Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

The door to Asa's office in the Nox Underground was open. Here and there, between the office and the stairs, was a partial wet footprint. A stray piece of mud that he hadn't been able to shake loose rested on the lowest step.

Just inside the open door, a soaking wet Prince stood, in jeans, an oxford, and hiking boots. Arms outstretched, he examined a sport coat.

I'm going to take a little liberty and set this after [Golden Bough] Police Presence Noted because I've been describing suits for years. Hopefully, Joe doesn't help Tommy G and Jo-Jo ash/diablerize/Torpor/imprison Asa. If so, well, we'll just have to figure something out.
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

2. Likes Brownlee, Forn Clakes, Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    (-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

PRE

The Hierophant still has some unfinished business with the Prince. Obviously, he would never say it like that to anyone, but that's how it feels for the young Crone worshipper.

Besides, multiple people have been encouraging him to talk to Asa now. So, why not give it a try? How did he prepare: 1, buy a new suit. His most expensive one yet, a real Armani. Of course it's not just for this meeting, but it's still nice. 2, relax. This will end badly if he gets emotional. He's made mistakes before, now he needs to think before he says things.

That's it. It makes no sense to prepare a lot if you don't know what to expect. Like, he would have never anticipated a trail of mud leading to the Prince's office. No matter how subtle, he'll notice. Court is so perfect otherwise.

He would never expect the Prince in hiking boots. Chris isn't sure whether this is a good time or a bad time, but he's here now. At least it's good to see a more human side of the Apex Predator.

'Prince Clarke,' he says calmly, as he approaches the office. If Asa looks in his direction, Chris will respectfully bow. 'Can I come in?' is then the unnecessary question.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was torn. Whatever else had changed, his penchant for ruining clothes while 'adventuring' remained intact -- unlike said clothing. He turned and dropped the jacket on the back of the couch.

"Certainly,"
    he answered, gesturing towards Chris.

Shadows and Haunts. The blankness made them easy to underestimate; to forget, without the predator within to remind. Asa did not forget. He stirred his Blood, fortifying and invigorating his body as the sorcerer closed the distance.

"You look nice,"
    Asa continued. A smile concealed the thoughts that demanded the precautions.

"Have I forgotten a formal Court?"

It was possible.

-2V for Vigor and Resilience
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Chris returns the smile, this seems like a good start. He thankfully nods as the Prince compliments him. Then he takes two steps further inside the office. Still standing.

'Oh no, not that I know of.' That would be a strangely secret Court. 'It's just, I spent so much time on the road lately that I actually like to use certain opportunities to dress up.'

Men is suits look good, right? Though when Chris looks at Asa, he reminds himself that clothes play only a little part in everything. There's much more about him that many people would find attractive. And some women in specific...

'But maybe I should have worn something more informal. It's nice to be here outside of formal Courts...' by the way he looks, that should feel like he's saying: it's nice to see the Prince outside of formal courts. But Chris is not sure what to say. He's curious where Asa would go for a hike. But - no idle banter, and Chris has had his bromances in Sacramento already.

The Prince is not a good candidate.

'So... speaking of Court.' What doesn't mean that Chris can't keep things light-minded. 'I really feel that I need to apologize, as Hierophant. Especially knowing some of the traditions involving "Grove Kings", like Gunnar was.'

His expression is serious now, though he waits before explaining himself further. One thing he doesn't want to do is talk too much and annoy Asa.
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

6. Likes Brownlee, West, Wod.Infant liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

Asa smiled at the explanation of the clothing, and gestured toward a chair.

"A friend once told me that being overdressed simply meant you had great expectation; however, being undressed meant that you were a manner-less pig." The smile widened slightly, suggesting it were a joke rather than a future mandate.

He strode across the room to disappear behind a warped glass wall, and returned with a crimson towel. He'd learned long ago what color towels to purchase. Briskly, he began drying his arms and face.

"Hierophant Wooding, I would only consider one question relevant. Regardless of suspicions, or proclivities, did you know about Gunnar Haroldson?"

The smile had faded, and the tone shifted to a more serious one.

8. Likes Matamune, Forn Clakes, Dark Passenger liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

The Mekhet takes that into serious consideration. Did he have great expectations? He honestly doesn't know. It's always hard to guess how sincere he is to himself, after waking up in this office that one day.

Now he can sit down at his own pace. Relax even, to some extent.

I can say now that I prefer Asa to Erika, when it comes to pressure.

How comforting. While Asa dries his face, the Hierophant slowly shakes his head. 'Oh no, I did not. Trust me, you would have known if I did, Prince Clarke.' Then again, he still seems to blame himself for his ignorance. Fact remains that an acolyte was slaughtered in Court. 'It's not too much trouble to have a look. But I guess that leads to a more general discussion of ethics and privacy.'

Martha could easily check everyone. But they're probably not going to have that discussion now. Still, Chris could at least attempt to hit multiple birds with the same stone, in this meeting. If there's actual an 'killing' happening remains to be seen:

'Like, I can have an even more revealing view on things. But not everyone would appreciate that, if they knew.' There's a short pause, then he closes the subject of "Dead Rex", with a smile 'However, now that the matter is resolved I can have peace with it.'

10. Likes West liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ethics and privacy.

Just as Wooding knew, Asa knew that Martha was capable of checking everyone she Acknowledged. As was he. He did not, and assumed she did not. Was it blind faith? Or stupidity? It was neither. It was an opportunity. The Laws were stated, and a choice was offered. Certainly, a shadow of Mandragora Past had blossomed into the death of Gunnar Haroldson, but it had grown in the fertile soil of a choice.

"Then there is no need for an apology."

Asa shrugged, and sat.

"Although, if it wouldn't be an imposition, or a violation of your Covenant's trust, I confess to a certain curiosity about this 'Grove King' that you mentioned?"

12. Likes Yumyumcrow, Forn Clakes liked this post

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Chris nods, then he smiles. He can always appreciate curiosity in a person. Maybe also because that makes it easier to justify his own thirst for knowledge.

'Oh no, not at all. There's no secrets involved in telling what a Grove King is. Besides, the position is quite an unusual one nowadays. Unless someone claims to be a Grove King - or Rex Nemorensis - there won't ever be one. I think that a King of the Grove is more a mythical figure with ancient occult knowledge, a keeper of darker secrets. One who's not involved with politics - or rituals even. To put it in simple words, the individual would typically be the king of his own grove, rather excluded from society. But he would always be open to give advise to acolytes.'

The Hierophant can only tell the basic and perhaps even stereotypical things about Grove Kings. There's not much more to say, even he has never met one before Gunnar. All he knows are the stories from his own mentor. That's why he was quite excited to learn more from the viking acolyte - but he keeps that to himself. Obviously.

'A position that can only be claimed needs to be defended. So a Rex Nemorensis would have to be a more than capable predator. The only way to become Rex Nemorensis is by defeating the previous one. So...' he grins, not sure if he can make jokes, but then it just happens, 'if Arnold Culler has ever had any questions about faith, now would be the time to step over.'

'Which is also why I was here in the first place. For some, a King of he Grove is only properly defeated until his soul is diablerized.' While his voice was casual or almost amicable first, it now hits an ominous tone, 'It is said, in stories, that then the soul of one Rex would pass on to the next, or even some of his knowledge.'

14. Likes Brownlee liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Ah, I wondered whether your Grove King was related to Rex Nemorensis. Diana of the Wood was on the Roman denarius."

Of course, the only reason Asa knows is because money is involved. Or maybe not. It's entirely possible that the title reveals far more about the deceased than Wooding's own accounting. He settled back against the couch, relaxing. A dirty boot lifted to rest at an angle on the ottoman, and he studied Chris for a small eternity.

"We all know that knowledge can be transferred by Diablerie," he began, considering his words and eschewing the gentle term. "We also all know this is forbidden by the Third Tradition. Of course, the Traditions are not inviolate -- else the Second would preclude most of our existences."

"Yet, I think it's also fair to say that most of us pay more than lip service to the First and Third, for whatever our reasons -- most likely survival. I think that the prospect of destroying a soul, if this is what Diablerie does indeed do, rather than transfer cellular knowledge, is not something to be taken lightly. Ultimately, it falls upon me to make the decision, and Mr. Haroldson denied me the choice of giving him the benefit of the doubt when he chose to conceal his past. The vast majority of Sacramento Bloodhunts have involved the Brood, Seven, or the Traditions. I say vast, because I can't wholly speak for Straiphen or Freddrick."

Asa gestured at Chris before folding his arms.

"I respect this might be an acceptable practice among your Covenant, but I can think of no knowledge I would seek to possess valuable enough to destroy another soul. I don't expect it to be a universally accepted opinion, but I pose that question to you: Would you?"
    He shrugged, not expecting an answer. "As Hierophant, you will face decisions, just as I do. One of my decisions has been to judge a man by his deeds rather than his affiliations. Meaning that, even if the entire Circle believes Diablerie to be acceptable, I concern myself only with the one that committed the act. You will probably be faced with a similar choice when your Covenant asks you to judge me. Will you judge me based on your affiliations, or on my individual actions?"

He leaned back and closed his eyes. It was another rhetorical question, and he left the obvious unsaid -- that he would defend himself, even if it meant destroying an entire Covenant single handed.

"I don't envy you those questions."

Asa opened his eyes and raised his head to look at Wooding with a small smile.

"You've come to apologize, and once before you asked me if you could be of service to the Domain. And I'm sure we both question your motives. Yes, I've been avoiding you. It was a deliberate effort I made to give you time and distance rather than reinforcing your Vinculum."

Yes, he remembered.

"Lastly, I will offer this: You may Read me, and see that nothing concerning my decision regarding Gunnar Haroldson had anything to do with the Crone, or any hidden agenda to cripple or destroy it or benefit another Covenant."

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

The denarius? Chris can't deny that for a second he wonders if Asa has ever used denarii as currency. As in, for real.

Nahhh... He would have been insane by now, wouldn't he?

While the Princeps speaks, the Hierophant slowly nods a few times as he listens carefully. He understands the man's reasoning. Diablerie is a horrible thing, there is no doubt about it. It's only the way of how everything happened that bothers him. Chris might have banned or even killed Gunnar - but not without any sort of trial or investigation. Although the elder viking probably wouldn't have cooperated nicely. It's just so complicated.

Chris' expression radically changes a few times as the conversation continues. He shakes his head - destroying another soul is not a common practice among the Circle. His smile has disappeared completely, as Asa keeps on talking he feels more and more uncomfortable. Even though the Apex Lord has perfectly rational arguments, all the rhetorical questions make Chris want to talk to Erika again. Then, surprise.

Reinforcing my Vinculum? He looks at Asa with his eyes wide open. You can almost hear him think. Would that have been a bad situation? The Circle would be a slave to the Invictus, but at least there would be a Circle. Maybe. If he hadn't been Hierophant. Now he can't do it to his acolytes. Or could this be seen as a sacrifice to secure his Covenant? His freedom for the greater good? No, he probably doesn't want it. He's not that desperate. Chris is only a young Kindred, yet he has accomplished quite some things already. It would be bad to just want more and more.

His response is somewhat less composed than he had been before. 'I just wish to say that the Circle does not support diablerie. Destroying one's soul is still a most heinous act. Especially considering that we are a Covenant that worships the Crone, a decision to commit diablerie would mean that you place yourself above the Goddess. That is in no way acceptable... the Rex Nemorensis is just a rare exception that I hadn't encountered in real life before.'

In a pause he tries to relax again. He leans back with a shrug, 'Thus, I honestly cannot say how I would have acted. Therefor I can only respect your decisions, and trust your judgement, Prince Clarke. However, I admit it would be comforting to see the truth that I believe in, if only to convince my fellow Acolytes to remain calm and understanding. A situation from which we both benefit.'

A mild smile appears, as he waits for some sort of sign that he may begin his 'reading'. Though if nothing happens, he will do it anyway. This chance is a unique one. So he tries to read all there is to read from Asa's aura. And then even more. Because whether it's good or bad, he likes more.

Aura Perception and Arcane Sight, -1 vitae
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-10-08 14:53:17 Chris rolls 11 to Wits + Occult + Auspex to use the Arcane Sight (10 Again) 7, 9, 9, 2, 10, 10, 3, 8, 9, 6, 1, 1, 2 6 successes
    2014-10-08 14:50:41 Chris rolls 6 to Intelligence + Empathy + Auspex to Aura Reading (-3 for subtle shifts) (10 Again) 2, 9, 7, 3, 3, 9 2 successes

17. Likes West liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread