THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Madam Xe's establishment was part music hall, gambling den, bordello, antiquities market. It was built out of a hollowed out tenement and decked out in Dickensian glory. From the street, it didn't look like much. Inside there was a rude stage, multiple levels and bars. Tonight, the can-can had been replaced by singing - no less bawdy - after an attempt at an operetta collapsed into farce.

Off in a corner, the papier-mache marvel that was the Grotto, appeared forlorn and neglected. A cold man in a bowler hat stood watch over the entrance.

Nardo's contact had chosen an appropriate meeting place. The crowd was thick and distracting; the hall was big and had multiple levels, with many nooks and crannies to hide in. The establishment was known to all as Madam Xe's chief holding - an outsider would have to tread carefully here; doubtless the slumlord and underworld matron would not take kindly to her operations being disrupted, so the place was well suited as a neutral ground.

Of course, Nardo still had to find his contact amid the shadows and the swirling ranks of working men and women.
    RockBane

Nardo slowly made his way through the crowd, heading for the bar. He keeps a firm grip on his cane as he does so, he figures the bar would be the right place for his contact to see him. Hopefully they'd be able to find a private spot to go about their business.

Equipment: wallet, whale tooth cane, knife in a boot, knife on his belt, a cloak, and business suit.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Nardo finds himself nursing a strong smelling beverage, waiting for his contact to appear. The evening draws on in a timeless round of faces and songs. Then came the smell - garlic - and Guido appeared at his side. He paid for a tankard of ale with a shifty motion indicated an alcove hidden by the bulk of a pillar supporting the mezzanine above.

Drink in hand and with a surly look in his eye, Guido made his way over to the alcove. In the thick air, rank with alcohol and choked by smoke, their presence would be largely obscured: even a determined watcher would only note there was a presence in the alcove but not who.

Nardo's contact, it seemed, knew how to play the game...

Nardo wills his stomach to work during him following Guido through the building. As they near the place Guido has picked, he takes a sip of his drink, swallowing it. He begins their conversation by saying, "I hope you have been well these past few weeks."

- 1 Vitae

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Guido grunted. "I suppose. Too busy to tell, really." He leaned against the wall with one eye fixed on the hall beyond. "I have some information for you. Once I'm paid I'm laying low. I know when I'm being followed. Took some effort though. Good for you I know some people and they owe me a few favours, eh?" The researcher said no more, quaffing from his tankard.

"Indeed. You also have the bill slips for me as well?" Nardo asks, rather interested in what Guido has for him. Hopefully nothing to criminal happened to get the information.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Guide gave a non-commital shrug. "I'll have to get them to you. I risked bringing copies of the notes with me - some of the tastier information, you understand? Not all of it. I couldn't be sure who was following. Or if they'd take a calculated risk and come at me in the Coat. You know how it is?" He patted his coat.

Bowing his head he cast a shifty eye at the Spaniard. "Your item is a genuine article. I do mean genuine. Its not some copy - it really is one of the jewellery pieces made from the Andalusian Hoard. You know what I'm talking about? No... oh well, sir. You shall love this story. But first I need to wet my lips - its a long one..."

"The Andalusian Hoard was a treasure trove that some knights and state sanctioned bandits picked up in the dying days of old Granada. The trove was being shipped out under cover of darkness, presumably meant for Muslim lands in north Africa. Didn't make it and the hoard was turned over to Queen Isabella, who promptly turned it over to the Church and the Inquisition - story goes she didn't like the look of the objects as they were not Christian... or Moorish for that matter. Import for our story is this - all the objects were cast in red gold."

"The Inquisition didn't like 'em either and the whole hoard was melted down and repurposed as Church vessels and jewellery and so forth. Wound up as Church ornaments and gifts spun out over the next century across Spain. Some pieces, like this cross of yours, ended up in New Spain. I have a hunch that I can't prove that your cross might be the one a certain Hannibal de la Mancha received for his efforts on behalf of the Church - a strange tale in itself: this Hannibal was a failed Conquistador who blew a small fortune on trying to find the Seven Cities of Gold. He disappeared with Dom Cristobal's expedition to the gulf coast in the early 1600s."

Guido paused to slake his thirst.

"This cross was found in ruins of Albuquerque. Went through a number of hands - you can see it around the neck of some Mexican bishop in a painting from the 1780s! Last known owner was Luis Monterrey who was a rancher; lived to great age. In his younger days he helped bring California into the Union. Died about ten years ago with no issue. No idea how that cross wound up where it did - probably found its way to Madam Xe's artefact market."

He paused to drain the last of his drink.

"Eh. You can pay me now."

Nardo is rather impressed with the tale that Guido told him and reaches for his wallet. "The amount?" He asks calmly.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Guido rambles off [an amount]. It is greater than expected but doesn't break the bank.

"I had to bride a few people more than expected. And cash in some old favours. Not all the information could be found in the city. I'm guessing thats how the sharks found out. More professional than the one's I'm used to, I gotta say. I'm playing it safe, you understand. Pay me and I'm gone. You'll get your notes."

Nardo nods, he knew it wouldn't be an easy getting the information he wanted concerning the cross. He counts out the amount thrice before handing it over to Guido.

"My thanks for your help in this regard." He tells the man as he returns his wallet back to his pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread