Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1406)(AFD) Animus, Avis, and Cut

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

After securing some space further from the bustle, the shaman gives a more careful consideration to Cut's question. Thoughts immediately flash to the gaping hole in his memory, but immediately place it off limits. Fellow Arrows were one thing; they put their lives in each other's hands regularly. Cutting loose in a mixed group, with half the Consilium around to potentially overhear? Not a chance.

"It's a good city. Many people who care deeply about the goings-on. Not without its dangers, but ... I suppose I'd be out of a job, were it otherwise." A weak smile, covering a halfhearted attempt at humor.

Perhaps Cut's met his match in the small talk category.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Avis grabbed a bottle of water off the snack table before following Animus and Cut some yards to the side. She popped the cap on the bottle and took a drink, eyes flicking over the rest of the cathedral and the unfamiliar mages scattered about it. The water felt good going down her throat but it settled oddly in her stomach. Maybe eating something would be a good idea, too, though she was afraid of what food would do inside a nervous stomach. Especially once the athletics started. Yeh, maybe it was a good thing she wasn't doing the meet'n'greet. It was definitely easier on the nerves talking to people she already knew. Somewhat, anyway. She shot Cut a glance and then turned to Animus.

"If only being an Arrow, paid, right? I love the job but it doesn't help fulfill those needs the Lie demands, ya know?" she said, matching Animus' smile.
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Shuffle-step, follow.

interesting

Totally was not getting that being-polite-but-hate-you vibe he had semi-expected after Ariadne's remark. So, what? It wasn't an Arrow thing? Maybe the other two? Errr.... three.

"Right? Like, if any of it paid. How cool would that be?!"

Yeah. THE ELDER still gave him the heebs. But it was easier to chill with backup. Not that he thought if shit hit the fan, Avis was on his side instead of Animus', but, still.

"I heard Acanthus' win lotteries. Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life, and all. I mean, really. Who wants a jay-oh-bee."

Wow, did that make him sound lazy? Ouch.

"So, ummm, what kind of, uh... 'dangers'?"

He looked at Avis. What? What did that look of hers mean? Was that a shut up this guy has better things to do we were just being polite look?
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

4. Likes Matamune, Cayce liked this post

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

A light shrug. "Unfortunately most of us aren't that lucky." A flicker, at the edge of memory. By now he just lets the spark lie dormant.

"We've had off-and-on problems with Banishers, usually trying to pick off stragglers. But also something ... else." A haunted look flashes across the shaman's eyes, and he glances to Avis for support.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Um. Yeah. I think Leo said he thought it was Scelesti, the abyssal followers. They, uh, they murdered several mages. The old consilium officials. 'Course, that's being followed up on. Those assholes aren't going to just walk away, but it does pay to be careful around town right now. That's one of the reasons why I'm not so eager to move out of the Circle yet, but that's just me." Avis shrugged. "I mean, not until a better space becomes available."
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Well.

What do you say to that? Once words like Scelesti and Tremere get tossed out there, the convo is dead -- right? Jeez. Just do the polite thing and mention some Banishers.

A slight, slow sway moved him as he shifted his weight, looking between the two. His eyes lingered on Avis, looking at her with a degree of new appreciation and respect.

"Wow. That's... pretty heavy. I am Totally Not marginalizing anything you're saying... but? It's going to be hard to have any fun if we keep talking about that? And I really need to convince myself this is going to be fun if I'm going to hang around to be someone's punching bag..."

He raised an eyebrow as he began to speak, hoping neither took offense; then smiled at the last bit, hoping to defuse any tension if he had.

"Either way... did I just see Adrian Isaacs? Is that really him?"

Not the most graceful subject change, but, the situation was dire, in his estimation.
    - Roald Dahl

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Truth be told, Animus was just as happy with the change of topic. He didn't like remembering what he'd seen, or what it had done to him.

But still, the shift confuses him. A questioning glance toward Avis. "Adrian ... Should I know the name's significance?"

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Uh. Maybe? I don't know. Someone did yell that name earlier," Avis replied, turning a questioning gaze toward Cut, completing the questioning triangle. She shifted uncomfortably, not enjoying having to reveal her own ignorance.

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Uh, I guess? Aren't you like, old enough? That's your sound, right? Van Halen?"

He was genuinely surprised when Animus asked. Clearly. He wasn't just messing with Elder Arrow. Sure, the guy was a has-been, but it was like wondering who Johnny Cash was. Didn't have to know to know.

...but at least they weren't talking about Scelesti. Take notes: don't ask an Arrow 'what's dangerous'. It's like asking a chef 'what's cookin'.

"Nice turnout, it seems like! What, ah, what goes on? What normally happens?"

Keep it moving. Keep the words flowing. He felt like he'd dropped a card, but he'd caught it on the top of his shoe. One kick away from being back in his hand.
    - Roald Dahl

11. Likes Sirith, Cayce liked this post

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I don't ... really have a sound, I guess." The conversation was getting weird, and how long before it went from odd knowledge gaps to Cut suspecting the truth? He supposed the more the topic wandered, the more likely it was.

But the conversation had yet to reach a topic it could safely come to a rest on. The shaman spends a few moments glancing around the Circle before answering. "I think the plan was for various physical contests, but obviously other hosting orders would make vastly different choices."

An answer he was comfortable with, as long as Cut didn't press for details.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread