Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Confessions of Conscience (York and Galilei)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Thomas sweeps the dusty floors of the old church Sanctuary, moonlight through the open windows adding glow to the rows of empty pews. He prays in preparation to receive confession, waiting for whomever should arrive.

God, I make myself available for your use. Sometimes, failing for "the best," the Almighty settled for "the best around." Scary thought, isn't it? But a perfect craftsmen can compensate for a faulty tool. Wield me in your capable hands, for your loving purpose. Amen.

He looks around at the low ceiling, the stone walls. It really does feel like that: a Sanctuary . . . more a tiny fortress, really--safe. No gilded altar. No stained glass windows. It's a plain and simple place where a man or woman might meet with God, hopefully without distraction. Some day soon he might purchase some paintings, some carpet too . . . but for now, Thomas is pleased to have any place at all for ministry. His congregation would be its adorning ornaments, until a time when icing was in the budget.

He leans his broom against the side of the confessional, and takes a seat inside his half.

Selena @Vivian York
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

V
    Vivian York

Parking round the corner from the old church sanctuary as indicated for confession, Vivian’s heels clicked upon the sidewalk. The sound echoed slightly, sounding hollow in the night. There were times she felt as hollow as the clicking of her shoes. Would what she said be of the same nature? It had been many many years since the Daeva set foot in a church for any reasons other than religion. For once, she wore no perfume, her attire was unlike it was most days; somber and simple, complete with gloves. In other words, boring damn church attire.

Stopping and putting her hand on the doors of the holy place, she froze. Am I wasting my time? Am I wasting this man’s time?

Above all, she wondered about his words:
    I can promise this: I will listen. I won't judge. And I won't air your shit. All clans and covenants are warmly welcome, without bias
    Would this be true? They were Kindred after all, and secrets were a good form of blackmail and boon collection. Was this Thomas’ purpose for these confessions? Was he toting himself as clergyman in order to screw everyone over later?

This weighed on Vivian’s mind for several moments before making a decision and opening the doors.

She breathed in, not for the sake of breathing but to take in the smell of the old church. The residual smell of incense penetrated her nose. She hated it. It was pungent and meaningless to her just like the anointing waters that were sometimes found by the front doors. Who was to say someone didn’t urinate in it while no one was looking. There were tales it had happened many times.

As Vivian stepped into the confessional, she hardly knew why she was here. The small taste of religion could have an effect on her; one way or another. She opened the slot to the veil between her, and the Priest, the sheath of anonymity. The Daeva could feel Thomas' Beast, and he could probably feel hers as well.

Thomas Galilei

PRE

A person. Kindred, he realizes, when they open the slot. Beast can sense best despite the blurring of physical form, can hate without seeing fully, just as it can hate without knowing fully, or even despite it. The two halves of the confession become a pair of adjoined cages, but the sensation dulls with passing silence, eventually fading, suppressed to back of his consciousness. "How long since your last confession?" He puts all the love and welcome he can muster into those words, without a trace of artifice.

Even as he awaits his or her answer, he prays, silently to himself. Not my will, but yours be done. Not my words. Not me. You. For you. By you. Please. Thomas' has some reckoning of a soul's value, enough to know he can't be trusted with one alone. He belongs as much in the other half of the wooden box as they--he knows better than to ever forget it.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

V
    Vivian York

Right, I forgot that question would be asked.

The Daeva was too busy figuring out what she’d say or how she’d start to recall the other details that she thought were small, apparently they weren’t.

In a quiet voice, she was honest with her answer. “I’m not entirely sure. Can’t recall.” It was possible she may have when the Daeva was younger, and a memory or several fogged over through the years. Since she was thinking it, she may as well speak it. Politely she asked, “Is that important?”

Vivian was quite serious, despite politely sincere in her question. It would be utterly rude to come in and mock someone's religion especially in their own territory. She nearly added more, but didn't want to apologize for an honest question.

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Important? He thinks a moment, almost laughs to himself. "No . . . I don't suppose it is. Tradition, you see? For some, it's important that I ask." He's a little shocked, but mostly amused by her asking. This woman, as it's apparent now, would have no trouble with honesty in their session. "I guess, too, it's a standard question to start with, one with an answer that's simple fact . . . to warm people up to intimate conversation with celibate clergy in a wooden box." He hopes his first question hadn't made her defensive, tries a bit of humor as an alternate means of helping her "get comfortable," of helping her relax.

Perhaps he should meet her sincere honesty with a measure of the same: "What's most important is whatever helps you most. I'm here to listen, to help you unburden your heart however I can. You could tell me some about your spiritual background, if you like; or you could dive right into trying to articulate what troubles you. No judgment or rushing here--that business is for magistrates and traffic cops."
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

V
    Vivian York

“Well, I’m not entirely certain what some would consider spiritual. I believe there’s a higher power of sorts. Some label whatever it is differently.” Shrugging even though no one could see. “Sure, I’ve prayed to God in the bedroom before or those half prayers of ‘get me out of this mess’.”

If you count 'Oh God, yes yes God!', as praying… the Daeva though for a tick.

Serious time Vivian. “But in all honesty, I believe I may have been somewhat religious too long ago to actually remember. The memories are vague from that time…” The Priest knew what she was, he’d get the hint. “We were married in a church, if I recall. My former husband and I that is. Not sure if it was Anglican or Pentecostal, they blend together for me.” So did Catholicism, but she wasn’t about to tell a Catholic Priest that in his own dwelling.

“I’m fairly positive I threw it all out the window when my husband died.” Which also felt like eons ago

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Thomas, smiles unseen. "You're delightfully honest, Ma'am." This woman has no illusions about her righteousness, or dramatizations about sinfulness--she simply is what she is, without apology or excuse. There's a certain charm to it, but Thomas cautions himself against mistaking plain honesty for a plain person. There are already complexities he's struggling to weave together: a widow, the casual defiance of tradition while still turning to it, a mixed history of religious experiences. She's an utter puzzle.

"I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I'm told that time heals all wounds--and vampires have an abundance of time--but there are such things as scars . . . and phantom pain." He trusts a bold woman not to be offended by his own unmalicious boldness. "I daresay, that if you threw it all out the window then, you might have missed some in the corner--we are here together, now. I've found, with myself, that all the times I had forsaken God, he had never forsaken me . . . footprints in the sand, if you prefer cute American idioms. But, a divorce requires two signatures, and God is not the kind to sign."

He pauses a moment, to gauge her silence, to let his words settle. "Do you think there was something to it, your leaving God, when your husband left you, in a manner of speaking? Perhaps you blamed Him? Or, feeling vulnerable, needed to detach?" Healing sometimes requires the opening of old wounds; Thomas is careful that his touch is as gentle as it can be, scalpel in hand.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

V
    Vivian York

Vivian’s head turned with a twisted look on her face to the unseen man on the other side. Was he patronizing her? She really hoped not and this was serious. Even if she laughed, she was attempting to be serious; nerves came out in strange ways.

Hearing the Priest say ‘vampires’ aloud made her insides jump. Anyone could have walked in there at any time to listen. The Daeva had no idea how sound proof the confessional had been.

Huh, why does he think I’m forsaken? She hadn’t even revealed the real reason she was here yet.

Listening to Thomas speak of phantom pains, or mental scars, she could possibly have grown a callous over it all, due to the other things in her life and unlife. Pleasantly with a curious tone she spoke again. “I’m sorry, what does divorce have to do with my dead husband?” The Daeva clearly ‘over’ the fact that he was gone… years ago. If he was attempting to use an analogy that was not the kind she could apply at the moment.

Shaking her head, despite he could not see. “No… Since I was never really the religious type before, I daresay that had no effect on me.” A moment of silence, while she tried to explain what she meant. “I threw it ‘out’ so to speak because it wasn’t as important to me as it was to him. The only one I blamed for his death was the person who removed took his life.”

Or the organization that conspired to do so. Vivian thought to herself. The conversation, or confession, was not turning out the way she'd hoped. The Daeva hadn't considered the discussion that would arise from simple initial questions.

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Thomas tries to understand as she further explains. "I was simply curious, I suppose, if there were a connection, between your husband's death and your 'throwing it out the window,' since the events, if I heard correctly, happened together." Thomas believes that by better understanding his fellows, he can better help them. It seems, though, by her questions and explanation that she'd rather be more forthright. "I remain sorry for your loss." On both counts.

"May I ask, now, more directly: what's on your mind?" He's genuinely curious, and hope it conveys despite their separation. Something special must have driven her here, to have returned to God after so long.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

V
    Vivian York

Then, when it happened, most women clung to their faiths. Became holy women, remained faithful to what once was. Frowned upon to date, remarry, or gaspm heaven forbid, ‘enter into another man’s bed’.” The Daeva shuddered the thought of remaining celibate for the rest of her days. Her thoughts paused and she looked to the confessional where the priest sat. Vivian wondered how difficult it was to do that. Of course, it would depend on his age, she supposed.

“I guess you could say I’m here because I’ve given into my lustful ways more times than anyone could imagine.” The Succubus’ words were true, depending on one’s definition of lust. In all honesty, it was herself, Andrew, or Jason who all did so.

“And yet, not took up with anyone like ourselves.” Which was also true, with the general definition of lust. However, Vivian wasn’t going to pull apart what she meant for now. She would let Thomas believe it was all the passion and desire. All of which were true, in some way. "But lust is one of the Seven sins, right? Or am I mistaken?"

She'd seen enough movies to at least piece that much together. After all, it seemed to be a Daeva's specialty...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread