An office in the underground level of Nox, Court, where the officials reside. Isn't that nice? New Reeve Chris Wooding thinks it is. But there is so much work to do that he had hardly found any time to redecorate the place. Not that he felt that much change was needed, he had always approved of Dillon's simple and classic style.

However, some things are different. There's no Testiment of Longinus to be found in the bookcase. The wall, directly behind the desk chair, is decorated with Japanese swords on a stand. This sheriff will not come after you with double blazing guns, or claws, for that matter.

There's a tranquil atmosphere in the office. No music is on, mostly because Chris isn't sure what would be appropriate, and he doesn't want to bother other offices with noise in his first week. Though, surely the whole underground level must be pretty sound proof. Lastly, for those actively using their nose, there's a subtle hint of cedarwood in the air. It's the smell of Virginian Cedarwood oil, which is said to have purifying and protective powers. A necessity, if you ask the Hierophant, to ritually cleanse this office of negative energies.

Chris seems busy as he's going through some books, but the door to his office is open.

The presence that moves through Nox is one of poise and horror all at the same time. It was not one that the nascent Reeve was unfamiliar with; he'd met Lord Baldwin shortly after returning to Sacramento, one night at Reverence. There, he'd looked alive. False life, spread through stolen Vitae, but alive nonetheless. Here, in Elysium, Peter Baldwin felt no need to hide what he was.

Cheeks were sunken, like a corpse. The lines of his face were deeper. Where the humane had at least some semblance of an air of humanity about them, all the Knight had was the Menace. Everything about him screamed tension, like he was set to snap. Everything but the Invictus poise. He wore Clan colours that night, his black suit with a dark green shirt and jade-coloured cufflinks, and the ring bearing the Thorned Wreath adorned its usual hand. That hand clasped a neat blue manila folder.

His fist lightly rapped on the side of the open door. The decor had changed. So it was that there was a new Reeve.

"Reeve Wooding."

He bowed politely to the young-looking man before him. It wasn't deep. Wooding's Status in the Domain wasn't the same as Connery's. But it did show respect, both for the man and for the Office. After all, this was the one His Grace had chosen to be his chief law enforcement officer.

"Good evening. Do you have a moment?"

If only the Cedarwood was truly protective, it would probably have kept the Menace outside. Because there's no way to deny the Haunt's frightening presence. Chris looks up as he hears someone at the door, his expression is deadly serious for just a moment.

'Ah,' then he smiles, and he gives himself a second to come up with the appropriate way to address this man, 'Lord Baldwin.' He greets the Knight with a polite nod. Even though their Beasts are both hidden, an inner urge to fight still rises. This man looks dangerous, and violence might be the only way out.

However, for now, politeness will have to do. The Reeve is in control of himself, as he should be. 'Of course, please come in.' He gestures towards a chair at the opposite side of the desk. He closes some of the books that were scattered around the table.

Once Peter Baldwin is seated, Chris will nod again, encouraging him start speaking.

"Thank you."

Lord Baldwin set himself down in the chair. His back did not touch the back; even in sitting, the Haunt's poise in Elysium was noticeable. Little things, little signs; these were the marks of respect for the Sheriff.

"I come bearing gifts," the Haunt said, offering the file to Wooding. "Some might bring you trinkets; I suspected that a new Reeve might value information more." A small smile crossed his face. "And so, I have brought you the particulars of an investigation that I am running. The file details the operations of a clique of businesspeople that are trying to push their way into Sacramento. The group, I suspect, is led by one Nefertiti Khan. That is a complete file of all of the intel I have available, if it would be of assistance to you, Reeve Wooding."

'Gifts?' What a surprise! Chris smiles, and nods as the takes the file, 'I can tell you one thing, no one ever brings me trinkets.' He laughs softly while scanning the information. It's not as if that fact saddens him, it's the simple truth of a non-Invictus vampire.

'You were completely right though, I do value information more. Whether I should credit that to my Mekhet nature, Covenant affiliation, or indeed to my new Domain position - I cannot say with certainty.' Another smile, he's just saying random stuff while he absorbs the intel of the investigation.

After half a minute, he looks up again. 'You might not have realized it, but this file is indeed of great value, as I'm meeting with this Nefertiti Khan soon. I've heard a short version of this investigation from Max Heinz. You were the one initiating the "commando assault", am I right?' Chris sounds slightly amused, revealing this knowledge to Baldwin. The man must like his reputation if walks around like a corpse.

'I could keep you updated on the investigation, and what I find out at the meeting, as a way of thanking you?' So far, that's all a newly appointed Reeve can offer. Of course, only if the Haunt is interested.

Baldwin is as still as the grave as the newly minted Sheriff goes through the file. He does not blink. A thought occurs to him: why is this Crone known as a Reeve? Such a thing is an Invictus designation. Curious. Unimportant. Something to ask the Au Pair in the future.

"Commando assault?"

A slight twitch of the Haunt's lips upward followed, a sign of amusement.

"I like that. That is an apt description. It was... effective. We scouted the area, determined that more intel could be found within, and took four guards along with materials that should prove interesting. They're ours, now. I'll make them useful." The smile he gave the Reeve was positively chilling. "But yes, sir; this investigation is something I've been working on as a Knight, from the first signs of it. If you were to share information with me, I'd appreciate it. Coordination and working together is best, I think."

He frowned, recalling something of tactical significance.

"They had weapons, Reeve, pistols with odd bullets inside. Bullets I can't identify, but they're definitely not normal. I'll provide you a sample. If they have special weapons to defend their sites with, that's something to be careful of."

Chris leans back in his chair, shrugging lightly, 'That what Mr Heinz called it.'

As he listens to the Knight, he understands why the man is prized by the rest of the Domain already. He's the kind of guy that gets shit done. Useful.

'You took four of her men?' The Reeve arches his eyebrows, surprised, he should not present himself as Reeve to Ms Khan. 'Im sure they'll be useful soon. This organization is quite large, and eventually we might need all the manpower we can get.' A matter also discussed among Shadows.

Except for the mysterious bullet part. 'That sounds worrisome. Although Ms Khan seemed to possess some sort of magic, that might have influenced her weapons as well. If you could indeed provide me a sample, I might be able to get more information from it.' Auspex is famous for it.

Baldwin remained impassive as the Reeve seemed surprised by his methods. Was it really so bad, using Kine against their former masters? Was this not what the cattle were? Food, pawns and guns? It wasn't humane. But it was necessary evil, for a greater good. Every Knight knew how that was, for that was what they were, too - the violence that kept the Castle pristine and secure.

And Wooding seemed to understand it. There wasn't shock or outrage, not that he could tell. Just... surprise.

"If they let me take more, I will,"
the Knight said, a wry smile crossing his dead lips. "They come pre-trained and pre-kitted. What more could we ask for, really?"

Warriors, ready made and there for the taking.

"Magic. Hmm." Sounded like a Crone thing. "We can do that. I didn't wish to bring a weapon or ammunition into Elysium, but if you're willing to take one of the weapons off our hands, I'll be more than happy to provide it."

After all, the Law still applied to the Thorned Wreath.

Just surprise, that's right. Maybe he's surprised by Baldwin's innovative and capable ways of handling things. The Hierophant can't say he has ever called humans cattle, yet, but he has witnessed rituals where they get sacrificed just as easily as the cows and bulls. Though he doesn't think it has happened in Sacramento, not in the last few years. And it may not happen soon, for him, humans still have some value.

'I can think of something else,' he says with a grin, 'maybe they have valuable information regarding the power structure of this whole organization. What strange influence does Khan seem to have over others? Or even an idea of how many manpower they have would be nice.'

But yes, using them as cannon-fodder is also a good idea.

He nods, 'Yes, you did well. I will contact you after my meeting with Nefertiti Khan, than we can come up with a bigger plan - hopefully final. Investigating their weapons during that meeting could prove to be quite useful.'

"I can tell you more about their manpower."

Lord Baldwin leaned forward ever so slightly. With the Menace's sinister influence, the motion was akin to a cobra flashing its hood. His hands remained right where Chris Wooding could see them; the Knight knew the impression he gave and tried his best to control it - even if it never could be.

"Each of their locations has guards from this company, Mameluke Security, which I am certain is just a front for a Khan company. They maintain a mobile unit in a van, which I get the sense has a bunch of men that are a response team in case of an incident. We stayed ahead of it by being quick and quiet, and made sure we were gone before they got back."

He gestured with an open hand, as if to suggest there was more.

"Vehicles. Special weapons. Armor. Good communications. All of it points to a force that is highly dedicated - and I wouldn't be surprised if they were armed to deal with Kindred, even if they don't know it."

Baldwin leaned back a little again, though his back never touched the chair. Respect.

"They're building a pyramid underground, and I found golden statues of people in positions of absolute horror in what looked like smelting facilities for their creation. The statues looked like they were in agony - we took one. We also took a bunch of photographs, film reels, computer equipment and items of that nature for analysis. I am keeping those items at a house controlled by my mortal instruments." He frowned. "Reeve Wooding, have you ever heard of such a thing? It screams of the occult. A pyramid is a symbol of Egypt, which makes me think mummies, pharaohs, and that sort of thing."

The Reeve nods, that would be useful information. He grabs his notebook and a pen. It's time to start writing some facts down. And it gives him something to look at. The Menace is unnerving.

'They appear to be incredibly well organized. Do you happen to remember what type of van?' Something to look out for.

Then there's even more information. Chris nods a few times while making notes. But he looks up when Baldwin mentions the statues, almost not believing what the Haunt says.

'The pyramid plan, crazy. This all reeks of the occult, yes.' He pauses, thinking things through. 'Make sure the house is absolutely secure. I will make some time to investigate it all, soon. Nefertiti seemed to possess some defensive, or I guess for us offensive, magic. If any of the items are influenced by it, I should figure that out before anyone gets hurt.'

'If ever you feel uncomfortable with all the materials in your possession, we can store them here.'

Baldwin shrugged. "I'm not uncomfortable with having them, but it makes more sense to store the materials somewhere secure. A house owned by mobsters is not a place I can guarantee is safe, especially against a force of well-armed and trained men. If you have a secure spot here and want to authorize the storage, then we can see about getting it transported here. That keeps them defended by the Domain and will allow you free access to everything for your investigation. I will see to it that Nefertiti Khan's men are our men, as well." He smiled. There was nothing nice about it.

"As for the van, we didn't see it. We got clear before they arrived. The security company is called Mameluke. Perhaps someone with the right contacts could look into their outfit for us?"

'I will discuss the storage options with the Royal Court.' Chris wants everything here, but he has no idea if that's even possible. Clearly for all the reasons Baldwin just described, Nox seems the better option.

As for the van, they just have to hope it looks like one of those typical "unobtrusive" back-up vans. 'If the internet doesn't provide any useful information, I think I may know a few people. Otherwise, I believe Lady Sage has her own useful network.' Like, the First Estate, to begin with.

Baldwin blinked twice, then realized something super obvious.

"I just realized. You could just read the security guardsmen's mind. And I could have them tell us, once they are blood-bound to me. It seems faster to me." He shrugged, then cocked his head just slightly to the side. "That is all I have to report for the moment, Reeve Wooding. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

'Oh can I?' Chris responds, smiling widely. Of course he can. 'Sounds like an idea. But feel free to interrogate them, as I have my hands full with many things.'

Sadly, nothing but the truth.

'You seem more than capable to get information out of them. If you think something's missing, I'll explore their minds.'

He thinks for a second, then he shakes his head. 'So far, no, I think you can keep yourself busy with the guards and the items that may need protection. Thank you for coming forward with this file, an effort I won't forget. I will see you soon after I've met Nefertiti Khan, together with several other Kindred involved.'

End Scene