THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Whatever the wagon carries is hidden under a large tarpaulin: crates, evidently by the rough size and shape. The wagon's canvas covering leans precariously to the left and is shot to ribbons; the right side is riddled with holes. The dead man had been riding in the back. There are no other bodies. The horse whickers but is too tired to move.

When Felix peels back the tarp he confirms that the wagon contained crates. Crates and what appear to be finely tooled mechanical parts: gears and cogs and coppery pipes. The crates have been helpfully stencilled Mechanical Parts. Fragile. in big, bold, lettering. The tooled pieces appear to have etchings carefully inscribed on their polished surfaces, lending them a strange gleam in the dim light.

D
    DownsideUp

Curiosity gets the better of Felix and he held a cog up for closer inspection. "I'm not sure this is a danger to the Mask, but it certainly ain't normal." The cog gets rolled over and examined as Felix tries to interpret the etchings in the copper. "Let ask a quick question and we can be on our way."

Felix left the back of the cart and moved toward the exhausted old horse at the front. His hand slid gently over it's fur and rested on the side of the poor beast's jaw. "I know you are tired, but can you tell me what happened to you and the man in the cart?" His voice is gentle and he gazes calmly into the horse's eyes, all notice of Albert being pushed to the back of Felix's mind.

Horse Chatter 2 Success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-03-08 13:32:32 Felix Grantly rolls 6 to Horse Chatter (Man+Animal Ken+Animalism) (10 Again) 6, 6, 9, 8, 6, 2 2 successes

M

Living for so long gave Albert a lot of patience. The only exception was when he watched efforts he knew was either futile or incorrect. For now, he reserves himself to quietly tapping his finger on the head of his cane.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

It takes a bit of huffing and whinneying but eventually Felix manages to soothe the horse enough for it to respond with enough coherence for him to understand.

<<Dragging things from where the bad water meets the land. Hidden men with thunder attack from dark places. Man friends die. I hear them. I run! I run! I run!>>

D
    DownsideUp

"They were attacked near 'bad water'. Either the ocean here or a nearby salt lake." Felix gently rubs the horse's muzzle. "There were others protecting the cart, but they were killed the same as the driver. The horse bolted when the shooting started."

A small look of self assurance crosses his face. The beasts of the world saw so much, and it was so amusing seeing others disregard them, especially Kindred.

"If they are willing to kill for it the stuff must be valuable, but....who is going to fence such....exotic merchandise?"

Felix slid the gear he had picked up earlier into his pocket and began unbinding the horse. No reason to keep the poor thing strapped to a such cargo.

"I do believe I promised to buy the first round, and I'm sure you're ready to be clear of this mess. I appreciate your waiting. Curiosity has been getting me into trouble for years. As soon as I get the horse freed up he can be on his way, and we can be on ours."

The Lord had every intention of looking into the cog, but for now, he had no desire to be dragged into a firefight nor to alienate his new friend.

M

Albert shook his head solomly, "Honestly, dear fellow, you are inviting trouble for yourself. We can live long and fruitful lives so long as we keep ourselves sensible." He stroked his beard in thought for a few moments until he spoke up again. "Reminds me of a fellow I meet during my time in Italy. He was fresh and full headed off himself. Would spend all night getting into fights and using his abilities to let him defeat those he couldn't before. He meet his end, however, when a challenged someone who held him off all night long. The knave was so full of himself that he thought he could still win. Even as the sun embraced him."

He held up a finger towards Felix like a stern elder, "A cautionary tale I hope you remember."

D
    DownsideUp

"I look forward to hearing all about him over whiskey." The scowling school master routine only seemed to improve Felix's mood.

He begins moving away from the cart, now that the horse was free. "Shall we?" Felix extends an arm up, out, and down the street.

M

Albert nods, his mood brightening as he starts walking down the road with his companion. A chance to get away from trouble and wax on about his past, it was a chance that couldn't be turned away.

"Oh well I have plenty of stories to tell. A few second hand and some third hand. It will be entertaining to share them with someone interested in them."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

This looks to be a good spot to wind up this scene. Unless you wished to continue your conversation?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread