April 29th, 2012
St. Louis

The terror thudded in her ribcage as her Beast scrabbled against the terrible Beast that approached her. The woman was dressed in an elegant blue business suit with a crisp white ruffled shirt. Her bone white hair was smoothed into a chignon at the base of her neck. Despite her hair, the woman's face didn't look older than mid - twenties. Yet she felt so terrible...

The blonde woman standing beside the Kindred spoke first.

"May I present Alder Lady Micha Chappelle, Notary of the First Estate. Childe of Alder Notary Ezra Rosietto; Childe of Councilor Notary Mariel Versaille; Chlde of Erland Aderes of the line Mekhet."

"I am pleased to make your acqaintance, Alder Lady Notary Chappelle." Jennifer squeeked.

The blonde woman spoke again, sharing what Jennifer had presented at the door.
"Lady Notary, may I introduce Notary Jennifer Hazelton: Childe of Joshua Homan, childe of Lady Notary Gweneth Ward; childe of Libretist James Barlowe of the line Nosferatu."

"Welcome to St. Louis, Notary Hazelton." Micha greeted. "Please, take a seat."

The blonde woman pulled out a straight backed chair for the lady and then one for Jennifer. The two chairs were sitting across from one another at a fine mahaghony table.

"Thankyou, Lady Notary Chappelle. I am grateful for your hospitality. I heard of your service to the Invictus and had hoped to learn from your experience..." Her voice squeeked to a cresendo.

"Ah, I see that you are unaccostomed to such Dread." The Lady replied, regret in her voice. "Long ago, some allies and I performed an excorcism. For vanquishing such a spirit, the Dread has latched onto me. I couldn't shield it if I wished to."

"I understand, Lady Notary. Forgive a neonate's wonder."

The white haired Shade smiled, although it was fleeting. The terrible BP 4 Beast was obfuscated; although the Dread lingered in the air like acrid smoke. Jennifer relaxed somewhat and pulled the Cloak over her young Beast.

"More comfortable?" The Lady inquired.
"Yes. Thank you."

"None required. We must not tax the Beast more than we must. Now, you brought the Oath book I requested? May I see it?"

She gets right to the point. Jennifer thought, glancing with curiosity to the unknown woman in the room.

"My ghoul, Gillian Keibler." Micha introduced.

Assured that she wasn't breaking the Masquerade, Jennifer brought up her locked briefcase onto the table. She unlocked it and placed her fine leather bound notebook onto the table. Micha picked it up and turned it over in her hand, examining it tactilely before opening it and scanning the pages.

"Not many oaths recorded here. You have not left any out?"
"No, Lady Notary. All that I have performed are there."

"Then I shall have few mistakes to correct." The Lady smiled. "Here in the library, you may call me Lady Chappelle. May I call you Notary Hazelton?"

"Thankyou, Lady Chappelle. Yes, of course."

"This oath was one you wrote for yourself?"
"Yes. I wrote it as a test for the Notary position. It was my first Invictus meeting."

"You made a play for Notary at your first meeting? Ambitious." Micha mused, her tone not positive or negative. Jennifer was an anguish deciding if she'd offended the Lady Notary.

"The most vital thing that you need to suceed, Notary Hazelton, is exposure to the Oaths. You must understand the nature and intent behind the Oath. You do not wish to misinterpret anything in your verbage. Is the Invictus population large in Sacramento?"

"It is fair."

"Then you may be needed. I would ask that you study these oaths." The Lady pressed a notebook across the table to Jennifer, placing Jennifer's own notebook with it.
"You should pay particular attention to the verbage that I used. We will meet tomorrow evening and discuss the first three pages."

Jennifer resisted the urge to count how many Oaths were recorded on the first three pages.

"You may retire to the guest house on the Estate. You will be quite comfortable there. Shall we meet at nine?"

"That would be wonderful, Lady Chappelle."

"Excellent. These next few nights will determine our working relationship, if we will have one at all." The Lady spoke sternly.
"I have many presses on my time and will not tolerate haphazard application. "

Have I already offended her somehow? Jennifer wondered.

"Yes, Lady Chappelle. I assure you, I am a dedicated student."