Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1410) Baldwin and Travis

THREADID
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Lord Baldwin saw the move of the hand and seemed unconcerned by it. His eyes met Michael's. Among men? Eye contact. Among Kindred? An assertion. The man had heard of him, hmm?

"A pleasure. Welcome to Sacramento, Mr. Travis."

He smiled. Any pleasantness it would have held on any other was drained by the Menace's cruelty.

"You have heard of me, hmm? What is it that you have heard?"

His head cocked to the side just so, then, he noticed Velma Star and Asa Clarke enter. He gave the Harpy a polite nod and bowed deeply to the Duke.

"The lady I nodded to is Lady Star, the Harpy of this Domain, and the gentleman I bowed to is His Grace, Alder Duke Clarke, the Prince of the Domain," he explained. "Will you be seeking to be Acknowledged, Mr. Travis? Or are you merely visiting?"

PRE

"Nothing of consequence. You were on a long list of names I might want to know." Michael's eyes flit first to the startlingly beautiful Ms. Star then, after a beat, to the Prince. It takes every ounce of self control for Michael not to react visibly to the Prince. If anyone here were likely the one, it would be him. Michael focuses on maintaining his conversation, lest even a stray glance at the wrong time give away his intentions.

"I've met with Ms. Villiers already; she was kind enough to see me back in September. My original plan was just to pass through on business, though now it appears I may be here for an undetermined stay. I don't want to offend with my presence or burden the Domain with another hungry mouth, so I thought it might be a good idea to lend aid where I can." Michael's eyes dart around ever so often as he speaks. He always seems to be looking for something or looking out for someone. Even as distracted as he may seem, there is something in his distant, fleeting, unfocused glances that seem to suggest that he is studying Peter intently. Waiting and gauging the other Kindred's words and movements.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Lord Baldwin nodded, his opinion on his reputation kept to himself. His eyes remained squarely on the Mekhet.

"That's a good strategy, Mr. Travis."

Doing things to help out was good. Asa Clarke didn't strike him as one to think much of layabouts.

"Ms. Villiers is a good start, but perhaps I can help you find your way further. Do you claim membership in any covenant?"

His head cocked just slightly to the side in a monster's best facsimile of that human motion of interest in the life of another being.

PRE

"I do, in fact. I'm of the Invictus. My participation in the First Estate's interests have been limited as of late." Gaining a little more trust wouldn't hurt. The man seems to be a good medium to explore that avenue, though it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution. The man still makes Michael uncomfortable, and he still wishes he had his gun.

"I certainly wouldn't mind keeping busy, though, if the opportunity to serve presents itself. Everyone has their place; mine happens to be taking action." The words sounded odd in Michael's ears. He wonders, for a moment, what that said about him. It certainly wouldn't diminish his usefulness to the covenant, but it makes his own position of power that much more clear to him. Navy, Abgal, the Invictus... I really do live to serve. Michael realizes that his thoughts are wandering and drags himself back to his present place and time. He waits quietly for Peter to respond.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Participation in the First Estate's interests have been limited? That sort of sounded to him like he was not committed to the Covenant. Time for a test.

"Ah. Well, welcome to our Society, then, Mister Travis." His grin was like a shark seeing chum for the first time as the Menace screamed within his breast for Blood. "The Alder Duke is also the Judex, and the Covenant is quite expansive here."

He placed his right hand on his hip, interested. What sort of things could this Mekhet do?

"I am a Knight. I always have use for people who wish to... serve and take action. Are you a Soldier?"

The Order was always looking for Soldiers who showed promise.

PRE

Michael knew this was Invictus territory. He owed the Seneschal for that little bit of information. Friendly territory, then. If you can call bloodsuckers collaborating temporarily to a advance and agenda as 'friendly'. Michael shoots the Prince, Asa , another glance. Currying just enough favor with the man to get close - and perhaps identify the subject he had been assigned to locate - was at the top of Michael's list. He did his best to hide his enthusiasm.

"Soldier? I suppose I am." Michael sees an opportunity to divulge which could actually advance his interests, rather than compromise them. "My Sire gave me the title and namesake 'Erim'; a word that means both soldier and servant, in Sumerian. I also served in the United State Navy, in life." Just enough to bait interest and, hopefully, sew seeds of trust.

P
    Peter Baldwin

"A useful skill-set. I'll let you know if anything arises where it could be brought to bear."

Hopefully, he did not cleave so badly as Roderick Pearson. Hopefully, he did not meet the same tragic ending.

Lord Baldwin's face remained neutral as he pondered what that 'Erim' word could mean. Was his Sire ancient, or simply a scholar? Perhaps a cunning linguist? No matter. His hand tucked into his jacket, and he produced a plain, thick card all in white. On it was a telephone number underscored by a thick black line.

"You are of the First Estate, and so I declare myself to you as a Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Thorned Wreath. If you have need of our services, do not hesitate to call the Line. As with all callers, you will be answered promptly, Mister Travis."

Did he know to only call if it was really, truly necessary? The Knight suspected he would find out shortly. But the Knights were a perk of being of Society; it was surely comforting, even to a trained combatant, to know that they were there. One never fought alone when the Line was in town.

PRE

Perfect. Pieces were falling into place. Michael accepts the card, glancing down at it and flipping it to the back, then front again. He pulls out his phone as Peter continues talking, tapping in the new contact on the touch screen. Michael looks up when Peter finishes speaking.

"Thank you. I don't doubt you will follow through on that, Lord Baldwin. I'm afraid I don't carry a card, but I can give you my number, if you like. I'm eager to prove myself, and I rather prefer to stay active." Michael creases the business card near the divide between the number and the rest of the white space. He neatly tears the card at the line and, producing a pen from his pocket, quickly jots down his own number. He extends the small tab between two fingers to Peter.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Lord Baldwin accepted the piece of his business card, neatly torn and written upon, and placed it inside his suit jacket. A Navy man? Yes, he would be tested for suitability. Every potential Soldier ought to be. His eyes settled on the fellow for a long moment before he spoke once more, contemplatively.

"Excellent. Then I wish you well, and I shall call you when there is an opportunity for you to prove yourself."

He nodded to the unobtrusive Shadow, a polite marker suggesting that for now, their conversation was at an end.

"Enjoy your evening, Mister Travis."

Lord Baldwin returns to the main thread.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.