Ended
Watch

Hitting the Books

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan now had some better odds of finding something at the library. She now knew or more accurately remembered how she'd studied for exam papers. The effort she'd put into a year of research previously gave her a much better understanding of how the library's various tools, especially now that she wasn't crashing computers ever five minutes. If she was thorough, she might actually find a article or even a book on the right myth. Further, she now had a name to search for: Fair Weather.

European, Chinese, Native American, every region had its own breed of giant fire-breathing flying lizard. The implication that there may be a common source for such myths was...unsettling.

Morgan was hoping that combining dragon and Fair Weather would get some better research results. And just in case, she'd seen about getting the Fae's name translated into other languages to search for those too: Spanish and Chinese. Morgan remembered something about the Chinese being part of California's history. She had several names to search for myths about. Maybe she'd get lucky. That made her chuckle.

Well, she could at least be "lucky" for part of it.

Forn Clakes

It seemed that on some days, libraries were dying a slow and painful death. With the internet such a necessity of everyday life, why would a person spend time with their noses in valuable paper books when everything could be had on a smartphone or laptop? It was simply no contest, yet for some die-hard souls, the magical world of a library was a place to behold.

Quiet, secluded, a place of peace, to escape the fast paced humdrum of the world. Books were special and needed a place to be kept in such a state.

However, money talked, forcing many libraries across the country to close. If it wasn't for the connection to the university, perhaps this library would have joined them. As it was, it was still standing. Not exactly strong but it did have its advantages. History of the city being among them.

As Morgan ( Origins ) entered the library, the interior was cool and quiet. Pockets of people were sitting at computers, or writing at tables, minding their own business. A couple of librarians, custodians of the books, were hovering at their desks, paying no attention to the Beast as she entered.

3. Likes Origins liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Clutching a notebook to her chest, Morgan looked around, trying to figure out where to go. She wasn't really sure what section to look under: myths, local history, or Native American myths. She had a name true. But that was a metaphorical needle and the library was a metaphorical field of haystacks. Finding the right one to search would be really helpful.

Lacking knowledge of the layout, that left her with two options. A systematic search of all the shelves or she could ask for help. The Beast decided to try the second one.

Walking up to one of the librarian's desks she took a few calming breaths so she could focus. It wouldn't do to stammer herself incoherent when asking for help. "Um-um-um, e-excuse me?" she winced at her lack of complete control, "I am truly-thorough-sorry, b-but may I please-please ask you for advice, please?"

This librarian was male and in his mid to late 50's, pale skin and wearing an open neck cream shirt who sat behind the desk looking down at some papers in front of him, peering through thick rimmed spectacles. From where his head was tilted, Morgan could clearly see the bald spot slowly spreading across his crown. At the stammering voice, he looked up, and his brown eyes were kind but obviously tired. "I'll certainly do my best," he smiled in reply, his voice somewhat younger than his appearance.

6. Likes Origins liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan started to shrink back but stopped herself. She smiled weakly at the librarian, worried that she was interrupting him. "Sorry to be-be trouble, b-but I c-can you please give me d-directions? I-I am l-looking for the b-books on-on local myths? Or-or maybe native American myths? P-please and very-truth apologize for-for trouble."

She really hoped she wasn't being a bother.

The stuttering girl before him caused the librarian no embarrassment or bother. When one worked in such a grand library, all sorts would wander through. "Its no trouble, young lady. Just head up the stairs, and I believe there are a few books in the seventh row that cover myths, both local and more widespread."

Can I ask what time of day Morgan is visiting please?

9. Likes Origins liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan is visiting at a bit before 11 AM. Before lunch and hopefully after the staff's morning routine.

Morgan smiled nervously and bowed her head, "Th-thank you v-very much s-sir. I-I ssshould f-find it fine. H-have a good d-day." With that, she followed the librarian's instructions, heading up the stairs and two the seventh row. The Beast began examining the titles upon the shelves, looking for books that sounded promising.

Fortunately, libraries divide their books by subject so those about the same topic tend to be clustered together. The Steepscrambler did have to stop herself a few times from climbing the shelves. Even after finding a stool the instinct to reach an objective by climbing kept coming up.

After finding a few that seemed promising, she made a note of the numbers where she found them. Just in case she needed more. Then, the raccoon grabbed a small stack of books and started reading.

Please make as many Intelligence + Occult -2 rolls as you like, with each roll representing 30 minutes of research into the subject of local and Native American myths. I won't place a target number of successes however due to the nature of the task ahead

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan spends 3 hours looking into the various books she could find upon the subject.

3 Suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [06] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 4, 6, 10 1 success
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [05] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 2, 4, 2 failure
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [04] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 3, 5, 5 failure
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [03] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 1, 8, 1 1 success
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [02] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 4, 6, 10 1 success
    2014-08-23 22:06:06 [01] Morgan Bellanar rolls 3 to Int+Occult -2 6, 2, 1 failure

ooc: Can Morgan make a final roll with the aid of the Contract Favored Fate?

Of course

14. Likes Origins liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread