Watch

A quiet night at the coffee house

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Claire Edmonton
    Claire Edmonton

PRE

Claire pauses in her exchange with Michael to turn to the newcomer with a smile, and explain in that Manhattan accent that begged the question of why it was she needed more coffee in the first place, "No, darling, I'm not that young. I am afraid I don't recognize you, and I never forget a girlfriend. And I went to Brearley, actually."

Of all the wonderful implications packed into her rapid, pseudo-caffeinated response, name-dropping her prestigious New York prep school might slip past one not in the know, but when she said girlfriend, she did not mean the same thing Joslyn had.

"But since you are over here, please sit, won't you?"

S
    Scelesta

"Oh well, I'm sorry then, my memory must not be that good." She gives sheepish smile, taking notice of the way that Claire had refereed to girlfriends. At the invite to sit down she blushes softly.

"Let me get you and your friend a drink first." She says quite fast, and hurries off to the counter ordering 3 black coffees, not knowing what the girl drank made black coffee a smart choice since she could just add what she wanted, and as for her male friend, well its not like he actually needed it.

She carefully carries the drinks back to their table setting them down in front of them before pulling a chair up and sitting down herself.

"Well now that I've gone and embarrassed myself, my name is Joslyn, it is a pleasure to meet you both."

Princess Matamune

Claire Edmonton
    Claire Edmonton

PRE

"Thank you," Claire says to the offered coffee, despite the fact that she rather clearly had espresso already. She makes no remark on the redundancy, figuring that sometimes it was better to go with the flow. In this case, she was probably going with the flow of the effect she was having on her audience. She certainly appreciated finding someone else in this town who was both up to her standards and not rude.

"And I'm sure tt's a pleasure to meet you, too, Joslyn," she rattles off with her inherent Manhattan breathy haste, seeking precisely the right amount of eye contact to study her subject a bit but not intrude. "I'm Claire, and this fine gentleman is Michael. He was just telling me about some international research of his, if he feels comfortable sharing?"

She regards him with the confident smile that's finally settled on a particular friendly mood.

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)
    Aspect of the Predator active outside Elysia

PRE

Michael raises an eyebrow at Joslyn's suggestion of bringing more coffee. He knew she knew what he was and only Martha was allowed to bring fucking Kine food to the table as if it provided anything more than a few entertaining minutes in the bathroom later. As she turns her back and leaves for the bar, he sighs and forces Vitae to his innards. Preparing them for the two cups of coffee they are about to receive.

After the girl returns he nods at Claire's introduction and genuinely smiles at her enthusiasm:

"Thank you, but I think you are overestimating my ability to hold attention, Claire. I mean, I know you have an excellent and well-balanced education, so you may be interested, but let's ask our guest if she fancies research before I bore her to death. So, Joslyn. Any passion for things academic? And turning them into money?"
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1
    Aspect of the Predator active everywhere because Deputy
    Status(Academia) 3 (PhD Scholar)
    Sanguine Scribe of Terror
    Default Vitae: 9/10

S
    Scelesta

She looks at the table slightly embarrassed as she finally notices the coffee they had already ordered. Feeling quite grateful neither of them pointed out her error, deciding herself to just brush it aside and try to not draw anymore attention to it.

"Claire..that is a lovely name." she smiles, giving a nod towards Michael as an excuse to break the eye contact Claire was attempting while trying so hard to not look like she is being rude about.

"Actually, and I mean no offense, but I don't find it to be that interesting, I mean making money is nice and all, but "academics" can be such a bore... I just don't see what people find so fascinating by it when there are so many other better things out there, yano? But please don't let me stop you from sharing it if you want, I just cant promise I'll understand if it gets to complex of boring." She laughs lightly at the end of sentence, trying to be polite yet still express her lack of interest in "her own words" was proving difficult and requiring much of her effort.

Claire Edmonton
    Claire Edmonton

PRE

Claire laughs, trying to contain the reaction to be not too loud, and sets down the coffee she'd just picked up. "You're quite a breath of fresh air, but it does sound like neither of you wants our current conversation to continue, which means we should find another. What is it that does interest you, Joslyn?"

Anyone who didn't know her better might think her rate of speech indicated she'd been drinking espresso here all day.

S
    Scelesta

Joslyn listening to how fast Claire speaks is surprised, the woman must really love coffee... Quite glad that at least Claire hadn't been offended by her desire to change topic.

"Politics and baking mostly, though not in any order, and never together....last thing I want is politics of any," she places emphasis on the word "any" she she eyes Michael. "kind in my work place, and what about yourself, surely you must have some pretty interesting interests."

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)
    Aspect of the Predator active outside Elysia

PRE

Michael nods at as Joslyn talks about her disinterest in academics:

"That is quite fine. There is nothing more off-putting than people talking in-depth about something you hold no interest in."

The description of her interests gets a surprised smile:

"Baking? Well, that is quite interesting."

For a Kindred, surely.

"My own interests, beside academics and finance, include martial arts, computers and music. Still, I figured you for someone who works with people as a primary kind of employement. A beautiful and suave con-artist, perhaps? Just shows how wrong it is to judge people based on appearances, eh?"

That phrase has a double meaning, of course. Michael can't help but try to predict exactly how long it will take Joslyn to figure out that Claire is one of them.
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1
    Aspect of the Predator active everywhere because Deputy
    Status(Academia) 3 (PhD Scholar)
    Sanguine Scribe of Terror
    Default Vitae: 9/10

S
    Scelesta

1 suxx to follow what michaels hinting at.

"I do work with people, but maybe not in the way you thought."

She frowns nearing a pout, clearly Michael was trying to say something without saying it, and yet she couldn't figure wrap her head around just what that was and it was quite frustrating. She looks back at Claire, clearly more interested in her then in Michael.

"And what about you Claire? What do you enjoy doing?"

Claire Edmonton
    Claire Edmonton

PRE

"Politics and baking do sound good, particularly if we keep them apart to avoid cooking up trouble," Claire jokes, clearly amused by the unexpected answer.

"Oh, I also do very boring things professionally. I keep boys from burning their money on stupid bets when fortunes can be grown in a more reasonable manner. It's more nuanced and time consuming than just saying no a lot, but that is my favorite part of the job." She delivers this description of her profession with a speedy disinterest as though setting aside small talk to get down to business, rather amusing contextually.

But she seems to slow down to merely 'very fast' when she waxes about her preferred activities, saying, "I love animals, dogs and horses mostly, I fence, I enjoy strategical challenges in recreation even more than on the job, and I like long walks in beautiful places under the moonlight."

There's another breadcrumb for you, dear.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.