Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
A Scaly Autopsy

Sam Skrit, Wizened, Spring Court
    Tam, Thyrsus, Mysterium

Circe, Gideon and Obsidian have arrived at Amber Hill, where they are met by Dr. Lazarus' ghoul, Harold, and taken to the Doctor's laboratory/autopsy room, where they meet Dr. Lazarus and Myrah, Dr. L having informed Myrah of the about-to-arrive guest.

Laying on the floor is a body-sized bundle, wrapped up in a tarp.

"Doctor, thank you for allowing us to use your facilities,"Circe says."I will note this to the Prince when I report our findings."

Turning to her companions, she says"I presume you are acquainted with Gideon Witherspoon of the Order of the Dragons? My other companion is Obsidian, a new arrival to the city and another servant of the Crone."

Looking at Myrah, she says "I don't believe we've met."

Dr. Lazarus does not return Circe's expression of thanks with one of 'your welcome.' Instead, he stares at the new arrivals through his expressionless white mask with only his yellowish bloodshot eyes moving. They were interrupting his work, but the prisoners did not need to be 'cared' for tonight anyway -- Wilson could handle that in the morning.

After a long stretch of silence with Lazarus only staring at his guests, he addresses Circe's question."I am not acquainted with anyone here tonight except my co-worker Madam Mieser Myrah Wells."The inflection of his low hiss of a voice makes it clear that the Warden was not expecting so many "guests."

"I appeared at the last Clan Meeting Circe."Myrah replied after Warden Lazarus. It was not really that much of a surprises, she had a habit of not being remembered.

"So tell us, what is this subject you brought here?"

Circe reaches down and single-handedly lifts the bundle, demonstrating far more strength than would be possible for a mortal woman of her build. She sets the bundle upon the table and unwraps it.

Inside is a humanoid figure dressed in ragged clothing but no shoes. Its skin looks dry and somewhat scaley, it's features flattened, its eyes widely spaced, more to the side of the face. Its teeth are those of a carnivore, not an omnivore, all sharply pointed. Its nails are long and black.

"Several of these creatures were encountered in the Ordo Dracul chapter house. Apparently they entered by some passage in the sewers. They fought the Prince, the Reeve, Priscus Ishani and many others. Gideon was badly hurt. When this one died, its appearance was even less human than is the case now... more reptilian, with long claws and larger teeth, and covered with thick scales. They have the power to obfuscate themselves from view, and to heal themselves.

"The Prince said their blood tastes highly addictive and has some qualities associated with that of the Nosferatu."

Circe turns to Gideon and Obsidian."Do either of you have any observations to add?"

Obsidian takes off her glasses and looks around the room. She does not sense the presence of any ghosts.

[Spoiler="Ghede is not with us, tonight"]
    2009-09-20 10:32:33 Obsidian (Writer) rolls 5 to Looking around (Wits+Composure) (10 Again) 3, 6, 1, 1, 3 = failure
    [spoiler]

She then steps closer to the body, looking for any recognizable clues.

((Would Int+Occult or Int+Investigation be more appropriate?))

((ST Note: Options include Int + Science, Int + Investigation (-2 penalty), Int + Occult, or Int + Medicine. Specializations in forensics, autopsy, kindred physiology, bloodlines, biology or herpetology would provide a +1 bonus to applicable rolls.))

After acknowledging the good Doctor with a nod, Gideon steps forward at Circe's question, investigating the creature. He pries the lips back to look at the gums, he takes one of the hands in his and feels the bonework and musculature, he runs his fingers along the scales.

”You're one UGly motherf.... “

Gideon studies the creature's strange mix of human and reptile features, and recalls something he once read of a legendary bloodline of vampires of reptilian nature. He doesn't recall the specific citation at the moment, but he recalls some mention of them having the ability to create "bestal servants, in the image of the Serpent".

Ith stands back and watches the Dragons explore and probe this thing that they brought into his home. The reptilian features are enough to tell that it must, at least, have some Nosferatu blood. The Warden watches as Gideon so carelessly probes the creature. You best hope it stays dead with your fingers so close to its fangs...

Before approaching the creature himself, Lazarus walks to a cabinet against the wall to get his otoscope. Device in hand, he heightens his sense of sight and begins to look through it in the creature's nose, ears, and eyes for any more clues as to what it is.

”What are you? “

((Go ahead and have Dr. L make an Int + Science check; Myrah can do the same ))

Obsidian joins in the close inspection of the creature.

[FONT=Times New Roman]
    ”poking and prodding “[/FONT

”Dr. Lazarus’ inspection”

Prodding the body doesn't reveal much to Obsidian, but it occurs to her that the changes between the creature's earlier, scalier state and this one may represent some sort of Discipline, perhaps something similar to Protean but changing the body in specifically reptilian ways.

Dr. Lazarus notices some abnormalities in the body, most notably to the jaw socket and inner ear, and an unusual flexibility to its bones. It occurs to him that each of these features resembles analogous structures found on reptiles, particularly snakes. Yet, some of the other systems are very much human. The heart looks normal, as does the digestive system.

Sam Skrit, Wizened, Spring Court
    Tam, Thyrsus, Mysterium

Obsidian steps back from the body.

"Wasn't the creature more ... scaly, earlier? Could this be a Discipline which requires activation? It could be a variation of Protean, but I wonder if it has Devotional ties to Resilience. The scales may have been some sort of armor."

Obsidian looks to the Doctor.

"Doctor, do you have a tray or basin I may use for a moment? I also require some water."

She turns to Circe.

"I have a ritual in mind that may help shed light on the matter. With your permission, I will perform it here, in front of the others, for the sake of urgency."

Circe nods, giving her approval to Obsidian's plan. She didn't mind the Dragon and two from the Invictus seeing a small taste of what Cruac can do. Perhaps this might even remind them of the emptiness of their own paths, and encourage them to consider more spiritual options.

”Science!“

Myrah notes the same thing Dr. Lazarus did. Anatomically, some of this creatures features are atypical of a human, but similar to what one sees in reptiles, while other features are completely human.

By all signs Dr. Lazarus and Myrah find, the creature's organs were functioning fine up until an hour or so previously. There is food in the digestive system. None of the vampires notice evidence of the sort of quick decay that accompanies the death of a vampire, or of a ghoul that has been ghouled for a long time.

Circe takes the obsidian-bladed knife from her side, and while chanting a brief incantation, she slices the tip of one finger, then smears some Vitae over her eyelids and around her eyes. She studies the dead creature for a time, then dabs at a bit of its own blood and brings it to her mouth, tasting it.

"I do not have so defined a palate as does Prince Clarke, it seems, but I can confirm that the blood within this creature contains some Vitae, diluted with ordinary blood. The only magical effect I detect in regard to the creature is the presence of the blood of our kind."After a moment, she says what the others have already concluded."This creature is some odd kind of ghoul, its physical transformation likely the result of the effects of a regnant's Vitae."

"I would have to agree. The only question is what kind of power a kindred would have to physically mutate his or her servents into this?"Myrah though about this for a moment, trying to come up with something that would lead to a conclusive answer.

She turned to Circe."Are you aware of any Bloodlines that would have the sort of Disciplines necessary to facilitate these sorts of trans-formative effects on either Kindred or Ghouls?"

Circe shakes her head. "I know there are reptilian bloodlines - there is one that is prominent in the Circles of my native Greece - but I am not aware of any of them being Nosferatu. As to the transformations... one hears rumors from wild places, of kindred capable of transforming their servants into beasts. I've heard of such from parts of Africa and from the Siberian steppes, but it is hard to know whether to credit such rumors." She shakes her head again. "I am not an expert in bloodlines, though, save perhaps those common among those who serve the Crone."

Obsidian gathers from the lab a scalpel, metal basin, and a faucet to fill the basin. She fills the basin about a third of the way, then places it on a counter top. Holding the scalpel loosely, she places her hands on either side of the basin and closes her eyes, focusing her will and drawing upon the powers of Cruac, muttering in a language most likely unfamiliar to all in the room.

((In Haitian Creole, “My Kindred are threatened by the unknown, through servants reptilian. Please, Legba, guide my way to the knowledge and allow Ghede to open the doors of insight. Show me who spawned this creature.”))

Obsidian slowly raises her right hand, places the blade upon her forehead, then presses and slices downward, drawing form a trickle of blood. Leaning her head over the water basin, resting her hand back on the counter, holding the blade up, she opens her eyes and shines her attention on the blood as it flows into the water. Instead of dispersing, it seems to congeal into threads, creating a tapestry of prophesy.

”10% chance of bloody friggin’ rain.”

Lazarus watches in continued silence as the witches preform their little magic tricks. They had their uses, he would admit that much. Reptilian ghouls that aren't of Nosferatu blood? The thought sounded almost disappointed. How very odd.

He couldn't help but notice how Obsidian was offered only a basin and some water, but also took the liberty upon himself to use a scalpel. For now, Ith resisted the urge to mentally reduce the Pagan to no more than a shaking pile of flesh on the ground. Those of the Crone obviously did not know proper etiquette when in someone else's home. I give them an inch, and they take a mile... But for now, Lazarus did nothing but watch.

The droplets of blood disperse and congeal, forming a pattern. The pattern is vague, but it includes two figures: letters, or perhaps numbers. It looks like two of the letter B, or perhaps the number 8.

"I, too, am peripherally aware of Bloodlines capable of such transformations,"Gideon offers,"but unfortunately, have no further information. As lines go, they are far afield from my usual studies."

He watches the two Cruac rituals with veiled interest, recognizing the power they have--a trickle though it may be, compared to the Coils.

Obsidian frowns.

Blood continues to flow from her forehead, down her nose, and into the water.

Obsidian is silent, now

””pushing for more information”

Normally, she would have started the whole process over, but in the presence of others, of non-believers, she felt self-conscious. She let the new blood flow over the old blood, something she hadn't tried before.

Remain calm. You have what you are told. Be grateful for the gift of insight.

Obsidian tries for more information and lets her Vitae flow, but the droplets of blood simply disperse the image already present, then diffuse into the water. It occurs to her that using the same water, with blood already in it, may well be the problem.

“All I can perceive is a symbol. It appears to be the letter ‘8’, or a capital ‘B’. It might even be an infinity symbol for all I know. The I suspect a dark fate is interfering with my vision.”

Closed Thread