Ended
Watch

At The Library

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Martha Villiers

PRE

The air conditioned Library held an unnatural cool and the atmosphere here was alive with the gentle tip-tap of keyboards and filled with the heavy glare of overhead fluorescent lamps.

Several bored librarians are quietly chatting near a fire extinguisher and two students are hunched over laptops.

Meanwhile, tiny Martha was amusing herself in the middle of a Domain Patrol by taking in the latest events listings at the Sacramento Public Library.

Studying the 'What's on' events in the main reading area of the Library, the small creature leaned on her crutches and smiled.

-1 Vitae for Blush of Life

Martha is meekly and sweetly attired in an English school uniform: a black 'summer pattern' felt broad brimmed cap of the Edwardian English school fashion and of the traditional summer design...an embroidered cap badge seems to be of some heraldic crest and is matched by that of the embroidered badge on her neat black blazer. A pair of scholarly wire-framed spectacles are perched on the end of her nose.

Her short black pleated gymslip which shows one slim leg and its kneesock to just above the knee. Her ebony black hair is tied into two long neat twin tails. Each twin tail is tied with a large black silken ribbon bow. Her left leg is fully missing...clearly it's been amputated high above the knee.

Tiny Martha's using a pair of simple and plain metal forearm crutches to help her swinging motion.

A crisp white blouse is obvious where the gymslip reveals it, as is her red necktie which is tucked neatly into her short gymslip. Carefully polished single black Mary Jane shoe completes her very neat presentation.

Having made her inspection of the What's On listings, she turns her attention to the rest of the room...afterall, who, or what!, you may see or encounter in such a place so late at night...

Bean

Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

B
    Bean

Douglas sat at a table alone close to the wall. He had picked this particular table because there hadn't been another person near it when he arrived but since then a young fellow, possibly a student, sat down at the table behind him. Douglas was wearing a simple outfit of very old khaki slacks and a light blue cotton button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up. He had caught himself rolling them up an hour or two ago and asked himself why but he did not find the answer. He didn't feel warm and didn't care whether or not it was currently 'cool' but it was rather a very old habit back from when he did.

Presently there were three books in front of him. Two were closed and to his left and the third was open near the middle beside an old notebook. The notebook itself was not special, simply one he had bought for 45 cents last autumn that was now getting close to full. Within it were the slanted scribblings of Douglas, notes from various books and texts he's come across as well as some personal commentary from himself in the margins. In the back of his mind he is vaguely aware of his lack of glasses, which he had to wear most of his life especially while reading, but are no longer required of course. The particular book he is reading now is from the section including archaeological studies and essays while the two unopened are both from the theology section.

He hears the crutching patting against the carpet before he looks up and to his right to see the source. Upon recognizing Martha, he expects his Damnation to fight for control but it doesn't, instead laying as settled as before. Just like our first meeting of course. He wonders if she wants to be bothered out here among the kine. Perhaps she is hunting. Then again, perhaps she is just spending her time here such as I am. He decides, based on her demeanor during their last meeting, that even if she was busy she wouldn't be offended at Douglas greeting her so he begins to assemble a bookmark as he can stand and walk over to her.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha's enjoying herself. Her smile is clear and her eyes active in searching out her environment.

Detecting Doug's Beast she finds her grip tightening on her crutches and her stump moves in urgent circles under her skirt.

She begins to settle down and, once steady, crutches over in a cloud of lemony aroma to greet him with a happy smile and gentle whisper.

Seeing his relaxed demeanor and obvious scholarly pursuits, tiny Martha chirps a gentle, almost whispered,
    "Hello, sir! Hard at your studies, I see!" she avoids using a name, lest he's operating under an alias here...one can, she decides, never be too careful about such things...
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

B
    Bean

Douglas quickly stands and offers his hand, speaking quietly in a whisper. "Oh yes I suppose so ma'am. There was once a time when I thought I read this kind of thing professionally. What um... What brings you here ma'am? That is, if you don't mind my asking."

Martha Villiers

PRE

Delighted to see his manners in action, smiling, Martha has to briefly balance on her single leg for a moment while she manipulates her crutches to offer her hand in greeting.

"Good evening!" she nodded towards the 'What's On' board as she wrangles her crutches back to usefulness. "Oh...seeing what events we can look forward to! Also, I always enjoy reading the journals here!" she giggles in a cheery manner.

"Your studies going well...?" she asks with sincere interest.

B
    Bean

Douglas finds the second greeting a tad odd but it is still friendly and he can never be full of friendly conversationalists in his life (or rather unlife). In fact, he seems to currently have a shortage. So naturally when Martha inquires about his reading, it makes him excited to talk a little about it.

"Yes very well I think. I found this book here and I am reading about an archaeological dig site called 'Tiwanaku', I hope I'm pronouncing that right, which they believe to be the most important city of the Incan Empire and the center of their religious practices. I find a particular interest in what can be called ancient religion." Douglas senses movement behind him and sees the student who had sat at the table behind him is leaving. He briefly thinks I wonder if we are being too loud. before he dismisses the futile thought.

"But as little as is known about all that, it may be easier for me to just find someone who lived then and there." Douglas smiles at Martha, a genuine smile, and it is accompanied by a light chuckle.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha offers a happy chuckle and nods in playful agreement. She was familiar with at least one person whom might have been able to help him. She thought back to Ricardo, a former Sheriff.

Leaning hard on her crutches she shuffled over to pay closer attention to his book and notes.
    "I say! It's all very exciting isn't it! Uncovering a lost city!" her eyes became suddenly bright with the notion.

"Especially a center of religious worship! Imagine all the secrets to be revealed!" she wanted to clap her hands in delight, but they were currently occupied.

"There's always room for those interested in shards of pottery. But lets face it, sir, it's the lure of the truly mysterious that draws most interested in archeology! Imagine!" she gasps, "Hacking away through dense, dangerous, dark jungle...evading panthers and hostile tribes to reach a vine covered pyramid...unseen by the eyes of Man for an Aeon!"

She smiles and seems almost lost in the fantasy.

B
    Bean

Douglas chuckles softly at Martha's excitement. "Yes indeed, just like in those Indiana Jones movies from a couple decades ago right? It is quite exciting enough for me to read about it instead. Though from the sounds of it I think more archaeologists spend most of their time on their knees digging with a trowel with a group of like minded people."

Douglas looks back at his notes and the book still open with a picture of the Gateway of the Sun. "But I suppose that's what others would call the boring part."

Martha Villiers

PRE

Smiling and attentive, Martha listens and nods a great deal. "Quite! Quite! I jest, of course...we learn more from pottery and fragments of baked tablets than we tend to from larger finds like a pyramid!" Peering at the fine illustrations over the rims of her spectacles, she giggles. "But...one cannot deny the thrill of finding a lost site!" she sighs, thinking back to accompanying her father on adventures in Darkest Africa.

"I wonder...perhaps you might wish to accompany me one evening on an Urban Exploration?" she asks with bright cheeriness.

B
    Bean

Douglas smiles at Martha's bubbly nature. It is strange for one dead such as herself to act so alive. "Ah this actually says that there were pyramids of sorts and other above ground burial sites that suggest ancestor worship."

"But I wouldn't know about that feeling, I've spent my whole existence here in the US. Not much in terms of lost cities here that I'm aware of."

"That would be lovely ma'am, I would never miss a chance to be in your company, but what do you mean by Urban Exploration?" He adds quizzically.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread