Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Learning New Tricks

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Asp

Asp waited for Avis and Zoey in their personal dojo in the Fourth Wall, wearing her usual workout gear: a grey tank-top, sports bra and a pair of black yoga pants. There were no shoes. Shoes were for chumps.

Her toenails were painted a light red.

They were not bejazzled.

She stretched, and waited, for today, Avis and Zodiac would learn a new trick or two. After all, it was essential that Avis's stakes went where she wanted them to go, and that Zodiac wasn't killed by the first person who grabbed her in a fight.

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

Zodiac was, as always, prompt. Not so common, however, was her attire. A loose sweatshirt was atop a comfortably fitted tee, and while they weren't the skin-tight yoga-pants that Asp seemed to favour, a pair of fairly snug sweatpants had settled on her legs, her hair pulled up into a tight bun to keep it out of the way.

There was nothing flashy about Zodiac on that day. Nothing augmented, nothing outstanding, nothing at all. Zodiac could have easily gone unnoticed on the streets, ignored in a bar, or shooed off from some of the classier restaurants she would occasionally frequent. She was entirely mundane as she slipped into the dojo, barefooted, giving a polite bow at the waist to Asp as she entered.

Was she scared? No. Not at all. Scared was much too simple as words went.

Zoey was terrified. And the fact that she was terrified was what left her in a state of utter calm. She had asked the Arrow for her assistance. For training. And she had to know it was going to be painful. She wasn't a fool. The Arrow didn't play around in their training. But the Arrow also fought 'fair' as they deemed it - in some cases, that could lead to predictability.

Asp, however, was predictable in only one way.

She would kick peoples' asses.

She would inflict pain.

Those could be predicted.

"Asp," she greeted.

3. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

The last member of the trio appeared, clad in her training garb, the habitual, cut off, patched sweatshirt smelling a bit ripe, but her pants were fresh and her shoes were spotless, as usual.

"Hey Asp. Zoey. Gimme a sec?" Avis inquired, pausing at the threshold of the dojo to kneel down and untie her shoes. Her fingers moved methodically along the shoestrings, carefully loosening them and then guiding them apart, fingertips lingering almost as though savoring the friction. Eventually, she let the strings drop and then her body folded further onto the ground so she could just as reverently pull the shoes off and then neatly set them against the wall, where they would be out of the way.

"Ok, I'm ready,"
    Avis then said, standing and pacing over to Asp and Zoey. She came to rest some feet away from the other Magi, standing so that they each occupied the point of a triangle.

"So what're we doing, sensei? Or is it sifu? Or, uh, what do they call it in stick fighting?"
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

A
    Asp

Asp nodded at each as they came in, silently waiting as they prepared themselves. Shoes came off. Shoestrings, too. The Monk remained still, her muscles controlled by The Body Temple. She simply watched.

She produced the baton on her belt, then tossed it aside.

"Just Asp is fine, or sensei, if you want," Asp said with a chuckle. A Perfected Adept she may be, but she was still herself. "Guro is teacher in Tagalog, but, uh, I do enough martial arts of various kinds that I don't feel attached to the Filipino tradition for general instruction."

She looked from one to the other, then smiled.

"All right. Go ahead and stretch out. Tell me about what unarmed experience you two have, and if you don't mind, don't wear shields. Best to feel this, because you two are going to be practicing against each other and I want you to be able to feel how you're doing. I'll start with the basics, and go from there."

A
    Asp

Bump

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"I guess it's silly to label, at some point, but if I was gonna label what you do, I'd say you do JKD. Sensei," Avis replied, a soft grin appearing on her lips. She did a quick bow and then stepped backward, extending the triangle so she'd have space to stretch without breaking it.

"For what experience I have," she said, spreading her legs and then folding down into a hang, "it's not much. In Chicago I learned how to punch without breaking my hand or wrist, how to kick without breaking toes, and how to elbow and knee. Also a bit about negative space in clenches, but not a lot. I mean, there was this one time where I had to grapple this scary blonde chick, and she ended up stabbing me with my own weapon, so that should tell you how much I actually know. Then there was this other time when I got KOed from a crotch shot in front of the entire Order," she continued, voice dryly amused as she shifted her torso over so she cold grab her left leg. Really, she was smiling, but it was hard to tell around the fall of hair coming out of her hood.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

8. Likes West liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp chuckled, running a hand through her soft, ponytailed hair. "Straight from the school of Bruce Lee, the man himself? That's high praise," she said, grinning right on back as she bowed in return. Avis' words accorded with what she'd seen so far. Basics, with room for improvement. "Well, let's see about making it where you're the one doing the crotch shots. How about you, Zoey?"

Her gaze shifted to the sourpuss.

Djinn

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

It wasn't as though she wore any shields anyway, currently, but she did begin her stretching as she allowed Avis to answer Asp's question. After a moment, she shook her head lightly. "Minimal," she responded. "As a female working in third world countries you learn basics on how to protect yourself... but even at that I'm out of practice."

Her gaze settled on the mats for a moment as her brows furrowed. "You get too comfortable with the feeling of a gun in hand - and that usually is enough to dissuade people from coming at you physically."

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"There's this awesome movie called Ronin. It's about spies, kinda, not samurai, so it's relevant. Just bear with me. The reason why I brought it up is because it shows an awesome amount of collateral damage. It takes place in cities, so every gunfight has all these innocent bystanders getting shot up," Avis said, falling backwards into a sitting position to continue her routine. She bent forward, slowly walking her hands forward to pull her body more into the stretch.

"Problem with guns," she grunted, voice strained from having her lungs compressed by the bend. "Soon as the bullet leaves you really can't control where it goes. Not without magic, I guess. Why knives are better."

12. Likes RebornSeas, Brownlee liked this post
    A
    Asp

"Except if someone grabs your wrist and you don't know how to wrassssssle, you really can't control where the knife goes, either. Which brings us back to this." She winked at her two new trainees. "If you know how to fight up close, you can control other people's knives, guns, swords, whatever. It can be a great equalizer."

Avis knew. Maybe Zoey did, too. But soon, they'd learn. Combat was all one big flow. Weapons got disarmed. Guns misfired. When it was all you had, or the only thing you could do to avoid killing someone you needed alive?

That was time for basics.

"So let's start with punching, and go from there."

She indicated a nearby hanging bag and slammed her fist into it a few times, demonstrating.

"Follow my lead, and let's get warm."

It wasn't the only bag hanging. Time to get started. They'd learn by her demo and then learn more by doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.