Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Tenuous Affinity (Private)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

PRE

The Nox. The first time Michael had visited here he had been intrigued by the imagery and decorum. He had been greeted by the tangy aroma of lemons and a tiny Kindred who was anything but insignificant. That was almost two months ago, and Michael was no closer to completing his task and being done with Sacramento than he had been that first night. Being back here made Michael miss the Seneschal, which was saying something - Michael had eschewed personal relationships of any kind since Angela's death at his hand. Michael had loved Angela.

Little Martha Villiers was nothing like Angela, in appearance or demeanor, but she had quickly worked past the wall Michael had erected around himself. She had been the first he trusted in this city. Thomas had been the second. Now there was another to potentially draw into the web; Josephine Sterling. Michael knew only a little about her. She was Sanctified, spoke with a British accent, was someone searching for answers and was at least somewhat familiar with Thomas Galilei. She also did not extend the same amount of trust that Thomas did towards Michael.

Not that I can't work with that. This Deaconship business is just another tool I can use to my advantage. Michael stands near the coffee table where Martha usually has her lemonade. His hazel eyes probe the room, glancing from decor to the various charts to the stairs on which he expected company to descend soon. He has opted for the grey suit with vertical pinstripes and bold red tie he bought not long ago. His red-brown hair is as neatly trimmed as the day he was turned - within standards for an officer of the United State Navy. He checks his cell phone's screen for the time. Early enough. He pockets the phone and scans the room again, hoping Josephine will arrive soon.

Unfortunately for Travis, Josephine is late. Whether this is done intentionally, surely a sign of her impeccable regard for his personage, or whether it is due to the folly of chance and circumstance, she does not venture to say. She merely sweeps into the room, dressed much as she was for the last Court. A red, crushed velvet jacket, red highlights in her hair, a sublimely white blouse, and black slacks and dancing shoes. She barely glances at Travis, likely not even perceiving the particulars of how he is dressed.

"What do you think of the Devil, Mr. Travis?" she asked, breezing over to one of the chairs and taking a seat.

PRE

As Josephine brusquely enters the room, Michael makes a quick assessment of her - after he fights to reign in his cowering Beast. There is a time and place for that kind of fear. Elysium is not one of them. Her appearance is to Michael, for lack of a better word, extreme. Sharp contrasts of color and a look that seems to have been cultivated to make an impression. Michael isn't sure what impression she was trying to make. She also speaks with a familiar accent. There were quite a few Kindred in this city who spoke with a British accent, Michael realizes, though he suspects it is merely coincidence. The fact that she entered and took a seat without so much as acknowledging him also said something - either that she, indeed did not like him or that she preferred to skip the pleasantries and head straight into business. Whichever the case, Michael respected it.

"I would say, in this room, you and I are looking at him. We are monsters, after all." A pause, as Michael seems to consider something. "If, however, you refer specifically to the Judeo-Christian Devil I would say that I have seen too much in my Requiem to be certain of just who that Devil is. I would venture to say that there are a great many types of 'devil' in our world." Michael remains standing, hands clasped in front of him in that echo of his military life.

In truth, the way she'd breezed past him with averted eyes had nothing to do with Michael Travis, the man. Not on the surface, at least. It had had everything to do with what lurked behind his eyes, and beneath the sheaves of cloth covering his skin. Nothing could hide the stain of evil which they all carried inside them. She'd know she would see it in him, and even though she was forewarned, she found it easier to adjust to the presence of his weak, mewling, hell-bound soul by merely ignoring it at first and letting it lie on the periphery of her senses. Eventually she'd have to stop ignoring the man, however, so after pretending to ponder his words she turned her dark eyes toward his.

"It is safe to assume that I speak of the Abrahamic Devil, Mr. Travis, seeing as how you seek a form of entrance into the Lancea et Sanctum. As we are not in mixed company, such careful forms of speech can be discarded, I assure you. You might speak freely when it comes to your belief. That is what I wish to learn of, this evening. And I won't lie to you, or hide the fact that I find it quite distasteful to allow a member of the Invictus into any sort of position among the Sanctified, lest it be on their knees during Mass, but I shall hear you out and let my prejudices be curbed by your wisdom. So, let me ask you again. When thinking of the devil, what comes to your mind? And what are your sentiments towards Satan and his ilk?"

PRE

At least she is honest. It doesn't seem likely she would lie about not liking Michael's involvement in her covenant's affairs. Michael pauses for half a moment, studying her. He would need to remain alert and learn as much about her as he can from their exchange. After all, she could very likely be an enemy one day. He wonders if, perhaps, her direct approach is to cover up any gap that might expose a weakness.

"A position amongst the Invictus, yes." Michael echoes, not answering her question outright. "It certainly is that. I consider it a way to repay Father Galilei for his kindness. Most of our kind aren't as trusting as he is." Yourself, for example. "It was his suggestion, at any rate. I personally don't believe in the Devil as I imagined him in life, much less your God. I was a churchgoing man, once. I understand evil, and still find it distasteful. There are simply to many questions, with no clear answers, about where good and evil truly come from. Since my embrace I have come to appreciate that humans have always feared or worshiped that which is greater than they are. Even some of us have been seen as gods among them. My own Sire saw such a civilization firsthand." Michael considers elaborating more on that particular subject, but decides against it. He cannot be as loose with his words with her as he is with Thomas.

He regards her again with his distant looking gaze, head tilted ever so slightly to the side. "I assume that you, however, still believe in the same Devil - and God - that so many of us were raised to believe in?"

PRE

At least she is honest. It doesn't seem likely she would lie about not liking Michael's involvement in her covenant's affairs. Michael pauses for half a moment, studying her. He would need to remain alert and learn as much about her as he can from their exchange. After all, she could very likely be an enemy one day. He wonders if, perhaps, her direct approach is to cover up any gap that might expose a weakness.

"A position amongst the Invictus, yes." Michael echoes, not answering her question outright. "It certainly is that. I consider it a way to repay Father Galilei for his kindness. Most of our kind aren't as trusting as he is." Yourself, for example. "It was his suggestion, at any rate. I personally don't believe in the Devil as I imagined him in life, much less your God. I was a churchgoing man, once. I understand evil, and still find it distasteful. There are simply to many questions, with no clear answers, about where good and evil truly come from. Since my embrace I have come to appreciate that humans have always feared or worshiped that which is greater than they are. Even some of us have been seen as gods among them. My own Sire saw such a civilization firsthand." Michael considers elaborating more on that particular subject, but decides against it. He cannot be as loose with his words with her as he is with Thomas.

He regards her again with his distant looking gaze, head tilted ever so slightly to the side. "I assume that you, however, still believe in the same Devil - and God - that so many of us were raised to believe in?"

"Excuse me?" Josephine demanded, her voice dripping with incredulity and scorn. "Did you honestly just inform me that you do not believe in 'my God'? And that you find evil to be distasteful? My poor, deranged Mr. Travis, what did you possibly imagine a Deaconship would entail? she questioned, voice rising in pitch along with her sable brows. "You are seeking entrance into a Religion predicated on the existence of an Abrahamic, monotheistic Deity, and more than that, on the necessity of Evil. More specifically, our Evil. Now, I can respect a difference in opinion upon religious matters--I even admire some of what the Crone believe, because in many ways, it still serves His purpose--but how can you sit there and speak to me of unbelief when you are wishing to become an agent of my religion? Do you have any conception of just how ridiculous that is? It's laughable, honestly."

So laugh she did, the sheer absurdity of it more than she could handle. It was almost like something from an existentialist play.

8. Likes Premsyl, West liked this post

PRE

Michael again notes the differences between the two Sanctified - Thomas and Josephine. Where Thomas was calm and understanding, this other was impatient and easily riled. Michael cannot stop a small smile that tugs the corner of his mouth. As they say in chess.... check. He wonders how easy it might be to manipulate her through her emotions. He does what he can to cover up for his smile, using it where it seemed to fit.

"It is laughable. Thomas' belief seems to be that I can still be of some use to you, no matter how distanced I am from your religious beliefs." He realizes that he referred to his friend as something other than Father Galilei. Perhaps it would help the situation. The smile fades from his face, leaving him appearing tranquil once more. "As he explained it to me, there are affairs that are clerical and affairs that are secular within your covenant. I thought, perhaps, I could lend a hand in something I am suited for. Like security." He raises an eyebrow. Strike while the iron is hot.

1 Suxx to taunt Josephine
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-28 10:51:44 Michael Travis rolls 4 to Manipulation+Subterfuge to taunt Josephine. (10 Again) 4, 3, 2, 8 1 success

"If, however, service to your God and covenant takes a back seat to your personal feelings I can always find another way to repay my debt."

"Travis, I honestly think you're out of your depth here," the Ventrue replied, amusement still shining in her eyes. "This is not a boardroom, nor is it a debate. You cannot gain points by playing on political correctness. This is an audition, Mr. Travis. An interview, and so far you have done absolutely nothing to increase my esteem for you. Honestly, I expected more from a member of the Invincible. Alas, I believe the trouble here is not with any flaw in your character, and certainly not in any deficiency of mine, no matter what you might think, but rather in the fact that you are simply ignorant upon matters which you should not be, considering your aspirations. The Lancea et Sactum, is a religion. It is not a secular organization like your own. The Sanctified are comprised of the Clergy and the Laity, it is true, but all are members of the religion. All believe, and all follow the tenets of those beliefs. You would not be a mere secretary as a Deacon, Mr. Travis, you would be the arm of the Sanctified. Having an unbeliever serving in such a capacity would literally be anathema. If you truly have regard for Thomas, as you say you do," she continued, her smile turning vicious, "you would abandon your grasp for power in a realm which you do not understand, for you would terribly ruin his credibility otherwise. Frankly, you would make a mockery of him, of myself, and in doing so, you would make a mockery of your own Estate. Oh, and by the way, security is the province of the Paladin, not the Deacon."

A patronizing tilt of her head punctuated the sentiment, and then the crimson clad vampire slowly rose to her feet. A moment was taken to smooth her apparel, and then she took a step toward the door before turning back to the Mekhet. "I am afraid you are simply not capable of filling this position, Mr. Travis. You are, however, most welcome to attend any sermons, Masses, or other functions that we might hold, but it would behoove you to stick to licking the boots of your temporal betters, in the hopes of achieving an elevated position, than trying your luck among the Faithful."

Unawares
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-28 23:46:37 Josephine rolls 5 to the correct roll to spot the bushel (wits+emp) (10 Again) 3, 5, 1, 1, 2 failure

11. Likes Yumyumcrow, Premsyl, West liked this post

PRE

Those among the Ventrue always had a way of pushing Michael's buttons. He would never show it, openly, but their condescending tones and self-proclaimed superiority make him seethe. Who, exactly does she think she is? Who is she to me? Some pious, kneeling cultist who is going to get staked some night. He lets none of his anger reach his face, but the seeds were planted - some day he would make sure this one knew her place. Then, and only then, would he smile.

It does not help that the matter of Deaconship seemed to have been scrapped. Michael, having few options left, makes one more attempt.

"Wait." He says, though it sounds more like a request than a command. "Thomas believes that God can work through me and my actions, even if I am unaware of it. He seems so sure of it. Sometimes I feel like talking him out of the idea would be blasphemy in itself. He believes I have a purpose among you. I don't know what your relationship is with Father Galilei, but he is a man of convictions; you can tell after speaking with him even once. I may not know much about your religion or even your covenant, but I understand service. I understand working towards a greater purpose. If you are unwilling to allow me a chance for just that - service - then we can simply stop wasting our time. I hope, though, that you will at least give me the opportunity." To 'fail' in the way you have so 'succinctly' drawn out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread