Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Knight's Confession (Baldwin and Galilei)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thomas Galilei

Blood Potency: O O
    Presence: O O O (Dignified)
    O Status: Lancea Sanctum
    O Status: Domain
    O Status: Ventrue
    OO Distinctive Voice: Quiet Certainty

PRE

Thomas prays--it's preparatory: desperate yet trusting, urgent yet patient; ignorance has a way of inspiring supplication. God, I'm not sure what to expect, and . . . Sir Baldwin had seemed distraught about requesting confession. Had he committed some sin of special gravity? Thomas can't imagine what difficult circumstances the Knight's service endangered him to, what gray decisions. I will certainly fail him if left to my own devises, my own limited wisdom and counsel. He'd been a soldier himself once, years ago, and remembers the weight of responsibility, the speed at which crucial decisions had to be made, and that with partial information. If you would have me, LORD, I submit myself as a vessel, to speak your words, to convey your love and truth. Let not this man of virtue--courage and duty--receive me, a poor substitute, but rather experience the fullness of your character through me. Amen.

Thomas rises from his knees with a tranquil mind, having left his worries on the floor with his prayer. He clears his mind of speculation to better listen. Had he been certain, faith would not have had space to believe it would have all it needs in time. He finds a broom, and busies himself with sweeping until the Knight arrives.

@%1; Peter Baldwin
    =====================
    Active Effects: Blush; Kamen: Tatemae (Perfect Calm)

Scenes

=====================

2. Likes Yumyumcrow, Chrisie liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Inhumane.

That was how Sir Baldwin felt as he drifted into the priest's church, cold brown eyes scanning about as he came. The Beast was hidden, the Menace showing itself through the tension that constantly pervaded everything he did. The Knight had come under the Cloak, so that he could come as he truly was.

Dead.

Pallid.

Sunken.

If he was a creature of God, then God's chosen would accept him as he was.

His black t-shirt, blue jeans and leather jacket was window-dressing, concealing the truth of what he was, but it was something there, something about the way his cheeks sunk into his face, the way his skin tightened with the grip of death that revealed him.

He'd never been a very religious man, having turned to sin so early, so lovingly, but once upon a time, Peter Baldwin had been a baptized child. He remembered. It hadn't been centuries for him, not like so many others.

He had turned from it, but... was acceptance of the Lancea et Sanctum's God the road back from whence he'd come? The First and the Second traditionally stood side by side, and Mass brought comfort to troubled, Damned souls of all Covenants save for the Pagans.

Could Peter Baldwin be saved?

Did he want to be?

The Menace kicked beneath the cloak, demanding he do to Galilei what he'd done to so many others. It didn't want to be saved.

"Father."

touch of shadow, cloak roll on the way in (dropped now that he opened the door to come in)
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-09-24 14:26:17 Peter Baldwin rolls 5 to Touch of Shadows (-1, knife) (10 Again) 1, 9, 7, 4, 3 1 success
    2014-09-24 14:26:01 Peter Baldwin rolls 6 to Cloak of Night (on the way in, Int+Stl+Obf) (10 Again) 6, 9, 9, 4, 2, 5 2 successes

Thomas Galilei

PRE

No prayer could have prepared him for the terror that entered through those church doors in the guise of Peter Baldwin. The face is familiar, somewhere beneath the stain of shadow, the cling of unutterable menace, but the horror . . . Thomas had known it's form, but not its fullness--as though he'd seen the sword, sheathed before, now bared: deadly and frightful. No ordinary love could keep his feet planted, in the presence of the greater Beast. He begins to flee, against his will, turning his back to the Knight.

Thomas passes Frenzy Check

No! It's his human that sings out this time, from beneath the Beast. He would not abuse the trust, the faith of one so trustworthy, so faithful . . . who'd bared himself, humble and vulnerable. Thomas halts his retreat, braces himself by gripping a splintered pew, and then turns to face the Beast in it's full menace, deaf now to his own Beast's cries and whimpers, its snarls and snapping. Faith is what picks up one foot and puts it forward, and then again, and then again. It is God whom I serve. Whom should I fear? He paints apology on his face, finds the man inside the monster. "Welcome,"--his voice cracks on the first word--"to the loving arms of the Father." He swallows. "Receive the peace and acceptance you deserve from your Creator, and a fellow struggler." Thomas places a shaking hand on the Sir Baldwin's noble shoulder, meets his gaze, makes an unspoken promise: I'm not running anywhere.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

5. Likes Wod.Infant liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Why was the priest touching him? Sir Baldwin's eyes slid down to the hand on his shoulder, then flicked back to Galilei's before he gently stepped back a half pace. Not so fast as to be rude, but a little reminder that one did not simply touch another vampire.

The Beast was on a short leash, but it could bite if one got that close.

"Thank you."

He looked to the box, where Thomas heard and swept the sins from his dark penitents.

"I appreciate you agreeing to see me. Do you have time to take confession, Father Galilei?"

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Thomas withdraws his hand, taking no offense and making no apology. Some Kindred liked to be comforted when coming forward with their darker selves--Baldwin, Thomas gathers, is not one of those.

He follows the Knight's eyes to the confessional, listens to his question. It appears that Baldwin is neither one to want to break the ice, get comfortable before diving into discussion about his darkness. Thomas notes these things, choosing to respond in kind--direct simplicity--rather than with his trademark ease. "Always." He starts for his half, giving Sir Baldwin a moment to ready himself if he needs it.

It helps when the menace is removed from his sight, allowing Thomas a moment to collect himself. Sir Baldwin seems unlike the man Thomas had met at Reverence, unlike the one he'd seen about at Court. Perhaps now, he is more himself? Thomas shuts his eyes, mutters a silent prayer. My God, steady my hand. Calm my heart. Help me to listen and speak according to your will. Amen.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

P
    Peter Baldwin

It took Peter Baldwin thirty seconds or so to enter the penitent's half of the booth. He took a seat and for a long moment, he said nothing, did nothing, did not even move a muscle. There was nothing but the stillness of the dead there.

Then, he spoke.

"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been seventeen years since my last confession..."

The Menace rose within him, as if to demand he stop and embrace all that he had done, and he trailed off, embattled between Man and Beast.

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Thomas sits silent as the Knight takes his time. He watches him, obscured by the mesh barrier between them. Half of his job is to be a sounding board, let people hear their own selves by speaking to him. If Sir Baldwin preferred silence, Thomas would offer it back. Sometimes sound keeps Kindred from clear thought.

When at last, his voice comes through the barrier, Thomas tries very hard not to move, not to spook the man who had traveled seventeen years to his confessional. He thinks to wait, but sees the man's conflicted, and so he offers him a word of encouragement. "Let it go, my son." Some Kindred clung so hard to their pain, afraid that if they lost it, that they'd lose themselves. Or they'd become so intertwined with their burden, bent low, they didn't think they could walk upright ever again. Baldwin was neither of those things: not a coward, not a cripple.

He doesn't press, doesn't lean forward in his seat--he just waits, happy to have reminded Sir Baldwin that his journey toward cleansing and cathartic purge is not unaccompanied. He waits, as God has for seventeen long years, for the return of his prodigal son.
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

10. Likes Matamune, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Let it go, my son.

The Knight's sunken cheek, his profile, was turned to the screen. He couldn't let it all go, no matter how much he might have wanted to. The Menace drove at him, reminding him of what they were. It wasn't enough to make him let it all go, let it all pour, the violence, the rage, the destruction.

But it was enough of a push, for a man in flannel.

"These are my sins. Recently, I killed a man in cold blood."

Wasn't it exactly that?

"He was an enemy of the Domain that harmed what was ours, but he was defeated. I slit his throat. He had enraged me, attacked us, and the Beast sang in my Blood."

He trailed off, fading to silence. Long moments passed as he wrestled against himself.

"Usually, I don't kill unless I must, but this one just..."

There was a darkness in those last words beyond the gross twisting of the Menace, a deep-seated rage beneath poised manner. The Man was imperfect. The Beast was just worse.

"I did my duty. But I am sorry that I did it in the way that I did, not because my superiors would see what I did as wrong, but because I gave in to hate. He wronged us with violence, so I ended him with it. An eye for an eye? That is the way of the Beast, and I will not become that."

Where was the humanity in that? He didn't have to kill Flannels. He just wanted to.

He drew breath.

"I am sorry for these and all the sins of my past life."

Would he feel better, after he left this place?

Thomas Galilei

PRE

Thomas listens, grieves in quiet, lets the Knight pour out his pain so they can sort through it together. He waits until he's absolutely sure Sir Baldwin is done before he even thinks of speaking. And then he lets the Knight consider in silence what he himself had said.

It is only then that Thomas speaks. "Your grief does you credit, my son. Often a man's private struggles reveal his inner character. You do not struggle to justify your wrong, neither do you need me to tell you the wrong in what you've done. A man might struggle for years over these things alone. You are fighting for your humanity, that divine spark within you--proper action for the proper cause."

Thomas pauses a moment, giving God a chance to inspire his words. "Be assured that we can do no wrong, that God cannot amend, even turn to benefit. To think we are beyond grace is a sin of pride, one that I myself am often guilty of. God shapes us for a purpose, as much by our failures as by our successes. You know now the danger, better than any who have never crossed a line. You know that with each kill, you also kill some of yourself. Now you must be different for your knowledge, or be doomed to suffer it again and again.

For your sins I prescribe you this penance: for the life that you took, of a man not deserving death, you will save the life of a man not deserving death. For the hatred you bore in your heart, you will commit an act of love for a stranger. And for seventeen years of separation from the God who loves you most, you will build a pew for this church, so that Kindred may sit upon it, seventeen years, and know the love of God."

Thomas crosses the air between them. "By the power vested in me, I absolve you of all your sins. Perform your duties for your fellows and your Prince as unto God, and know that you're forgiven." Thomas add a note of personal preference at the end. "And when you've built your pew, I hope that you will visit, and fill it on occasion."
    =====================

Scenes

=====================

13. Likes Wod.Infant, Matamune, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Sir Baldwin was as still as the grave in his booth as he listened to the priest's words. The Menace shifted within as the Man surged, a reminder of all that could be accomplished if he just remembered who he was. He wasn't just a killer. He could love others. He could build things that lasted. He could save those undeserving of death just as he could dispatch those that were.

Right?

A whole minute passed there, in perfect stillness.

Then, he nodded.

"I will, Father. Thank you."

Sir Baldwin made the sign of the cross before himself, a symbol long forgotten until now, and said, "I firmly resolve with the help of God to do penance and amend my life. Amen."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread