor, still screaming and kicking in pain. He was holding his right hand with his left. It was bloody, and the reason why was hard to miss. Bite marks that looked made by very sharp fangs were all over it. His ring and middle fingers were missing. Well, not technically. They're right on the floor. Next to them, in a small puddle of blood, was his knife.

"What the fuck...?" Isaac, Ian or whatever his name was had completely lost his grip on the Beast. He was too busy looking shocked and terrified at his older friend.

He didn't give him a chance to snap out of him. A fist went right up to his face, hitting hard against his skull. He fell to the dirty bathroom floor, but the Hunterheart was on him in no time. He grabbed Blondie's head with both hands, forced him up and submerged it in the toilet.

He could feel every espasm in Blondie's body as he hopelessly struggled to get out of the water to catch a breath. Don't bother, pal. His primal, unadulterated dread was almost tangible to him as he counted the seconds. The whole atmosphere was so loaded with fear that the scent of Glamour had superseded all of the bar's usual, unpleasant fare. He waited, and waited, and waited. It didn't seem long for him, but he doubted Blondie would agree.

Then he let him go. The place was filled with the sound of Blondie's gasping for breath, right up until he kicked him in the face, knocking him out.

Next he went up to Oldie. He had somewhat recovered from the impression (and the pain, he guessed). You had to give it to him. He had enough presence of mind to try and reach for his knife. Before he could though, the Beast crushed his able hand with his foot until a distinct crack was heard, followed by yet another scream. He took the knife and sat on top of Oldie, putting it under the other man's beard.

"You kids think you're so fucking scary." He started angrily. "But it's all for show, isn't it? You talk the talk, but you can't even walk the walk. Just bully people with a knife and pick on whatever bastard who looks like he won't put up a fight, yeah?" He gripped the knife so hard against Jim's throat that the latter let out yet another pained moan. "Until you come across someone who really is fucking scary and get your lame asses kicked hard and good. It's a big bad world out there, Jimmy, and you're nowhere near the baddest fella around. Suck it up."

He didn't have time for this. He got up and dropped the knife. Before he left, he turned to take a last look at them.

"Get the fuck out of this city. I don't want to see you — any of you — ever again."

When he got out, the bartender was still there. A clock told him it had been only a little more than five minutes since the three of them got into the restroom. The bartender seemed agitated, aggressively pressing numbers on a phone. Brave man. Or really desperate. When he saw the Hunterheart, he froze.

"They won't give you any more trouble." He looked at the older man evenly. "Same with me."

A second passed. The other one nodded and stepped away from the phone. Better not to argue with the drunk and demonstrably dangerous hobo, right?

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

What's that noise?

Night had already fallen and it looked like it was about to rain. He had just come all the way from finding scraps left over around the Rose Garden and was beginning to feel rather dozy. It must have been just a couple more blocks to his alleyway. One of his neighbors, a St. Bernard he had gotten to calling by the terribly imaginative name of Beethoven, seemed to have gotten a sniff of him and went straight up to meet him, tail waggling happily and nose all over his pants.

"Sorry, pal. I barely found enough for me."

That's when he heard it. He recognized the sound, but it seemed... unlikely. Curiosity was hard to shake off, so he made his way into the back alley it seemed to be coming from. And sure enough, there he found them. A couple of teens, by the looks of them. He smiled in amusement. Busy, were they, too distracted in their clumsy make out to notice him. All the kissing, and the soft moaning, and the general messing around... They probably didn't know they could be heard from the street, but then maybe that was just him. Makes you think of the old days, now doesn't it? All the undercooked magic they were letting out probably helped. Too bad desire wasn't his specialty, as they seemed about to get started with taking each other's clothes off.

"Not that I mind watching, but you two lovebirds probably shouldn't do that just now."

That scared them off, didn't it? He couldn't help laughing as they practically jumped off each other, looking at him flustered and in bewilderment. Poor sods. They really shouldn't be here. Assholes the likes of the bikers he had beat up the other day would eat them like breakfast.

"We..." the girl started.

"Thought you might get a tour around the dark scary underbelly of town, didn't you?" He sported a wide, predatory smile. Beethoven had caught up to him and looked at the two kids with curiosity. The Hunterheart crouched and scratched his ears without taking his eyes off them.

"We... we should probably go." The guy was pale. He stood up quickly and helped the girl up on her feet.

Ah. Fear. That was more like it.

"So soon?" He made a face. "Don't think I can let you do that."

He stood up all of a sudden and started walking towards them, with Beethoven growling threateningly by his side. That was all it took. They were almost fast enough that he wouldn't have been able to catch them if he had really wanted to. Almost.

A few minutes later he was back in his own alley, Beethoven lying peacefully on his lap. So were Buck, Baskerville, and the others. He guessed we're officially a pack by now.

"Well, that was easy," he said, shortly before falling asleep.

3. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was just a store on Valentine's Day. Just like you would expect from a store on Valentine's Day it was all full of cards, balloons, chocolates, flowers, human-sized teddy bears and lovers looking for yet another oh-so-imaginative gift for their oh-so-beloved paramours.

It was all there, the desire of infatuation, the sorrow of abandon, the wrath of jelousy and oh yes the fear of adultery. Go, good ladies and gentlemen! I'm sure roses and Winnie-the-Pooh are all it takes to buy you love. He just stood in the middle of it all, breathing it in. He reached blindly for a card from the stand right in front of him. You mean everything to me. He remembered.

"So, when are you coming?" she asked, exhausted. It was twelve minutes until midnight and she had been working in her art project all day. It was just before Valentine's Day.

"Couple hours, tops," he promised, shouting over the phone and above the noise of the crowded nightclub while he drank from a huge mug of foamy, cold beer. "You should sleep. I'll make you breakfast. Get you a stuffed puppy, too."

"You're my puppy," she teased. "See you tomorrow."

"Sleep tight."

So he emptied his mug, hit the dance floor and came back for seconds. So did Matt.

"Hey, buddy! Where's Sir Frown-a-lot?"

He laughed and pointed back to his cousin, who was sitting silently in the bar sipping distractedly from a glass of water. Arthur didn't look anything like him, with his blond hair and overall paleness. And Matt, well, he had all the ebony complexion and jovial nature that his other drinking buddy lacked.

"Are we leaving already?" Arthur asked, looking at the dance floor like it was a particularly stinky junkyard.

Matt laughed.

"We are soon to be boots on the ground, Joker. Dead men walking. They haven't got this in Afghanistan," he looked back. "You guys coming? I think there's free food back there somewhere."

"Join you in a minute."

Arthur grunted at that.

"Alright," Matt said, slapping them both on the shoulder and leaving.

He took a deep sip of his drink and, before he knew it (had he gotten hammered so fast?) he was deep in conversation with a girl. Later he couldn't quite remember what she looked like — redhead, sweet curves, nice assets, that much was for sure — but she was just so nice and curious, and would ask the
    funniest questions.

"You ready to be a hero, soldier?" she teased him.

So funny!

"Nah. I'm modest," he grinned, blinking a couple times to shake off the early effects of the alcohol. "I'll be happy to be alive."

"We should go," Arthur urged him.

"We should dance," he told her, ignoring his cousin. Maybe it was the beer, but for the first time in what must have been ages he felt... free! Uninhibited. Like he could have fun. What did Arty know of fun? He would not let him ruin it, dammit! Was she up for it? Of course she was up for it! He chivalrously offered his hand, and they walked away under Arthur's disapproving glare.

He woke up with a bitch of a headache, in what seemed to him like a bed in what looked suspiciously like his own room in his own apartment. He pressed both hands hard against his head, which felt like it had been pounded over and over again with an M249. When the pain started receding he noticed he wasn't alone.

"You little beast," the voice came filled with disgust. "You're pathetic."

He opened his mouth, maybe to deliver a witty retort. But, as if the universe wanted to prove his cousin right, all that came out of it and down onto the floor was vomit.

Love. Yeah, right. Half of the people in this store likely wouldn't remember their lover's name a couple years from now, and the other half would just bitterly stand them until death did them apart. What was love if not a fairy tale? A dream for the gullible? A passing, brief, ultimately irrelevant flash of emotion?

But there was power in emotion. And he was a gullible dreamer, or at any rate had once been, and this was a fairy tale. He put the card back in place and made his way out of the shop. There was a party at the Blue Note, and he couldn't possibly miss it.

5. Likes Origins, Forn Clakes, Travisc06489 liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Not going in without an ID, kid."

The guy at the door must have been new. Or more likely, he just hadn't met him yet. He was bigger and looked meaner. Did he really seem that young himself?

"I work here. Ask Richard if you want."

Well, kind of. It's not like he had been officially hired or anything. Just a little money on the side, that was all. The other bouncer remain thoroughly indifferent. Could he beat him in a fight? Probably, but there was no point in trying. Sighing, the Hunterheart took out his ID. Tough Guy gave it the most leisurely inspection a bouncer had ever given any piece of legislation ever before nodding and stepping aside. He was putting it back in his pocket when he noticed someone observing the situation from over his shoulder with that specially irritating combination of curiosity and amusement.

"What?" he demanded.

The guy in question was a redhead dressed up in what he felt inclined to describe as weirdly inadequate for a nightclub. Who does he think he is, Steve Jobs? He obviously had money. Expensive golden watch, very expensive Apple phone resting on his hand, and a group of undoubtedly also very expensive groupies trailing after him.

"Nothing, mate. Chill."

He spoke with a vaguely British accent, but there was enough American in it to throw anyone off. He entered the club right after him. Tough Guy didn't bother to ask him or his very young looking female companions for anything. He must have been an usual, because a lot of people seemed to recognize him as he strode through the club. What the changeling couldn't understand was why he seemed to be sensing quite literally a lurking fear in the room all of a sudden.

It had been unavoidable. He had just been doing his job. He felt warm blood running down his brow and sweat all over his body as his breathing intensified. The rich kid — Graham, that was his name — was tougher than he looked. Nonetheless, he had gotten a bloody nose for his trouble, which he was now holding bent over in pain. He placed himself at a safe distance from him and adopted a fighting stance, fists up. Around them a crowd had formed.

"Argh," the other guy rose up slowly, still holding his nose. "Bloody hell."

He shook his head in annoyance before staring straight at the Hunterheart and raising his hands as a sign of defeat.

"'Right, mate, you win. I'll leave," he grits his teeth. "For now, anyway."

He strode out furiously; a couple of the girls that came in with him followed not without uncertainty. The others seemed to want to get as far away from that Graham guy as possible. Everyone slowly started going back to whatever they were doing earlier, or whispering while occasionally glancing between the changeling and the door. Richard would kill him for this, most likely. He felt someone's hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you," a girl said, handing him a napkin.

He took it hesitantly and wiped the blood on his brow.

"No problem."

7. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I only need you to stay out for a couple days. Just until everything's clear, y'know?"

"It's okay, Richard."

"It's for your own good, kiddo. The last thing I want is for that little brat to come by to get back at..."

"Richard!" he shouted, forcing a smile. He finished putting the last of the supplies inside his new backpack and pulled the zipper. "I know. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

He had always thought the older man had a very uncler-ly look, the kind that seemed more appropriate for a televangelist than for a nightclub owner. This was even more accentuated when he was worried. Now he nodded and patted him on the back.

"Alright, son," he laughed softly. "I don't know why I worry. You did give him a run for his money. The way you beat him up one would think he had been bothering your girl."

He tried to laugh with him. He failed.

"Just to make sure we're all on the same page, you're going to apologize."

You could tell Matt was pissed. That barely contained anger seemed disturbingly inconsistent with his friend's usual easy-going nature.

"Yeah," Artyom snorted, with his characteristic Russian accent. "'Love, I'm sorry I fucked someone else. On Valentine's Day no less. Honest mistake. Now, what do you say about makeup sex, hmm?'" he snorted again, even louder this time. "
    Chush' sobach'ya!"

He was right, of course. He doubted any amount of apologizing would get him out of this one. Sarah had pretty much kicked him out of their apartment, didn't return his calls, ignored his texts... She had even returned the flowers he had tried sending. He could hardly blame her for that, though. The move had seemed pathetic even to him.

But he couldn't give up without trying. So he nodded to Matt, took a deep breath, and got out of the car. It was almost spring, but New York was still friggin' cold, with a layer of snow thick enough to make walking outside a chore. He trudged towards a tall building off the side and took the elevator up to his old apartment door. Matt and Artyom followed at a distance. Once there he knocked. He waited. No one answered. He knocked again. Nothing.

Maybe she wasn't home. Except... he heard people talking. Should he leave? He had barely been able to muster the courage (and said aside the pride) to get this far. He wasn't sure he could pull it off again.
    Oh, fuck it. He took his keys out and opened the door.

Now he was sure he heard someone. And what he heard... His blood froze.
    No, it can't be. He strode all the way to what had been their room, in the back of the apartment. His heart was racing. He was deep in denial. He opened the door.

She was with a guy. He didn't know him. They were both half naked, and by all appearances just getting on with it. The door's sudden opening had startled them.

"Arden..." she started, looking at him with... was that fear?

It must have shown on his face. He himself felt very strange. He wasn't at all familiar with it. Oh, he had felt angry before. Angry at his mother, angry at his father, angry at his cousin, angry at his superiors, angry at the world, angry at
    himself. But that was quiet, rational anger, if that made any sense. Human anger. This was pure, primal, unadulterated rage.

He took a hold of the guy. He barely noticed how he looked like on the whole. Sandy hair, angular face, maybe blue eyes? All that mattered was that he wasn't nearly as strong as him, and could have barely presented any kind of resistance even if he had expected the attack. He slammed his head against the door. Had that knocked him out?
    Don't know, don't care. He fell to the floor, and the marine followed him soon enough, legs holding his opponent in place as a punch and another, and another, and another fell on his face. Sarah was screaming for help, trying hopelessly to separate them.

Someone did. Matt and Artyom had caught up, and were pulling their struggling friend away from the unconscious, bloody mess he had created.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Hands where I can see them!"

Fuck. Three against one wasn't fair. Especially not three cops, pistols drawn out, pointing at him. He started raising his hands He couldn't go back. He just couldn't. Why was Cairo so fucking hot? All of a sudden, he turned and sprinted away as far as he could manage. He heard the feds' curses and commands. He fully expected them to shoot. But, for some mysterious reason, nothing came. And soon enough, there was just silence.

"So you're friends with Kate?" the man asked while pouring him some lemonade. "I don't think she ever mentioned you."

He was a single dad, apparently. Godless job.

"We frequent some of the same places. When she stopped showing up I got worried."

Well, not really. They had met exactly once, when he got that creeper Graham out of her face. He had gone back to the club and Richard had informed him the girl (who apparently had just hit the age of consent a couple months back, the little rebel) had been going every weekend without a fault... until now. Well, no need to worry, he had thought. Maybe that thing with the rich Brit scared her off. Maybe she's grounded. To be sure he got her address from other kids at the club and now here he was.

"I... I don't know what may have happened to her. Ever since she turned eighteen, well... She's disappeared a few times, but she usually left a message with her friends, or..."

And now she was missing. Painfully missing. Her father was afraid. He could smell it. He could taste it. He tried to control the guilt. It's not my fault.

He had hidden inside a trash container. In messier times he might have been less willing to do so, but now... Well, thinking, sentient humans could be incredibly silly sometimes.

He glimpsed through the small opening left over by the lid. He didn't dare to move, or even to breathe. The cops were the least of his concerns now. Right in front of his hideout, with a bolt deeply set in his throat, was one of them.

Someone was whistling somewhere outside of his vision range. Something grey came into it just before he realized what it was. A coat. What kind of crazy person wore a coat during summer in fucking Cairo? Except, all of a sudden, the weather felt strangely chilly. The outside was much darker, like a cloud had just placed itself right in front of the sun. The man with the coat leaned down in front of the fed to recover his crossbow bolt. He had red hair.

Every instinct in his body told him to run. But how, and more importantly, where to?

"The police came over?"

The older man held a glass in his hand, but didn't pay any attention to it. He was staring glassy-eyed at the floor. The question seemed to snap him out of it.

"Someone... A man came. He said he would look into it. He left a number in case I needed him or, or... something came up."

His voice broke down to a whisper. He did point to the table just in front of Nathan. There was a paper laying there, with only a number and a name scribbled in pen on it. The handwriting seemed vaguely familiar. Curious, he grabbed it for a closer look.

The number he didn't recognize. The name, however, read Arthur van der Meer.

10. Likes InvertedMonkey, Travisc06489 liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

This downpour felt very out of place.

It had caught him by surprise, and now he just sat on a couch in the middle of the living room, waiting, with water falling from his hair, soaking his clothes, dripping in the carpet. He almost felt cold. It was laid in the evening and the rain hadn't stopped, so the sky outside was pitch dark. It was a very nice living room though. Arthur must be doing well. Though he very much doubted he was responsible for the decor. The room just wasn't spartan enough.

What was he going to say to him? He doubted Arty remembered him fondly. He never had liked him, and he had given him plenty of reason to continue holding that point of view. He wouldn't be happy when he found out he had sneaked into his apartment. Maybe I should leave. But no, it was too late. Running wouldn't get him anywhere, that much was clear by now. He had come all this way, he might as well...

He froze when he heard a voice in the hall.

"He is in the city," a curt, irritated voice said as the sound of keys being handled came from the other side of the door. "That much I guarantee you," the sound of the lock giving away followed by the door opening. "We're a fucking spy agency. Find him."

A tall, blonde man put a phone back in his pocket and closed the door. He was wearing a raincoat, and even more water was meeting the floor. He put a suitcase on the floor.

"Maybe I can help with that."

Arthur stopped moving. Slowly, carefully, he looked up to meet the Hunterheart's eyes. His own were a stormy grey, but something seem strangely off about them.

"Arden."

"Yeah. Me."

Arthur took off his rain coat and hung it on the door without taking his eyes off him. He was wearing a business suit. He was cleanly shaved as always, but he had a small scar running from his chin and across his lips. That was new.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing much. Being left alone would probably be good enough."

Arthur was such an emotionless petri dish. He couldn't for the life of him read him. Blondie took of his jacket and put on the couch Nathan was sitting on, before moving on to the apartment's small kitchen and start going through the cabinets.

"It's not my duty to get you out of trouble whenever you screw up Arden," he sounded almost indifferent. "In fact, it's quite the opposite."

"That didn't stop you last time."

"Last time you hadn't killed a man."

"Not for lack of trying."

He put a coffee maker on the stove and heated it up.

"You really aren't helping your case."

The changeling stood up angrily.

"Look, I know I screwed up. I get that. But I wasn't in my right mind. I..."

"You didn't mean to," Arthur said sarcastically, turning his way. "It was a mistake. It won't happen again," he shook his head.

There was silence for quite a long while, the only sounds being the sputtering stove and the rain outside. When is it stopping? It's almost summer, for God's sake.

"I've heard all of this before. I think it's about time you took responsibility for your own actions. Maybe you should try paying the price for them, for a change."

"You don't think I have?" he exploded. "You have no fucking idea of what I've been through. I've paid for it, coz, I've paid for it sevenfold. I haven't had a single moment of peace since... since... Heck, since that night I messed things up with Sarah. You have no idea of the hell my life has been ever since then, and you have no right to judge me."

Arthur took a while to answer. The coffee maker began letting out smoke. He turned off the stove and put its contents on a cup. Only a single spoon of sugar. He hadn't changed.

"Maybe I know more than you think," he sipped from the cup and looked at the Hunterheart's face with mild curiosity. "Feathers. Fitting, I suppose."

The shock didn't let him speak. Only then did he notice what was wrong about Arthur's eyes — one of them seemed to be a different shade of gray than the other. How could he not have noticed it years ago? Unless...

"What happened to your eye?"

Arthur looked down to his cup for a moment, then gulped down the rest of it.

"Finding you took some..." he frowned, putting the cup back in the kitchen counter. "Sacrifices."

The shock hadn't left him. He could only ask himself one question.

"Why?"

"I am not getting you out of this one," he walked up closer to him, danger plain all over his expression. "I never should have done it in the first place."

Was that... fear, lurking inside of Arthur? It was such an inconsistent emotion with him that the changeling couldn't help but wonder if either of them... or both of them, were going insane. He didn't look afraid. Furious, sure. But not afraid. Not Arthur, right?

"But why?" he blurted out in confusion.

"You are..." Arthur kept walking towards him, forcing him to step back until he fell back on the couch. "Such a nasty little beast. You've always been. Selfish, and arrogant, and foolish, and so fucking blind."

The last part was almost a roar. All of a sudden, his hands grabbed the Hunterheart's throat and pressed until he found it completely impossible to breathe. He tried fighting him off, to no avail. His vision was just starting to fill with black dots when the grasp on his neck loosened.

"But I'll make you see."

Before he could say anything, Arthur's lips were pressed roughly against his own. He didn't protest. He didn't fight back. He didn't even think.

He just let go.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"So you're friends with Kate?"

The girl nodded weakly. She looked shell-shocked. Thousand yard stare, trembling lip, shoulders shaking...

"She's... She's my roommate. I got up to drink some water and-and..."

She wiped her eyes and looked away. Arthur continued without mercy.

"Did you hear or see anything the night she disappeared?"

She glanced up for a moment but then quickly looked down to the floor shaking her head.

"Is that so? Then why is it that I don't believe you?"

The shaking resumed. Her fear was dense, tangible, even more so than Kate's father had been. She had definitely seen something, but still...

"Arthur, can I talk to you just a minute?"

He dragged his irate cousin out of the dorm and into the hallway, giving the girl an apologetic look on the way out.

"I'm not exactly Tony Robbins, but even I can saw your people skills are crap. How you ever got your job I have no idea," Arthur opened his mouth, but Nathan preempted any attempt at a protest. "But since you obviously haven't noticed, that girl in there is terrified, and you're just making it worse. What do you say you go for a walk, ask around, maybe talk to the dean; I don't know, someone with whom intimidation might actually have a chance? I'll see what I can get from her."

"Fine," he answered while fiddling with his tie. Apparently, though, he couldn't resist a last biting remark. "Just try not to kill her. I have enough of a mess in my hands."

The Hunterheart snorted and made his way back in.

"Sorry for that. He really wants to get his hands on the asshole who did this. Can't say I don't share the feeling."

He sat on the bed, next to the girl, but at enough of a distance not to appear threatening. He aimed for his most sympathetic expression, digging it up from the dark abandoned recesses of his mind.

"I don't want to pressure you, but did you see something? You can tell me anything. I promise, I won't advertise it."

She bit her lip.

"It's just so crazy, I must have imagined it, or dreamed it, or..."

"Hey, I get crazy. Seen some pretty crazy stuff myself. The kind no one would believe if I told them. Trust me, I won't judge. Anything that helps us find your friend, anything... Well, that's worth a little suspension of disbelief."

There was just silence for a long while. Eventually she took a deep breath and started talking.

"It... It must have around midnight. I went downstairs to, you know, get something to drink. It was a really warm night. Except when I was coming back I felt this, like this chill," she shook at the memory. "Like temperature dropped a bunch of degrees all of a sudden. I figured it must have been a sudden wind or... But it was getting really, really cold, and pitch black. I was... I was scared," she close her eyes, made a pause, breathing slowly. He wasn't an expert, but it looked like some kind of yoga? College kids. "But the really crazy part, I thought..." she eyed Nathan, fear now blatant in her eyes, "I thought I heard..."

"Yeah?" he asked softly.

"Music. This creepy sound like it was coming from some kind of a... music box. It was really faint, but I'm sure it was coming from my... our room. Then it was gone, and by the time I got inside so was Kate," her tone was desperate. "Am I going insane?"

"Don't think so," he got up and put a hand on her shoulder. "Promise. Thank you... Joan, was it? That was very helpful. Anything else? Any more weird going on that night?"

She hesitated.

"Well, not that night. But Kate was acting all kinds of weird before. She said she was seeing things... Having nightmares. She woke up screaming, was terrified to look at any mirrors... She completely freaked out when she got those flowers."

"Flowers?"

"Dead flowers. In the mail. I picked it up. It came with a note. 'Wanna go out sometime?' That's... That's what it said."

An idea was beginning to poke at his mind. He wished he could make it stop. It was not pleasant. He sat back down.

"Let me guess. There's more, isn't it?"

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

There.

There was a whole crowd in the Sacramento Antique Faire. Some things caught his eye, an old watch here, a rugged typewriter, some supposed Native American memento here and there... But he barely bothered to acknowledge them, as his attention was focused elsewhere. The Hunterheart had finally caught a scent, and he was sniffing it closely for his prey. And sure enough, a flash of red hair among the crowd gave it away. He pushed his way forward, trying to keep his eyes on the man he was trying to follow. It was no use. Soon he had lost him, but he continued in the same general direction. Before he knew it he was around the edges of the faire. He looked around, finding only a lonely stand for his efforts. On top of it, prominently displayed... a music box?

"Oi, mate."

He turned at once, but not fast enough. An intense pain on his face and then he had fallen to the ground. He ignored it and rolled over immediately to get away from more punches. He got up fast, struggling to keep an eye on the smug Brit as he cracked his knuckles and put a red cap on.

"Knew you'd fall for it. I really ought to thank you, you know. You've kept a lot of attention off me," Nathan growled and got up. Graham grinned. "You hungry, mate? Been feeling a bit peckish meself. No worries, though. Hot and steaming bacon and eggs coming up."

What the hell is he...? That question answered itself pretty quickly, though. A girl had wandered off from the faire and was looking out towards the outer stands, occasionally glancing towards the river just behind them.

"Oh, no. Don't even think about it. I'll fucking kill you if..."

"No, no, no, mate," Graham put both hands up, his expression the very image of fake innocence. "I ain't that selfish. She's all yours."

Before he could ask what that meant, Graham turned to the stand where the music box was and fidgeted with the gears. A soft, soothing music played, but there was a lurking, dark quality to it. Nathan couldn't decipher it as right then he felt a powerful fear overtake him and he jumped back closer to the harbor. It was irrational, it was primal, and soon he felt himself howling as he glanced dark oily shadows from the corner of his vision. Graham had vanished and the music box with him, the sound only distant now, but it had done its work. Crouched down, the Hunterheart growled and foamed, fearful and angry and sorrowful all at once.

"Sir, are you...?" the girl asked, unsure.

He jumped on her, and she screamed. Her arms pushed against him feebly as his fangs aimed for her throat. She stank of fear, and her fear fed into his wild bedlam. He would have succeeded in tearing the fleshy, veiny contents of her neck quickly enough, but then he felt something hard hit the back of his head and fell to the ground again, dizzy.

"Are you alright miss?"

Arthur's voice sounded distant, and it made Nathan even more angry, but he couldn't fight the pain and soon he had faded into unconsciousness.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I-I... I wouldn't know, Arthur. I just hand out..."

The man was terrified, that much was for sure. He looked left, right, down, anywhere to avoid his cousin's eyes. The Hunterheart was picking up random items from the souvenir shop, a key chain here, a pair of glasses there, yet he could almost swear he heard their host's heart racing on the other side of the room.

"Quiet," Arthur said, and the shopkeeper shut up immediately. "There is a carefully constructed protocol to your job. Said protocol does not involve handing out... certain things to the wrong individuals."

"But I haven't..."

"Which is exactly what my colleague here," he raised his voice, "tells me you've been doing."

The shopkeeper glanced at Nathan and his eyes widened with recognition.

"I... I can explain..."

"Don't bother," he cut him off curtly. "Now, there are two ways we can play this. You can cooperate and I might help you get out of this with a light sentence, if I'm feeling generous. Or you can have a private chat with my associate, who I'm sure will have no problem recurring to... compelling arguments to convince you to do your patriotic duty."

Nathan was the perfect contrast to Arthur. The latter was all suit and tie, the former was all ripped pants and a dirty jacket. The Hunterheart had lit a cigarette and now, after puffing smoke out of his nostrils, he was showing an impressive set of fangs to the oblivious but nervous shopkeeper. It worked. He gulped down and looked away from the two men in abject fear. Tasty, nourishing fear.

"Here you go."

Arthur sealed the envelope and handed it to him. If the past was any indication, it probably contained a few hundred dollars.

"Don't you have people to do this kind of crap for you?"

"Yes. But not many I can use with impunity. Of those I can, there are even fewer I can trust. You don't officially work for the agency. In fact, you're dead, which makes it even more convenient. We can always use a ghost."

"Guess they don't call you spooks for nothing," he commented dryly, right before jumping off the table and walking out of the building.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread