Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
61 - 70
DISPLAYED
Children Will Listen (Open)

Page 7 of 9 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last

Grrface looks up at Betony "Hm? Oh." He shuffles over a bit closer and takes the skein in hand, feeding her pink yarn while she rolled "Like this?" He asks, looking up from what he's doing to register her response.

Why, yes! said the Jasons woman with an acid note of surprise in her voice. Have you done this before, Mr. Kosov?

PRE

"Thing with responsibility is, that means people sometimes have to make tough choices, sometimes even choices that get them in trouble. That's what makes for a hero, though. You know anyone who's had to do that, Sam?"

Sam's eyes get wide, and he nods slowly.

But I'm not a hero.

PRE

"Yeah, I thought you did, from what you drew here," Derek says, flattening out Sam's drawing.

Knowing Alicia is a smart and curious little girl, Derek figures she's going to try to listen in on what he and Sam are talking about, so he decides to make that just a bit tougher on her.

Fickle Fate

Alicia merely glances over at Derek and waves a little wave. She can't hear anything being said thanks to the IPod, and she has been starved for any artistic expression for weeks and weeks, and NO ONE is going to take her away from her crayon time, thank you very much.

PRE

"Hm, maybe an unnecessary precaution," Derek thinks. "Well, worst thing likely to happen is she messes up a drawing." He hopes that's the case, anyhow.

"Let's see if I'm understanding what you wrote here, Sam," Derek says, very quietly but also very calmly - no sign of anxiety or anything Samuel might take as criticism. "It sounds to me like somehow you ended up calling the Bag Man, and when he demanded you give him a name, you refused. Is that right?"

Grrface rolls his eyes and looks away. Hanging out with Betony Rue was a true test of patience. Still, he finds himself answering her "I've seen it done. My wife liked to knit. My daughter held the yarn for her when she did this."

He has no idea why he's sharing his past with the Ogre. He cringes imperceptively, anticipating the cold words that would inevitably follow.

Betony Rue eyed Grr, her dark eyes unreadable. You're doing a passable job of it, Mr, Kosov, she finally said. She added, so softly he wasn't sure he heard her, My family is gone, too.

No expression of tenderness or caring crossed her face, but it clearly cost her a great effort just to say the words. And with that, she was back to her normal, abrasive self.

Do hold the wool up, or it will get hopelessly tangled, she continued in a sharp voice.

Grrface hears the softly spoken words, but he is smart enough not to say anything. Maybe he would talk to Derek about it later.

Obediently, he raises the skein of thread, so that it's easy for Betony to gather and roll.

Page 7 of 9 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last
Closed Thread