Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
(Private) Two Nickels

The First Card
Jul 2, 2014 - Jul 4, 2014
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

What? What was with the money obsession? Sure, it looked like she could use some, but, still. Weirdness. He'd teach her to cable, awkard and all, but she wasn't going to get rich doing it.

"Well, yeah. Obviously you're missing something? I mean, any third or fourth year grad student should be able to work something out. Even sophomores, in some majors. "

Was she getting what he was laying down? Thing was, though: Awakened didn't need money. Too easy, yo. Hell, they built a damn replica of Westminster. That's a clue. Big. Clue.

He cocked his head and grinned at her. "You, uh, know that fund-age isn't a thing, right? That's like, so minor. Our, hmm, pro bono work? More important than billable hours."

How could she not know that?

Leaning forward his voice lowered.

"How long... Wait. No. Rewind. Because I've got this other question first. Like, I'm legit super curious. What's the story there?"

Long fingers pointed at her forearms. Super. Curious.

Side note? He was getting really annoyed that he could not get a read on this girl. Like, ever. Krypt-O-Nite.

Failure for Posterity
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-06-11 14:46:45 Cut rolls 4 to Wits + Empathy (10 Again) 1, 4, 7, 3 failure
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"I don't think I'm the only one missing something," Avis replied, eyes narrowing slightly. "Our society is supposed to be all transcendent and shit but most of what I've heard is 'you're on your own, do it yourself.' Not everything is like that, obviously, given my living situation, but that's what I'm talking about. I want to contribute something like that, something that other people in the Circle will benefit from. I mean, why isn't fund-age a thing? We're supposed to be an enlightened community, right? With all we have at our disposal why haven't we set up some kind of bread-line? Maybe it's because of all the recent crime and struggle, or maybe I am the one missing something, but that doesn't make sense to me. But whatever, it doesn't even matter yet. No point in planning until you have something to work with in the first place," she conceded, slumping a bit in her chair.

Her eyes flicked away from Cut and she picked up her water glass again, using it as a temporary barrier to hide behind. Her sleeve slipped a bit down her arm when she lifted the glass to her lips, revealing a few silvery scars on her wrist and forearm. Normally she wouldn't have noticed, but Cut's last question had ignited a hyper-awareness along her arms. She ignored it for now but after a few sips she set the glass down and her hands disappeared under the table.

"It was a car accident. Glass cuts you a lot when you crawl through it," she lied.

1 success to lie
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-06-12 06:37:06 Avis rolls 5 to no story for youse (manip+sub) (10 Again) 1, 10, 5, 1, 2, 3 1 success
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

3. Likes RebornSeas, West, Sirith liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Surprised? No. Disappointed? Maybe.

His own eyes moved to the exposed wrist and followed the disappearance.

"Ummm, so... I'm not sure that's like lying because you think I'm stupid? Or it's a polite 'fuck off'. It's cool. You could have just said you didn't want to answer it. I mean, they're... kinda little too... regular? To be accidental. Just sayin'."

A smile crept out and he shook his head.

"Just so you know? I thought you were pretty badass the first time we met, having them all out there. Like you didn't care, or maybe, whatever had happened, you were cool with. So that's why I asked. Sorry."

Illusions? Most people had them. Used them.

"Anyway. What you were saying, before I got all too-personal, I guess? Seems like our sort has enough entitlement issues without handouts, though. But there are always Mentors, right?"

You liez.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-06-12 15:03:54 Cut rolls 5 to Wits + Empathy + Spec (10 Again) 2, 5, 8, 9, 3 2 successes
    - Roald Dahl

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Hmmm. That idea had merit. A mentor--But no! She'd have to think on it later. For now the important piece of the conversation was focused on her. On her past. Of course Cut would focus on the fossils of old cuts. It didn't matter that his name related to cards rather than violence. The ideas had sympathy between them. A common idea united the words, brought them a similar focus. And maybe there was something more concrete to that idea, something that reached out and prodded at the illusionist's curiosity. Perhaps prodded at her, too. Well, that's what Avis suspected. An Acanthus would probably understand it better but she knew something of fortune was tied into her being when some of those scars were made. Maybe it was time she acknowledged them, instead of hiding them.

"It's kind of funny, when you think about it,"
    Avis began, one hand appearing from it's refuge, seeking out the glass again. "One person lies, hoping to protect themself. The other person sees the lie, is offended, and so the liar has hurt themself. I guess it's kinda counterproductive, at some point. So yeah, you caught me, it wasn't a car accident. But I didn't lie because I thought you were stupid. I lied because it was easier. But I guess that's the other point. Easy usually doesn't benefit you. If there's no conflict there's no possibility of growth. So I'll tell you," Avis said, speaking slower, speaking quieter.

"The first sentence was a lie. The second sentence was partially truth. It was glass. Most of the scars someone gave me. The rest I gave myself, to ruin the pattern they'd drawn." Her hand twirled the water glass and her eyes flicked down to watch light play through it. Part of her was upset, demanding to know why she'd told him. Why she didn't let the past remain. It was insane. He didn't need to know. Except, she needed him to know. Now that he'd asked; now that she felt conflicted. She couldn't keep taking the easy road. Eventually she would have to stop stagnating. So she answered, but she answered for herself. For the hope of growth and maybe another's trust.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

7. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Surprised? This time, yes.

He'd figured they'd move on to talk of Mentors, and she'd know she could tell him to Hush in the future without lying. Layers of conflict. Because the second chance was never the same as the first; because of reasons; because... because.

As for her theories on lies? Well.

He closed his eyes, flipping back to when they met. Pictured them. He hadn't stared, so it was futile. Couldn't wash away the distortions to see what had been. Shivered, imagining it. Lots. Deep. There were other questions raised, but she'd told him what she was comfortable with -- and all but one of those questions could probably be filed under Macabre Curiosity. ...and he wasn't going to cheapen the revelation with such.

Then you process the information, and then what? He opened them and watched the spinning water. Looked at her hand.

"That's pretty intense. I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank you... for sharing that."

A hint of a wry smile accompanied the words, a subtle admission that he found his own words inadequate.

"And you're totally a badass."
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

Words were inadequate. Or at least the ones Avis knew. For an uncomfortably long period of time she simply sat there, occasionally looking at him, occasionally glancing at her glass or the table. Never looking at the the other diners. At first she thought about doing the whole denial thing. The last thing she felt like was a badass. No, Animus was a badass. Maybe Asp, too. Avis was just Avis. She got by. She used what was at hand. There was nothing exalted in that. It just was. Trouble was, she didn't know a way of saying that so it sounded authentic. So silence reigned until she finally plucked up her voice.

"I'm--uh. Yeah. Thanks. Soooooo-why did you start doing magic? Like the card tricks and stuff," she said finally, moving onto something else that might inspire conversation.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

He was content to sit in silence, watching her. For once, his hands were motionless, resting on the laminated menu in front of him.

"Originally? Maybe it was Blaine, or Angel, or Copperfield. Maybe even Penn & Teller. It was something to do, and I was fairly good at it. And... I enjoyed it. The entertainment, and the tricking people."
    He smiled at the small admission. "I also like... the idea of illusions. People need them."

His fingers rippled slowly, drumming.

"And... the 'scene'. The entertainment scene. I love it, and being an entertainer was a way in."

His eyes continued to watch her as he spoke. She'd been honest. So he would. And, hopefully, they'd keep one another's secrets.
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"You ever escape from a straightjacket?" she asked, almost compulsively. The question had been burning in her mind since she'd seen him start flashing cards around. That was the ultimate test of the escape artist, wasn't it? Well, no, not the ultimate, but it probably separated the novices from the professionals. The hobbyists from the talent. But maybe Cut didn't go for those kinds of tricks. That's why she was asking. It would be interesting to get an entertainers view on the larcenous arts.

12. Likes West liked this post
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Sure? I'm fairly good with locks, too."

Au natural, at that.

"Thing is, it just doesn't excite people anymore. The problem with tricks like that is that people know what's going to happen. It's like watching someone run a nine ball table, or do a flip on a motorcycle. You appreciate the skill, but there's no... magic."
    He shrugged. "A good trick... enchants the imagination. Transcends the scope of the possible."

A conspirator's smile lit his face, and he raised eyebrows.

"So, you. Apparently you cheat at cards. What other tricks do you do?"
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

Avis matched Cut's grin now that they were on more neutral ground. She still didn't entirely feel like smiling but there was no harm in faking it. Besides, she knew that stretching your lips away from your teeth had some weird bio-feedback effect that helped lift your mood. If you faked it long enough the lie would become the truth. Funny how the human brain worked.

"I don't really know any "trick" tricks. Not like you do. I can't find your card or anything like that, but I am good with moving and removing stuff so people don't notice. I'm also good with locks, too. I think they're a lot of fun actually, but I need to get some tools. I can improvise, but it makes it harder, ya know?"

15. Likes West liked this post
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread