Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
(ToB) Marked for Storage

Orpheus waited just outside the door of the Fillard Goldman Museum. The museum also happened to be the headquarters for the Mysterium in Sacramento and home of its Athenaeum.

And Athenaeum that was about to boast one more item in storage.

Autolycus sounded like he was bringing a few things, idly the Obrimos wondered what he could possibly plan on using.

In any case, Orpheus had all the time in the world.

Autolycus

Auto meets Orpheus outside the Museum, dressed in slacks and a button up shirt and carrying a duffel bag. It doesn't take more than a glance to see that Orpheus is not wearing any spells, so considering the circumstances of this meeting, Autolycus asks him about it. "Afternoon Orpheus. I'll need you to fill me in when we're secure obviously, but are you not wearing any Workings for a reason?"

Sight and Armor, potency 1/2
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-07 15:37:04 Autolycus rolls 6 to Life Armor, -2 duration factor, +2 high speech (10 Again) 1, 7, 7, 5, 9, 8 2 successes
    2014-07-07 15:36:42 Autolycus rolls 6 to Life Sight, -2 duration factor, +2 high speech (10 Again) 9, 7, 7, 7, 4, 3 1 success
    Duffel bag contains

Orpheus raise an eyebrow slightly at Auto. Sight and Shield were habitual...

Shit.

Careless. He was being careless. When they hell did he get careless? He could've sworn he'd cast... or was that yesterday?

Orpheus curses himself quietly before saying "Careless, christ I've gotten careless." A look to Auto. "Sorry, let's get inside." He holds the door open for the fellow Mystagogue. The Athenaeum was a long walk away.

Anxiety, starting to get high-strung. Lot on the mind maybe? Regardless, as the two presumably head to the aforementioned storehouse he quickly works through a few Willworkings.

Better late than never.

1 pot SV/US Active
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-09 15:02:24 Orpheus rolls 11 to Unseen Shield (-1 Mana 24hr) (10 Again) 9, 5, 2, 10, 7, 2, 6, 7, 7, 6, 6, 1 2 successes
    2014-07-09 15:01:51 Orpheus rolls 4 to Supurnal Vision (-2Adv24hr) (10 Again) 5, 7, 8, 3 1 success

Autolycus

Once the pair enter the Athenaeum proper, Auto places his duffel bag down on one of the desks and unzips it, removing the camera and audio recorder for now. "I'm going to need you to fill me in now, before we can continue."

Orpheus nods "The materials in question are a set of Tass knives filled with Abyssal resonance. They were used by a group of left-handed to aid in stealing souls from Mages. That being said, the knives react violently towards high speech in conjunction with Willworking, the reactions include deafening screams and severe seasickness. Prolonged or direct contact with the knives themselves cause them to rip or leech mana from our Patterns.

The former reactions are likely set by the Left-Handed as a trap, the latter leeching attribute simply due to the origins of the Tass's resonance.
    " Orpheus gives the briefing quickly and with energy. In a way, he was mildly proud. He also reminded himself that he had input from others as well, the Curator included.

Autolycus

Auto makes a sucking noise with his teeth, the knives sounded nasty. "Okay, I have more questions, but my initial plan is to take pictures," he gestures to the new camera and audio recorder, "and record an audio transcript of our work. Do we know if they're imbued items? Do they react to spell casting without high speech in any way? What about high speech without associated spell casting? How prolonged and how direct are we talking here?" He removes the gloves and spray canisters from the bag. "Are we talking instantaneous and skin to skin or will latex gloves protect us? Have they shown any ability to corrupt matter they are contained by that is not alive or carrying mana? What is the status of the magi who were using them?"

"The only potent magical effects I've gotten from them are those violent reactions. The reactions are different for each knife, though." Pointing out two he adds This is the one that screams, this one causes the seasickness. Haven't checked the others. If they are imbued items, they're made to help tear out souls. So, that being said, I don't think either of us really want to check if they work."

"They only react with high speech used with Willworking. Either one on its own don't provoke any effects."

"As far as contact goes, just a few moments with a glove'll cause it to start leeching mana from your pattern." A moment and the Obrimos offers "I can use some Telekinesis to keep either of us from having to touch them at all."

"No corruption of matter like that, no, and the First arrow is organizing a response in the Circle right now last I saw of them." Orpheus was planning on rejoining them after this was over.

C
    Casitive

Bump! Autolycus & Orpheus

Autolycus

My bad!

So the problem, when dealing with something this dangerous, is that there are so many different spells that will let you bypass any kind of security feature you could think up. Lock up the knives? Basic knowledge of matter laughs at the idea. There were spells that could pluck things from vaults from your sanctum, spells that let you walk in other worlds and bypass any mundane security. You could brute force your way through most security through Forces or Prime. There was just no way to guard against every possible means of theft with the resources he had available to him.

"Very well. There's a basic workshop here," He gestures to a small door that opens to a short hallway connected to a small room that could be generously called a workshop. "If you will transport them there, I will document the items before coating them in several layers of rubber sealant that will be quick dried with a spell. I hope that this will make them, if not safe to handle, less likely to catastrophically injure someone through handling. Once we do that, I will lock them in a storage chest and present it and the only keys to the Curator. If you have any further suggestions, I would be happy to hear them."

"Orpheus nodded, indicating that he had nothing more to add. Then he rolled his sleeves down and said "Mind getting the doors? I'd rather not hold these for longer than I have to."

After a moment Orpheus would pick up the box containing the five knives and quickly make his way into the workshop.

Edited for muck ups.

Closed Thread