Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(BN14) Buffet Table

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

As Morgan, hopefully, lead Catherine to the table full of food, she began judging what she could easily move and what she couldn't. Some of the stuff could be hot, but she'd wait on her "cooking safety contract" until after the knew if it was hot or not. When she arrived at the buffet she simply started rearranging things to make a space for Catherine's food. "Um, t-t-t-this spot should be, ugh-move, heh, fine."

Whilst standing there she decides to try the "people stuff" again, "Sssssssso, heh, h-how are you liking t-the Freehold Catherine? B-b-b-better then Ch-ch-chicago, yes?"

S
    Saeyer

Cake in hand, Ava made for the buffet table, sending an answering wave to Tessa . There was already such a nice spread, and so many baked goods, that what she held began to seem a little reduntant. But, there were plenty of people in attendance- surely there would be someone who wanted a piece. Flashing Morgan a broad smile, the fish-woman eyed the table for space. "Hey Morgan, how's it going? There space for a couple more things?"

The woman who the raccoon seemed to be helping caught the Nix's attention and she squinted at her briefly before breaking into a more polite smile. "Hi, we met briefly at the Fallen Fair. Sorry I had to rush off that time, Court stuff; I'm Ava." Honestly she couldn't recall the woman's name, so offering her own for re-introduction seemed a safe way to find out.

ooc

E
    Eris

Suppressing a sudden urge to discard her Tupperware tower and fling her arms around the petite critter, she trailed the intercepting Morgan as she directed Catherine toward the buffet. As the little Beast cautiously yet capably cleared a space amongst the other delicacies, she gently lowered her burden to the russet carpet. At Morgan’s inquiry Catherine grinned. Her nervous vocal tick only magnified her adorability in the eyes of the Fairest.

”Yes very much so, the freehold has been most welcoming. The people seem far less... disingenuous here.”

Her smile faltered a moment, as it often did when she thought about her time in Chicago; she hastened to smother the serpentine sense of sorrow and rage which slithered through her torso and coiled around her insides; struggling vainly to recall her cheerful expression but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. Feeling a growing need for comfort she knelt and enfolded the other woman in a heartfelt hug, almost losing an eye to the peak of the Beast’s dark baseball cap; her arms cool against the scuffed leather of Morgan’s jacket. She remained there for a moment before rising, her composure restored. Taking a minute to hide her face from the other changeling had given her what time her recovery required.

”Sorry Morgan, bad memories.” She gave a little sniff and wiped a bead of moisture from her eye.

She turned as another changeling spoke up behind her, greeting Morgan in a way that suggested casual familiarity. She ran her eyes over the new arrival, who had to have come straight from the shower if her damp hair was any indication. In-fact, if Catherine had to describe her she’d go with wet. Her scent was cool, aqueous, and not unlike Catherine’s own mantle. It seemed that there was another changeling competing for the title of who had the sharpest teeth, to the Fairest's reckoning this woman held the edge. Where Sam and Samuel’s grins bared razored blades hers were more... refined, when she opened her mouth wide Catherine was put in mind of the entrance to a cave, ringed by stalagmites and their descending counterparts. They seemed like they could do with a good meal so they’d come to the right place; appearing to have brought along something to share with the class. The new arrival introduced herself as Ava.

And did... did she just breathe light?

Catherine felt that she’d probably seen some stranger things from the ranks of the lost, Sam Hain’s pumpkin head and facial glow for instance, but this just felt strangely surreal to her. Realising that she neared the verge of discourtesy, Catherine offered a hand - accompanied by a slight, embarrassed smile - to her new acquaintance, or perhaps that should be re-acquaintance.

”I understand. My apologies, I'm known to the world as Catherine Brume have resided in your fair city for a little over a month now. Am I given to understand that you are well acquainted with one another?” She inquired.

Considering her own choice of words, Catherine paused for a moment, staring off into the distance as chewed upon her lip.

What is it about courtly functions that causes me to use such outlandish phrase? And why am I apologising to everyone tonight?

A
    AwakeOrangutang

"Morgan! Ava! ...Malory. So glad to see you! Decided I'd show up here, see what there is to learn. And you said your name is Catherine? Nice to meet you Catherine, I'm Tessa. Here, let me give you a hand with your stuff." The intro seemed a little rushed but there's was getting to be a lot of people at the buffet table. She needed to be able to greet everyone without making them feel left out. After all that was out of the way, though, she began picking the plastic containers of the ground and finding a place for them on the table.

As far as Changelings went, Catherine didn't seem to bad. Very white skin, like Daniel's, but it gave off less of a grave vibe and more of a blank paper vibe. Or canvas. Her hair sported shades of blacks, blues, and purples, but none of it like it was dyed that, just naturally so, like it was just a color with many hues. The most curious thing about her, to Tessa, was her smell. Like dust after rain. At least she assumed it was her smell, she hadn't smelled until she got near, although it did seem to come less from her and more from an unknown breeze.

"Ladies, this is Samuel. I don't know if y'all know him or not but I just met him so I thought I'd introduce him. And I believe, Morgan, he has a question of you. But I'll let him ask the specifics. In any case, welcome to the event. By the way Catherine, your cake looks delicious." As she spoke, the ferret helped herself to slice of several cakes as well as some stuff of the party platter of meat and cheese. Gotta keep a balanced diet, after all.

G
    Greebs

Trailing in Ava's wake, Mal made her own efforts to help make room for the food she carried through the medium of careful balancing acts, and aggressive grazing with her freed up hand. No sense in fighting on an empty stomach...

It also kept her occupied while Ava did her 'social butterfly' thing. Woman smelled too much of Coco for Mal's tastes... spoke like her too. And far, far too tall...

"Tessa..." she grumbled between mouthfuls. Eyeing the Ferret suspiciously. This was not the test her patience (and her promise to Ava...) needed right now.

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

Samuel followed right after Tessa, nodding politely to each of the women present, noting the names of those he didn't already know. Well, they don't look too dangerous, although that one is a little fishy. Chuckling internally at his joke, he crossed the final distance, tugging on the edges of his waistcoat and adjusting his tie before giving the ladies a very hesitant smile. "Ehm, hello. Yes, as she said, I'm Samuel." And she'd already lead into his question for Morgan. Fantastic! Although, it did mean if he started having last-second doubts about asking, they were no longer relevant. And the thought of doubts alone made him start having them. What if it was rude to ask about the knife? What if there was some big secret organization behind it and if he asked they'd find his body in the morning, in the river, bloated and rotting. Did Sacramento have a river? Did it matter? One of them looked like a fish, maybe she could make one spring from the ground just for this occasion!

The thoughts sent him into a cold sweat, but once again he reminded himself that it was too late now. If he didn't ask, that might be seen as rude, and then it might lead to the being found in the river etcetera etcetera. So he cleared his throats and smiled his big, toothy smile at Morgan instead. "Uh, yeah, I had a question, if you don't mind. I was, uh, wondering about, ehm, about her knife, and where you got it from. It looks like it was really well-made." He scratched the back of his neck as it responded to his even more elevated state of nervousness than usual by itching. Hopefully he hadn't made some sort of huge faux-pas.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Her small smile grew as Catherine confirmed Sacramento was nicer then Chicago. Morgan was pretty sure it was the case though she could have simply been the city's assigned butt monkey. Not that she wished suffering on the Fairest, yet it twas...better to know Chicago was just like that instead of it being a thing against her. Though she was surprised when she got a hug from the woman. Morgan never claimed to be smart, but she did get feelings decently and hugged the woman back. Through the tank top she felt some odd lines beneath. Twasn't clothing, skin had been visible by the firelight. The lines also had a familiar feeling that she knew from her own back causing her to wince in sympathy. She got a good glimpse of them from the back as well when Catherine turned around to greet the others. There were quite a few of them, well spaced, running from both shoulders. The line were visible in all the cutouts of the back of the tank top. Likely the scars covered her entire back and the Beast deemed it inappropriate to ask of the cause.

Though if the Fairest wanted to hide them she probably wouldn't have worn an open backed tank top.

As the taller woman recovered, she nodded in agreement and waved a hand in the negative and the bitterness in her voice wasn't directed at anyone here: "You are n-n-not require apology. THOSE areseholes b-b-back there are the ones that do. I STILL have n-nightmares over ssssome 'pranks'," the raccoon actually made air quotes at that last word, "they pulled...Least the brokers w-were professional."

Morgan didn't even twitch at the sight of Ava's smiling fangs. A strong contrast to how she usually reacted to sharp chompers. Instead, the Lady Scrivener and Iron Adjutant's arrival put her in a good mood. So the stutter became cheerful: "Heh-hiya Aaava! Ssssup Malory! Hugs b-b-but table-foods inna way, heh. Space place I make f-for Catherine food zzzzo j-j-just make zommm mmore cavities for stationing yer yum-cake, heh." And she did keep rearranging things as she made sure there was enough space for both dishes that had been brought by them. There was more space further away as well, but Morgan managed to make things squeeze in. "Oh, heh, A-ava? Did-do-will have inquiry on tasssk of Twilgiht-grk, Twilit Page job, heh-heh."

Ah, this was a better topic of conversation. She nodded a lot, "Yes-yuppers. We be friendssss. A-a-a-ava is mah boss: Lady Scrivener, reeeeally smarts too. I ask her advice lots, heh, and try be help. Mmmalory I met whiles back, memorable meeting, aaand she badass...a-a-and not sure w-w-what but think you have title, r-right Malory? Shoudl include badass in it I tiithink." The last part was said quietely but most coudl probably hear her.

And then Tessa bounced in, dragging along a familiar face, with big ears and teeth. That did make a shiver of old fears run up her spine, but friends had a remarkable calming affect. She tried to remain as upbeat as Tessa was, "G-g-g-good to obesrve you once more Tessa. T-thank you for help with table, heh. A-a-aand I've acquainted wid Sam at a previous encounter with another Sam...um...t-that is probably confusing. Um...salutations again Sam. T-the throwin' knife?" She sounded a little confused and finally slowed down the speech speed.

The raccoon tilted her head in thought, rubbing her chin. Where did she get that one? "Um...try recall garner at t-t-two places. Oh," she snapped her claws, nodding her head proudly: "Pawn shop. Heh, b-b-both sets find at pawn shops, heh. Probably mail order easy, knives not illegal. Oh-oh, if yoz want custom stuff though try Marcus. Heh, he's Summer's best smith-black--no, blacksmith yes."

ooc: Sorry for the delayed response. Also, Catherine asked me to add the details about her character's ten light scar lines upon the Fairest's back.

S
    Saeyer

Catherine's gaze made her slightly uncomfortable after a moment, but when the other woman extended a hand she shook it with a vague sense of relief. "Pleasure to meet you, Catherine. And yes, Morgan is a good friend." The politeness of the Fairest's language intriguing; she certainly wasn't the only person in the Freehold to favor such speech, but she was in the minority. Morgan's explanation of how they all knew each other made her smile, especially the bit about what Mal's title should include.

The conversation flowed on and Tessa joined them, so she figured she'd ask Morgan what her question was about later; a private conversation might be more appropriate anyway. "Hey Tessa, nice to see you!" She turned a curious eye to the goblin-man the Ferret introduced, and especially to the suit he wore. The Hedge wouldn't be kind to such a garment, though perhaps he intended to opt for Oneiromancy; in which case it would merely get wrinkled. "Samuel, I'm Ava. Welcome to the Freehold." Her broad, needly smile wasn't quite as thick with teeth as his, but just as sharp.

Figuring the conversation about knives had little to do with her, she looked back to Catherine. "So, a month? How are you settling in?"

G
    Greebs

Relieved to be relieved of her burden, Mal turned to Morgan, one of her oldest friends, and her habitual frown softened just a fraction. "I do not think 'Badass' really fits with 'Iron Adjutant'" she said, with an amused shake of the head. As if it weren't a big enough target on her back already...

"Congratulations on making good, yourself." She said a little awkwardly, thinking back to the big old blots they both carried on the older pages of their copy-books. Their shared experience of black-sheepery in the good-Old-Days was one of the few things the two Beasts had in common. "It has been a bumpy road, hasn't it..."

Mal's pride was ruffled rather by uncertainty as to which was the more impressive achievement. Her being hiked to the top of her Court, or Morgan earning a place at the bottom of Betony Rue Jason's...

E
    Eris

At Morgan’s bitter recollection Catherine turned back to the little Beast and the pair shared a short, sad smile, heavy with shared reminiscence . She swiftly wrapped her arms around the masked woman once again. Though it was over so quickly that it was more of a comforting squeeze than a hug, the way in which someone might compress another’s hand to show that you were there to listen if the need to speak gripped them. When Tessa mentioned Samuel Catherine's head whipped round, though fortunately, not before she had risen or poor Morgan might have been shunted back into the buffet by the dark waves of her hair.

Hmmmm if rough and tumble be in the offing then mayhap I should have placed it in a ponytail. Perchance one of the other ladies might spare me a scrunchie if I were to politely put forth the request.

As she crossed the intervening distance she noted that his nerves had improved; whilst he still appeared somewhat flighty, at least his hands no longer appeared to be labouring to bear him aloft and away from her company. He wasn’t as formally dressed as when last they’d spoken so perhaps he’d loosened up a little. Surprising herself she wrapped her arms around the hyperdontically-fanged figure.

“It’s been a while Samuel, I do hope that lady fate has cast her favour in your direction from time to time.”

As she drew herself back from her hold with the goblin she noted the succinctly spoken changeling favouring Morgan with felicitations. Overcome with good cheer with the amiable atmosphere and her present company she knelt and enfolded the terse brunette in an embrace of her own.

“Mal is it? A pleasure to make your acquaintance." And she meant it, she could appreciate the strong silent type; and whilst this woman’s canines certainly caught the eye, they didn’t have a patch on those of some of the other’s clustered around her. There was a warm glow beneath the woman’s skin which seemed to amplify as time went on. As she rose once more she got a good look at the courtier’s eyes which held a striking maize hue, and she paused for a moment quite captivated by their yellow gleam. Shaking herself free from her state of startled reflection, she turned to the ferrety figure who had complimented her confectionery. Sadly Tessa’s arms were now filled with cake which she was tucking into with the persistence of the profoundly pleased, a sight which bouyed Catherine's own spirits to no end. Finding herself unable to embrace or converse with the preoccupied Beast...

It wouldst seem a most common seeming would it not?

Catherine shared a more cheerful smile with her and offered her thanks for the compliment. Though the contents of the girls plate were being demolished with such haste she could scarcely determine whether she had partaken of the chocolate or the cheesecake. Either way she fervently hoped that Tessa was not so unfortunate as to suffer from a nut allergy. She felt that she should probably say something, and so did.

“Tessa, I do hope that you are not afflicted by an aversion to nuts.” She turned to those others assembled before the table’s bounty. “They’re present to some degree in both of the cakes I prepared; though should that prove problematic the three trays of pear gingerbread remain free from their influence."

She closed her eyes for a moment, committing the faces and names of the group’s constituents to the pages of her Library for later rumination. Blinking again into the pallid (as though she were one to talk!) face of Morgan’s apparently astute employer. She contemplated hugging the Lady Scrivener also; yet, like the ferret, the courtier’s arms were otherwise engaged.

“How am I settling in? Hmmmm... I’ve spent so much time working that I’ve scarcely had a chance to settle. Though so far Cosima has been more than gracious in putting up with my presence." Again pausing for a moment as she recalled the bag grasped between her fingers, she withdrew a large yet thin volume from it's depths, turning once more to Morgan. “Speaking of work I have have something to show you and Sam if you'd indulge me with an opinion.” Now that the time had come to reveal her artistry to it's subjects she felt a little apprehensive and fumbled with the pages as she flicked to the relevant place. Turning the booklet so that it could be appreciated as intended, she handed the volume to Morgan. Before the little ling, her own eyes stared back from it's laminated surface.

Origins Morgan will see an A4 size version of the image of herself described in the glimpse The Devil, the Racoon and the Artist

Clarifying as I didn't explain to Origins very well: When I said light I meant colouration not depth XD
    If Catherine's back is to you then some of the 10 roughly-vertical scars which run from her shoulders on down will be visible where her hair and clothing permit. Whilst a little narrower than a pinkie and as snow white as the rest of her skin they do appear fairly distinctive, the scar tissue being both embossed and somewhat shinier under the light of say... a bonfire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread