Ended
Watch

At The Library

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha blinks. Clearly bemused. "No lost cities in the United States? You...you mean to say, sir, that you haven't heard of the Lost Cities of Gold?" she gasps.

Playfully, but keen to excite Douglas too.

"The lost cities of Cibola! The quest and search for them, led by General Coronada, actually inspired the very first deep reccon and Spanish settlement and exploration of the United States! Supposedly these Seven Cities of Gold y lurk somewhere between Arizona and Kansas..." she smiles and thinks back to her aborted quest for these selfsame lost cities.

For the moment his question about Urban Exploring is left unanswered...clearly she's alive with thoughts of lost cities!

Her stump wriggles under her skirt as she talks.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    B
    Bean

"Oh but ma'am they never found those if memory serves me right. Unfortunately I would have no idea where to start looking. There is quite a large area between Arizona and Kansas. And couldn't they also be in Mexico or even Canada?" He gives her a smile after noticing the playfulness in her tone. "But then again, perhaps that should not stop me from finding them."

Her chipperness beginning to rub off on Douglas, he decides he may be bold enough to ask her a bit about herself. "What about you ma'am? I don't mean to draw attention to it but you don't sound like you're from this... side of the pond I believe the expression goes? You even come across a lost city where you are from?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Oh..." she pauses to ponder his many questions. Bright eyed, she replies happily; "Ah! Well...the British Isles are fully explored...at least, above ground. There's often the discovery of some Anglo-Saxon settlement when excavations for roadworks begin...or when a drought reveals the once submerged lake or river bed." she giggles.

What sort of Mekhet would she be if she wasn't even a little bit attracted to a secret conspiracy? Suddenly her mind opened to exploring a few illustrative examples;

"Anything is possible when it comes to things hidden below ground!" there's another happy giggle. "Consider all those strange and secret subterranean military bunkers you have a lot of here in the United States! Or the bizarre National Redoubt the Nazi's were supposedly constructing actually within the Alps! Their so-called Alpenfestung...I believe it was, in the end, a much exaggerated claim and the tunnels were often used to construct advanced jet fighter planes and bombers...all safe underground from the Allied bombing raids..." she balances again on her single leg as she risks using her hands to mime the terrible over-flight of a squadron of B-17 Flying Fortress bombers, "...not to mention the alleged Die Glocke secret experiment concealed within deep mines along the border with Czechoslovakia...whatever the Die Glocke might actually have been! I like to think it was a time machine. But it could just as easily have been a proto-type nuclear particle accelerator...or a gravity defying Wunderwaffe!"

"As to lost cities..." she nods, "I have seen the odd one or two." she smiles playfully.

Watching with bright eyes to see what, if anything, she's mentioned Douglas decides to leap upon.

Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

B
    Bean

Douglas's eyes widen slightly as Martha shows her vast knowledge on the subject. Did not expect that... Though I'm not sure why I didn't in hindsight.

"And of course World War II wasn't that long ago either. I imagine there may still be a few people around this world who know a definite answer to that eh? I'm afraid though that you seem to know more on the subject than I do. I tend to stick toward religion and anthropology when I like to study. Though it is of course interesting to learn of more history. You never know what you may stumble on."

Martha Villiers

PRE

Nodding, Martha quickly offers; "This is exactly where the Urban Exploring comes in, sir! A direct investigation of the lost and lonely places left abandoned by Man!" she giggles, "Consider it an exploration of lost cities...within modern urban society! Consider the enterprise an anthropological exploration of urban artifacts!" she smiles once more. Clearly enthusiastic.

B
    Bean

Douglas nods and makes an 'Ah!' sound. "Like um... Oh what's that phrase... 'people watching' correct?" He nods again.

"It would be lovely to go with you for some Urban Exploring then ma'am!" He flashes her a small genuine smile looking forward to the idea.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Splendid!" she chirps, "I shall make arrangements and let you know! I hope we can undertake an expedition within a fortnight!" she adds a happy smile and seems keen to keep the idea fresh.

Martha pondered asking him about hobbies, but became hesitant. Wondering if she had already exhausted his enthusiasms for one evening.

To allow Douglas time to re-group or explore topics of conversation, she falls happily quiet and smiles...as if inviting Douglas to be free to say something...

B
    Bean

"Of course! The sooner the better." Douglas returns the smile given to him from Martha as if waiting for her to speak. When she doesn't it becomes apparent that it is indeed still his turn in their conversation. Now, perhaps, he had been given both the privilege and responsibility to uphold the continuation of their exchange.

"May I ask you a personal question ma'am?"

Assuming she answers in the affirmative (if not, disregard the following):

"You seem like you've been around this world that you and I both make our stay for a rather long time. Of course I mean no offense by that in the slightest, actually quite the opposite. But what I wanted to ask you is if you've ever gotten... Oh how do I put this... 'bored' I suppose would be the word I'm looking for. Have you ever gotten to a point in which you're unsure how to spend all the time you've been given?"

Douglas looks at Martha as if he is both waiting for her answer and pondering his own.

Martha Villiers

PRE

personal question?

Martha blinked and tensed and waited for the leg question...

...but, to her obvious relief, it didn't come! She smiled. Visibly relaxing, Martha fell silent to give his question serious thought and leaned close to make certain they weren't overheard.

Her eyes bright with excitement she offered;
    "Ah! You mean, aside from working to make new friends, sir!" she beamed a smile...thinking not only of Douglas but Velma, Dillon...ah, so many Kindred and Mortals in the Domain it was hard not to smile, "Have you heard of the developments at Spaceport America? It's the worlds first civilian space port...located in New Mexico, close to the White Sands Missile Range, tell me, sir, how can a world which has constructed a purpose-built civilian spaceport can ever be boring!" she giggles merrily.

"This spaceport, almost fully ignored by the world's media...so desperate to terrify us...to distract us and and to lull us into a state of perpetual and disorientating shock...is a symbol of our civilization working to explore the stars!"

"How can such a project and the promises it advances be born of a world in which one can be dull? There is simply too much to learn and study...too much to work towards to be bored!"
    she smiled and wondered if, by asking the question, Douglas had already begun to feel adrift in his Requiem,.

"Why, sir....do you feel you require some definite intellectual direction and stimulation? Are you at risk of ennui?" she asks with a sweet smile.

A thought occurred to her; if she could snatch someone from the superstition of the Lancea Sanctum and win his Mind and talents for the Ordo Dracul...so much the better.

B
    Bean

Douglas thinks hard about her answer before replying. He looks around and makes sure that nobody is around them but it seems their talking has driven everyone away.

"But Ms. Villiers, is it our civilization? Or is it their civilization?" He is whispering to her and his face shows obvious signs of thought.

"I think it would be a touch melodramatic to speak of ennui or even the lack of stimulation and direction. But I can't help but wonder things of this nature." He looks down. "Ah but perhaps this is a subject best left to those of my... theological sway so to speak."

He habitually rubs the bridge of his nose as he glances at his books.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread