Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Outfitting Peter Vedderman

Michael had managed to get an actual phone number, rather than a promise that so and so would call him. Peter Vedderman. He dialed the number he had in his notes and waited for the line to pick up.

"Vedderman," Peter says as he answers his cell.

"Hello, Mr. Vedderman, this is Michael Samuels. I'm calling concerning the up coming meeting of kin where it's my responsibility to provide fitting attire. Is this a good time?"

"Ah, yes... a bit unfortunate how all that turned out," Peter replies. "Now is just fine. What do you need from me, my good man?"

"If it's possible I'd like to ask you a few questions so I can ensure the outfit provided fits and we have gotten your input. Or if you don't have enough time I can schedule a meeting to discuss it."

"Ah, understood. No, no... now is fine. Plenty of time. To be honest, I was perfectly willing to handle it myself. I know you're going to be a bit overburdened, and I figured I'd just lighten your load a tad, as it were."

Michael was a little unsure how to take that exactly. Playing cloak and dagger with phones could be annoying like that. It was harder to read other people's intentions without seeing them. Vedderman could be offering a Boon because he wanted someone in his debt, because he truly did want to provide for himself or maybe even because he felt pity for Richard and Michael and without the face to face contact it was hard to tell which it was and thus how to react. In any case Michael was hoping to get out of this with as few debts as possible so he thought he'd try a few things first.
    "That's very considerate of you. If you don't mind me asking, did you already have something in mind?" See if Michael could afford not to accept the favor.

"I'm not an artsy type of guy, to be honest. So, I won't be performing or anything like that... I was just gonna pick up a nice suit. Off the rack fits me well enough, no need for that tailored hassle," Peter informs him. "Honestly, you guys don't need to worry about me. If outfits at last court were any indicator, you're gonna be pretty busy with some of the other city members. I don't even want a boon, to be honest. I just don't want to tick the Prince off... think he'd be ok with people insisting they take care of themselves?"

Michael was silent for a few seconds considering what Peter had just said. While he seemed plain spoken, especially for speaking over the phone, he still wasn't sure he could trust his intentions. Not taking a Boon risked the Prince's displeasure on Michael more than it did on Peter, saying he wanted to pick out an outfit because he didn't want his Boon would be insulting, offering to pay for the suit anyways risked Michael 'providing' unsuitable attire. He'd try one more time.
    "I'll be shopping a great deal. From what you've said I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to find something for you along the way if I knew your size. It would be my pleasure."
    Come one, free suit, no work, if he really was apathetic he'd accept and if not then he wanted a boon and Michael would likely be unable to persuade him. He couldn't risk pushing harder without seeming too thick headed.

"Worried about the Prince not digging the idea of me getting my own, eh?" he chuckles. "I don't blame you. Tell ya what, we can make it square on paper. I remember the Prince saying anyone assisting wouldn't be guilty by association or get in trouble. I'm a fan of the classics... plain black suit, white shirt, you know. You pick it up, keep your receipts and everything, and I can also just happen to donate enough to the cause to cover my own clothing. That way, you're not out anything except a little time, the Prince is happy... it's a win-win-win. Sound doable?"

Michael slightly pinched the bridge of his nose. The money wasn't what he was worried about and he was pretty sure that wasn't what the Prince had meant when he was talking about guilt by association. He proceeded, changing his tone to a less formal one "I apologize, this situation has me a little paranoid. That sounds fine. However, to make sure it all works out I'll wait until after Court to get your 'donation'."

"Sure thing. If that's how you want to do it, that works for me. Hell, the donation can even be anonymous if you prefer," assures Peter. "Let me know if you need anything else from me, alright?"

With that, Peter rattles off his measurements and a general idea of what he was looking for. As far as Peter was concerned, it's hard to go wrong with the classics.

Michael found what had been requested easily enough. He even bought a tie. And after purchase he removed all tags, bits of cardboard and stray pins. He even saved the receipt, which had the total cost at about five hundred dollars. A copy was not delivered with outfit, though, and Michael was pretty sure he'd loose the document after Court. No matter what Peter Vedderman had said, Michael didn't want to risk the Prince's displeasure again or end up owe someone a debt he didn't have to. Peter wouldn't have to know that until everything was over.

Closed Thread