Ended
Watch

Lessons in the Dragon's Lair

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    B
    Beej

The haven is the basement unit of a converted industrial unit near Meadowdale Park. It's owner had begun converting the property to industrial housing when the market collapsed and abandoned the project. It remained empty, half finished until the intercession of the pastor of Saint Katherine's. The pastor convinced the owner, who happened to be a parishioner, to allow a traveling foreign monk who had been giving Greek lessons at the parish to stay on the property as a caretaker of sorts instead of a seedy motel.

The walls of the living room and attached kitchen are covered in crosses, icons and religious portraits. On the floor along the walls are large used, but unlit glass in-cased candles. The coffee table is a plywood board on cinder-blocks and on it is a small radio and wax residue from candles. Surrounding the table are piles of dog sleeping mats for sitting pillows. Up against the walls in several places are plywood and cinder-block shelves filled with books and binders. Against one wall on a cinder block shelf is a twenty two inch tv with nicks and dents around the edges and below it is a similarly worn Xbox360 and a controller.

Two the left is a room that appears to be an art studio. It is clear the money the Dragon does have is poured into it. There are easels, paints and several small tables with sundry art tools, including wood carving tools. Several incomplete icons lay on one of the tables. The door to the room on the right is closed.

Sitting at the coffee table, Teo transcribes the contents of an old weathered journal into English in a binder.

S
    Sabeleth

Having not been to his mentor's Haven before Cal was curious to see the old monk's living space. Teo hadn't said what this was all about, but it was certainly time for another of their insightful discussions on the Kindred condition. Or else maybe he wanted to take Cal up on those fighting lessons finally? Whatever it was he was looking forward to something a bit different.

Approaching the half-finished building he couldn't help but grin. There was something about the setting that fit Brother Teo rather nicely. Maybe it was just that the industrial setting made him think of a brief visit to Eastern Europe in his childhood? Whatever memory had been dredged up was soon replaced by a feeling of expectation as the Deputy eventually found the entrance and hit the buzzer.

Hmm, opium den, 60's retro chic, or pseudo-christian homage? Place bets now...

B
    Beej

After a moment foot steps are heard just before the door opens. "Ah! Callum. Come in, come in please." Teo said cheefully as he ushered the young man inside.

If Callum has a jacket, Teo will offer to take it and hang it in the side closet by the door.

Once inside and the door closed, Teo ushers his student toward the pile of sleeping mats that form the sitting area of the room. "I hope you past few evenings have been pleasant and productive? Can I get you drink? Tea perhaps?"

S
    Sabeleth

Callum gave the older man a warm smile and allowed himself to be ushered in. It was a smart leather jacket that was handed over to the monk, and Cal nodded as he looked around the place.

"Nice digs Teo. This place really suits you." Religious iconography made perfect sense. Given their previous discussions it was an interesting comment on his area of expertise, and Cal wondered what the old man would make of his own Haven.

"Sure, tea would be great thanks. Oolong perhaps, but I'm not fussy." He smirked and moved in towards the mats. "I've been researching my next Coil. Going pretty well so far I'd say. Plus getting back to my roots and re-reading the I Ching. Plus all the regular Deputy duties and working on that next Regency clue."

It was a busy schedule, but that was how he liked it. Took his mind off the deepening hole that used to contain his feelings.

B
    Beej

"Thank you. I most fortunate in aquiring them."

Shufling off to the kitchen Teo opens the cupboard and pulls out a green plastic contain and pulled the lid off. "That is wonderful to hear. Are you continuing to study the Coil of the Beast?" he asked fishing out two white pouches of tea and then turned on the burner under the kettle. A tiny sliver of fear ran through the Mekhet's body but passed.

S
    Sabeleth

Although he wouldn't say it directly Cal considered the beast to be his greatest weakness. The Coils of the Beast were the major focus of his Requiem these nights. "Yes, and I'm making good progress. Shouldn't be too long before I'm asking you to watch over my next Chrysalis." A smile was forthcoming and he settled down as Teo made some tea.

"What about yourself? Which Coil are you working towards?" They hadn't had much time to discuss such things since the Monk had come back from his appointment to become Sworn.

B
    Beej

"Ah yes, learning to control the Ride. I have seen that particular ability put to very good use." Teo smiles a little mischievously. "Wonderful way to apply Frenzy and shield one's from most of the fallout. Not that I would recommend such use of course."

Fetching two cups from the cupboard, places them on the counter near the stove. "I have made some time for the Work. Most of my attention of late has been focused on developing the abilities the Lord has gifted my line." He opens a draw and takes out spoons. "I know have the ability to Ward others against supernatural powers; be they of Blood, Shifter shamans or human sorcerers." Is that a little pride in the man's voice? "But I have working towards the first Coil of Blood. Refining my ability to process it's energy is an important step."

S
    Sabeleth

"At some point we're each going to experience the frenzy. The ability to control it seems to important to pass up. Especially when I'm supposed to be helping to maintain the Masquerade." Cal shrugged easily, he didn't like to be out of control and it was bad enough he had his Clan weakness to contend with. Easier to help tidy up any Domain problems if he knew he didn't have to worry too much about going on a rampage.

Listening to Teo talk about the powers of his blood made Callum wonder what might lie in store for himself further down the line, once his blood had thickened. "That sounds hugely useful! Don't suppose you've mentioned this to the Reeve yet have you?" That was the sort of thing that might help the man's reputation with the Court officials. Which reminded Cal that he still needed to find out just why Teo was on someone's shit-list. "Blood huh? Conservation of resources, less chance of exposure while feeding. Yeah, I see the appeal."

He also thought he'd better read up on it since he would likely be called on to stand guard over the Chrysalis.

B
    Beej

"Indeed I have. I also offered alchemical transference of Auspex as well." The kettle began to whistle and Teo clicked off the burner, much to the joy of the Serpent. "Although to outsiders we refer to the practice as form of blood sorcery." he admonishes his student. "As anyone with sufficient study and desire can achieve it, we prefer to project the ability as being as difficult and exclusive as actual sorcery." he keeps his own opinions on just how exclusive the other covenant's abilities were to himself.

Dropping the tea bags into cups, Teo pours in the hot water and slowly bobs the bags up and down in the hot water with the spoons. "The second coil of the Blood frees us of the feeding requirements imposed upon us by age. Where as most elders must feed upon other kindred or fall into torpor, students of the Blood may endure centuries longer on animals and kine as the youngest neonate do." Once satisfied the tea is ready, drops the tea bags and spoons in the sink and walks the cups over to the low coffee table.

Setting the coffee mug in front of Callum, Teo sits down across from the man and places his own on the table. "The reason I called you here to night is because as Sworn of the Dying Light and your mentor, it is my responsibility to oversee your studies are productive and on the right path. And I believe they are. However there is more that you could learn that would help you. In this regard I am able now to ensure this as Priscus of my clan." Teo explains as his demeanor becomes more formal. "I will until the end of my position as Priscus instruct you in Auspex. It is my right as Priscus and duty as your mentor. I am not asking for any compensation or repayment. If you do feel the need, you can at some later date that is up to you and whatever you feel comfortable with."

S
    Sabeleth

As he listened to the first part of Teo's response he reflected on the implications. That did open up several questions for later debate... The talk about the higher levels of the Coils of Blood was certainly of interest, but the necessity was a long way off for this younger Kindred. Still, something to consider in future, once he'd mastered his Beast.

The offer got his full attention. Auspex? Really? That was quite the offer. Cal took a few moments to gather his thoughts.

"Well now. That is quite the generous offer Brother Teo. I would be a fool to refuse." His right hand came up to his chin as he considered the possibilities, and some sort of suitable repayment. "I see I chose my mentor well." There was the hint of a mischievous smile at that and he recalled the dealing of the cards.

"I will repay you somehow, but in the meantime: when, and how, do we begin?" There was a look of determination set upon his face now. The ability to perceive the world more clearly, and to see things outwith his senses would be an invaluable tool in his Requiem. Better to get started now than regret not having done so later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.