Ended
Watch

At the Byzantine

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    B
    Beej

It's a slow night at the Byzantine. Strange how federal indictments of legislators had suddenly frightened the usual crowd of Capitol Hill sorts into staying home. It's not like Calderon or Yee had been doing their nefarious deals in Byzantine, it hadn't been around for that long after all. But when the FBI were still poking around the State House, everyone was on their best behavior.

Tonight a jazz quartet from Stanford was on the stage, the Byzantine being one leg of a Northern California tour. They weren't bad in Vincent's opinion, they were definitely going on the 'invite back' list. Couples hovered near bar and the booths in the stage area talking softly under the music. At the main bar a group of thirty-something friends laugh and trade barbs. All and all the atmosphere is quite subdued and intimate. Sure tips weren't going to be numerous for the staff tonight but there was just a nice vibe going on.

The owner of the Byzantine, Vincent, lounged in the curtained room area alone slowly running a finger up and down his close cropped beard on his right check. Most of the curtains were pulled back, revealing the series of tables and chairs were all quite empty. Save for Obrimos of course. Tonight he seemed to be in a playful mood, if his suit, eye-patch and smirk were any indication.

He lifted his right hand from his jaw and caught the attention of a passing waitress and signaled he wanted another Dark and Storm.

Miach

PRE

Miach was far, far from recovered from his months of abduction. He walked free now, though, and that was already a start. Among his liberators had been a man named Reverb, and he had never paid his proper thanks. Now was the time.

Right after he entered the Byzantine, the Acanthus stopped, and looked all around warily, trying to catch any sign of threat. He was obviously edgy, and didn't care if it showed. Being shot in the nuts, abducted, hanged down, bled, and tweaked for months could do that to a man.

After a few seconds of examination, he had assessed the room and the crowd as 'no threat more obvious than usual', and relaxed the slightest bit. Perhaps he even blinked. It was then that he let the tune played reach his ear, and he liked it. Walking down the stairs into the club proper, he looked everywhere for the main man, and found him as he ordered something. His clothes were... noticeable. Nothing like the casual jacket that Miach wore, hiding his kevlar vest underneath. He would have to keep safely away, should anyone decide to... do something stupid.

"Hi Rev" he said as he walked toward the Mighty. "How you doing ? Mind if I have a seat ?"

B
    Beej

At 'Rev' Vincent turned to look toward the source and grinned when he saw the Medstar walked up. "Hey Doc!" he said grinned as he rose and greeted Miach with a hug and a pat on the back. "Grab a seat." he motioned after stepping back and then retaking his own. "Hows it going man? You want something to drink?" If he hadn't been so focused on being cheerful and welcoming perhaps the Obrimos wouldn't have missed the feel of kevlar instead of back muscle. It was not a wholly forced greeting, he had missed the mage and was really glad he hadn't been killed. Besides, Vincent greeted sleeper friends that way, why not his Awakened ones too?

Miach

PRE

Miach let the Mighty greet him with a pat, and managed to only barely flinch. Yay self-control.

"Fine, fine." he replied to the rakish landlord. At the prospect of a drink, he was torn. He knew it would lessen his reflexes, and hinder his ability to flee. On the other hand, he would stood out if he didn't have a drink. Plus it could help him cope with... what was ahead.

"Sure. How about a pina colada, please ?" Always the sweet tooth.

Then, playing the social game of idle chit chat, he looked around with an appreciative gaze, and said "Great club. You're doing well here."

B
    Beej

Looking past the Medstar he could see the waitress at the bar with her back to him. "Uh, she's at the bar. We'll get you one when she drops off the one I just ordered."

"Yeah," Vincent glances around himself. "She's coming along nicely. We've already got a couple of bands to include us in their summer tours. Nothing big mind you, a jazz quartet from Stanford and a couple of Bay Area bands doing NorCal tours." Nothing crazy exciting but Vincent thought it a good sign. "Wicked is going to be in town in May, I don't suppose I could tempt you with some box seats?"

Miach

PRE

Miach smiled good-humourely. "Box seats, eh ? Well... why not." he said, remembering a time when he would have been overexcited at the prospect. It seemed bland and dull, now, even if it might admittedly soothe his pain.

His smile dropped, though, and the Acanthus went straight to the point that had brouhgt him to the Byzantine. "But I didn't come here to waste your time, Rev. I wanted to say again how much I am grateful to you for..." he gulped, and couldn't voice it. Instead, he waved his hands, free at last. "... what you did for me. I owe you, man. Big time."

His voice was shaking, but he forced himself to go on. "So if you need me, I'm here for you. Period. I needed you to know." Or so I hope, if my kness would stop wobbling...

B
    Beej

Vincent forced himself not to roll his eyes. And felt a spike of guilt at having to supress a reaction he figured he probably should have felt. "First, it's Vincent, especially here. No way no-one is not going to know, since I'm the owner. Anything else and it'll look weird." he smiled good naturally. "Second of all, lets not keep score. I got your back, you got mine back. You guys have been real friends since I got here." You guys, being the Medstars. Not to mention the bullet the good doctor had taken in the bookstore had probably been meant for himself.

Then waitress returned with Vincent drink, which Vincent took with a "Thanks Charline. My distinguished colleague here will have a pina colada." Once the server had left Vincent turned back to his friend. "And thirdly, hanging out and drinking is never a wasting time."

Miach

PRE

Vincent's warm reception of his talk helped Miach relax a bit, and the tall Acanthus breathed a sigh of relief. "Sure thing. Vince..." he said.

He would have tensed again about his next topic, but didn't have energy left, and instead admitted weakly "You know, it's hard adjusting back... sometimes, I feel like I'm dreaming, and that I'll wake up there any moment..."

B
    Beej

PTSD. It was not something the mage really knew much about. Oh sure he had brief moments of terror in his life but not like the good doctor.

"Every once and a while..I have get flashes." he paused looking in his drink before looking back at Miach. "From when..I almost lost my arm. Its like a panic that runs through me and I want to punch and kick and yell. I focus on heavy or cold things and grip it with my left hand. Grip it really hard, till I white knuckle." He was not remotely sure what he was talking about was applicable. "The solidness snaps me back to my senses, reminds me it's all over. I'm..not sure if that's any help. How much went into the police report? Is there..groups you could go to?"

Miach

PRE

Miach hadn't known about Reverb's past experience, and it was something that gave him food for thoughts. "I'm glad you still got it." he replied, meaning every word of it, but with the barest hint of a question in the sentence. And guilt. "As for me, I must say that I've done some outdoor exercise, and the feeling of fresh air, of limbs aching from tension, it was... relaxing. Great, actually."

The Acanthus purposefully didn't reply to the latest suggestion, and visibly winced instead. He knew. He knew. But to know, and to act on that knowledge, are two vastly different things.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.