Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Children Will Listen (Open)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

A spark of life seemed to be returning to the house after having the scent of death hang over it for so long. Two young trees had been recently planted in beds of hedge nettle and under the windows grew subshrubs with a strong scent.
    Even it still echoed of emptiness and though it seemed reawakened the air was still ominously chill. It would remain to be seen if the boarding house would ever be warm and inviting again.
    From a window that had been opened to the Autumn air a child's voice sang
    Stab 'em with a point so long
    Choke 'em good and strong
    Drag 'em back into the fray
    Then throw 'em away

Betony Rue sat in a chair. The children had made a nest on the floor of blankets and string. The Crandall girl repeated the rhyme the Jasons woman had taught her as both she and the boy knitted chains of yarn with their fingers.

Sam was happy. He felt safe with Miss Jasons, quite sure that if the Bad Man came back, Betony Rue would take care of him. Probably in a grisly, satisfying way.

It had taken some time, but his body had healed, and he was mobile again. Still...no words were forming. It didn't bother Sam. He spent his days playing with Alicia, helping Miss Jasons and keeping busy. As Alicia sang the knitting song, he acted out the words.

Stab 'em with a point so long
    Choke 'em good and strong
    Drag'em back into the fray
    Then throw 'em away!

Alicia laughed at Sammy. She was happy, too. An only child, she had often felt lonely in the faraway time. Now she was busy, and had a brother to play with. She had stopped asking about her parents after the first week. They're not real anymore.

Betony Rue sat silently, doing a more practiced stitch while she thought. She mulled things over, glancing up now and again. The activity went on for a short time. Then the Jasons woman set aside her work.
    "Put it away, I wish to speak with you two," she said. Her tone, as always, didn't leave much room for argument. It was getting close to lunch anyway.

The children obeyed immediately and cheerfully. The structure of their days with Betony Rue was reassuring and neither wanted to do anything to upset that balance.

Yes, Miss Jasons? asked Alicia, with Samuel by her side.

"Crandall child, you said once that Jasper was able to speak to you in your dreams."

Yes, lots of crazy things happen in my dreams, said Alicia with a furrow to her little brow. Why do you want to know?

Betony Rue's hand tensed ever so slightly to keep from striking the girl for asking a question. She was not the Hag and the children were not apprentices.
    "I know the Samuel Kincaid has dreams about the Bagman," adults never listened. Betony Rue spoke to the Kincaid child "I am not skilled at healing such hurt and have not found others who are," and then to both "I want you to share Jasper, to see if he could sooth the dreams.
    You should be practicing your writing as well. Now that we have finished the planting I will have you both begin recording your dreams on paper during that time."
    "Does that sound agreeable?
    The unnecessary question caused the Jasons woman to wince.

A book of dreams? Can I make pictures, too? Alicia asked eagerly.

Samuel likewise brightened. He would love paper and crayons or paints. He had really wanted to tell someone what had happened to him, but without being able to speak, didn't think it was possible. Maybe I can draw something? Or write some words?

Alicia was not as happy with the idea of sharing Jasper, however. She frowned. He keeps me safe. Who will keep me safe in my dreams if I don't have Jasper?

She thought for a moment. Do you have a teddy bear? I think I could share if I had a growly bear to scare away the Bad Man. Maybe Mr Grrface has one. He kind of looks like a bear, she giggled.

"I will fashion one if that is what you wish." Betony Rue said simply.

Grrface drives up to the Boardinghouse. There were no P.E. classes after noon and so he didn't have to worry about skipping work to check in on the kids. He gets out of his car, but not before grabbing a full paper bag out of the back seat.

He enters the house and calls out "Betony? It's Gr-.. It's Mister Koskov."

He finds his way through the house to the room they occupied, smiling when he sees the children. "Hi you guys."

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread