Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
A Lovely Night for a Swim (Private)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Monsters existed in this world. They walked the earth. They flew the skies. In haunted alleyways, where violence lived. In the dark places beneath the city where few dared to tread at night and fewer survived.

Some even said they existed in the water.

The Loch Ness Monster.

Ogopogo.

And in the waters of Lake Natoma? Peter Baldwin.

The Knight swam quietly through the lake, a breaststroke cutting him through the water like a shark in the pale moonlight. This was training, pure and simple. Strengthening the Kindred form, understanding how to break through the stagnation that the vampiric condition forced on the human body. In the inky depths, surfacing for air only to maintain the Masquerade, Peter Baldwin simply was.

After all, without other Beasts whipping the Menace into a furor, it was peaceful. His phone was in his bag on the shore, set to ring loudly if the Line was called. Duty never ceased, but knowing how to use modern technology never hurt to make it a little easier. Plus, it was so very quiet...

What a nice change.

V
    Vivian York

Vivian didn’t have much to do as of late, but she preferred this to the hell of Toronto. Before it became questionable that someone was out for a swim at a lake, the Daeva was determined to find a place to swim before the chill of fall and winter set in. Vivian, wasn’t necessarily a ‘swimmer’ but there was something to be said about dipping into a quiet lake at night.

In her ’69 blue nova, she set out for the first lake she saw on highway 50. Several miles later, Vivian sees some signs for Lake Natoma and took the exit. Driving around until she saw the swimming area signs, she parked the car and got out. The silence of everything was blissful, other than nature. But, she wasn’t that desperate to find some badger for a meal.

Switching her shoes for sandals from the back seat, the blonde grabbed the bag with a change of clothes, and towel. The Daeva's swimwear was beneath the wrap dress she threw on since she didn’t care if it got sand or whatever on it. It was also a rare night she was not wearing gloves.

As she approached the lake, the Daeva thought she heard something in the water. She continued to walk, presuming it was some nocturnal animal looking for food or passing by. When Vivian drew closer, she tossed her bag on the shore, and slipped off her shoes. Her eyes peering around before setting foot into the water. The noise wasn’t an animal, it looked much like a person…

Great…. Just when I thought I was going to be alone.

The Daeva turned back to look at the car, debating on just leaving. Giving whoever it was a good puzzle for the night. There were probably other lakes.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Sir Baldwin didn't see her right away, there on the beach. It was one of those things where it took a couple of strokes, 'surfacing for air'... and suddenly, it happened: his eyes flicked over and with it came the rage as the Menace asserted itself, kicking within his chest as it felt Another. He floated in the water, treading lightly, clamping his lips shut and gritting his teeth.

It wanted him to kill, or worse.

The Kindred's Blood was weak.

She would be delicious.

Many young Kindred probably thought that about her, euphemistically, a term used for that enticing body. The Beast wasn't so polite. It simply wanted him to dash her beautiful brains against the nearest rock, or for him to rip out her throat with his fangs.

You know. That old chestnut. Every Kindred would surely know exactly how he felt, right?

Of course, that wouldn't be polite. Nor would it be permitted. There were codes. There were rules. Those structures which had taken Peter Baldwin from a foul creature worthy of Nosferatu Blood and made him a Lord of the Unconquered. The strictures of the Invictus were his handcuffs, to be certain, but they were also the things that had saved him. And so it was that Lord Baldwin smiled at the Kindred.

"'evening," he said, raising a hand in a bit of a wave.

Knights were always polite, and they were the only beings he could see in the area.

V
    Vivian York

The rustling in the water turned to something else. Vivian looked back for a moment, the reflection off the lake cast a glow of what appeared to be a man rising out of the water and she saw the smile.

…and now he spoke…too late to leave.

When the Daeva began walking a little closer, an ominous feeling began settling on her. It wasn’t much, but that feeling something was there... just something.

Vivian smiled back, and replied in a cheery manner. “Evening to you too. I didn't expect to see someone out here.”

The water played tricks on her eyes, it could have been the paleness from the half moon shining on the lake, or he was just someone who used a lot of sunscreen. The Succubus removed the dress that was covering her swimwear. “So, how’s the water?” Like it mattered to her, it could be water at the north pole and it wouldn’t have phased her vampiric body.

P
    Peter Baldwin

English? That was interesting.

"Neither did I, to be honest. Usually, the place is pretty dead this time of night." He shrugged, little rivulets of water dripping back into the lake from his short, wet hair as he did. Cold eyes flicked down her body. No weapons that he could see, and not much else either. She would put a lot of the Kindred in the Court to shame. Now that he'd felt her Beast, he was in no rush to Blush. "It's not bad. Still summer, so it hasn't gotten too chilly yet."

He looked past her to where she'd been looking before he called out to her. That car had style. It looked like something out of a cool old movie or something.

"Nice ride. Where'd you find an old classic like that?"

V
    Vivian York

“Its hard to judge weather once a person moves further south. I’m sure that up north it’s perhaps in the 50s or I dare say 60s.” Chuckling softly. The Daeva was at the water’s edge and whatever she felt grew stronger. Holding her smile would take a bit of work. Vivian felt like if she entered, she would be shark bait.

Glancing back to the car, she turned back to the man. “I bought it on my way through Pennsylvania from a private owner. I just saw her on the street with the sign and knew it was destiny.”

Now that her feet were well in the water, she looked at the man as a sensation crept through her. Serial Killer? Although who was she to judge, she would just be in the wrong place at the wrong time like some others she knew. “If you would like to continue on privately, I could leave. You were here first after all.”

At least I took my shoes off in case I need to run....

the swimwear

P
    Peter Baldwin

Peter continued to tread. It wasn't necessary, but it was nice to feel the water moving through his hands.

"Sometimes, fateful meetings happen. You and your car must've been one of them. And you are more than welcome to stay. There's plenty of lake to share." He paused a moment as he struggled against the Beast's urges.

"My name is Peter Baldwin, by the way. I work security for Mr. Clarke's company here in Sacramento. Pleasure to meet you."

The reveal. He wasn't flashing his Beast, but he was certainly letting her know he wasn't prey. If she was part of the Domain, she'd know the name.

He planted his feet on the sandy bottom, relaxing a little and keeping his balance.

V
    Vivian York

“Is this going to be another fateful meeting of some type?” Vivian chuckled again, the uneasiness in her voice was becoming harder to cover up.

You work for him as what, a secret assassin? If that was true, they had a common ground. Despite her thoughts, Vivian was partially relieved he was another Kindred, even though she could have had a nice snack. The thoughts of flirting her way into a long drink vanished. Replaced by the want to entirely wanting to stay. He seemed nice enough, but there was that unnerving feeling she couldn’t shake.

“Ah, well thank you for the clarification.” Slowly working her way into the water, the Daeva went in to about waist high. “Pleasure to meet you, Peter, I’m Vivian York.” The Daeva stood on one leg, ready to plant the other one just in case he wasn’t as friendly as his words portrayed.

“If I’m interrupting you, please continue. I’m not an avid swimmer by any means. I just enjoy getting a little wet that isn’t a hotel pool.” Softly smiling, albeit a little apprehensive, which was perhaps becoming quite clear as she was nearer to him, and their eyes were adjusted to the night.

P
    Peter Baldwin

As she entered the water, Sir Baldwin finally pushed the Blood, forcing it to his skin to give him that appearance of life that belied the truth: he was a corpse, walking and talking and swimming. It had happened recently. He'd noticed the changes, and it had given him pause.

He'd spent more time under the Cloak since then, glad that he had it. The Masquerade. While the Kine would never know what he was, and that would give him some cover, it was important that he maintain it. A bit of makeup here, a cloak there, lighting that helped...

The Menace didn't just whisper, anymore.

"You as well, Ms. York," he said. "And no, I was due for a break." One couldn't swim forever. It was a risk. "It depends on what you define as fateful. Two people of similar affiliation meeting up in a lake? I think I might've seen that in a sitcom, once." A little smile crossed his gaunt features.

"Have you been around long? Met Miss Villiers and all that?"

-1V for Blush of Life.

V
    Vivian York

Realizing that Peter may have the right idea, Vivian also blushed. One Kindred unblushed swimming wouldn’t draw attention. Two, and talking, on the other hand may do just that. Although, it may have felt like a waste to push the vitae unto her unnatural body to keep up appearances, it wasn’t a waste to preserve the Masquerade. She may not have much investment in the Domain of Sacramento, but she did care about her own hide. Sigh, Kine at least serve a purpose.

“Yes, true enough. Or some strange movie…” Like a horror movie, Vivian couldn’t shake the thoughts of why she was so unnerved.

The Daeva shook her head. “No, I have not been around here long, but long enough to meet Miss Villiers. I was at the social gala, so many were there.”

Her arms slowly moved the water around her, cupping her hands to swirl it while they continued talking. “How long have you been in the city? I apologize I don’t recognize you from that event.”

It was clear that Vivian was on the edge for some reason, and why not express her concerns, she would rather be blunt, than have a sneak attack. Faintly, she spoke in a whisper. “I have a strange feeling we’re being watched by something.” The Daeva couldn’t shake the feeling, and she’d rather bring it up and beat around the bush.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread