Watch

The Second Stage

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    C
    Casitive

Thwack!

Of all the places in the Chapter House, the Gym is the least familiar to the tall and spindly Mekhet who currently occupies it. Among the free-weights and the jacuzzi are a couple of black foam sparring swords, they have little in the way of ornamentation and one now sails through the air crashing against a foam wall. The sound of it travels across the second floor of the Chapter House.

Anger boils at David's blood. Mostly, it is anger at himself; still blaming himself for Aοleen's loss and despising himself his own martial ineptitude. Despite his anger sparking immediately after her death, something he allowed the Shrike to handle, it has returned to him with a vengeance. The Mekhet channels this anger and his desire for vengeance into a single-minded quest to Change.

David realizes that if he is to have the vengeance he needs, he must learn how to wield the weapons of war.

Thwack!

This is not something David saw himself doing. It doesn't seem him, the meek, shy boy from Minnesota who ran from bullies on his way home from school or the reticent man who'd rather exist in the world of film than in the grim reality that took his love away. It shows in his stance and in his poor handling of the practice sword; almost as though he is holding it at arm's length. To David's credit, he is quick and nimble as the sword again slams against the wall.

It is a given that the Axe would never come calling on David Regan. But, they weren't there when she died and this is a vengeance David vows to himself is his.

The Mortician sets himself again waiting for that moment of readiness.

Open: But for Jag especially.

Just before the next thwack, another Kindred walked into the gym. Her footsteps are light, likely due to her petite size, but she was not trying to hide her presence from David. "Hey," she said in greeting, a look of amusement in her emerald green eyes. Clearly, she didn't expect to find the Mortician in the gym, whacking practice dummies in his spare time.

That was unexpected...

Perhaps he was working out some pent up frustration, something that the petite Gangrel did from time to time in that very same gym. It was safer for the rest of the world after all; even if the dummies needed to be replaced afterwards. "How are you doing?" she asked, a hint of sincere concern in her voice. While she didn't know David well, so far the Shadow had made a good impression on the feisty little Savage. Besides, he was a fellow Dragon, and one who was hurting. The least she could do was try to help him in some way.

C
    Casitive

“I'm sorry,” David says as his attention finds purchase with the badass Gangrel. His beast screeches in his blood, the hundreds of tiny, hungry maws all wanting the woman's blood – on the walls, the carpet, and dripping off of the foam sword in David's hand. In response, the Man lifts his left hand and rubs the bridge of his nose, calming the beast's base-urges beneath logic and a keen sense of self. “Did you need the Gym? I was...”

A long pause follows as David glances down at the sword, his left hand falling back to his side, “attempting to be less useless with a weapon.”

It's hard to say if David was making any headway.

“I can straighten up and leave if you need the gym,” the Mekhet offers. “Otherwise,” finally coming around to answer Tracy's question, “I'm as well as can be expected.” A canned answer if there ever is one, it says almost nothing. Really, David's aura – if someone can pierce his unnaturally thick veil – would be a myriad of colors. A flower-man who's been cut off at the legs.

PRE

"No need to apologize," said Tracy in response, offering the Shadow a reassuring smile. "I was just coming in for a workout, but its not like we can't share the gym." The petite Gangrel offered him a quick wink after saying those words. "Besides, I may be able to teach ya a thing or two," she added, her smile widening slightly.

"My expertise falls more in line with hand-to-hand combat," explained the tiny Savage as she glanced at the foam weapon that David was wielding. "I guess I've always enjoyed getting really up close and personal with my opponents." A devilish grin formed across her lips, and she let out a little chuckle. "However, I know enough about handling a sword..."

Tracy let her words trail off, turning her attention back to her fellow Dragon. "I've learned how to turn things around me into weapons as well," she said to David, glancing around the room as she spotted different objects that could serve such a purpose. "Its a useful skill, and one that can come in handy when you least expect it."

C
    Casitive

David inclines his head towards Tracy's explanation, a thoughtful look filters through his features. “I guess it means that you aren't ever unarmed,” observes the Shadow as he looks down to the foam sword hanging limp at his side.

“I've tried hand-to-hand combat,” David says sourly, remembering Francisco Giovanni and his attempted murder of Martha Villiers, “I don't think it was for me.”

No explanation follows.

“I would appreciate it, though, if you could give me a few pointers,” the Shadow requests, “if that isn't too much trouble, that is. I don't want to take up all of your time with someone who can barely hit a practice dummy that can't move.” Self-effacing, but it also sheds a vague light onto David's relationship with himself.

PRE

Tracy nodded in response. "That is exactly what it means," she said, her smirk growing wider. Obviously, as a Savage, she was never unarmed one way or the other. But some situations called for...less deadly force, so she had learned to use her environment as a weapon for those sorts of situations. "Well, hand-to-hand combat isn't for everyone. I was always a bit of a natural when it comes to it," she explained, offering him a quick wink.

"But honestly, you have to play up to your strengths," she continued as she walked over to where the practice weapons were kept, and fetched one for herself. "Yeah, I don't mind giving you a few pointers! I need the practice anyway." She tested the foam weapon in her hand, getting used to its light weight.

"Why don't you show me what you know?" she asked, looking up at David with a pleasant smile. "That way I can tell you what you need to work on."

C
    Casitive

“Sure,” David replies faintly, agreeing easily while his eyes travel back to the practice dummy. A moment becomes an eternity while the Shadow envisions the faceless figure in front of him, as the woman wrapped in leathers from a dimly lit memory.

David's foam sword cuts through the air and lands squarely on the dummy's side.

1 Success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-21 13:31:01 David Regan rolls 3 to Hitting a Dummy (STR + WEAP + 0B (Foam Weapon)) (10 Again) 4, 9, 3 1 success

Despite the loud slapping sound, there is no real strength behind it. David's bean-pole frame doesn't occlude a surprising strength, the bookish Mekhet is, indeed, as weak as he appears. Tracy, more adept with scraps and scrapes, might notice a few things. The first, David holds the sword too tightly; as though holding onto it for dear life. The Shadow puts too much focus on the single strike, not allowing it to flow from him. Unbeknownst to him, it telegraphs his movements and can be easily avoided by someone who can see it coming.

This could be overcome, of course, and he has been practicing. However, the extent of the Mortician's knowledge with a sword is crude and amounts to 'stick them with the pointy end.'

It is fairly obvious that this is only a recent development and David is starting from scratch.

PRE

Tracy observed the Shadow as he slashed at the practice dummy, studying his movements and stance. While it was fairly clear that he was a beginner, he had at least managed to land the hit, which was a good sign at the very least. Studying the foam weapon in her hand once more, the petite redhead held it in place before lunging towards another practice dummy, hitting her target right on the chest. It wasn't a powerful blow, but it was accurate.

"The thing about using weapons is understanding how they are meant to be used," she said to David as she turned to face him. "There are many ways one can use a weapon, but they are typically designed for a specific purpose." She paused for a moment, allowing for her words to sink in. "Some are meant to pierce flesh, while others have sharped edges that are best used in slashing motions," explained the tiny Gangrel as she made a couple of slashing motions with the practice sword.

"You also need to learn how to best use your strengths," said Tracy, offering David a quick smile. "If you are no Samson, your strikes need to rely on speed and precision instead of brute strength." Perhaps the Shadow could learn a style such as fencing, which could fit well with his lanky form. "Depending on the situation, you may also consider putting all of your weight behind a swing," she explained right before lunging at the dummy once more. This time the slapping sound was louder, but the blow had not been as accurate and it was clear that the Gangrel had left herself wide open for a counter attack.

"The problem with this strategy is that you leave yourself wide open," she said as she turned back to look at David, remaining in her spot to emphasize her point. "It is a bit reckless, so one needs to learn when it is appropriate to strike at your opponent with all you've got, and when it is not."

2 suxx for each swing
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-28 09:18:45 Tracy Burns rolls 7 to STR+Weaponry+AoA to "practice swing" (10 Again) 8, 10, 5, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5 2 successes
    2014-10-28 09:09:08 Tracy Burns rolls 5 to STR+Weaponry to "practic swing" (10 Again) 4, 8, 4, 10, 7, 5 2 successes

C
    Casitive

“I am only armed with a sling and five stones from a brook,” David interjects ruefully just after Tracy's mention of Samson. A mote of dry, barely-used humor is hinted at in the Shadow's statement.

Despite David's quip about another David, he listens to Tracy intently; fixated on the way the foam sword smacks against the dummy, as well as Tracy's warnings. He remembers having to give everything he could to even attempt to hit a Kindred such as Mr. Giovanni, hearing of its downside is thought provoking and earns a silent nod.

Setting his feet again, the awkward Scarecrow slams his sword into the dummy once more. Like his last hit, it lacks in power and is rather lucky it hit a non-moving target at all.

1 Success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-29 17:50:53 David Regan rolls 3 to STR + Weap (10 Again) 8, 2, 6 1 success

“I can either do it this way,” David says faintly, “or ...” The foam sword cuts through the air again, the force of it much louder, with all of the Shadow's weight – how little there actually is of it – behind the strike.

2 Success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-29 18:05:07 David Regan rolls 5 to STR + Weap + AOA (10 Again) 4, 10, 5, 10, 2, 4, 6 2 successes

“...this way at the cost of my own safety?” The question is more a request for confirmation than actually asking. Straightening a little again, David's gaze lingers on the faceless dummy as he asks, “When do you find it is appropriate to strike with everything?”

PRE

Tracy let out a soft chuckle at his words. While the petite Savage may not have been the best read woman in the Domain, she still caught the Biblical reference. Besides, she had just made one of her own seconds ago anyway. "Cute," she said in response, a devilish smirk forming on the corner of her lips.

She watched him carefully as he set out to strike the practice dummy once more, observing his movements carefully and offering a nod as he spoke. "When you've got nothing left to lose," was the only response she gave to the Shadow's answer. It was true enough though. There had been plenty of times when the feisty little Gangrel had attacked her opponents in such a reckless manner, forgoing all thought of defending herself in the process. However, she had been lucky enough to get out of those situations in one piece. Not everyone was so lucky.

"I don't exactly recommend employing that tactic all of the time," she said to David, offering him a little shrug. "If you and I were ganging up on someone though, then it would be safer to do so." Her lips curved into a devious grin once more; as a brief spark of the bloodlust that lay hidden behind the facade of innocence revealed itself for a mere moment. "If your opponent is outnumber, he will only be able to focus on one of his attackers," she explained to him, the grin widening slightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.