Ended
Watch

(VT) Companions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

Continued from the Band thread for anyone wishing to join Zoey.

Her world, for a time, was quiet.

There was the soft bubbling noise of air being pulled through water in the hookah, before she exhaled and leaned back into the couch that doubled as her bed. Her eyes were closed. Her chest hurt. She’d pack… once she’d finished this. There was no reason to let the shisha go to waste.

She dealt with people because she knew she had to, not out of any real desire to. It wasn’t that she wanted to avoid people, though, either, it was simply easier this way. She wasn’t very good with people. She studied dead civilizations for a reason – dead civilizations didn’t argue back about stupid stuff when you’d finally gotten close to them.

Maybe that was just what she got for getting close to them. She didn’t even manage to partake in the celebratory cake herself. She didn’t feel much like celebrating, anymore. Quite in fact, she felt quite as though the little Arrow had threatened her – which, to be fair, was something to take seriously given the girl’s work at the Field Day. Threatened her for what, anyway? Disagreeing with her? Stating the truth? It did sound like just the sort of idea that Asp and Star would concoct. The sort of idea that people who liked people would concoct.

A long inhalation led to the slow exhalation of a stream of raspberry scented smoke as she tried to wrap her head around what the best course of action was. If she wasn’t welcome here, then maybe leaving really was the best option. If they were looking for sugar-coating and niceties, they should’ve recruited some Ladder to talk pretty to them. People who liked to play pretend so they could make friends.

It wasn’t worth having friends if they couldn’t accept her as she was. Those weren’t friends. Those were fakes. She didn’t need any of those in her life – she didn’t have the time or patience for them. So there it was. She wasn’t welcome. They didn’t want her honesty. They wanted petty niceties and condolences. They could call a hotline if they wanted that. They could do a lot of other things if they wanted that. She’d been of the impression that they’d kept her around expecting her blunt honesty, and the notion that she wouldn’t pull punches.

She didn’t do it for her own sake. She wouldn’t waste her breath on it if it was meant for her.

When her cushion seemed to move a little, she was ready to ignore it – but what she couldn’t ignore was the sudden presence of a creature on her chest. Her eyes opened to see big yellow eyes staring at her, a nose quite suddenly in her face, sniffing as whiskers tickled her skin. And then the kneading. And the purring.

A cat. How had a cat gotten into her room? How had a cat gotten in here at all? She set aside the pipe, and the disgruntled expression the cat gave her as she moved warned her not to do it again, and despite herself she couldn’t help but chuckle. “Alright, kitty, alright.”

As the kneading continued, she slowly reached to pet the invasive creature, a wry expression settling on her face as paws pressed at her chest. “You know, I generally like to know names before I let people go about groping my chest…” The cat paid her comment no mind. “I guess you’re not a person so it doesn’t matter, huh?” she inquired, scratching at the intruder’s ear and feeling the furball lean into her fingers pretty hard.

After a moment, Zoey’s hand moved away and the creature seemed to lurch a little, losing its balance before giving her another disgruntled look. There was the warning of a claw going through her shirt that she probably ought not do that again. She smiled a little bit as her hands both moved to pet the creature, chuckling a little to herself.

“… hi kitty,” she finally sighed. “Why aren’t people as easy to deal with as you? All you want is a little love and attention. You don’t hate people for teaching you how to use a litterbox, do you? You just learn. You get in trouble, and you learn. And then you get love.”

Her eyes closed again as she leaned her head against a cushion beside her, sighing deeply, and the kitten mewed in response to her deflation rather pointedly, before curling up on her chest, the purring resonating in her chest in a soothing manner. Her fingers continued to work through the animal’s fur for a few moments before she simply wrapped her arms around the kitten as though it was a stuffed bear, taking some solace from its presence.

No matter what she said or to whom, she hated being alone. She’d always hated being alone. But being alone was so much easier than being rejected – it hurt less. At least if she chose to be alone it was a choice. Her own choice. She glanced to the kitten again as she moved to pet it again, sighing softly to herself. “I’m sure you’re being missed right now,” Zoey murmured to the cat, wondering again at where it had come from.

The cat hardly seemed to mind either way, its face burying itself in against her chest as whiskers tickled her neck lightly. As her fingers moved over the fur more pointedly, she heard a little jingle, and sought through fur to find the collar that had made the noise. And there it was…

“Felix, huh?” she inquired, raising a brow at the purring ball of fur. “You would be a Felix, wouldn’t you?” she laughed softly, especially so as a rough tongue found a spot on her collarbone that apparently needed cleaning.

A leg stretched out, and the cat effectively took her torso over, shifting and burying its face as though ready to sleep. Zoey could only shake her head. “You can’t stay there, fuzzball,” she informed the creature whose ears simply twitched in response. “I mean it.” She didn’t make any effort to move the cat, however, and the cat seemed perfectly comfortable.

Checking the collar further for some form of address or return to marking, Zoey tilted her head at the familiarity of the number written on the back of the tag. Why did she know it? Flipping her phone on, she started to dial the number, before staring blankly at the name attached to the number in her phonebook.

That just figured.

Of course little miss perfect would have an adorable little kitten, too, wouldn’t she? As she started to give the cat a dark look, the critter yawned widely, and Zoey sighed with a resigned chuckle. A text went to the cat’s owner before the brunette dropped her phone to the side again and busied her hands in the cat’s fur, looking entirely too endeared to care.

Maybe a pet was what she needed. A familiar, maybe. Something that could keep her company… animals had a good sense of peoples’ emotions, and of the nature of people in general. If she was really such a horrible person as people seemed to think, the cat wouldn’t have made itself so comfortable where it was, would it?

The cat knew. The cat didn’t expect anything of her other than for her to just be herself. The cat didn’t care about manners, propriety, good behaviour, who said what… the cat cared about some affection, some scratches, some pets and some food. On occasion, maybe some catnip, too. “You’d like catnip, wouldn’t you?” she asked quietly of the furball, before pressing a light kiss to its head. “Come on, now, your momma probably isn’t going to much appreciate finding you like this, you little player, you…”

But she just didn’t have the heart to move him. He wasn’t moving. He was purring. His paw was twitching. He seemed so very comfortable. And she couldn’t deny being comfortable herself.

Animal companionship was so much easier to deal with than human companionship. “Fine. You can stay there until she comes to get you. But if you get in heck, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

2. Likes Cayce, RebornSeas liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp frowned as she picked up her phone and read the text message from Mandy. So that's where her cat had gone. She'd been lying on her bed, curious about where the hell Felix had gotten to. She needed a cuddle. Apparently, the cat had used the opening and closing of doors to get around. Or maybe he was a Mission: Impossible kitty?

Probably not. Felix was just quick like that. Manimus couldn'tve caught him if he tried.

With a sigh, the Obrimos made her way back downstairs to the main level. She'd been invited by Mandy, so she headed on in. She wasn't excited about talking to Mandy after that tantrum, but she went in regardless, courageous as any Arrow out to be...

Huh.

...and found the Guardian lying on her bed with Felix totally all over her. "Oh, you huge suck," she said with a little laugh. It was hard to be mad when Felix was being Felix. "Wow. He totally digs you." She looked up at Mandy, then back down at the cat. "Are you bothering her, Felix? Are you?"

She totally had her kitty voice on.

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

"I don't think he'd care one way or another if he was," she responded, scratching the kitten behind the ears before looking a little guilty and trying to shoo the fluffy creature. "Go on now, you, momma came to get you..." There was nothing forceful about the way the woman interacted with the cat, but her guilty look turned on Asp. "... I just didn't have the heart to disturb him. Or the guts when he was kneading so close to my neck," she added with a small smile, "figured if he took after his momma at all, I'd bleed out before I knew what had happened."

... and her hands moved back to petting the furry thing. "I don't know how he got in here. I didn't even know you had a cat. But he's beautiful," Zoey smiled a little bit, "and such a sweetheart. Yes you are," kitten voice? Oh yeah. She had one, too, "yes you are, uh huh... such a nice little fuzzbutt."

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Asp

"He's more of a stealth killer, really." Asp chuckled, scooping the kitty up in her arms like a baby and rocking it. "Oh, he's just a fuzzy little death machine. Aren't you? Yes, you are. You're a little Arrow in training." Her offhand went in and mussed up the tummy fur. Oh, yes, the tummy fur...

Felix clawed her hand a little, just to let her know who was boss. Arrow in training. No joke.

In reply, she offered the black kitten back to Zoey for more cuddles. "Yup. I've had him for about three months or so? He's getting the real moving-around-Sacramento experience. And apparently, he's fast as hell. I didn't leave the door open for but a moment to go through it."

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

"A claw across the throat while you think you're safe is totally stealth," Zoey responded as she adjusted in her spot to sit up, before taking the kitten back with a little surprise. "... did you want to sit?" she inquired awkwardly after a moment, gesturing to the couch, before looking to the kitten. "... you've seen more of this city than I have, haven't you, you little sneak?"

A smile resettled on her lips as the kitten made itself comfortable, leaving her fingers to slowly comb through his fur, the expression on her face clearly one of relaxation and peace. There was something about cats that was so... it was hard to explain. "You'd think that for such independent creatures, cats wouldn't much like me," she mused, "but cats and I get each other. Dogs, on the other hand?" she chuckled weakly, before simply trailing off and continuing to stroke the soft fur of the kitten.

A
    Asp

"Not to be fucked with, for sure." The Obrimos took a seat on the couch as it was offered. "Yeah, man. I'm so sleepy. Too much butter chicken." And she wasn't gonna Life it away. Nope. Food babies were to be properly nurtured sometimes. For his part, Felix just sort of rolled around in Zoey's grasp, his little paw gently touching her arm before it got comfortable for combing of the fur.

"Like begets like, I guess. You never struck me as one who lacked independence," Asp said, giving a little nod to Felix. "Maybe the cat found himself a kindred soul? Pretty sure sneaking into your room was his version of spelunking some dig in Peru."

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

She looked to Asp for a moment, before returning her gaze to the cat with an absent smile. "Maybe," Zoey responded quietly, petting the fur and finding it altogether soothing.

For a moment, she didn't know what to say, but after thinking on it a little it came to her. "Sometimes cats don't really realize how much pain they cause when they claw or bite," she mused, "they don't realize at times that what they're doing is the wrong thing." A little belly-scratch for the kitten was in order, as she looked to Asp quietly.

"Sometimes I'm the same way," Zoey finally stated, quietly. "Sometimes I swat in warning or speak a certain way... Asp, it's because I worry about you. All of you. And that scares the shit outta me," she added, pointedly. "I play rough because you're tough enough to handle it, and because I can only hope that you'd rather hear me say what I mean than dance around the point. And... because I'm not used to being around a lot of people.

"I'm not good with people. I never have been. All the Mind magic in the world can't change that I believe in being open and honest with people I care about. I'll sugarcoat and politic in the consilium if I must, because I am a representative of this cabal - and a representative for you guys - but I don't really care about their opinions, and it's their own jobs to take care of each other. But you... you, Star and Avis... you're my responsibility. You're mine to take care of. We're all each other's to take care of,"
    she added.

"And that... is something I take pretty seriously." She was rambling a little, but a part of her felt safe. She was in her room. She had a kitten in her lap. Asp seemed... calmer.

"Also? Spelunking? It hurts. I was sore for weeks the first couple of times I did that." So that if she didn't want to talk about the rest... there was a diversion.

10. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Asp

Felix purred.

Asp's composure had certainly resumed. She remained quiet, lounging on the sofa as Mandy explained herself. Part of what the Guardian said? Asp wanted to say 'no shit, Sherlock' to. But the rest of it? That admission, that begrudging acceptance of responsibility for the other Awakened in the Cabal and... that vulnerability. And that tinged all of it. Shifted it all. She found herself in a place of understanding.

The bitch? Was a show. It was armor, just as tough and resilient as the augmentations Asp wore to protect herself. She knew a thing or two about clinging to armor. Arrow Field Day, up in that ring against Avis?

That was the longest minute of her recent life.

At the end of it all, Asp pursed her lips thoughtfully.

"You know what? Fair enough." She nodded, peeking down at the cat for a moment, then back up at Mandy. "I, uh, have a bit of a thing. Got upset about the Ixidor remark. Like the entirety of my point, whatever it was, boiled down to that." She held up her hands for a moment, as if to show there was more. "Now, I get that wasn't what you were doing. Just, in the moment, it hit me the wrong way. That's why I got upset. But I get it, now - you weren't trying to hurt me. So next time, I'll be more understanding and not fly off the handle." There it was. It was honourable to admit the wrongs one had did.

She looked at the cat again. "That cat could've ended World War II." She chuckled. "We want to take care of you too, you know? I mean, I'd even share my Felix with you, and I don't share my Felix with anybody." She adjusted, leaning forward, and her face showed a bit of wonder. "This thing we've started here... like, jeez. We all just sort of came together, boom, and here we are. Caring. Totally not a faux-bal." She grinned, throwing her own diversion out there.

"The four of us are a huge chick flick."

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

Zoey stayed quiet for a bit as she pet the kitten, chewing her lip a little before sighing softly. "I'm sorry," she responded. "I'll try to be more sensitive about it, but the world isn't always sparkly and shiny and manners, and I sure as hell am not," she added. "So I tend to avoid it. Out of respect for all of you. I don't want to waste any of your time by beating around the bush - your time is valuable."

Another sigh left her, before she shook her head a bit, scratching Felix's belly. "If you guys want to have a party, have a party. I'll set up whatever protections I can, but... go be kids for a couple of hours," she finally stated quietly. "That's what my concern was about the party. You're all young, you deserve to do as kids do and indulge in that a bit. I'm the old fogie, gotta play mom and be responsible, here. I stressed myself out because I made an assumption - the assumption that you guys did intend to just be kids and have fun. That meant I'd be the one supervising and cleaning up the mess, which would have been fine if I hadn't felt as though I'd been sorta... voluntold to do it."

Which hadn't been the case, really, but... given how changing the lights had gone, she'd started simply taking on a lot of cleaning things around the place herself. It was only going to last so long - she had a job interview to attend to in short order, after all - but everyone was still working on settling in.

The smile that settled on her features was one of understanding as she looked to Asp. "I stopped thinking of us as a 'faux'bal a while ago. Truthfully, I've been thinking of you all as my derps for a while, too," she added with a wry grin of her own, "mostly because even when you do crazy things, I can't stay mad at you. It's like having little siblings again..." her tone quieted a little before she shrugged.

"Or maybe it's just the pair of us being sentimental or something."

A
    Asp

Asp waved her hand in a 'no worries' kind of way. "If a party did happen here, I'm pretty sure we'd all be on duty. I know I'd be on and armed for sure. I always am," she said with a chuckle. "Even when hammered, I'm on duty, you know? I'm never more than a few seconds from ready." The Adamantine Arrow never stopped being on.

"Still. If we were married to the idea of having a party, we could just as easily rent a hall or something. Doesn't have to be here, especially if everyone isn't good to go for it - and Avis and you weren't 100% on it. That's more than enough against to say maybe we should do it somewhere else if it's gonna be a thing. You weren't wrong about wanting your privacy respected."

At the whole 'derps' thing, she laughed. "Your derps? That's outstanding. Can Felix be a derp, too?" She sold it with her eyes. Super selling. There was a nod at the cat and everything. "He doesn't often herp, but when he herps..."

"And by the way? You're not that old. I see no wrinkles yet."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread