“Does he know what he’s getting into?” Jason laughed on the other side, an ominous tone cleverly hidden.

“Oh, no nothing like that.” Mirroring her Sire’s laugh. They both kept the inside joke on either side of the phone.

Vivian had left Toronto at the same time Jason had, both to separate coasts. Their talks were veiled, as always now. Too difficult to make quick trips and meet in some dastardly place like Nebraska. She had heard talks of the ‘red necks’ that combed the middle to lower states in the union. Perhaps not the entire areas were like that, but those were enough rumors for her. Georgia or New Orleans, those were map worthy places; perhaps one day. Debutant balls were definitely for her, if they did that sort of thing anymore.

There was silence from the Daeva on the other side. She knew what was coming before he even said it, only because it was the way he was.

“So… have you told him yet?”

Vivian sighed, “Not yet. I’ve been contemplating it though.”

“Really. Well, that’s a first.” Jason stated succinctly. He knew everything she had been tangled into in Canada. “I hope you are taking precautions though.”

The blonde knew exactly what he meant; easy on the details. She wasn’t that sort of blonde. “The thing is, would he understand what I did, why I did it? Therein lies the issue. Not everyone understands our lifestyle, Jason. The few that tried thought it was disdainful.” Of course, they vanished shortly thereafter. Who would want that in their Requiem.

“Aww, Vivs, are you trying to replace me… sooooo quickly.” He mocked his Daeva Childer.

Not that Jason could see it, but Vivian shook her head. “Not replace, that’s impossible. I just hope there's a realization that I’m not easily pinned down.”

“Well, not in that sense, eh Vivs?”

She rolled her eyes, “Funny, funny.” They continued to speak for a little while longer. There was only one reason there was the need for this phone call, to warn him if she made the decision. Since he didn’t seem against it, well then she would ponder the matter further.

Deeply…

After speaking with her Sire, Vivian was in need of some nourishment that evening. When she went to the other downtrodden hotel in the Communal Zone, Vivian had raven hair that night. She was dressed like someone who was on a church committee. Estute, perfectly pieced together, barely ankles showing and still with her gloves on. In fact, it looked like she came out of Wednesday Catholic mass. She ordered a tall cranberry juice, while wearing white. It subconsciously gave some men the air of living dangerously, coaxing some flesh to speak with her.

And of course, it happened. Kine men were predictable for the most part. Especially those at a hotel lounge. They all had a purpose for being there and she knew it well.

When she went up to the room with the man, she’d removed all but her under things. He was enticed, to say the least. When she gave him the Kiss, she found she wanted more. Her old habits craved it. The blood rushing down her throat, the smell, the taste made her senses tingle and the need to fall into her old ways was strong.

But, she stopped herself. There was no need for that tonight. Some habits were hard to kick.

She had flipped through stations after getting into her Nova. Just one song reminded her of something. The Daeva wondered if it was a coincidence, maybe the piece of the song was a warning to her or perhaps for someone else. After all, the guy probably did a little magic of some sort…

But don’t make me your enemy, your enemy, your enemy...
So you wanna play with magic
Boy, you should know what you're falling for
Baby do you dare to do this?
Cause I’m coming at you like a dark horse
Are you ready for, ready for
A perfect storm, perfect storm
Cause once you’re mine, once you’re mine
There’s no going back

But the lyrics slipped away, and the other parts of the song Vivian was disinterested in. Insterting the tape converter, she went back to the music of her mp3 player. The sounds of days that were far more simple... well, for the most part.