Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 19
DISPLAYED
Waiting at the Boarding House (Attn: Mr. Liebowitz(maybe)/Open)

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Betony Rue wasn't fond of giving long explanations. She wished Derek was here so she could break his arm and make him do it. If it would make Mr. Liebowitz reconsider though she was willing to give him the information.
    "After I arrived here several months ago and became settled, I began to look into the estring of amber alerts and child disappearances of Marcus Hallano, John Pendergast, Alicia Crandall, Samuel Kincaid, and Alexander Reed," Of those, only two had survived.
    "I asked for information on the freehold bulletin board. No one came forward with information, so I continued my investigation. I was unable to find anything useful looking into the vanishment of Marcus Hallano at his school. So I again posted a need for assistance. Kevin Sydney and Al-Adin came to help. We visited the Pendergast child's house but the mother turned us away," Had delayed them and her child had suffered for it.
    "We met Derek Noble going to the Crandall's residence and he offered his assistance as well. The family was not home, so Al-Adin obtained entrance but found nothing incriminating. He later spoke with some children on the street. They seemed to know about the disappearances and what was causing them. They told him to check the mirrors. He remember there being a mirror in the Crandall girl's room.
    "At that point Mr. Noble was able to get Thomas Koskov to join our efforts. Since we were unlikely to gain entrance to any of the childrens' houses unnoticed we got Ranger Arch to take us into the Hedge. Kevin Sydney never showed up and I have not seen him since,"
    undoubtedly suffering from a curse or dead.
    "Using a place called the Hall of Mirrors we entered one of the children's bedrooms. Going through the mirror again we appeared in a Hedge field. From one of the Paths leading away we could smell fear. Along that path was a child's toy, belonging to the Crandall child. A sock monkey, Jasper, missing an eye. It was aware, mobile and capable of speech, though I am unsure whether it had been infected by the Wyrd just recently. It had memories from before the Crandall girl getting taken. We took it with us. We followed the path further into a maze. Within were flowers that gave a soporific smell. Al-Adin succumbed but we pressed forward and he recovered after we were out of the vicinity of the flowers. After a time we came to a clearing. At it's center was an island surrounded by a moat of sludge. On the island large false flowers were planted on mounds as well as violets and an outhouse structure was at its center. We crossed the moat using a raft that was already present. The smell of fear was everywhere, as well as panic. I searched out the the scent and found it came from two mounds."
    "We dug them up and found coffins containing two children as well as what could have been the decayed petals of the scented roses. The other mounds.. the children had died in them,"
    She had been too late. Did she care?
    "I cared for both survivors as best I could there and then asked some further questions of the sock monkey and sewed back on its eye which the Crandall girl had been holding. It spoke of the street children threatening the Crandall child and scaring her the day before she was taken. He described the Bagman, a tall skeletal man with a gunny sack. The sock monkey had fallen out of the bag while the Crandall child kept ahold of his missing button eye. I recognized the description as the Bagman.
    "Since the children required more care, we decided I would watch over them and that we should leave. The outhouse contained mirrors to travel through. We sent the coffins containing the dead children through a mirror to the bus station. We have yet to come to a decision on how to inform the police of their identities. We went ourselves to Funderland."
    "Leaving the Hedge we found we had been gone about two days. We took both children here where I've been healing them. The boy was catatonic, so I called Simon Oita to see if he could gain acess to his dreams. Mr. Oita had trouble. He was able to observe a little. He spoke of a voice tellin Samuel Kincaid to give it a name. The boy refused. I could only conclude he was dreaming of his captor. Mr. Oita said he was unable to offer further assistance in helping with the boys condition.
    I however, have been able to relieve it using my arts, though he still risks regressing. Currently he is mute."
    "The Crandall child was able to give more information. She elaborated on the the street children's threats. They had told her that if she did not invite a Tansy girl to her birthday party bad things would happen to her. They caused her harm, making her injur her knee and hand. The Crandall girl claims that she had already invited the Tansy girl and that when she did so again the Tansy child called her a liar and would not accept. Skin and Bones took her that night."
    "Mr. Noble, Mr. Koskov and possibly Al-Adin are going to be looking into both the street children and the Tansy girl. I have expressed concern to them that she might not be human."

HAL's analog eyes loop clockwise and he sparks merrily as he (otherwise) quietly takes in the information supplied by the Ogre. When she finishes, his eyes stop, then suddenly reverse for a few, slow revolutions, before coming to a stop. "Thank you, Betony Rue. First, let me compliment your fine work and commitment to this cause. I am impressed." His calm, steady, tone fills the room, and if she doesn't look at his face as he speaks, she could swear it is the room talking, and not the Season's Sovereign. "I have processed your data and reviewed the results:

"Sending a large group of Lost into the Hedge to provoke a violent confrontation with a creature who's full capabilities are unknown is foolish, and could possibly attract other denizens to the battle, and, of course, the Hedge itself could warp itself to disadvantage our hunters. It is possible that this number of our kind within the Hedge at once could attract the attention of the Others. We will not designate 'Skin and Bones' as a target for the Ash Run.

"It is unfortunate that Simon was not able to gather more information from the boy, as it seems he spoke with the creature, an experience not shared by the Crandall girl. You say he is mute. QUERY: is he capable of communication? I want to know more about his encounter. Also, you must interview the Tansy girl, determine her true nature, as well as if, and how, she is summoning 'Skin and Bones.' Perhaps it can be trapped.

"I expect the police will be able to determine the child's identities without your assistance, and their parents will be able to grieve them, thanks to you and your associates.

QUERY: What are your plans for returning the surviving children to their parents? SECOND QUERY: What is the current disposition of 'Jasper'?"

Betony Rue hissed slightly as she was again denied. "The Kincaid boy knows rudimentary sign. I cannot speak directly for Jasper's state of mind but I feel it has strong loyalties to the Crandall girl. It is currently inanimate but may have the capability to travel in dreams and likely still has consciousness. I have not yet asked it's assistance with the Kincaid child. We have not fully discussed how to return the children but we intend to do so as soon as their safety from the Bagman can be ensured." Her voice was icy and blunt. There was a silence after she spoke and a sense of menacing urgency and the smell of herbs filled the landing as she let Mr. Liebowitz process the information.
    "The Bagman captured four children, two died and the others required serious aid. You have said twice you will not have the thing hunted, and advised courses of action which I have already said would be undertaken. I want to know if you plan on offering assistance or if you simply want more data." The tone of her voice said she didn't care either way but maybe that was misleading.

HAL's sparks quicken in time by barely a nanosecond as he listens carefully to the Ogre's response to his queries and the undercurrents of meaning within her tone and body language, especially when she questions his own involvement.

"Betony Rue, you have not yet asked me for any kind of assistance besides designating Skin and Bones as the target of the Ash Run, which I have denied. The reason for this, if I may," and he may, indeed, and will regardless of the permissions set, "is that you have not yet acquired enough data to know what you should ask of me." His analog eyes are utterly inscrutable.

His tone is perfectly friendly and unknowable as he replies, "No, Betony Rue Jasons." He pauses, and whether it is for dramatic effect, or because of a slight glitch in his electric brain is an enigma. "I do not plan on offering my assistance given current data and prognostications, as I believe this situation can be resolved by the new Witch of the Bitter Winds." Another pause/glitch, this time accompanied with a flashing smile composed only of red lines.

"If you'll accept the position, of course."

"I do not need the consolation of a position, Mr. Liebowitz," she stated.
    She did not return the smile or in fact show any emotion but a slight bitterness. Had the offer caught her off guard? It was impossible to tell.

HAL's smile remains, and his voice is perfectly, utterly calm. "It is no consolation. It is an honor bestowed upon a courtier of the Leaden Mirror who has committed herself to its ideals- the search for occult knowledge, the mastery and understanding of fear." The smile straightens to communicate a serious attitude and he speaks quieter, which makes the leaf-rustling sound a little easier to hear. "You are getting close to these children in your care, isn't that true, Betony Rue Jasons? It terrifies you, yet you do it because it must be done, and in so doing, you gain control of your fear, and thus, yourself. There is a future in our Court for those willing to brave their own souls. Yours is now."

Betony Rue didn't say anything for a few seconds, her emotions unreadable.
    When she finally did speak it with the same harsh seriousness she always did.
    "I will accept the position," was all she said on that subject.
    "If there is nothing else, I responsibilities to attend to."
    She waited for neither a reply or response on his part, descending the stairs instead, clearly expecting him to follow. She didn't stop until the front lobby area and turned back to the darkling.
    "Thank you for your time, Mr. Liebowitz."
    She held out a barbed hand.

An errant spark leaps majestically as the Jasons woman accepts and he smiles widely, using two lines instead of just one. "Most Excellent. I will instruct my Page to proclaim your appointment to the Freehold at once. I do not intend to keep you from your duties a moment longer." He lets her lead the way down, and though he gives her a head start of several steps, he arrives behind her a split-second after her own feet touch the floor. He shakes her barbed hand solidly, with a single pump, and Betony Rue can feel the slight hairs on her arms and back of her neck stand on end as he does so. "I will see myself out. Take care." He opens the door and strides toward his car without looking back.

Betony Rue closed the door behind him. She then walked slowly, steadily and silently to the kitchen. The cupboards were mostly bare. Only the blandest of food remained in the main dining area, all the rest was gone or in the rooms of residents, unwilling to share.
    She took down some oatmeal and started some water on the stove. It was boiling before she was able to stop her hands from shaking. It had soaked into the cereal before she could unclench them from her arms. And she had put the oats into bowls with milk before she allowed herself to go back upstairs again. Before she could quiet the Hag's demands in her mind not to throttle the Crandall girl and Kincaid boy. Before trusted herself not to kill them because of what Mr. Liebowitz had said about her caring for them.
    If it were true.
    Which it wasn't.

End Scene

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread