Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(1401) Aileen and David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    C
    Casitive

David's right hand reached up, trying to fix the lay of his hair. In the low light of the court, his scarab cufflink on his right side glints. Aileen's suggestion caused David to chuckle self-effacingly with a bit of a smile crossing his features. “It's all really... elegant,” immediately he winced internally at the inadequate adjective. What he might be responding to, is likewise not clarified.

The Mortician was relieved it was Aileen he bumped into and not one of the new faces, like the devilish man who just sauntered in, or the woman in black and red. Beneath his relief, David was also genuinely happy to see Aileen.

The constant pushing and pulling of the Companion as he took in so many new Kindred at once, was enough without also having to talk to them. If David was honest, talking to Dal was intimidating enough.

How are you?” David asked glancing askance to Aileen, the ghost of his smile enduring. “There's...” turning his gaze out towards the swarming mass, “a lot more people than I last remember.”

Bigpaw

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Since she had grown accustomed to David's attire, Aïleen wasn't quite distracted by the marks of his line. Instead, she followed his gaze left and right as he took in all the flux of newcomers. She was quite daunted by it too, and was ready to share that with her Cousin.

"It's..." she said, before catching her breath as she was used to "Yes, your assessment is correct. Sacramento sees a lot of people coming and going, but even then... it's unusual in my experience." and she shrugged. It was a Change though, and she wondered whether there was something to see into it, but didn't voice her opinion.

C
    Casitive

Being only his second court, David deferred to Aileen's experience in that with a faint nod. His eyes traveled the group of people as they moved through the steps of the totentanz, before returning his attention to the conversation at hand. Minneapolis didn't see as many kindred coming and going, though there was always the 'envoys' from St. Paul who'd visit.

I guess, though,” David offers, “I'm still a new face to a lot of people.” It was as much of a verbal shrug as Aileen's own shrug had been.

A quick, Mona Lisa smile finds David's lips, with a very 'what can you do' sort of meaning.

He was thankful he did not feel the need to be overly loquacious

Still,” David says after a long moment, “I'm kind of glad to get away from my book.” A certain section had proved annoying to get down the way he wanted. Three times, the section had to be gutted and re-written. When they were presented, David was thankful for silver-linings.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Being usually as quiet as the Shadow by her side, Aïleen didn't elaborate on the ebb and flow of Kindred. It didn't mean that the various talks were lost on her, whether it was Reeve Connery, Martha, or other Dragons, but it all seemed rather hollow to her.

She raised a quizzical eyebrow when David spoke of a book. My book. As in reading, or writing ? "A boring novel ?" she asked tentatively, knowing full well he wasn't the kind to engage in meaningless readings.

C
    Casitive

David shuffles his feet slightly, a touch of self-consciousness showing through as he clarifies, “No, no, it's a book I'm writing.” Of a surety, it was taking shape but, only by degrees. “Though, it isn't ready to be called a zero-draft yet. I'm still doing the preliminary writing.” David's gaze is downcast thinking about the stack of materials gathered across two Academies that he still had to go through, as well as the interviews that still needed to be conducted.

In the furthest reaches of his mind, however, another thought sounded an alarm. That when the book is done, it would be judged by his local Academy. Speaking out-loud about it, somehow made that frightening, lingering thought real.

A brief moment passes before David hastens to add, “It's on the results of the survey I've been conducting and my theories surrounding it. I hope it'll be useful to others walking the same path.

At least, David hoped it wouldn't be a boring novel.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

In the comfortable shadows of the Night-themed nightclub, Aïleen silently nodded in a quiet acknowledgement of the information given by David. She hadn't thought much about it at first, being now free from the most brutal aggression from Sobek, but it appeared that there was a book to come from that.

"I remember your note." she said, smiling. "I didn't feel like I could contribute, but if you'd like me to read it at some point, to get an external point of view ?" she added. It was true that Teo had once adviced her to study the Coils of Hunger, so perhaps she could at least consider the option in more details...

C
    Casitive

Oh, don't worry about it,” David assured, waving away any apology, however small, with his left hand. “I think I have the material I need; I've been collecting it for a while.” Notes that filled up small notebooks and recordings of interviews from a whole host of Dragons. “It is just a matter of arranging the ideas, I think, in a clear, logical way.

Johan had once said that to actualize a facet of the Man Within is just a piece of greater understanding. David found wisdom in this and explored himself even as he looked to the future.

Aileen's offer to read the draft, was met with gratitude, “If it isn't too much trouble, Aileen, that would be great. I mean,” David adds tentatively, “when it has something approaching structure.” Scholars, like writers, are probably their own worst critics.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Since she was no writer herself - apart from her diary, of course - Aïleen wouldn't know how hard it could be to write a whole book, but she thought she had an idea, at least. The unobtrusive Mekhet nodded to her Cousin in quiet support and understanding.

"Sure. Whenever. Perhaps I could even help with the structure, if you'd like ?" she doubted he would agree though, because it was his book, and that could be close to infringing in his domain. That was why the offer was made with the utmost care and delicacy.

C
    Casitive

A grateful smile filtered through David's features at Aileen's offer. It was kind of her, but as much as he might have liked to have accepted her help; David knew it wouldn't be a good use of their time. He knew arranging the material was a journey he'd have to take alone with his thoughts, with yellow post-it notes and pens at his side.

Thanks, but I think I'll get it sorted. Most of my ideas are,” he points to his temple, “in here anyway. I just have to sit down with my thoughts and find a way to express how it all fits together.” In essence, David viewed that as the most difficult part of the whole exercise. Once done, he hoped, the words will just flow out from him. The Mortician's words are likewise made with quite a bit of consideration.

Thank you, though,” David reiterates to Aileen, appreciative.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

"You're welcome." Aïleen said while gently shaking her head in dismissal of her offer. "I look forward to reading it when it's finished, then." she finished with a smile that bared just a little bit too much teeth to be a mere kine's. Apparently, Kindred developped some habits early in their Requiem, and without even noticing it.

OOC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.