Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
Children Will Listen (Open)

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

Samuel's eyes got big when he saw the comics. He understood superheroes. They did was what right.

But I wasn't good enough to be a superhero, he thought sadly. His bad mood didn't last long once he saw the IPod. He knew what it was, but not how to work it.

Alicia showed him after checking out her own gifts. It's like Christmas! she said, clapping her hands and looking at her books.

Hannah Montana!!!!!! she squealed, listening to her IPod. I remember these songs from ...before.She turned off the music as if hearing it had burned her ears and soberly said, Thank you, Mr Derek. I'll tell Miss Jasons you're here.

Samuel hugged Derek and smiled widely as the title "When I'm 64" displayed on his IPod screen. He set another place setting on the table, and watched Alicia start upstairs with a frown. He quickly followed his new sister, and took her hand. Both children left the room.

PRE

Derek returns Samuel's hug and starts showing him how to operate the iPod. He also tells Alicia "That's fine, but don't forget this," holding up her Snickers bar.

He had expected some mixed emotions from the kids, figuring some books or songs might trigger some memories of their homes, but he knew kids could be resilient and that well-meaning as Betony Rue was, they also needed some fun things.

Yay, candy!!!! I almost forgot! Alicia is cheerful again.

Miss Jasons provided stability, a warm, safe place to stay, and nourishing meals...but never EVER candy.

Samuel smiled, too. He turned, took his candy bar, and carried it hidden under the books. Just in case.

Betony Rue reached the bottom of the stairs just as the children were about to go again. She looked severely at the two and their new items.
    "Sweet are not to be had until after you've eaten."
    She held her hand out expectantly first to the Crandall girl and then to the Kincaid boy. Her gaze said she knew he had one. Derek was too softhearted to not try to spoil them both. She held her eyes on him until he gave it up.
    She put them both in her a pocket of her dress.
    "You may keep the other things but there also will be no reading during a meal nor listening to music while there is company."
    Having said her rules she looked to Derek and he saw that she disapproved of him introducing the items more than she did of the children accepting them.
    "Derek, thank you for coming," she stated her voice full of controlled malice.

Sam is disappointed to have his candy discovered, but relieved that he'll be able to actually eat it later. He handed it over without hesitation. Once Miss Jasons said something, he knew he could count on it to be true. He trusted her completely.

Alicia likewise had no problem turning over her candy. Should we go upstairs or stay with you? she asked uncertainly. She felt almost dizzy, but that didn't make any sense to her, and she pressed herself close to the ogre as she spoke, for reassurance.

PRE

"You're welcome, Betony Rue" Derek replies. "I saw Grr is already here. Has he managed to get hold of Al yet?

"He has not," she replied before turning.
    "Yes we are having lunch. Take these and get the Kincaid boy to help you put them away. Once you are finished we'll eat. I'll be along shortly." She handed the groceries to the Crandall girl.
    After the child had gone she stepped closer and addressed Derek. Each whisper help a hissing growl "You should not have gifted them such as you did. These children are and never will be part of your life once this is through. They need stability, not trinkets to win affection. It will only cause them pain when they leave."
    "Understand this."

She didn't wait for a reply she didn't want to hear. She went into the kitchen and fetched the lunch she had prepared. Sliced apples and carrots along with lunch meat sandwiches.and set it on the table.

Samuel wanted to tell Miss Jasons that his name was Sam, not "Kincaid Boy" but of course, wasn't able to. He sighed.

He hustled to the kitchen with Alicia, and put the groceries away. He was interested in what Mr Derek and Mr Grrface would say to Miss Jasons. Sometimes, because he never spoke, people forgot he was there, and he learned all kinds of secrets. He liked knowing things, and he didn't mind being invisible. Alicia will never be invisible! he thought, happy to have carved out a place for himself.

Alicia helped put the groceries away absent-mindedly. She could tell Miss Jasons was angry, but not why. She had become very adept at figuring out what other people were feeling. Let's go eat, she said to Sam. I'm hungry, and I want that candy bar after lunch!

Sorry for being away from this thread for so long

Grrface sighs when he realizes that Betony is probably right about Al not having a cell phone.

He's rescued from his one-on-one time with the Ogre when Derek walks in, taking some of the heat off him.

"Yo, Derek." he smiles at him "How's it going?"

"I haven't gotten ahold of Al yet. We were just talking about that. How do you think we should do it. Betony was just saying how she doesn't think he's got a phone."

Beton Rue came back when she noticed the other two hadn't followed.
    "Come have a seat," she commanded. She waited this time at the door, making sure they came. The children didn't give her this much trouble.

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Closed Thread