Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Presence: Bewitching ●●●●●
    Striking Looks: Tempting ●●●●
    Distinct Voice: Honeyed ●●●●
    Velma Star

PRE

The door to the Harpy’s office was open.

Velma had decided to make a small change in her office… she had never had an office in her life, not a proper one with a desk, books with interesting intellectual stuff that was never going to be read, with a photograph of her dog and her kids or with a huge frame of her degree in something very useful and equally interesting like the books on the shelve.

But you already knew that…

The back and left wall of her office were fully covered in a large painting. Pop Art if it was to be believed. The songstress was actually a fan of Andy Warhol. On the wall opposite to it there were dozens of vinyl covers adorning it, all of them from Jazz and Blues singers, some were alive, others long dead, some of them famous, others not so much… there was a quiet swing on one side of the office, there was no desk, only two red sofas facing one another around a small ottoman that was crowded with small wood tablets from Scrabble and a bright red lava lamp, there was only one word formed with the small wood pieces:

HARPY

13 points.

That got to be worth something!

Some Jazz seemed to be floating around the room, perhaps louder than it was to be expected for someone who was focused on her work game... the songstress was dragging at cost a new sofa for her office. It was a luxurious and provocative red loveseat. The noise could actually be heard above the music. When she finished positioning the new seat between the two sofas and around the ottoman she took a step back and remained still, quietly admiring her work.

Yes! This will do!
    Velma Star*
    STATUS CITY: Harpy ●●● | STATUS DAEVA: ● | STATUS INVICTUS: Lady ●●

2. Likes Travisc06489, Chrisie, Yumyumcrow, West liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Velma Star and Peter Baldwin had talked in the past about getting together and chatting. It had been a bit of time, the clocking ticking away as it was wont to do, and Sir Baldwin had not wanted to intrude on her when she was busy settling into her new office. His business was not urgent. Others may have been. The timing was more appropriate, now.

The Knight wore a familiar suit and tie in muted, professional colours offset by a spotted tie. Snug on his ring finger was the veridian gold sigil of the Thorned Wreath. The usual dark stubble that decorated his cheeks had even been shaved. It made the Knight look... younger.

Less terrifying.

Well. Not really. If the Mask wouldn't stop the Menace, then it sure as hell was not going to be defeated by the liberal application of Gillette.

He paused in the doorway, knocking politely, his Beast newly silent. A polite smile crossed his face, and his eyes flicked over the new decor as he waited in the threshold.

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Velma Star

PRE

Velma turned her head in the door’s direction when she heard the polite knock on the door. She picked her IPhone and lowered the volume from the speakers until the music was just peaceful background.

She smiled to Balwin taking a moment to study the Haunt.

Velma herself was using a simple but elegant black dress with dark stockings. She had left her heels somewhere around her office so that she would be able to drag her new loveseat to its intended place.

”Sir Baldwin!” Her hands opened in a welcoming gesture.

”Please be welcome! I have been waiting for your visit for a while… I’m glad you could pass by!” The songstress moved closer to the ottoman and pointed the Knight towards the loveseat inviting him to try out her new furniture…

”Please take a seat!”

“I apologize for being sooo busy today, let me just grab my shoes.”
    With elegant naked footsteps Velma traverses the room and picks up the two abandoned black Louboutins.

”So, Sir Baldwin, what brings you to my company?” By now the Succubus was returning to her sit with both her heels in hand.
    Velma Star*

P
    Peter Baldwin

The Knight stepped in at her invitation, looking around at the decor. "Glad to be here, Madame Harpy," he said honestly. Was this place without danger? No. This was as much the center of Velma Star's unfamiliar battleground as a dark alleyway was his. But ultimately, some risks needed to be taken. "I like what you've done with the place."

They were Unconquered. They'd talked. That was the first step. Coming here tonight was the next.

Sir Baldwin sunk into the loveseat. He looked poised, still, not relaxing into it entirely, but it was pretty comfortable. "Not to worry, Madame Harpy." His eyes followed her elegant paces for a moment, much like a physiotherapist would observe the movements of a patient. She was absolutely gorgeous. It was true. But something deep within him, the ability to fully appreciate that anymore, had died with him. Or perhaps it was with his fading Humanity that it had gone.

The Menace wanted vile, base things, things far crueler than a lusty Daeva might understand. The more he killed, the more it needed.

"Well, I didn't want to interrupt you while you were getting yourself squared away in your new office, but I remember us being due to talk. So, here I am." A smile crossed his face. "How have you been? Are you enjoying your new role?"

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Velma Star

PRE

“I see…” Velma says as she moves to sit into one of the sofas. She stays at the border of the sofa and inclines so that she might be able to fit in her shoes in place.

”Well, yes to both we being due to talk and to me enjoying my new role.” Her eyes were still cast downwards as she finished putting her shoes. When she was finished she moved her feet sideways to make sure everything was perfect, not minding Baldwin for a moment but then lifting her face to look to him and return back the attention he was due.

With her two grey blue eyes locked into Baldwin she adjusted herself in the sit pulling her body backwards to a more comfortable position and then she crossed her legs over one another. The tip of her black Louboutins pointing towards Baldwin.

She finally smiled as if it had all been some undue interruption.

”There were a few things that were left unsaid in the Reeve’s office, and I prefer not to leave things unsaid between people I respect or that I consider worthy of my time.” It was true, not because Baldwin was a knight but because he actually was starting to prove himself worthy of the title.

”Do you understand why I did what I did that night in Elysium?”
    Velma Star*

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin remained deathly still as she adjusted herself, no movement provoked by any of it until she spoke. There was something so inhuman about it, as though the Menace had claimed its fair share. Finally, he smiled, appreciating the compliment that was hidden in her words. "I agree," he said. "I prefer clear air." In that, the subtle compliment was returned.

At her question, his lips flattened thoughtfully, and he nodded.

"I do. Now that I have had a chance to think on it, and on Reeve Connery's words, and to think on our Covenant's business at this time... yes, I do. A Prisci being challenged in open Court is bad for business."

Velma Star had had little choice but to answer. He hadn't liked the form of her answer, but that didn't mean she was free to just let it go. Saito had baited her at the wrong time. She'd let her pride or her vanity or whatever get to her. But collectively, their pride had gotten in the way of their covenant's unity. All three of them.

He left it vague. He suspected she would understand why he didn't get into more detail. Her door was still open.

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Velma Star

PRE

Velma listened to the Haunt’s words confirming he had grasped the message she had tried to pass. Not just that but he had actually connected the dots of their main strategy for the domain… there were just a few details that Baldwin probably hadn’t been privy to that the Ravager would probably consider sharing with him once and if he managed to earn her full trust.

”I’m glad you understood the core part of the message, Sir Baldwin.” The Daeva looks over her shoulder and yes, her door needed to be closed. In fact talking covenant business in her office would probably be old news if she managed to put her plans into motion…

The Daeva moves up from her seat and calmly traverses the space separating her from the door and closes it. Once she hears it closing she smiles. Unlike the Reeve she wasn’t fond of locking her door for other less obvious reasons.

”I believe we will be more quiet now…” And with that she resumes to her seat again, slow steps, a beautiful smile and then elegantly crossing her legs over one another. She was comfortably seating again.

”Another issue that is somehow related to the previous one is actually having you finding a domain position that suits your unique skills.” Velma raises her shoulders as if she was stating the obvious. A Knight's mandate to act was actually very limited in this domain. Acquiring a domain position that enabled him to use martial prowess could prove to be useful.

”Things for you got slightly complicated as of late.” Her smile dissipates as her expression turns to neutral. She was all business now.

”The actual name of your problem is a recently returned kindred by the name of Tracy Burns.” Velma almost inhaled and sighed when she mentioned Tracy.

”She is a feisty naïve looking redheaded female Savage that has once belonged to Reeve Connery’s deputy cadre… hand picked and groomed by him if I’m not to be mistaken.” And from there she resumed silence, she wanted Baldwin to get the full picture and actually make the questions.
    Velma Star*

9. Likes Chrisie, Vassagon, West liked this post
    P
    Peter Baldwin

The Knight nodded as the door shut, remaining silent as she resettled herself and spoke. Complications. Problems. These were things that needed to be addressed. That the 'Spitfire' was going to be a problem for him was unfortunate, but not insurmountable. She was a deputy before. If she had been handpicked, it was fairly likely that she would become a deputy again.

"It stands to reason that he may select her again," he said honestly. A little smile crossed his face. She wouldn'tve said anything if she couldn't do anything about it. "And with the problem at Court, the Reeve's only introduction to me was less than ideal. I will need to do something about this, you are right."

The question he was about to ask, by definition, was luring him down a path of endebtedness to her if she were to help - and he got the distinct sense that she had the ability to. If he were Star, he would want a Knight's support - particularly since it was fairly obvious that he usually spent his time with Sage and Hazelton, and Saito wasn't exactly her biggest fan. And given the Prince's support of her? It was good for both parties.

"What are your thoughts on the subject, Madame Harpy? If you were me, how would you proceed?"

He leaned slightly forward, showing interest.

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Velma Star

PRE

At the question posed by Balwin, Velma inclined and reached for the Scrabble tiles kneeling closely to the small ottoman, her face was now lit by the red lava lamp as she searched for specific letters.

REEVE

8 points

I guess he is worth less than the Harpy… Not even Velma actually believed that. She had tested his mettle in combat and in several other situations… not only had she been unsuccessful but she had fallen victim to him before.

When she started joining tiles the songstress crossed the R from Harpy with the R from Reeve.

“You see!" She opened the palm of her hand to present her masterpiece.

”The Reeve and the Harpy actually have something in common!” She continued now seating in the floor near the small table.

”In your place I would find someone who could help you and guide you on how to fall in the Reeve’s good graces and at the same time hinder the progress of Miss Burns…” There was a light shrug… it was obvious and she knew Balwin knew who could help him. The fact he had asked revealed just that.

With their unspoken agreement set Velma continued, she was now looking at the other tiles intensely. The Ravager was solving a puzzle.

”Before being Reeve, Reeve Connery used to serve as the bodyguard for then Herald Villiers in the role of deputy under former Reeve Greyson.” The songstress still recalled the mysterious Shadow and his inscrutable behavior as well as her acknowledgement into the city. She met Martha and Dillon that day.

”You can try approaching Seneschal Villiers to help serve as security for her to earn your name… she is always in the face of danger during acknowledgements.” It would be the sort of work that Dillon could easily relate to she reasoned.

”I don’t see any of the current Regents actually needing an Hound, that can also be a venue of power that you can try to pursue… maybe I can inquire with Regent Redfill should you wish… but I think he would be inclined to select a member of the ordo as his right hand... guess who happens to be a member of the Ordo Dracul?” Let’s not even talk about Brady or Roxy.

”Again the same applies to the position of Hound for Regent Connery… you are not a Gangrel.” It actually sucked a lot for Baldwin. He should have moved faster.

”If worst comes to worst I would advise you to search for help with the Seneschal… she will certainly be keen once you have proved yourself an able body for security that you can actually become a Keeper…” Maybe that was not the option Peter was after but it was nothing to shun. The ability to carry weapons into Elysium, during court. Nothing to scoff at, and there was always recognition to be had…

He would only need to learn how to prepare cocktail parties...

There was no other option except the last one.

”There is actually another option… a position in the Domain that has been vacant since the former Priscus of my clan left the city… the Alder Duchess Twist" The respectful tone that Velma adopted was probably indication enough of the reverence she had for the woman… if Alder, Duchess Priscus and Archon weren’t indication enough of her prestige and reputation.

ARCHON

11 points

Still worth less than the Harpy…

This time the tiles the songstress crossed were the A from Harpy with the A from Archon.

"She was also an Archon, the Royal Hound.” The Harpy finally concluded, hopefully sparking something in Peter - an objective for him to pursue.

”Those are some big shoes to fill… but eventually someone will have to perform that role. This time around you would need someone who could vouch for your worth with His Grace, the Prince.” The corner of her lip actually perked up a bit. The Succubus was wondering what sort of venue Baldwin would choose to follow… was he an ambitious kindred of quality?
    Velma Star*

P
    Peter Baldwin

A

As the Harpy detailed out each position, an internal conflict fought within Sir Baldwin. A conflict of duties. An Oath that was sacrosanct above everything else.

R

The Deputies were expected to serve the Reeve faithfully, to seek out threats to the Domain and to investigate. And while he gladly did that, what would he do when a Call came when he was working for the Reeve?

He would go. He would drop what he was doing, and he would answer the Call. That was his first duty. That was what he [I'must[/I] do, from now until the end of his nights. He was Oathsworn. So it must be. When the duty of the Deputy and the duty of the Knight collided, the duty of the Knight was supreme. Could the Reeve accept that?

C

Keeper of Elysium? That was much the same. He was not a Keeper. He did not manage buildings. He could provide security, but again, at Court, if the Call came, where would he be?

H

As she detailed each out, he looked thoughtfully off at the Scrabble board. Hounds to the Regents. Yes, he could do that, so long as the Regent understood. Would they? Could a non-Invictus ever understand the depth to which he was bound?

O

Then, she spelled out his ambition one letter at a time, forming the word that spoke to him and the Menace, and a light awoke in Sir Peter Baldwin's dead eyes.

N

Eleven points, and a duty that would never conflict. By definition, any call to the Royal Archon by an Invictus Prince was also a call to the Thorned Wreath. The enemies of an Invictus Prince were the enemies of the Invictus, and he would deliver chastisement on Asa Clarke's behalf as Knight or as Archon.

The difference was, one was a Covenant profession. The other? The other was legitimate within the entire Domain.

A smile crossed his face that was twisted horrifically by the Menace.

"You are right. I should look to advance within the Domain. The work of the Archon and the work of the Knights, in an Invictus Domain, overlap nicely."

Would she help him?

"And, of all of those Domain positions you have described, it is the one I am best suited for."

He looked her in the eye.

"If that someone to vouch for me were to be you, I would be... appropriately grateful for such an act of friendship."

It went unsaid that Sir Baldwin had his friends' back, and she would be repaid in kind.

The question really was, what did she want in return?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread