His eyes swam as they tried to focus on the blurred reflection. The glass gave the indistinct image a depth that the mind could fall into. Somewhere, deep in those depths, another image. Not indistinct, and not a reflection. Not yet. Greenish gold scales, and mocking eyes. A clawed hand, reaching out.

He held up his own hand. Clawed. The thick, black ichor of dead blood was beginning to dry, turning the dull bare ivory black. He rotated his hand, moving his fingers. Of course it wasn't the first time he'd seen them. It wasn't the first time he'd killed. It was the first time he'd killed with them, though. Not in self defense. Not with a purpose defined by options.

Yes, it was good policy. Yes, it potentially staved off greater violence. But it was not the only option. It was the option... of a Prince. To violate Elysium. To grant himself the Right of Destruction. It was a solution defined by power, rather than necessity. And a Requiem had ended. An infinity of possibilities.

What had Korvin Angustri left behind? Somewhere, this night, would someone be waiting for his return? A Sire? Someone who had seen something in the man worthy of the gift of immortality? A Childe? Even Kine? Echoes of a past life?

Even Twist has spared Eric Drag the Final Death.

He had killed like a predator... but not as a predator. There were things that had to be done. Things to be protected. It had not been blind rage. Nor sadism. Just... policy.

His eyes slid away from the mirror, to the objects in front of it on the shelf. His hand moved, slowly, and a Claw gouged into a large shard of azure glass. Chips and dust splintered away as he dragged the tool of destruction across the smooth surface. It had been beautiful, and unmarred, a moment ago. A memory, of something... pure.

Now a deep scratch interrupted the smooth, pure perfection. The Claw had destroyed the purity.

A reminder.

Now I'm not looking for absolution
Forgiveness for the things I do
But before you come to any conclusions
Try walking in my shoes

- 'Walking In My Shoes', Depeche Mode