Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1412) Meeting

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
    M
    Mace

Mace listened as Asp detailed the squads as she saw them. Well, she could work with Animus, that was fine with her. Working under Avis? This meeting had given her more insight into the mastigos' character. Avis would push her, that much was clear. She was a Mastigos, after all. It shouldn't have been a surprise, but the whole meeting was getting under her skin. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the piece of wire, twirling it around her fingers as she thought. She just needed to feel it in her fingers, to ground her. Things were getting more and more heated.

"I agree more training is a good thing," she said. Or really, any training on her part. She looked at Weavebreaker. "I don't know much about Sleeper military structure," she admitted. "The thing is, I'm not sure how applicable that is. We just don't have the infrastructure, and they depend on an already established hierarchy, when we're trying to find one. It's only the bunch of us in this room. We can't just port their practices whole cloth. That's my thinking." If she was wrong, she'd accept that. But that was the reason she'd spoken out against the idea.

"I don't know enough about us to know if those squads are good," she said. "But, perhaps it's a starting point." She kept turning the idea over, wondering what the others would say.

T

He'd raised a concern with Asp and she'd taken it on board. That was good enough for now.

"Those squads sound a'ight to me." the Australian said, voicing his approval. "It'd be good to know more about tactics and stuff too ay. Most of my experience has just been one on one and quick dirty fights." he added liking the way the conversation way going.

Jonokuchi

PRE

Jonokuchi had remained silent as he took in the admission by Animus, agreeing with Asp's assessment that this was not the time for punishment.

Her next point caught him off guard.

"I am no leader, Asp-san," he interjected, bluntly. When neither Striker or Weavebreaker made negative comments regarding the appointment, Jonokuchi wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

The silence from the big Warlock remained. He was still contemplating just what he could bring to this table.

A
    Asp

"You're right, Weavebreaker. Those are just a start, while we get our house in order," Asp explained, scanning the group. "Adjustments are gonna need to get made as we realize who works best with who and whatnot, but we need something to go with for the start. And you're all also correct about the need to change the way we train. Our training needs to be developed into a good program that helps prepare us generally, rather than just a bunch of sparring. Mental preparation, teamwork, intelligence gathering, strategy, and emotional preparation are all just as important as being able to fight. I'm still in good with my former Mentor who can pass on some good advice as to how to do that, but that program is going to mostly need to come from us. What are you good at? What are you not? And what could you share with others that could help the Order as a whole? Knowing how to find and clear up evidence, tactical skills, psychology, past experience with enemy forces, intelligence gathering, getting gear, training in leadership, these are just a few examples of things that take us from being fighters to being a properly organized military force.”

She let that sink in for a moment. It was important that people step up to teach and fill in those gaps, because they sure as hell weren't going to fill in themselves.

“For example, Weavebreaker, you've been living at Banisher U in hiding for ages. Think you've picked up enough about 'em that you can put together a primer on Banishers for us so we've got a tactical briefing going into our upcoming war at the University?”

Then, to Avis.

“Avis is a Mind adept who's already shown us how dangerous our emotional soft spots can be, and we've got to be prepared for what's to come. It's not a question of if our enemies will use our weaknesses against us, just a question of when. If we're cracking, then they'll take advantage of that.” she explained. The blonde's eyes flicked up to meet the brunette's dull ones. “You willing to put training together to help us keep our shit together?”

Finally, to Jonokuchi. A smile crossed her face.

“And Jonokuchi? You could have fooled me. If you want to cede it to another, that's up to you, but people here look up to you.” She gestured around the room. "Ask anybody. You're Recognized for a reason. Have faith in yourself, man. I know I have faith in you. If you want to learn techniques to lead, that can happen. But I think the stern stuff is there."

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Um," Avis said, holding a hand up in the air like they were in a classroom. "I have a question. Directed to everyone here," she clarified, dropping her hand. "I feel like we're assuming that we want to be like a modern military. Why would we want that? We don't have numbers. We don't have big infrastructure. We're gonna be like guerrillas. We're gonna be skirmishing. It's gonna be more gang land than it's gonna be pitched battle with banners held high. So why are we trying to copy the mindset of the giant-ass military organizations? Shouldn't we be looking more to like, ya know, warrior cultures? Like tribes and stuff? I don't think we should be a machine. We should be a cohesive unit of individuals."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

6. Likes Forn Clakes, Teeramus, RebornSeas liked this post

Jonokuchi

PRE

The sumo gave Asp a nod of his head, a bow of sorts. His chair creaked under the movement. The self-loathing would always remain, the constant barrage of hate that was totally focused inwards. Moments like these, trust instilled into him by others on his actions, aided to relieve the doubt he thrusted on his own shoulders.

"Before leaving my homeland," Jonokuchi rumbled, his voice low yet deep, "after my Awakening, I took interest in the gathering of information, a skill I learnt from my sensai. With a combination of Space and Time, I could fill the gap of intelligence gather if required."

At Avis' idea, focusing on tribal warrior cultures over larger military structure, Jonokuchi could not help but smile. They had been focusing solely on mimicking an organisation that was out of their reach.

"Shinobi."

The smile that split the sumo's face was a rarity, the thought of the mercenaries and spies of Japanese history that had become something of folklore and myth in Western pop culture. It was obvious the Warlock had loved the stories and shows that involved ninja. His eyes moved around the table, aware that this rare show of excitement was perhaps out of place.

"Ninja-clans were small and tight-knit, preferring to fight from the shadows than in open warfare like the samurai. It could also work for our uses."

Weavebreaker

Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow | Consilium

Gnosis ●●● | WP ●●●●●●● | Mana 9(12/3)

Ritual Spells Active

Supernal Vision(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 10

Transform Aura(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 9
    Current Scenes

The Descent of the Circle

Phantasmal Armor - 6
    Supernal Vision - 5
    Mage Armor - 3

Mana - 7
    Willpower - 6

All the Kings Men

Supernal Vision (Cloaked) - 5
    Transform Aura (Sleeper)(Cloaked) - 4
    Mana 7
    Witch Hunter

Health:
    Mana
    Willpower:
    Armor 2
    Defense 2

Vulgur Spells in Scene - 4 (+2 Paradox)

Spell Tolerance - 2 (@3(-1))
    Active Spells - 3/6
    Read Matrices - 1
    Unseen Shield - 3
    Reduced Friction - 2

PRE

"I think a fundamental problem is that there is a gap in knowledge of military structure and tactics within this room." Weavebreaker slowly shifted her attention. "The reason we would want to be like a modern military is because it is going off of a knowledge base of everything that was a precursor. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, so to say..."

"Realistically the number we have in this room is the makeup of a typical squad." Weavebreaker let out a soft sigh, before her eyes moved to Jonokuchi. "Since I have known you Jonokuchi, you have shown much wisdom and consideration. I have seen you get frustrated but I have never seen you let your emotions effect your decisions. I think those are exemplary qualities of leadership...and you would be my best choice for leadership of this squad."
    Obrimos | Adamantine Arrow
    Gnosis ●●● | WP ●●●●●●● | Mana 9(12/3)

Supernal Vision(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 10

Transform Aura(Cloaked)(Month)Potency 9

9. Likes Cayce, Forn Clakes liked this post
    M
    Mace

Mace considered Avis' question. Considered it deeply. She'd been following Asp's suggestion, but Avis question rasied an alternate she hadn't thought of before. Even if it wasn't exactyl the most appropriate. "I think I've been drawing connections to my impression of the military, because it's the closest thing I colud think of," she said. "To be honest, I know even less about a lot of the other warrior cultures as I do the modern military. Even if I did say we shouldn't use some of their practices because of the lack of infrastructure. But you bring up a good point, we should take inspiration from wherever we can." She glanced around the table. "What if we pick a structure that's more flexible. The idea of specialized groups was already raised," she said with a nod towards Weavebreaker, "But any given situation would require a different selection of us. And at the end of the day, I think it's important for us all to be able to trust each other, not just our little squads.

"So maybe I was wrong in saying rotating was bad,"
    she admitted. "I still think we need to have one leader at the top," she added, "But what if the squads themselves rotate. Whoever has the expertise for the mission, with a squad leader selected from whoever's being sent along." She glanced around the table, wondering how the others would take the suggestion.

"As for my strengths, I can help with gadgets if you have something in mind. I know a thing or two about ghosts, and I can probably help with research."

"Why don't you tell us a bit more about the Shinobi," she said to Jonokuchi. "More information is not a bad thing right now."

T

"You'll make a good leader Jono, don't go all hypocritical on us, you just told Animus to step up." Striker offered in what he hoped was a friendly fashion. "And is anyone still against Asp leadin' us for now or is that sorted?"

Mace's comment about gadgets caught his attention. "If ya got something a bit bigger with movin' parts I might be able to help ya out too." he added. "I'm tryin' to set-up a bit of a workshop for that sorta stuff."

He wondered if there was anything else he should add, but people who seemed to know things were getting things organised, so he sat back and listened to what else the others had to say.

A
    Asp

"Taking some elements from the military where it makes sense is good, but we're too small and our conflicts are handled way differently to copy 'em wholesale," Asp mused, coming down onside with her cabalmate and Mace. There were so many options. "As for the squads, I went with splitting into two sub-units for ease of splitting up and training in small units and as a whole, but if there's a better way... Mace's idea sounds pretty good and keeps us from stagnating into set arrangements." Have No Preferences, right? Things changed, and being too rigid in her preferences was something she needed to work on.

She gestured on to Jonokuchi.

"Say on, buddy," she said with a grin at the big guy, obviously curious about what the Japanese sumo was on to. At this point, she wasn't about to debate the politics anymore. Either they wanted her to lead them or they didn't.

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 4

You do not have permission to view the list of names.