THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Konrad sits slumped in the passenger seat of his Ghoul's 2009 Toyota Prius as they drive just under the speed limit through the neighborhoods of Sacramento.

Cody seems tired. It's no wonder, since Konrad had been keeping the man in his early twenties up to ungodly hours. His pleasant features were slack and his blonde hair unkempt as if he had been woken up unexpectantly for a late night car ride.

The Ghoul yawns loudly, his eyes squinting reactively before refocusing on the road. "Konrad... why are we doing this again? I'm not going to be able to stay awake much longer." Though he was imbued with the Curse of Konrad's Vitae, it did not make the mortal any more immune to the need for rest.

Konrad stayed silent, his dark blue eyes glued to the window and the sights that lay beyond the smooth glass. Rivers, woods, and the strangling Kine civilization nesting between them. It wasn't Vegas, or Reno, or L.A. but it had a life all its own. A life he would slowly drain at the artery to survive.

"Konrad..." began Cody again, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"I want to see the city with my own eyes," replies Konrad in a throaty murmer. "It would take too long on foot and I don't want to run into...trouble." Konrad had looked over maps, both paper and digital, observing images so that he would know the lay of the land before him and Cody even got there. But that sort of thing didn't sink in too well in his mind. For him it was better to experience it firsthand.

Cody's brows furrows in worry. "Do you think there'll be...erm, trouble?" he asks hesitantly.

Konrad doesn't answer. He doesn't think he needs to. Who could say for sure? Konrad did what he had done for decades, play the odds and try to push them in his favor. Allowing Cody to accept the job in Sacramento and following him to a new city was a big risk. But things in Los Angelus were getting too crowded, too violent. The River City seemed like a step back from the urban side of things.

Cody kept talking. Mostly to keep himself awake, "Do you think there are more of...them here? Like you?"

Stupid question, thought Konrad. Cody wasn't the brightest of Ghouls, though Konrad wasn't the brightest of Kindred either. The Kindred were everywhere. Everywhere there were necks to feed on. There was never enough blood to go around.

"Maybe," Konrad answered non-committingly. "My sources says as much."

The thought sank deeper into Cody's mind, though whether it inspired awe or terror, Konrad wasn't sure. Probably both. "Stop here," the Gangrel said as they reached a deserted intersection, closing in on the downtown area.

Cody did as Konrad ordered, glancing around curiously, wondering why they had stopped.

Konrad opens the passenger door and steps out onto the curb, the car interior lights causing Cody's eyes to wince in pain. "Wait, where are you going?" asked Cody with concern in his voice.

"I'll find my way back to the apartment. Still not getting a feel for this place when it's zooming past. Go get rest."

"But what about...you know, the trouble?" called Cody, leaning over the console to keep his eyes on the Kindred.

Konrad shut the door and pressed his pointed finger in the direction they had come. He stood there, expectantly until the driver reluctantly obeyed, turning around and heading back down the road.

There wasn't any point worrying his Ghoul. Either Konrad came back or he didn't. They had discussed as much in the past, though Cody kept on like a nagging housewife more than a supernaturally imbued servant.

But Konrad had to make his presence known to the occupants of Sacramento, and if things went sour he didn't want the dutiful mortal paying the price for tresspassing. Not that he cared of course... Just, there was no sense showing his whole hand to perfect strangers.

The brown-haired Kindred flushed pink with the Blush of Life, feeling the warmth pulse through his extremities. The Sacramento summer kept the nights fairly hot. He hated to think how the days were. Konrad turned and headed towards the Sacramento downtown. At least the Savage had a route home in his head if things didn't work out the way he planned. Better to play by the rules for now...

2. Likes Whisper liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

When the Blood calls, a Kindred cannot help but answer. The call is ringing loudly in his ears, causing all sorts of discomfort to run through his deprived body. He feels the pulse of the city beating like a drum in his head.

Since getting permission to feed in the Communal Hunting Zone of Sacramento, Konrad had done what he had to to sustain himself. The grounds took up a huge portion of the city, having to provide for the majority of Kindred that fed upon the populous. The Savage still hadn't met many of the Kindred residents so he avoided the most crowded places, not wanting to be interrupted by the frenzy of his Beast.

He hunts by stalking prey. He isn't much of a fighter, a fact Konrad had shared with the Seneschal upon meeting her. He isn't much of a smooth talker either to talk a Kine into following to some dark alley, which left only the element of surprise. He caught his dinner off guard and unsuspecting.

Tonight he sits in Natomas Oaks Park, waiting and watching from behind an empty pavilion. There is more space and less Kine to worry about here, bordering the large woodlands of the American River Parkway. He needs to catch one alone, though they rarely travel that way at night. Those dedicated to physical fitness jog these paths. He is sure he can catch up with one on foot, but it requires good timing and a set of headphones to mask his approach.

There is also the Riverbank Marina within view along the neighboring river. Many Kine love to boat up and down these waterways. Konrad had his Ghoul, Cody, check out the place during the daytime revealing they had 24-hour survaillance in place. He wouldn't be able to catch someone while they were tying up their boat, unfortunately.

But there are other places, boats anchored off-shore. Depending on the current he could slip through the water and have a private meal on the water. But that would take a lot of effort and too much could go wrong.

His Beast stirs as the footfalls of a jogger approach. Just one this time. Konrad was too hungry to pass up the chance. The Savage sticks to the shadows, moving quickly but cautiously through the grass. He gets into position behind the trunk of a thick tree. Sure enough a young jogger in reflective gear and a handheld flashlight rounds the corner, panting heavily. No headphones, but that was alright, Konrad figures.

He waited only a moment longer so as not to catch the Kine's peripheries. Then he bolts, sneakers thumping lightly on the grass pushing off towards his prey. He does not need to breath and his arms hold the flaps of his overcoat to silence them in the rush of air.

The jogger does not hear him, or if they did it was only after he reached the path. By now it is too late. Konrad leaps on their back, knocking them to the ground while gripping tightly. In a second he sinks his fangs into their neck, the Kine still panting wildly against the weight of his body.

With the Kiss in effect the Kine grows limp and the taste of the Blood fills Konrad's world. He drank it from the swift-flowing veins of a rapidly beating heart.

4. Likes Chrisie liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Konrad's Haven is a back room in his Ghoul's apartment. It is temporary since they have only recently arrived to Sacramento. Cody just returned moments ago from his new job as a photojournalist at the Sacramento Bee. It is entry level, but Cody is enthusiastic like a child given a new toy to play with.

Konrad awakes to Cody's smiling face, waving as he passes by Konrad leaving his room. "Hey there, Konrad. Sleep alright?"

"It's not really sleep," corrects Konrad in a low voice, having done so dozens of times already even knowing that Cody only meant it as a pleasantry.

Cody turns around at the edge of the kitchen. "Sleep, rest, rejuvination? Same thing. You always look refreshed afterwards so I figure it's the same." The Ghoul seemed unusually chipper, again that familiarity that entitled him to speak openly and plainly to his master.

Konrad growls softly, though there's no anger in it. "What it makes me is hungry," he says and meanders past Cody into the kitchen. The sky outside the window is black, a new moon that creats a thick darkness with a gentle haze of city lights over the horizon.

Cody doesn't seem bothered by the thought of Konrad feeding and follows behind, sitting down at the kitchen table. He pulls off his tie and unbuttons the top of his shirt to get comfortable. "We were out at Folsom today. Beautiful lake. There's this drought going on and we're covering the air pollution that the Dam project is kicking up. They're expecting a lot of cases of breathing problems I think. Guess that doesn't affect you much though."

Konrad continues to stare out the window, remaining unresponsive to conversation. The movement of Kine has different meaning to Konrad since his Embrace all those years ago. Though they had been together for a handful of years, Konrad still does not understand how to cope with a mortal who has peered beyond the Masquerade.

"I guess it's affecting the bee population too," adds Cody, noticing Konrad's lack of participation but hoping to bait him again.

Another moment passes and Cody sighs, reaching for a remote on the table and turning on a small tv perched on the counter.

"The court case regarding the shooting on the light rail train continues today as investigators release new evidence..." The news is on, detailing the undercurrent of violence in the city.

Konrad turns his head to the television, as if momentarily interested before returning it to the window. "So it looks like we're going to be sticking around here for awhile," says Konrad casually.

Cody perks up, muting the tv and smiling at Konrad. "Yeah? I mean, really? That's great! I take it things are going well with, umm, your new friends?"

"Yeah," answers Konrad. "So far." Konrad had been keeping Cody in the dark about his association with the other Kindred. It is something that Cody knows not to dig too deep into. He purposefully distances himself from the Ghoul believing that the Kine might desire the Dark Gift all the more. That and he could sense Cody's affectionate nature may grow complicated. Konrad is not good at disciplining the Ghoul, but he knows it would be risky to let Cody get too involved. So best to keep him in the dark, so he thinks.

"I think I'll head out for a bite," says Konrad, heading to the side closet for his overcoat and sneakers.

"Oh? Right, right. Umm, I could..."

Konrad knows what Cody is going to say, "I'd rather you didn't," he says quickly, cutting Cody off.

"Com'on, Konrad. I could keep a lookout, I wouldn't get in the way, and I could help move the body when you're done."

Konrad grips the closet doorknob tightly. These are good points, but not the reasons that Cody wants to take part in this. The Savage walks back to the table, putting his hands flat on the tabletop and stares intently down at Cody who shrinks away into the chair.

"I, umm..." he stammers, uncomfortable by the close proximity of the ashen predator. "Sorry, I just...want to help..."

"Liar," whispers Konrad with no particular inflection. "If I need your help I'll ask for it. Or don't you want your take? Don't you want the taste of it?"

Cody goes rigid, his shoulders shuddering suddenly as the memory of the Vitae calls forth. His eyes become almost dreamy as his eyelids droop and their focus glazes over. "No, I...really want to help you..." Cody is transparent, but there is more than a simple connection to the Blood that Konrad reads in him. He is being too stubborn for some reason.

Konrad straightens up again, reaching a hand to the back of his head and scratching it habitually in thought. "Rrrrrm. I guess it'd be okay then. But you don't get close to me unless I call you over. I don't want you getting in the way. And leave that damn camera this time or I'll smash it to bits."

Delight spreads over Cody's expression until the mention of the camera and he seems suddenly crestfallen. So that was it. Cody is hoping to get photos.

Konrad grabs at the collar of Cody's shirt tightly and pulls him close. "You damn slug. You want to take pictures, don't you?!" growls Konrad in sudden fierceness than he has been yet to exhibit. "You know that is forbidden!"

"I..I.." Cody stammers. "I would never show it to anyone, I swear!" cries the man fearfully. "It's so beautiful, I just can't forget what it looked like..." he gulps, the tightness from Konrad's grip making it difficult for Cody to speak clearly. "It's art...I just want it for me... Please, this hurts!"

Konrad believes his Ghoul, but that doesn't make it okay. "I aught to drink you down to the last drop for even thinking it," he threatens.

"If it'll make you feel better, I'm yours to do with as you please," says Cody submissively.

Finally, some damn respect. But it doesn't satisfy Konrad. It's not what he's after. If a photo like that were ever discovered, Konrad would be ashed for it. It was how he had met Cody after all. The damn fool had been snapping pictures of him at night and discovered the curse through the distortions. Instead of explaining away the effect, Cody pursued Konrad with an obsessive interest until he had screwed up. Konrad found the photographer and the pictures and had destroyed them. But Cody offered himself to the Vampire, attracted to the mystery and macabre nature. Konrad had found other pictures just as haunting. There was a dark streak to this Kine and the Gift was only icing on the cake. So he spared the fool and took him as his servant to the Blood.

But that didn't wash away Cody's passions, it only enhanced them.

"You keep that love for art under control, you got it?" demands the Kindred flatly, the fierceness gone.

"Yes, Konrad," he says obediently. "I..I will, I promise."

Konrad lets go off Cody's collar, his shoulders sagging and head drooping like a kicked dog. "And stop calling me Konrad," he adds, though more as an afterthought than an order.

"What am I supposed to call you? Master?" Cody asks, rubbing away the soreness on his neck.

"No, that sounds...weird." Konrad heads back to grab his overcoat from the closet, throwing it on. "Just...I don't know, maybe Mr. Roth or something."

Despite the fear, Cody recovers quickly and his brows curl dubiously. "Mr. Roth? Are you serious? We've known each other for years."

"I don't know then. Whatever. Konrad's fine. Just remember, you're mine to do with as I please."

Sneakers on, Konrad stands at the door, stopping and looking expectantly at Cody who stares back with some confusion. "Well, are you coming or not?"

"Oh, right," Cody turns off the tv and gets up from the chair, trying to get his bearings. "I mean, I won't forget, I won't get in the way." The Ghoul grabs the apartment keys and heads after Konrad as he opens the door to the outer hallway.

"Hey, maybe I should call you, 'boss'. How about it, Boss Konrad? That might work. You told me you used to be in the mafia, right?" Cody jokes playfully as their voices trail off into the night.

"Jeez louise," mutters Konrad.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Steelhead Creek cuts through the residential communities of northern Sacramento. It's fed by Dry Creek from a small delta and then flows south like a winding serpent until it feeds into the Sacramento River. Konrad walks on the edge of its eastern side, enjoying the night air and sound of gently flowing water. He has a particular purpose in mind, the intent to feed.

Konrad knows he would be considered a criminal by Kine standards, were he still mortal. Feedings aside, he has stolen or been a party to thievery. It is not something he is proud of, it's just something he is good at, lessons taught from his time with the mob. He avoids violence when he can and rarely takes more than he needs. Tonight he needs the Blood.

The moon is half full tonight. It warms his unliving skin, his corpse of a body given unnatural animation. Hunger drives him to rise each night while his recollection of his mortal past causes him to question his existence. He could remember what the trees and grass looked like in the daylight hours. He could imagine it now as he approached the one-story house on the neighborhood's peripheries.

A security sticker peels from age on the corner of the window. A fake most likely. These homes were not the finest Sacramento had to offer. Little more than slums that breed the criminal element at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder. Konrad's Ghoul, Cody, tells him nightly of the reports of burglary and shootings that occur in the city limits. As an added favor, the Ghoul stakes out a mark for his Master.

But Konrad is not a reckless Savage. He takes his time. He walks softly in his sneakers, staying on one side of the house in the moon's shadow. A single car sits in the gravel that counts for a driveway, a two seater junkheap, not something to drag kids around in. Konrad is no burglar, so he counts on the occupant to be home. The windows are dark, curtains drawn.

First he tests the door after cracking open the outer screen. Locked of course. This wasn't that kind of neighborhood. He lurks outside the windows around the entryway, peering inside for signs of wiring. They are locked as well. Good for them. But Konrad is still hungry. He risks venturing around the side of the house and finds a sliding glass door. It would be easy to shatter the glass, but that makes a lot of noise and Konrad doesn't want a fight from his prey.

Drawing a prybar from his coat, Konrad gets to work setting the flattened point against the edge of the frame. He carefully forces it into the flush surface and gives it a practiced thrust and sudden pop as the latch is wedged apart. Konrad is still, listening for any signs of stirring from inside. A minute goes by without change and Konrad slides the door open slowly, entering the house.

Cody had said no dog, but a parakeet flutters about in its cage at the edge of what appears to be a living room. The place certainly lacks a woman's touch with dishes and rubbage set idly about the couch and coffee table. A single occupant, adult male. Treading carefully towards what Konrad assumes to be a bedroom, he can hear the not so subtle sound of snoring at the end of a short hall.

Only a brief glance about the darkened room is needed before Konrad spies the single figure on the bed. The sound gives him an easy guess at the placement of the head. As Konrad's fangs pierce their skin, their eyes flicker open only briefly before falling back into deep reverie. They would not remember the source of their troubling nightmare, the strange fatigue in the morning, nor the missing cash from their wallet on the nightstand. Only a broken latch on their sliding door and the thought of placing a dowel along the track perhaps.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

The cellphone emits a series of electric tones as he punches in the number. He puts the device against his ear and listens to the droning sound as he awaits the call to go through.

A man in a gruff voice answers. "Yeah?" The voice is blunt and unfriendly.

"Jake Mooney?" Konrad asks without hesitation.

"Who's asking?"

"This is Konrad Roth. Or Roth Junior if you prefer."

"Oh hey! No kidding?" Jake's voice brightens up considerably as its owner puts a face to the name. "I heard you were doing time or something?"

"I'm afraid your source doesn't know what they're talking about, Mooney. I've never committed a crime in my life," he replies in a playful tone.

A jovial laughter is heard over the line before the voice returns. "Yeah, you and me both," Jake suggests in a playful derision. "So, err, what do I owe the pleasure?"

"For starters I'm looking to set up shop in the river city. I hope you could connect me with a guy locally to start doing business?"

A thoughtful pause is heard from the other end before a reply is returned. "Eeh, we talking Sactown here? I thought you were working out of L.A. Why the change in scenery?"

It is Konrad's turn to pause now and he carefully weighs his response. "A few reasons. Trying to make new friends you could say."

"Oh yeah? Well don't forget, 'A man of too many friends comes to ruin'. Just don't forget the ones you've got, ya know?"

"I got ya. How about I pay it forward to this guy you're going to tell me about?"

They both chuckle knowingly over the line for a moment before Jake says, "I know you're good for it, Junior. I've got just the one in mind. You got a pen and paper ready? I'm going to give you an address. You head there at midnight and see if they're interested in what you've got."

"Not goint to give me a name?" Konrad asks quizzically.

"Nah nah, no more questions. You just get there and let me worry about the rest."

"Yeah, alright. Thanks again, Mooney."

"Forgettaboutit."

After receiving the address from his old contact, Konrad bugs his Ghoul, Cody, for his laptop to Google Map the location. It's a warehouse district just north of Eisenhower Highway. Konrad has passed by it before in his night walks but hasn't really scoped it out further than that.

On top of that he doesn't know the Kine fence by name, or even what they look like. It isn't that strange to Konrad that Mooney wasn't willing to say it over the phone. The location was probably just a meet-up, rather than a stationary business front.

Konrad tells Cody to drop him off in the general location.

-1 Vitae for Blush of Life

There is only a sliver of moon tonight. The pitch of night is dotted with starlight and the orange hue of exterior lighting surrounding the warehouse parking lots. Konrad sticks to the shadows of the buildings as he nears his destination. He keeps an eye out for exterior CCTV cameras to avoid as an additional precaution. Not only because of the nature of his devious business but because of his supernatural curse that makes him appear as a distortion on film.

There is a lone vehicle parked in the lot that Konrad believes to be the spot for the meet-up. He can see exhaust drifting out the back, letting him know the vehicle was running idly. He has no reason to suspect Mooney would double-cross him, but Konrad remains suspicious and approaches from the driver's side of the vehicle.

The driver's door opens and a figure gets out. A young Caucasian woman in a burgundy jacket and thin-framed glasses with a cigarette on her lips that she drops and grinds into the blacktop. "Alright, dude. Just stay right there for a second. Unless your name is Konrad I suggest you find somewhere else to piss off." She keeps a hand behind her back, making Konrad wonder if she is armed.

"Relax, that's me, Konrad Roth," he says, raising his hands from his pockets carefully. "I talked with Jake Mooney earlier, said to meet up with someone here tonight. That you?"

The woman relaxes a little, stuffing whatever she had been carrying into her jacket pocket. "Yeah. I'm Rachael. Jake says your dad was some big-shot some years back and that you're working as some bagman slash burglar?"

"That's why they call me Junior," answers Konrad with a shrug. Really, though, Konrad had only manufactured the identity as his own son to explain away the lack of aging as a Kindred. But at least he got to keep his name and a shred of his reputation he had worked hard to create. "So you're the fence?"

"Pawnbroker," corrects Rachael smartly. "Let's just keep it at that. Mooney says you've got some goods to trade. The kind that warrents a back-alley deal like this. So, what're you selling?"

"Well mostly I just wanted to see what's hot in the market, see what you're even willing to buy."

The woman gives a grievous glare at the Kindred for a moment. "Don't tell me you dragged me out in the middle of the night to discuss figures? I'm a pawnbroker, not a stockbroker. You make an offer and I tell you if its worth my time. Kapish? No offer, no business."

"Hey, look. I'm guessing we're both here to make some money. I get my hands dirty so you don't have to. The least you can do is humor me here. Just tell me what you traffic in and I'll get it for you. That simple."

The woman considers this as she fiddles with the long brown braid of hair she has dangling around her neck. "Open up your jacket," she says to him. Konrad does so, knowing she wants to know if he's carrying anything dangerous without getting close to him. The prybar goes unnoticed, obscured with the power of the Blood.

Seemingly satisfied the woman waves him over. "Yeah, alright, whatever. I just don't to be jerked around by some guy in the middle of the night. Since Jake says you're good for it I guess we can talk business. Get in the car." Rachael promptly reseats herself in the driver's seat and shuts the door behind her.

Given no other option, Konrad walks around to the opposite side and opens the passenger door, carefully climbing into the vehicle. The seats are cheap cloth and there's an unidentifiable smell that suggests the car has seen better days.

"Okay. I'll give you the rundown. Car parts. You know, radios, GPS, converters, batteries, even fuel. Jewelry. Gems, gold, silver, whatever you think might be worth a few bucks. Obviously Drugs, but don't go pissing on the gangs in this city. There's a lot of money in it but I don't want to make enemies if you end up stealing from them. Same thing with weapons. I'm not going to ask questions about them but I want to know if I'm handling something hot. So do me a favor and be straight with me and we'll get along fine. Other than that, use your imagination." She speaks quickly and professionally, detailing basic merchandise.

Konrad listens carefully, nodding his understanding. It was all tried and true ways of living off society. What you can't salvage, you take. "You said car parts. What about whole cars? Do you know a chop shop dealer?"

"Maybe I do, but lets just see how you do with the small stuff first before jumping straight to grand theft auto."

"Okay then."

"Here's my number. You ever find something worth my time and I'll show up for appraisal. You get me something good I'll even let you visit the shop sometime." Rachael hands Konrad a card with a printed number on them. Konrad takes it.

"Alright, meeting adjourned. Glad you could make it, goodnight, bye bye now."

Rachael shooes Konrad out of the car and then pulls away abruptly. The Savage wasn't really sure what he had been expecting, but for now they had a general business arrangement. Now it was just up to Konrad to make it worth her while and he could connect with the bigger players in town. It was all about who you knew no matter where you spent your Requiem.

His business complete, Konrad sets back out into the darkened pathways of the city.

8. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Hey, you fucker, you stole my wallet!" yells a street punk as he points his finger accusingly at Konrad. Konrad had conveniently ran his shoulder into the man for a chance to check his pocket, grabbing the wallet instinctively in their passing. Unfortunately he has only gotten some fifteen feet away before the thug realized he'd been robbed. Even worse, the guy had a couple of mean-looking friends in tow with him.

Hey, I'm the victim here, he nearly flattened me against the wall running into that meathead.

Though Konrad can claim his Clan as Gangrel, the Savage is no fighter and makes a mad dash for the alley. The thunderous sound of footfalls behind him gives an indication of the Kines' pursuit. They don't seem as the most savory of characters, so he figures he's in for a beating. Better than if they had called the police, he supposes.

Quick on his feet, Konrad dashes around the corner and into a darkened doorway inset into the brick walls of the surrounding buildings. He has enough of a lead to spy a discarded bottle that he tosses far down the length of the alley to the adjoining street which shatters noisily. A few seconds later the men come barreling around the corner.

"He went down this way!" says the mark reacting to the noise of the glass. The others continue to keep up after, though one seems to lag behind, panting.

"H..hold up," he says between breaths. "Damn..." He stands at the edge of the alley, watching after the other two who were looking up and down the street.

While they scan the streetside, Konrad creeps up stealthily behind the one who has lagged behind. He covers the man's mouth from behind and yanks him back into the shadows, sinking his teeth in quickly. He only has a moment to draw from the cholesterol-laden veins before he hears the voices of the his companions drawing near. Licking the wound clean, Konrad lets his body slump to the ground and runs back the way he had come.

I'm pushing my luck with this small time business, reflects Konrad as he crosses over to the next block. He pulls out the wallet and opens it to observe his spoils only to find a folded twenty and a few ones, no credit card. "Fuck," he mumbles, pocketing the cash and the ID before tossing the empty wallet into a waste bin. "Not even worth it."

Despite the risk, he manages to snag a few drops of Vitae. But his hunger is never sated, there just isn't enough.

10. Likes Chrisie liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Konrad likes to think of himself as a decent guy, despite being a monster that stalks in the shadows. His sire told him never to dwell on the details of what they were or even why they were.

'You work with what you've got in hand. Squeeze hard enough and all the answers will come to you.'

The memory echoes distantly in his mind of a laid back yet confident mobster. He doesn't know what Bruno "The Stain" Lupo meant by that. Every time he feeds, Konrad feels like he's stealing something important from somebody else. He feels the Beast and the Blood within and he's wondering if really he's the one who's being robbed.

'Ain't no different from skimming. We just take our cut and the Kine go on their way. But if it's between you and them then you gotta make sure it's you.'

Konrad only takes enough to get by, to keep the Beast at bay. But even that takes a great deal of effort. It's so much easier to just give in, to let the monster out and let go of the leash. That's what we are, aren't we? Why hide it? Why fight it?

Konrad can't tell which voice is his own anymore. The heat is alive in him, coaring through his body like serpents coiling around his core. They called his sire 'The Stain' because that's what he left behind. An enforcer for the mob, something they never talked about because saying to might make him real.

'Konrad, ma'boy, you're a survivalist. You're smart enough to avoid the fight. But sooner or later the fight finds you. Time comes when there's no where to run 'cept through the belly of the Beast.'

Konrad clutches at his chest as he arcs back, staring wildly into the night sky above. He feels the Beast surge forth, hungry and untamed, threatening to take over as if it could rip right through his skin. Blood tints his vision for a moment like a climax, a brief moment of calm and clarity and satisfaction right before the wave crashes back down.

And he's back, standing over the body of another victim in the darkened alleyway, two trails of blood leaking from wounds in her neck. He bends down, lapping at the last taste of ecstasy and then watching as they begin to close.

He is changing. Slowly but surely he feels the weight of the Beast pressing down on him. It's getting heavier since that night he was Embraced. Is he losing himself to this? Or was he lost a long time ago and he's only just begun to realize it?

'You think this is bad? Stick around a while and I'll show you what real monsters are like.'

12. Likes Yumyumcrow, Brownlee liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Despite the rich culture of a sprawling urban landscape, Sacramento has a vast wilderness surrounding it. The extent of the Sacramento Valley is flat grasslands with denser treeline in and around the river city. Tributaries and waterways carve the immediate area around the Sacramento River into a more interesting terrain with exposed sediment bordering multitude of streams, still swollen from the flash flooding the city had gotten only two weeks ago.

It's rare for Kornad to see an overcast sky above the city, even more rare to feel rain on his skin. That is California for you. Christmas brought with it the rainy season. A thick fog had even sprouted up above the ground, the air saturated with vapor.

It's dark, and wet, and foggy tonight, when visibility is at its all-time poorest, unless of course you have the Heightened Senses of a Vampire. Clad in a poncho and his camouflage, Konrad stalks the treeline for animal prey. Out here on the west side of the Barrens he doesn't have to worry about cameras, witnesses, or rival Kindred. Out here his Beast could let loose and seek out Blood at will.

He knew that there might again come a time when he would have to rely on his survival skills, as he considers the hunt his Clan has planned. With the holiday season there are less people on the street, less necks to draw upon. At least there is plenty of game on the edges of the city and limited cover for concealment. There would be no hunters or rangers out in this weather, or so he hopes.

He comes across a flock of wild turkeys, an easy catch once he's crept silently within the brush. In a sprint he grabs and drains an adult bird, only managing to subdue another before the rest scatter from his reach. But other game is more agile. He knows better than to chase down the jackrabbits and squirrels he comes across, instead leaving snares he's fashioned from twine and bent branches and stakes he carved with his bowie knife.

He backtracks along the deer trails, checking each trap in turn. One is empty, one is sprung without sign of prey, though the third holds a squirrel about ready to chew through its leg. Konrad ends its struggle in a hard grip and brief Kiss. The Blood of animals bring with it a swell of peace, the fast-pumping hearts of the insignificant, bringing with it the sensation of mastery over the weak. But the sensation trickles away like so few drops of blood. It's hardly a meal even after he's chewed and squeezed at the empty carcass. He wipes away the blood on his cheeks with a wash of rainwater.

After several hours, Konrad is forced to head back towards the lights of the city with only a meager result for his efforts. But that is simply all he can expect with the tools and experience he possesses. It's easy to figure out that the Barrens are no picnic. He'd pick a Kine victim in the city any night over this. A lesson learned. He could always snack on his Ghoul later to make up for it at the very least. Perhaps it would bring him more motivation to avail himself to the Regents.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Returning to his Haven, Konrad notices the door to be slightly ajar. Great, this is all I need, thinks the Gangrel as he pulls out a prybar tucked into a custom inside pocket. Slowly he pushes open the door which creaks slightly. Konrad sniffs the air, unsure of what to expect.

It smells like booze.

Still wary, Konrad keeps his prybar raised at the ready as he glances around the apartment foyer that leads into the kitchen. As far as he is aware, his Ghoul, Cody, isn't a big drinker. An empty bottle sitting on the counter shows Konrad the source of the heavy ethanol scent.

Must've been a bad day at the office, he thinks before noticing the couple of glasses sitting next to the bottle. One is coated with a distinct impression of red waxy lips.

The fuck? Now he's even more confused. Cody had always identified himself as playing for the other team. Unless he brought home a dragqueen, something is distinctly wrong. Hell, even if it is a dragqueen, he's got some nerve not giving Konrad the heads up about it.

Creeping through the kitchen into the main hallway, Konrad sees a light pouring from Cody's room along with a heavy breathing and a soft clicking sound. Konrad edges himself against the wall and peeks around the frame.

He sees Cody's back, bent over the body of a woman. Her chest rises and falls and her eyes are parted slightly though glazed over, unresponsive. There doesn't appear to be anyone else in the room.

Konrad moves the remaining distance to Cody and grabs him from behind, cupping his hand over his Ghoul's mouth. Cody goes tense and drops something he had been holding, a high end camera that bounces off the hardwood floor. So that had been the source of the clicking.

"What the hell is this?" growls Konrad fiercely into Cody's ear as the man begins to snap out of his confused panic.

"Mmmph mph!" replies Cody, muffled through Konrad's hand before ceasing his struggle, realizing his master has returned.

Konrad removes his hand slowly, positioning it instead on Cody's throat.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he says rapidly, fear and shame rising up. Konrad realizes the man is crying.

Konrad shakes Cody slightly to stop his stammering. "Answer!" he demands.

"Just...just a present...for you, master," he lies poorly, desperately. The pulse that Konrad feels under his touch is booming.

Konrad forces the man to bend his head down to look at the camera on the floor. "You said you would stop these games of yours. You know what kind of risk you're making for me."

Cody only whimpers in Konrad's grasp, knowing there's no way to cover for himself.

"I..promise, I wasn't...going to..hrk," Cody's voice tightens as Konrad squeezes. Cody actually makes an attempt to struggle against Konrad's grip now, freeing himself and stumbling away into his bedframe. He sinks down to his knees beside the mattress, cowering.

"I wasn't going to kill her, I promise!" he wails, begging.

Konrad regards him indignantly, not believing a word of it. He points at the unconscious woman. "She knows where we live. She knows who you are! There's nothing else to be done with her now," he says accusingly.

"No! No..she doesn't. I swear. I picked her up at a bar. She was already drunk and I gave her a false name," he speaks frantically. "I slipped her a drug after I brought her here. No one saw us. She could barely walk..."

Konrad lifts his head, placing a hand over his face. After a few seconds he groans. Then, sighing, he lets his arms lower as he bends to pick up the discarded camera. He checks to see that it's on and pages through the digital images to ensure that there's nothing else that Cody isn't telling him.

Cody raises a protesting hand nervously and Konrad's gaze slides over to him. "Either the pictures go or the camera does," he says, a final edge to his tone.

Cody whimpers again, hanging his head in defeat.

"I'm beginning to think I'm wasting your talents, Cody," says Konrad darkly. "Maybe I aught to stop trying to keep you out of the underworld."

Cody looks up in sudden surprise, a glimmer of hope deep in his eyes.

"Maybe once I move out into my own space you can start investigating certain people for me. Maybe work to get a little blackmail when I need leverage on somebody."

Cody cringes. "Oh please, don't leave. I've always wanted to stay close to you," Cody begs.

Konrad finishes deleting the images of the woman and tosses the camera onto the bed. He walks over to the woman. "Help me carry her. We have to hurry before she wakes up."

• • •

A park bench seems a cruel place to leave the woman, but it's only a short walk from the hospital. Looking around to make sure there are no witnesses, Konrad sinks his teeth into the woman's neck, drawing out the seductive taste of the Blood laden with liquor and something else that made him begin to feel drowsy. He uses a portion of the new Vitae to combat the debilitating effects for the moment.

Releasing her he licks the puncture wound and wobbles over to Cody. "Take me back. You may have saved me the trouble of hunting tonight but I'm not going to be able to do much else with this drug in me. And don't think I'm not going to top myself off on you once we get back."

Piling into Cody's car, Konrad again weighs the pros and cons of maintaining a Ghoul. Cody's sick fetish endangered them both. It wouldn't be long before Cody made a mistake. Konrad will just have to give his Ghoul an outlet for the moment.

15. Likes Brownlee liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Nothing says Valentine's Gift like something that'll prevent blood cells from clotting in your arteries.

Okay, so maybe not. But as long as it has something to do with the Blood that's good enough. And Konrad's heart is in the right place at least, beneath the ribs and a little to the left. After receiving the check from Rina's drop off location, Konrad takes to the streets, asking around known underground hangouts to gather a little information on a seller that has what he needs. The thing about looking for illegal drugs is that it's not too difficult, at least if you're looking to score some weed or crack. In most cases your average Joe wouldn't be able to wrangle much information out of anyone for fear of narcs. But Konrad knows enough about the business to speak the lingo, and he doesn't come across as a cop.

He gets word about a doctor at Sutter's General who supplies a lot of the drugs circulating around town. It gives him a name to start with.

He dials the number for one of his colleagues that shares in his unorthodox profession.

"Rayner, hey, it's Konrad. I'm working on getting another item this month for purchase. Nothing flashy, more along the lines of medicinal. No, not that either. Anyways, let's meet up tonight to go over details, usual spot. Alright. Peace."

An hour or so later, Rayner shows up at their usual meeting place, a pawn shop named The Pawn Barn. Not exactly creative, but then it was only a front. Konrad knew the owner, a Kine woman, Rachael. Most of his business went through there so he knew he could trust her to be discrete.

"Hey, so what's the subject of tonight's agenda?" asks the slender awkward middle-aged weasel of a man that walks in.

"Drugs," answers Konrad easily. "The kind that prevent blood from clotting, you know, anti-coagulants. I need to place an order for a shipment, but I don't have a prescription. I figure you might be able to help me arrange something with this doctor I've been hearing about on the streets?"

"Antico...what? What do you need those for?" he asks, seemingly confused, not because Konrad asks for drugs, but for something that usually isn't high in demand. "You sick or something? You know they've got these affordable health care policies now..."

Konard laughs, taking the comment for a joke. "I'd rather not discuss the details if it's alright with you. It's complicated, nothing you need to know about."

Rayner thinks for a while before answering, drumming his fingers against the counter. "I dunno, man. This doesn't sound like something I can do. I mean, with run-of-the-mill drugs at least you don't have to ask what they're going to be used for. Plus, I don't think I've heard of this guy. It's a lot of what-ifs to deal with."

Konrad sighs and sidles closer to Rayner. "Com'on, man, you know I'm good for it. Just do what you always do, make a few calls and set up a deal."

He can tell Rayner's on the fence about the deal. Konrad urges him how it'd really mean a lot to him, but in the end Rayner chickens out. The Kine says his apologies and heads back out into the night.

"Jeez, wouldn't have batted an eye if I'd ask for a gun," grumbles Konrad to Rachel who shrugs wordlessly from behind the counter. "What, I gotta get the guy's birth certificate and credit card information before he's willing to do business with the guy. Ah well, guess I'll have to try someone else."

A few calls later, Kornad gets option number two on the phone, Dallas. Dallas is a tall thick guy with a handlebar mustache and wears a cowboy hat often enough. Konrad isn't sure if that's his real name or an alias. They meet up at the same location to discuss the deal.

"Yeah, Rayner wasn't up for it. Figured I'd have to call you to make any real headway."

"Shoot, that assclown's all hat, no cattle. Now, what makes you think this here doctor is open for business, Konny-boy? Just cause he's got street-cred don't mean he's worth a red cent. We all gotta root hog, ya know."

"Alright, well, who would you suggest, Dallas? Anyone you know worth a red cent who can get me what I'm looking for?"

"Of course. Wouldn't be much of a go-to man if I didn't. Long as you have the money, I'll get you the goods. Everybody gets what they want. Of course it'll take a bit of time. Three weeks I imagine. Gotta grease the wheels and polish some apples, you know the score. We meet up back here then and make the trade."

Following Dallas's custom, they shake on it.

The criminal world caters to all types of personalities, but they call share the same disregard for the order and authority that governs them. Rules can be bent, broken, and disregarded completely. Some did it for money, others did it for excitement, and some did it out of desperation. In this case, Konrad is doing it for a tiny Asian Vampire in order to fix the odds in a fight. She'd be indebted to him if she lives. But just getting the goods is only part one of the plan. There is still much to do before this gamble can play out.

17. Likes Jaqen, Cabochard, West liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread