Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Auspex 1 (Unflinching Eye)
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

City : 2
    Ordo: 3
    Mekhet: 1

PRE

Once the long shadows of twilight slowly gave way to the all-enveloping darkness of night, a black sedan slowly made it's way along the streets of Sacramento. The BMW seemed to move on its own accord; the young woman behind the wheel knew the route to their destination by heart, she had driven there so many times over the years. And in the back seat, a lone figure looked out through heavily tinted windows as the miles slowly slipped away under the tires of the sedan.

Samantha knew better than to interrupt her master at a time like this. She wasn't sure why they had come back to the city, or why the thin man in the back seemed so pensive since their arrival in Sacramento. All that mattered was that Max had wished it, and that was enough for the Ghoul. For his part, Max was lost in his own thoughts ever since leaving the hotel tonight; though, he wasn't alone in them...

Alright, so, one more time: Why the hell are you coming back here again?

We've been over this before...

Indulge me, please...

Sacramento represents the best chance we... I have at building something permanent. The Order had a solid foothold in the Domain, and I was a respected member of the community. Assuming nothing major has changed, I can at least use that to begin rebuilding.

All of which you threw away, I'll remind you...

Yes, I know.

To go chasing after some skirt that didn't even have the decency to tell you goodbye

Yes, Aziz; you've reminded me of this fact. Every night. For the past year...

Well here's something you might not have thought of: What if it isn't a happy reunion? What if everyone isn't overjoyed to see you?

If the current Grand Wyrm sees fit to ostracize me from the local Chapter, it wouldn't be the first time I've conducted my research on my own...

I'm not talking about the damn Dragons. I'm talking about Asa Clarke. Remember him? Remember what he does to people that piss him off? He turns them into Dust Buster stuffing, that's what!

I can only hope I've earned a little leniency from him. But no matter what happens tonight, the running stops here.

Running away from, or running after?

Both...

The pale Mekhet finished the argument with himself just in time to register a change in the motion of the car. It slowed, then came to a soft stop in front of the club that, as far as Max knew, held the offices of the Domain's officials. "We're here, Max..." Samantha called out softly over her shoulder; unable to hide the twinge of concern in her voice. The Mekhet simply nodded his head in acknowledgment. "If I'm not back by sunrise, you know what to do..." He answered, then stepped out of the car.

Despite his trepidation, Max had to admit there was a comforting familiarity in once more standing outside the Ava... Nox Populi?

The slim Mekhet couldn't help but stand there for a few moments, blinking in confusion at the transformation that had overtaken the building. Maybe Asa had remodeled? Or sold the business to someone else? Either way, at least it had a Latin name; that seemed in keeping with the Invictus philosophy. Even if the syntax was a bit errant... Taking a moment to force blood through his veins, Max reminded himself to breath as the Blush asserted itself, then made his way towards the line of club-goers eager to get into the building.

At least the Bouncer knew to let him through, that much hadn't changed; even if the Kine screamed bloody murder that a scruffy looking nobody in jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers got in before they did. Scanning the interior of the club, it was clear someone had remodeled the whole place; but at least the stairs leading down to the Kindred Only basement seemed to remain untouched. Max made his way over and down, relieved to find a notice for the upcoming Court conspicuously posted once inside and away from the eyes of Kine.

That one piece of paper held a wealth of information for Max; It seemed Sage was still around, and had added a few titles since he'd last seen her. The same for Martha; if anything it was a relief to see the Order had been in her capable hands, at least recently. And while not named specifically, the titles of the man calling the Court to order made it clear that the Princedom was one position that hadn't changed hands...

Still, as Max read the posting, an almost imperceptible unease crept into the back of his mind. It took him a moment to realize why; the silence of the space. Usually, Martha would be waiting to greet new arrivals; or appear shortly after their feet first touched the floor of the lower level. The distinct lack of straw bowlers at the moment seemed to indicate his fellow Dragon was elsewhere tonight...

Which really only left one option, hope that Asa Clarke was in for the evening. It was a long shot, but the Prince had been known to make use of his office within the Elysium. And if he did find the Ventrue, at least Max would have his answer tonight; one way or the other...

Making his way around to the back part of the Elysium that housed the offices of the Domain's officials, Max quickly found the door behind which the Prince's chambers lay. He knocked three times on the door; hard enough to get one's attention, but softly enough as to not demand it...

@West

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

No matter how things change, some things remain the same.

The door opened, and a young woman in a simple, dark dress focused on Max. Behind her, the sounds of a conversation wafted through the open door. The overlapping voices, and background noise made the voices instantly identifiable as television talking heads. Words like 'extra point', 'yard line', and 'experiment' filtered through the word salad.

Nika's eyes moved over Max's face, without a hint of recognition given his new appearance.

She resisted the urge to look down and see if she had on good shoes. A stranger, interrupting SportsCenter?

"May I... help you?"

The words were polite, but had that slightly condescending tone of the aristocratic, wholly suggesting she was instead asking if Max was lost.
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

PRE

If Max had any lingering doubts about Clarke still being Prince, they were dispelled by the young woman that answered the door. He couldn't remember the ghoul's name offhand, but the face, and more to the point her poise, were instantly recognizable. Despite giving Nika his full attention, the Mekhet couldn't help overhearing the conversation going on in the background. Either the Prince was distracting himself for a little while with one of the sports discussion programs on tv, or Asa had bought an NFL franchise.

Given the amount of capital Max had seen the Prince, and the Invictus of the city as a whole, put on display over the years, he figured either option was equally likely...

Where her head did not move, his dipped slightly in a respectful bow. Normally a Kindred wouldn't show such deference to a Ghoul; but she was his go-between with the Prince. And one could never be too polite where the Invictus were concerned.

"If his Grace is present, please inform him Maximilian Heinz humbly requests an audience. Should it please his Grace, and at his leisure, of course..." There was no hint of joviality or frivolity in Max's voice this time; just a simple request respectfully stated. His words were followed by another polite bow of the head to the woman, followed by the thin Mekhet taking a step back so Nika would not have to shut the door in his face.

4. Likes Lesingnon liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nika Crassus Delicate brows knit, and her head cocks slightly as she studies Max. There's a moment, where she considers offering him a change of clothing, or shave. But Max knew the city, and where such could be had. And so it was a choice.

"Forgive me for not recognizing you... Mr. Heinz. One moment, please."

The brows screwed together for a moment as she considered the right form of address then, smoothed out. She stepped away for a few moments, then returned and opened the door wide before stepping back.

The voices had fallen silent as the television was turned off, and Asa was already on his feet. His dress was casual -- a black vest over a merlot shirt with sleeves rolled, and jeans. He'd been upstairs, earlier. He gave Max the same curious look.

How... interesting.

"Good evening." The curious look broke into a small smile.

"You'll never believe this, but I was just thinking of you, the other night."

Should he be surprised? After all, the man was a Mekhet. Still, it was an impressive feat, to hear of Tracy Burns' return so quickly.
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

6. Likes Jag, Mykel, Forn Clakes liked this post

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

PRE

Max waited patiently for the answer to his request, stepping through the door and into the room. He was pleased to see the Prince was dressed casually, that meant it was unlikely he had interrupted any important business of the Domain.

He had intended to keep the meeting formal; the last thing Max wanted was to come off as too familiar with the Prince. There was a sizable list of former Kindred who had not learned that lesson. However, Asa's tone seemed to indicate the man was willing to forgo at least a few formalities. The two Kindred had several pleasant, some might even say friendly, conversations in the past; perhaps it would be alright to let his guard down a little...

"Good evening, your Grace." Mas offered back, with a deep bow from the waist. When he returned to a standing position, one eyebrow quirked up in mild amusement. "Is that so? Only pleasant thoughts, I hope." There might have even been a hint of a smile on the Mekhet's lips, it was hard to tell with the beard.

Max had planned to go right into formal introduction, but if Clarke wanted to keep conversation light for the moment, he had no arguments. "I see you've made a few changes upstairs. I think Shadow would have approved..."

8. Likes Benji liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

A subtle gesture was made, and the ghoul left, closing the door behind her.

"It doesn't look like the upstairs is the only subject of a few changes,"
    he answered, focusing on Max with a speculative look. It was more than just the changes in the man. The mention of Shadow was an interesting question as well, and he wouldn't put it past the Mekhet to be that subtle.

What did it mean? What had changed the man so? There was hint of a smile, and even an attempt at humor, but...

"Of course they were. You had an auspicious history here. Frankly, I was surprised to learn you had left. Have you returned, or are you just passing through?"

He'd ask the important questions, and leave the others unasked. They were important questions; much as he'd told Velma, a return was often... significant.

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

PRE

Max nodded his head slowly at the other man's words, understanding his appearance was quite different from the last time the two Kindred had spoken. "Sometimes, the exterior changes to promote a change to the interior. And sometimes, it is a reaction to a change on the inside..." No matter how familiar the two men might be with each other, Max never was the kind to open up to others. However, Clarke had proven himself a master of subtlety, and he was confident the man could read between the lines...

"Thank you, your Grace." A polite bow of the head at the small compliment to his time in the city; but when Max raised his head to once more meet the Prince's gaze, his brow was furrowed slightly. "Yes, my... sudden departure from the city. A misstep in judgement, I must admit. But one I have learned from, however painfully, and have come to accept..."

There is a slight pause as Max considers if he should go more in detail about what drove him to leave the city. If anyone could understand his motivations, it would probably be the man he now stood before. They both had been spent time in the Order, even if Max's had been considerably longer. And Clarke certainly had his fair share of dealing with the fairer sex...

"You spent time among the Ordo Dracul, your Grace. Surely you can appreciate how passionately some of us can be in the pursuit of experiences we feel might better ourselves. I am ashamed to say that my... passions overcame my better judgement, for a time. As I said, a mistake; but one that has indeed helped to facilitate a change.

As for the length of my stay in Sacramento? That is wholly in your hands, your Grace. I would like to make my return permanent; to redouble my dedication to my studies with the Order and service to the Domain. However, residency in a Domain is solely at the pleasure of its Prince..."
    The Mekhet spread his hands slightly. That was it, the best explanation he could offer as to his disappearance and return, and request to return to the city.

11. Likes Jag, Benji, Kelreth, West, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

"To answer the immediate question, of course you're welcome to stay."

Asa gestured toward the two chairs in front of his desk, and lowered himself into one. He'd gotten into the habit of standing, because of Martha, but whether or not their undead legs needed respite it still served as a gesture.

He flicked his hands out in a 'poof' gesture.

"Voila. You're Acknowledged. You may also take up Tenancy in the Communal Zone, if you don't find other arrangements."

The man had, after all, been Reeve. Asa leaned back, and crossed one leg over the other and folded his arms. It was a wholly relaxed gesture, rather than a defensive one.

"Well, as for the rest, without specifics, I can't offer much. I will say, though, speaking from personal experience and my time among the Dragons, to remember that Change isn't always borne of success or good decisions. However, if those missteps lead to wisdom or positive change, then the means are hardly worth dwelling upon. The exception, obviously, being intentional destructive catalyst,"
    Asa spoke, his lips thinning at the end. He brushed aside thoughts of Roderick, choosing to enjoy a moment of interesting discussion.

"Passion is an interesting thing, for us. A fine line."

Asa shook his head slightly, and gave the Mekhet a curious look.

"So, nothing specific brought you back?"

From what Max had said, he was almost certain of the answer.

13. Likes Jag, Yumyumcrow, Benji, Matamune liked this post

Maximilion "Max" Heinz

Maximilian "Max" Heinz
    Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation 2
    Presence 3 (Nonchalant)

PRE

Well, that was easier than he'd expected...

"Again, you have my thanks, your Grace." Max followed the Prince's lead, allowing the other man to take his seat and make himself comfortable before taking his own. As the conversation turned to discussion of philosophy, the thin Mekhet visibly relaxes, warming to the subject.

"Remember the past and learn from it, but do not commiserate it; words anyone would do well to heed." Max answers with a small nod of the head. "I certainly hope what has transpired leads to a positive Change. If nothing else it has certainly refocused my determination to my studies." There's a slight pause as he studied Asa's reaction, the slightly sour look at the end as if the Prince had suddenly discovered a lemon in him mouth. He could only assume someone had done something monumentally stupid lately within the Domain.

"Well, I do try to avoid being intentionally destructive. Though, given all I've been through since first coming to the city, I sometimes wonder if it might be unintentional. If I never see the inside of another sewer it will be too soon..." Another hint of a smile perked up one side of the Dragon's face. Enough time had passed that Max could look back on his subterranean adventures with amusement; at least he had come out of them mostly intact...

There was a slight pause as he considered Asa's next question. Clarke had a way of sneaking hidden meanings into questions... "Nothing specific, no. Only that the Order was in good standing and strong academic ability when I left; and that the city would be safe and orderly as long as you still ruled it."

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Ahhhh, flattery after Acknowledgment," Asa teased Max lightly. "I'd like to think that stable Covenants contribute greatly to the safety and order of the city."

Which was true, after a fashion. It was just dismissive of the occasional nudge he gave certain Covenants to keep them so. Some nights, he wondered if anyone would look back and seen the things he'd done. Nowhere near as flashy as Claws, but no less effective, either.

"Speaking of the city and sewers, that is the litmus test, you know. Your really aren't a card-carrying Deputy or Reeve until you've made the trip,"
    he added, laughing with genuine humor. One hand moved up, resting a finger on his temple as the laughter faded and he contemplated Max.

"I should tell you now, in case it changes things before you've settled in, that I saw Miss Burns at Court the other night. You'll forgive me if I don't have more details to share, but I was a bit... preoccupied elsewhere."

It was a shame to potentially put an end to their talk, but the man deserved to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread