Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Patrol Planning

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    M

With Sir Baldwin ( Cross ) already contacted, there wasn't much else for Roderick to do but to try and arrive at the Nox Populi before the Knight. A taxi with a very strong incentive to get to his destination as fast as possible made that so. Once he had arrived, he ensured that one of the meeting rooms was clear for use and then moved to stand at the foot of the stairs at attention. He kept his attire more practical than his usual form when in the Court area. A simple button up shirt and blue jeans with black boots.

So he would remain standing there, awaiting for the arrival of Sir Baldwin.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Sir Baldwin arrived promptly, wearing his commonly worn black suit with a dark green dress shirt and matching cufflinks. The top button was open tonight, although usually, he would wear an appropriately accessorized green tie. This was the Elysium. Wearing his Clan's colours was entirely appropriate here.

He didn't anticipate being long, but he definitely needed to speak to Roderick Pearson about one thing.

"Good evening, Mr. Pearson," he said politely, his Beast screaming violence against the equally matched Beast. The Menace knew he had defeated Roderick Pearson before. He knew it in his Blood that he could do it again, could take, could destroy...

No, that would not do. It certainly would not be politic, here in Elysium.

"I trust you are well this evening?"

For every interaction, a formula. It kept the clenching of his teeth and the overpowering urge to assert his dominance to a minimum.

M

Beasts tend to not forget. When Baldwin appeared, so did his alterego, only made worse with the air about him that set the soldier on edge. Defeated before by the other only make his Beast burn in anger. It's pride struck, it demanded revenge. It demanded the blood of one who thought itself it's better. But the budding Sotoha knew better. There are superiors and inferiors. This was a fact of life. For everyone and everything that exists, there is a greater and lesser. Sir Baldwin earned his place as Roderick's Superior. But for the moment, the Beast countered. And that one moment of defiance, Roderick allowed.

The internal struggle took only a moment and Roderick was in control. When Baldwin spoke, Roderick straighten himself up just short of a salute, "Thank you for coming, Sir Baldwin. I am in good health tonight." He slowly relaxed and moved to an 'at ease' stance. "I hope the night finds you just as well." Right foot, two three. Roderick might hate dancing, but he was starting to get the hang of the Danse. Formalities out of the way, hopefully on to business now. "A meeting room I have prepared for us is ready."

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin noted the rigidity of the Lord's initial pose. In other circumstances, the Knight would just tell him to relax, but he was just fine with formality at this point. "It does." He nodded to the mention of a meeting room, motioning in an 'after you' sort of way and going into the room.

He didn't wait much longer to cut to the chase.

"Mr. Pearson, I wish to make one thing abundantly and unequivocally clear."

His tone was calm, but the Menace pouring off him seemed to twist the words, making them subtly threatening even so.

"You may ask me for assistance on patrol if you wish without risk. Indeed, I thank you for thinking of me. If I am not busy, I may be inclined to help, for the right price." Help such as his did not come free.

"But to attempt to Danse your way into having the Order, the protectors of a Covenant which you are not a member of, to lend their name to your cause... that is a set of steps to which you are not entitled. It is not something to even attempt. The Thorned Wreath is the shield of the Unconquered, not a tool for your aspirations, and to ask one of us for such a thing is to ask us all."

He paused for a moment, then concluded. His voice was quiet as he asked one very important, final question. "Do you understand why I say this, Mr. Pearson?"

M

Once inside the meeting room, Baldwin let Roderick have it. For a moment, it felt like he was back at bootcamp and was getting a verbal lashing from his drill sergeant. No, this was missing the hand spear, the set of exercises and a lot more cursing. But Baldwin had that special touch that made Roderick's neck hair stand on end. It actually made sense. Roderick, in his haste, had not seen the uniqueness and exclusivity of the Knights and their role in the Invictus. He had allowed himself to assume and once again it struck him back. Roderick had only one option to chose.

He set his feet together, put his hands firmly at his side and bent forward at the waist until he was as far bowed as he could go, "Forgive me! I overstepped my bounds. I..." His attempt to excuse himself died on his lips and he swallowed it. His next words were more carefully chosen. "I am still a neonate in many things, despite my long mortal life. Please, correct my waywardness as you see fit for I lack in understanding. Then, if I am still worth your time, allow me to properly make my request." He does not rise from the bow or lift his head. Though his Beast raged in protest, he would not allow it to make his mistake any worse.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin sighed. The fellow really did not understand what he was getting at. "It is not prostration and apologies I need, Mr. Pearson. I'm not exactly an Elder either. I want you to understand that the Order exists to protect the Invictus. When I am on patrol elsewhere, it means I'm not ready to answer calls if they come in. If a member of my Covenant called me and was actively under attack, I would leave you, for you are not of the Unconquered. That means, even if we were in the midst of a dangerous situation, I would go. It is my duty."

He paused, peering almost through the Lord before him with that lunatic gaze, his curse in full swing.

"Of course, if ever you did earn membership in the First Estate..."

The Haunt let that hang.

M

The last part stung. It struck him hard. It sometimes felt with every passing of a day he was further and further away from his goal. First the Prince and now Sir Baldwin. To have his only goal in his new life, the chance to prove that his Sire was of quality, pushed further and further away. This was almost too much to bare.. But he held himself steady. The last thing that Roderick Pearson was was a quitter.

He straightened himself up and stood firm, even as the curse washed over him. Though this entire situation was starting to feel like a bomb defusing and he didn't know which wire to cut, he pressed on "Yes, sir. I understand. The Knights are the walls that surround the Fortress of Order, the Invictus. I fully understand now." Just as the Sotoha serve as the tranquil reflecting pond within those walls, every part of the Invictus have their role in the whole. If he wishes to find his place among them, he must make them see that he has a valuable role to serve as well. "My only desire here is to return vigilant patrols back into the norm of Kindred society. I can lead the patrol, of that I assure you. However, my last attempt has shown me that I do not have the weight to gather Kindred willing to serve. If I still have your favor, I ask only that you assist me in calling them together."

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin wasn't sure Roderick did understand, not yet, but he did not seek to correct the man again in such a short time. He recognized the efforts. He also recognized what he interpreted as desire to serve the First Estate, if not a complete understanding as to how.

Did he need to see more?

"If it is my support you want, Mr. Pearson, tell me an impressive plan as to how you wish to do this and what mission you are seeking to accomplish."

Why not?

If he became a liability, he could always dust him in the Barrens.

M

Roderick nodded and moved to the meeting table as he spoke, "I was planning on first gathering those of a like mind. I was hoping you would be one of them. A single voice can be ignored, but a gathering of them is a movement. Once I had some I could call allies in this, I would then go to the Prisci. While they lack the ability to put forward orders, they are influential. And even one would be enough to sway others." He unrolled a map onto the table then, areas marked out for each of the Regent's territory similar to the one Martha used for her Orientations. Added on top were areas outlined in bright red. "I would then go to the Regents of different areas, ask them directly which areas are of concern to them. For the Communal Grounds, I found an area that is of interest that I would like to hit first." He tapped his finger on a red bordered area, the Alden-Arcade area of Sacramento.

Roderick then straighten up, adding, "My main interest would be gathering the fresher of the Kindred of Sacramento. Those looking to prove that they can be of help and show they are worth their space. This would be a chance to not only educate them on a wide range of topics, but to instill the mindset of community and co-operation. Things that the Beast tends to rebels against. All of this will hopefully make the idea of Patrolling something that is unusual to not do or not to attend. With that, we will make clear to any Kindred who refuse to present themselves to the Court, or those with malicious intent, that Sacramento is defended by her residents."

P
    Peter Baldwin

Regents. Not a one of whom was a member of the First Estate. It was a good idea for the Ventrue, no doubt, but Sir Baldwin found himself failing to understand what was in this for him and his. The Regents had Hounds.

"An interesting idea, Mr. Pearson, one I encourage you to continue to work toward. I see why you would do it, and I see what you stand to gain. But, pray tell, what benefit does the Order receive for having allocated me to this, rather than other pursuits such as training myself and other members of the Invictus, or working on projects for the direct development of the First Estate? My duties rarely let up, you see."

He smiled, curious as to what Roderick would say. It was, like all of the Haunt's actions and his stillness, subtly terrifying in its insidious tension.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread