Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Ya' Don't Have to Live like a Refugee...

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Marcus Evan

PRE

Intrigued by Harry's seeming familiarity with the 'candy spiders', Marcus nods absently at his sovereign's instructions. "Understood. I met the rest of 'Our Boys' at the Festival, but I will need to get their contact info from you." Marcus considers a moment. "I know John can fight... and Fu and Rust seem like they can handle themselves."

Marcus smiles reassuringly at Emma as he follows his king outside. Once they reach the Hummer, Marcus is taken aback by Harry's announcement. Of course... Feeling rather stupid, Marcus is momentarily chagrined by his sovereign's foresight. He regards Harry with a renewed sense of respect. The mad bastard still has a few tricks up his sleeve, that's for certain. 'Ready?' Glamour shimmers in the air around Marcus, reflecting the flames of a hearthfire on his shining metal skin. "As I'll ever be." Marcus strides back toward room seven to give the girl he had just rescued the third degree.

Beginner's Luck

"Now hold on," Harry stops Marcus before they go rushing back in the room. "I don't mean you have to waterboard the poor, lost waif. That's what the Liar's Wort is for. You just gotta ask the right questions, and if she goes blue, then you ask them harder. I'm just going to listen in. Don't think of it as an evaluation at all." His short nub of a beak cracks a crooked smile as his mad eyes bounce around gleefully. Of course, it's an evaluation.

He opens the door and walks to the bathroom door and stands in front of it. You can hear the shower still running and Emma's crying through the flimsy door. Harry puts his head next to the door and says, "Emma? I'm gonna put these clothes down right outside the door, alright? You come out when you're ready." He takes a seat and smiles at Marcus.

After a good ten minutes, the shower, and the tears, finally stop. Another minute or two go by before the door cracks and a thin, greasy arm reaches out and snatches the backpack on the floor. Brushing, gargling can be heard for what seems like ages. Harry looks at Marcus and cracks, "Women. Next time I'll remember to bring cards."

Finally, Emma steps out, wearing an oversized tee shirt with a kitty cat on it, a pair of loose jeans that only manage to stay on with the assistance of the thick, green belt, and white sneakers. Her long dark hair is still wet, and probably will be forever. Her cheeks are puffy from all the crying. "I'm really hungry," she says quietly and takes a seat on the bed, not meeting anyone's eye, and not changing colors, either. Harry looks at his courtier and shakes his head 'no'. It's Question Time first.

Marcus Evan

PRE

"We'll get something to eat soon, Emma." Marcus tries to ignore Harry's critical gaze as he concentrates on questioning the girl. "We just need to be certain that you understand what has happened to you. You see, each of us was stolen away by an incredibly powerful creature from another world. I don't mean like alien abductions by little green men, I mean like from the old fairy tales. They are like monsters of myth and legend. They don't care about us at all. These creatures, these Others, stole us from our lives and changed us for reasons we can never truly understand. Some of our kind refer to us as Changelings, or Lost, but we aren't truly lost. We are the ones that found our way home again. We escaped from our Keepers and fought our way back through the Thorns... and we will never go back there. They are always trying to recapture us, and we must help each other to make sure that never happens. You don't want to go back to your Keeper do you?" Marcus waits for her to answer before continuing. "And you would never betray one of us to Them, would you?" Marcus watches Emma for any Smurf-like changes to the girls skin.

Gentry are Scary

Emma just looks sad when Marcus says there won't be any food yet. She pulls her knees up close to her chin, cradling herself as she listens to everything Marcus says about what's happened to her. But he gets this look in his eye that frightens her, and she starts to tremble slightly. She looks to Harry, but finds no haven there. "N-no," she answers, "I d-don't want to live in a c-c-can again. They took mmmy..." She looks up at the ceiling and inhales deeply to stop herself from tearing up again. "I wouldn't ever help Them, since They..." She sniffs and stares at the stucco. "They took my oil," she says quietly. Her skin never changes color.

Marcus Evan

PRE

"That's right, Emma. We would never help Them nor want to go back. That's why we must try to help each other. The more you can tell us about what you remember the more we can help you." Marcus spares a quick glance at Harry before continuing. "So, what do you mean They took your oil...?"

Emma looks at her rescuer and screams violently, her voice being choked by her own throat, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, MARCUS! BUT THEY TOOK IT AND THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE! THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN MY OIL!!!" She puts her head down into her knees and breaks down into tears again.

Harry says, "That's ok, Emma, we don't need to know about that." He looks at Marcus, his boggling eyes inscrutable.

Marcus Evan

PRE

Marcus is momentarily stunned by the girl's outburt. Watching her sob, he remembers that not so distant time when he was scared, hurt, confused, and most of all... alone. Placing his smooth, metal hand on Emma's shoulder, he tries his best to comfort her. "Emma, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

Glancing at Harry, Marcus wrestles with his desire to help this poor girl versus his need to prove that she is indeed whom she appears. Just be honest and direct. Nodding his head, Marcus lets out a long, controlled breath before he turns his full attention back to the girl. "Emma, there are a lot of strange things in the world. Some of them are beautiful, and some of them are dangerous... and some are both. People like us need to be able to trust each other, or we really are Lost. I don't mean to frighten you, or upset you, I just want to know that I... that we can trust you. I know you are tired and hungry, and I promise we can get some food right after you answer a few more questions. Alright? You just have to answer 'Yes' or 'No' and I will believe you. First, are you willing to help those that have returned as you have, to keep us all safe from the Others? Second, have you told us the whole truth, without attempting to conceal anything? Finally, is pizza alright, or would you rather have something else?" His face broadens with a smile during the last question.

Comfort Face

She looks into Marcus' eyes. "Yes, I'll help and yes, I'm telling the truth." She sniffs and smiles weakly. "Pizza sounds good."

Harry looks at Marcus for a moment, then back to the girl. "Emma, just a few more questions, alright? Yes or no is fine. Have you ever helped the Others capture, harm, find, or kill any other Changeling or mortal human?"

Emma looks crestfallen. "No, I said no!" Still greasy, but no blue.

"No, you didn't, actually," Harry says, looking at Marcus...or the ceiling, or the open phone book on the desk, or... "That wasn't one of the questions asked. And the right words, child, are very, very important." He looks back at Emma, or the bed, or..."Have you ever worked with any entity whatsoever, or do you have intention to work with any entity whatsoever, to capture, harm, or kill any Changeling or mortal human?"

It takes her a minute to digest everything Harry just said, then she turns those doe eyes on the hairy turkey. "N-no." Her skin never changes. Harry nods. "Alright, then, I think that covers it. Let's get you two some food."

He picks up the phone book and calls for delivery. After Emma's eaten, Harry tells them, "Emma, you'll stay with me for the next few days while you get yourself together and decide what you want to do. Marcus, get back to me with your plans and team for the recon mission." The Sovereign rises and aims his head toward the girl. "Ready?"

"Bye, Marcus,"
    Emma says shyly. "I'll see you again, right?"

Marcus Evan

PRE

Marcus nods at his sovereign as he rises to leave. "Yes, sir. I just need the contact info for the rest of the boys before you leave." Smiling at the greasy little girl, Marcus puts a hand on her shoulder. "I'll be seeing you. You stay strong, Emma. Remember, you're not alone in this." After he gets the phone numbers of his fellow Summer Courtiers from Harry, Marcus gets in his Jeep and heads home for some well-deserved rest.

End Scene

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread