Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Place Your Bets

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

The Sewnskin Doctor

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man. You win some, lose some, all the same to me.

The notice went up around Edna's Boarding House. Not on the actual boarding house, no that would just be plain disrespectful. But close enough to the Boarding House that the Mundies wouldn't touch it for fear of that odd house just down the street and the strange scowling woman who the neighborhood hoodlums spoke of in hushed tones.

Everything you needed to know was written out all neat and tidy on a bent Bicycle playing card, eight of clubs. Neat scribble-scratch said to meet four hours after sundown about half a mile away from the Sacramento Marina, in a gutted storeroom for boat rigging or some crap like that. There was the promise of poker, refreshment, and hospitality signed with a sketch of a cat's paw in running red ink.

It said to bring something to the table, be it favors, trinkets, cash, or Fruit. Knock on the door once if you're alone, twice if with a friend. Don't knock three times. The place sounded sketchy as all get out on paper and looked even sketchier in person. But what the hell, Poker night and free booze sounded like a sweet deal and since you're here you might as well play

Grim cut and shuffled the deck across the green felt poker table. Beside him sat a cooler full of cheap beer. On a cleared rack lay a stack of Luigi's Pizza Parlor pizzas, ju warm enough to be considered fresh. A trio of incandescent light bulbs hanging beneath a slowly rotating ceiling fan kept the room lit the room in amber slices. The Darkling felt at ease with his current hide-out, comfortable enough to invite guests. He'd need to find a back up hideout now that everyone knew where he lived. But that went without saying.

Amidst his hide-out musings, a card slipped from Grim's fingers, falling somewhere beneath the table. The Darkling dropped to his hands and knees with a grumble, scuffing up his slate grey button-up, white vest and slacks. I always, always mess up on the pivot. Gotta on that before someone gets here. He rose from the floor,card in hand.

He began to pace the sparsely furnished storeroom. Bed tucked outta site, check. No crap on the floor, check. Patched up the broken window with cardboard, check. Everything's good to go.

Grim leaned against a dusty rack of discarded rope and rusted pulleys and waited for the gamblers to arrive. But a soft pat-patpat drew his attention from the door. Grim looked down to see his crooked tail slapped against the hard concrete flooring. A grimace cracked along his cheeks at the emphatic appendage. "You. Settle down." The tail went still.

For now.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Two sharp bangs sounded on the outside of the door, almost reminiscent of someone using a door knocker rather than a fist. When it opened it revealed Coco's redheaded self, dressed in a pin-striped pant suit complete with fedora, though the hat was sitting far back on her head, leaving room for her antennae to bob freely.

"Well good evening, stranger," she said, leaning on her cane, free hand perched above her hip. "I heard a fleeting whisper that mentioned an evening where I could try my chances with the delectable Lady Luck. This wouldn't happen to be the manse hosting such an affair, would it? Would be such a shame if it wasn't. Oh, but where are my manners? I'm Cosima Tascioni, at your service. Though Coco is acceptable as well. Much easier to say when you're deep in the cup and spitting foul language while losing all your money."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

3. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

There was another knock, a heavy one, singular and heavy.

The mountain eyeballed the threshold before squeezing his huge, bulky, frame through the door. It took a little time, given the Elemental's height and girth... and the battered old bag bouncing at his hip.

"So. I hear talk you're a gambling man with a taste for the strange." Green patted the peculiarly bulging bag. "Name's Green. Nice to see a new face around here."

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The jittery raccoon had watched the pretty-bug and friendly mountain enter from above the door. Clearly, this wasn't a trap or there'd have been the sound of violence by now. Or at least the thud of Green falling down, he was a big guy!

Which meant she actually did have to go through with gambling, and with her luck no less. Some people have good luck, bad luck, or no luck. Morgan felt that her luck was like an erratic chipmunk taking way too many drugs. So she was as likely to walk away with everyone's clothes as she was to leave naked.

With a sigh Morgan re-shouldered her pack, the straps squeaking against her jacket. She scrambled down the building, her claws clicking loudly upon the walls as she did so. Morgan had much less trouble then Green had getting inside.

She waved and managed to squeak out, "Hi-hi Green, Coco, a-and Grim." The Steepscrambler focused upon the toothy feline with a shudder of fear. Those teeth always reminded her of what she'd been for so long: prey. "T-t-this is the place-spot yes-yup? Fffford the rambling-no-no, cards game-thing? R-right?" Her eyes were darting around the room quickly, searching for something.

6. Likes Forn Clakes, Yumyumcrow, Cayce liked this post
    Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

A single knock, almost friendly in its sound, came next. Outside the door, Terri wore a strapless teal dress that reached her knees and a pair of delicate white pumps that matched the clutch handbag in her right hand. Her fingernails, long and well-manicured after several months of being imprisoned and left to ruin, had been painted to match her dress with tiny Aces stenciled onto her thumbnails.

The adrenaline for this adventure was filtering through her system as she waited to be allowed entry to this most mysterious evening.

Her wager for the night? Well, that would be telling. Surely, a former Dread Lady of the Leaden Mirror has plenty to offer, right?
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

A
    Ambrose

With his usual tardiness, Reef finally arrived at the door, complete in a $10 op-shop suit with a slightly-used bottle of whiskey and a pair of knockoff shades - Not that his eyes would give anything away, anywho. He'd been suspicious about the note, but then again, everything had seemed a bit suspicious of late to him. Clearly something in Brother Lucas' speech had connected with something in Reef's head, because suddenly the world was seeming a lot less safe than when he'd first hopped out the river.

I mean seriously, Dragons? Fuck me.

Still. He was prepared... Sorta.

A quick trip to the kitchen before he left had secured him the largest most brutal looking knife in the kitchen... Which wasn't really anything scary, truth be told. However, he was certain that poking it into someone was bound to hurt. He takes a final swig from the bottle, before raising the clenched hand up to the door. His other arm trails behind his back, grasping the knife wedged into the back of his jeans.

A single glassy thunk later, and the large man stepped back slightly.

Can dragons hide in flophouses?

-1 For hardened mask

The Sewnskin Doctor

The turnout was pretty good considering that the little Poker meet came from a posting by a Freehold nobody. A rather patchwork collection of Lost assembled inside the old storeroom, nattering wasps and raccoons, rumbling mountains and waves, and a Lady of Autumn whose beauty was only matched by the strong scent of apprehension left in her wake. The Darkling found himself breaking a genuine sweat as they all passed threshold. Grim leaned outside the doorway and checked left, right, and up before shutting the door behind them.

At last, Grim turned to face the others with a grin full of gnashing, cutting teeth as they made their introductions and inquiries. He leaned against the door with his arms crossed, dark maroon stains appearing where his palms rest against his sheet white arms. "We got a nice turn out tonight don'tcha think? I'm Grim, Autumn Darkling. Yes, this is the place and yes I'm gonna be running this Poker Night outta my humble little abode. Welcome to Casa del Gato everybody."

He made his way past them all to the table. "Pizza's on that table and beers down here. Cheap stuff but hey, I'm not swimming in cash. Help yourself 'cause its got to go down the shitter one way or another." A blackened worm like tongue slips from his lips down to hang between his teeth, twitching with every word. Then, Grim took his seat and began to shuffle the cards. "Once everybody's gotten introductions out of the way, we'll be playing Poker, Texas Hold'em. Whose game? Don't take too long, we're burning moonlight."

A
    Ambrose

Reef gives a faint sigh of relief as the Cat answers the door, rather than a brimstone sneezing reptilian monster of old. After squeezing his way through the door and noting Green, Morgan and Coco inside, he relaxes. Yep. Coasts clear.

Reef drops his mask, before giving a nod to the rest of the group inside. His eyes slowly watch the cards being shuffled, before he shuffles over to the table and takes a seat, silently placing the whiskey bottle on the table as if to signal his readiness. A slight feeling of guilt kicks in as he notes that Morgan's money had been wasted on booze, rather than essentials. Should I pretend I have a job now?

The elemental wasn't entirely certain on what was being gambled this evening, but he figured he had enough skills and services to offer that his lack of money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Now seated, Reef's eyes shift over to the unfamiliar redhead. The smell of baking bread felt homely, comforting in a strange way... A pang of longing pierces his brine-crusted heart. Sure, the lady wasn't his long and now lost partner, but she reminded him enough of her, and what he'd lost, for it to hurt. He silently thanked his shades for covering his eyes and hiding his expression, allowing him to remorse for a past lost in relative peace.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

Entering the, well, hideout, Terri smiled her thanks to Grim before taking a look around, glad to see both beer and pizza. Not ideal but it would do. When you've been a slave for so long, you don't knock food and liquor. She then took in the others present, recognising most from the Midsummer's Yield in varying degrees.

"Pleasure to meet you, Grim. I'm Terri and thanks for the invite," she smiled in a manner that was all friendly. She shook out her hair slightly, the black feathers streaked throughout apparent. It contrasted nicely with the dress. Moving closer to the table, she placed her clutch purse on the top before pulling out a seat and gracefully lowering herself into it. Her gaze took in her rivals in tonight's festivities.

"I've been away a while so I've not had time to gather much but as for tonight, well, I've got some talents I'd be willing to wager."
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Talents, you say?" Coco asked, a lascivious grin breaking across her features. "Is it going to be that sort of betting, this evening?" She strolled over to the refreshment table, threaded the fingers of her free hand around two beers, and then spun effortlessly on her heel so she was facing Terri again.

"Would you care for a refreshment, Terri? Or any of you other, fine, gentlebeings?" she added, turning her faceted eyes to the others in the room. "Green? Reef? Morgan? It's fabulous to see you by the way. Have you found any good restaurants since we last dined together?" The last being addressed to the Raccoon, of course. "I certainly hope so, because after this evening you'll be owing Cosima Tascioni a meal, or at least the wealth to purchase one."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread