Mariel could barely contain her excitement. As soon as they were safely away from the crowds, she turned to the Harpy with her green eyes glittering bright.

First of all, about the boon that the Roxie woman requested: She claimed that she put her own life at risk to save Benton Black from an attack by kine. However...Benton Black did not agree to any settlement, and the Lancea et Sanctum has no corroboration whatsoever of any of the events. Mariel arched her eyebrows, clearly conveying her disbelief at Roxie's story.

Even with no evidence, we were willing to compensate Roxie to some extent, but first she asked for three blood boons, which is just ridiculous! Mariel snorts.

Our Mother Superior advised her that the Lancea could grant something reasonable, and so then she asked for two major boons, which could take up to 30 years to complete! She wanted to master two disciplines to their highest extent! Mariel rolled her eyes. That's so not happening.

Then this woman tells us that she's going to spread the story far and wide to discredit the Lancea et Sanctum's judgement in promoting such a man. I swear, if that woman could buy our church out from under us and put us all out on the streets, she'd do it!

Just between you and me, I think it was an extortion attempt, continued Mariel. But the Lancea doesn't have enough facts to judge yet, she added, with a sigh.

And here's something very few people know, Mariel continued, leaning closer to the Harpy and lowering her voice even though they are alone. Her voice quivers with excitement.

Bishop Black has been demoted to priesthood! The Inquisitors' investigation turned up dereliction of duty, and we will be inviting candidates to apply for the vacated Bishop's position. Mother advised Roxie that she will have to take the matter up with Father Black when or if he returns. He seems to be missing at the moment.

Ishani tries not to allow her amusement at the woman’s obvious love for good gossip to show, but Mariel’s attitude is infectious and Ishani finds herself completely drawn into the conversation.

“Wait a minute. Let me get this right. Roxie claims that she saved Father Black’s life, has no proof to back up her story and expects the Lancea to just believe it? Then she demands some God awful amount of boons as payment. When your Mother Superior refuses, she threatens your covenant with slander? Have I got that just about right?”

Exactly!!! But I'm sure she'll be able to tell a convincing sob story, especially if she's telling it to a man. I saw her talking with the Prince earlier for quite a while, who knows what she's saying?

”Oh don’t worry about the Prince. Roxie’s feminine ways have no effect on him I can assure you of that.” Ishani says confidently. “What concerns me is that this woman seems to think she can threaten an entire covenant without any backing on her part. That is not something we condone here.”

She frowns as she considers the situation. “I think maybe a talk on conduct might be in order for the woman. I believe I will speak to the Prince about that. Now, as for the boon, unfortunately both parties must agree that a boon is owed to begin with and they must agree on what kind of boon they are willing to give and receive. There is really little that can be done. Father Black and Roxie are just going to have to work it out themselves.”

Well, that's the conclusion Mother Superior came to. If our priest owes a debt, it's up to him to settle with Roxie. I told Roxie that I'll contact her as soon as Father Black turns up, but she's just madder than a wet hen!

I don't want to get her in trouble, or make an enemy of the woman, but I don't want her trash-talking the Lancea et Sanctum either. Mariel sighs.

Anyway, I thought that as Harpy, you should know what's going on.

"I greatly appreciate the information Mariel. I would not like to see the Sanctum bad mouthed either. It.........irritates me to think someone would do something like that for such a petty reason." The look in Ishani's eyes leads Mariel to believe this does more then just irritate her.

"I will see to it the matter is looked into and dealt with if necessary. If Roxie begins to cause any further issues for you or your covenent, please let me know. It will be handled in a prompt manner."

Mariel curtsies low, and gracefully, with her head bowed. Thank you, Harpy Naetesh. I wish you a most pleasant conclusion to your evening. She smiles in genuine gratitude.

Leaving their meeting place, Mariel feels lighter than air.

End scene.