The Barbary Coast.

Slum. Cesspit. Pit of human misery and degradation. Pustulant boil aimed squarely at the heart of the city. A rampant, self contained, infection.

San Francisco's red light district. Nine blocks of crumbling edifices and twisting back alleys bounded by Washington Street, Stockton Street, Montgomery Street and Broadway. The Coast cut like a cross section through the city, running along Pacific Avenue from the docks to Portsmouth Square. And in that iniquitous space, ill-lit by torch and lamplight, there was gambling and drinking and whoring. Darker things, too, if one read the lurid tales of the yellow press.

A slim figure ambles down the street in rather festive gaucho apparel, tasseled hat pulled low.

A dainty lady in pint and white strode through the streets with an eye out. She was clearly acquainting herself to the streets, but even so she didn't seem lost. Her step had purpose, and for such a short figure she cut through crowds easily.

Luna's attention was grabbed by the woman because she screamed prey. Not just because she was a walking bag of the yum, but in a general sense. Small and well dressed in the Coast meant either you 'knew someone' or you were slumming and were asking for whatever trouble you got. Then the Wolf howled as it rose, bile and rage dripping from it's maw as it felt another Kindred. Another beast in the little woman. Luna grimaced, yanking it's lease back before smiling slightly at the though of such a little monster. Swerving, she brought herself up along parallel to the woman but beyond arms length as to not immediately trigger a fight. Hopefully someone who can tell me something. "Hi there."

Harriet heard the approach, and with the footsteps a Beast came to her attention. An equal, Harriet's instincts tried to sir rage in her, but the tiny black women merely shifted her eyes to confirm who addressed her. She raised an eyebrow - Harriet recognized how the clothes fit onto the body from her own experience. That was definitely a Woman in the Mexican clothes. "Good Evening."

Harriet took advantage of the Women taking Parallel course, and steer them to one of the quieter streets. "I hope I did not disturb you?"

Thankfully the woman was taking the cue faster than Eva did. Luna ambled along beside her. "No no. I was hoping I could bend your ear for a few minutes." A couple passes by and Luna nods to them, as a man would. "I've moved into town and I've barely ran across any family since I've been here, at least no one whose local."

Harriet nodded "Ah, I was fortunate enough to have been saved from that predicament by a Mr. Polikarpov. I am still getting Familiar with the city, but I can direct you to some locals of note who you should endeavor to meet if possible."

Luna grinned. Finally! "You're wonder!" the warmth and innocence of the expression belied the violence the woman could unleash. Or the beings she regularly spoke with in her dreams. "Anything you can say would be very helpful." Then she thought for a second. "A drink and a bite on me? As a way of saying thanks?"

Harriet paused then nodded with a predatory smile. "That would be nice if we could find somewhere private. Now, should you get the opportunity to converse with the European Gentlemen by the name of Edward Madison who stays at the house on Hyde and Clay - do. It is said he's a Prince, and his influence among us is according to that. If you can not speak to him, you should submit your name, address, and family to Eugene McCoy, he is Mr. Madison's right hand. Cosette's Saloon might be an appropriate place to visit, if you can find it."

So Madison is the top dog. Luna refrained from grimacing, instead frowning slightly at leaving her address. She liked her independence but more relevant she was having to move again because of those Devourer lackeys. "Okay." she nodded. "Cosette's Saloon? Is that run by either of them?"

"In a way. Madame Cosette l'Arcadienne is the hostess and owner of the Salon, but her salon, only with the Dionysius Theatre, are places they would invest in for the sake of peaceful discourse and to escape the use and flaunting of personal power. The Salon would be a good place to attend to, as local sheriffs and others whom always know local happenings might be about. Becoming Acquainted with them is an excellent way to avoid trouble in the future."

There was a lot of stuff getting thrown around by Harriet and Luna only followed some of it. But about that time they rounded a corner at a particular saloon, one that Luna was becoming fast a regular. Leading the way in, she shoved a few of the drunker and slower kine patrons out of her way crossing to the bar. The bartender looked up at Luna, then her companion and then pulled a bottle of whiskey from under bar and placed it front of Gangrel without a word. He knew the drill now. Mexican 20 pieces and silver coins slide across the bar and disappeared into the man's meaty hand.

Grabbing the bottle Luna led the other kindred up the stair past several whore, one of which gave the pair a knowing look. At the second door upstairs Luna ushered her guest in and then closed the door. As it had no lock for the girls' safety, she propped a chair under doorknob to ensure security. Motioning for the shorter woman to take the other chair, Luna leaned against the window frame. "I'm Luna by the way." she introduced herself, taking off the cork out of the bottle and taking a swig. "What clan are you?" she asks waggling the bottle in invitation.

Harriet smiles to herself as Luna moves through the bar, suddenly reminded of the days following her Father doing much the same. the Bottle Purchase, the room for the night - Nostalgia was heavy in the air. She settled into the offered chair and nodded at the introduction. "Harriet - or Harry if you desire. I'll passed on the Whiskey though. I've already had one back-alley experience loosing what I've taken in this week, I'd rather not repeat it so soon." The Clan question again - "Gangrel. Yourself?"

"Same." she smiles and places the bottle on window sill. "Luna. You're a lot better than the last one I ran across, she was so prim and proper she refused to bite when I brought her hear." A little disgust or perhaps scorn in her voice. Then a name popped into her head. "You mentioned some Russian name? Pop..arpo? What's he like? Oh, and have you ever heard of a Madam Xe?"

Harriet game an amused tilt of her head at the mention of another, and couldn't resist teasing the native woman. "Mentioning Jilted lovers already?" She gave a smile and shrug to show the phrase for what it was. "Polikarpov. He's... a strong presence, much stronger and older than either of us. Something of a leader or at least well-respected among his group. Intelligent, and with a strong interest in Spiritualism. I would say he's connected to the Pennelope Society, possibly a member." Anticipating a question there she hurriedly adds, "The Pennelope Society are local Philanthropist group, all members have noted interest in what most would consider supernatural."

She paused, then frowned. "I have not yet heard of Madame Xe, but I imagine it's a matter of time considering my proximity to China Town and vested interest in learning to read my father's language."

Polikarpov sounded like someone she needed to talk to. Like he was exactly who she needed to talk to. He might know more about the Lion Who Waits. Of course there was a chance he might be the Devourer. It was a gamble but at present she didn't have a lot of options.

"Spiritualism...he knows about spirits, yes? Where can I find him and this society?" the intensity completely gave away just how much she wanted to know more about the supernatural expert.

Harriet blinked, tempted for a moment to extract a favor from her, then dismissing it in a wave of - something. She didn't understand it, but she could tell this Wolf was on the hunt for something, and the echos of the wolf left in Harriet's Tzong ngou bones ached to hunt with her. The little woman went with it. "Have you seen the Flyers for Dr. Malachai's appearance? He might be there. If not, meet me at [Adress] Early tomorrow night, I may be able to introduc you in person."

Luna's eyebrows rose when she recognized the name. "Oh yes! I saw the flyer and purchased a ticket. I am not entirely sure what the man might now but..well there's always something to be learned." How very luck things were falling into place. But is it Left-Handed hunter or Coyote?

Despite whoever was behind things, she was very pleased. "Well I can tell you the very little about Xe I know is she runs antique sales out of her gambling hall. A lot of stories from the local merchants about her. You might run into a Croele at her tables. She's like us there, named Brandi. We're pretty friendly. She's a sharp cookie."

"I'll have to start listening to the Local merchants then. And I'll keep an ear out for your friend." She paused, then raised her brows. "Antiques though?"

Luna shrugged. "There was a fancy mirror but I didn't get really close to take a look..for obvious reasons." It was dark but still, if you didn't throw the cigarette out of the train, you didn't have to worry about brush fires. "Some sort of chalice and a book. All seemed pretty old." Seeing as the book was of interest to her, she didn't go into great detail about it. "Did...Polikarpov," the name was a mouthful and Gangrel spoke three languages, "mention if he knew anything about Malchai?"

"Not clearly. We spoke of his age - Ah, Polikarpov and his companions mentioned the idea that Malachai might know something the those of us could use to further ourselves somehow. Although I was fascinated by the idea my concerns at the time were more with the social niceties of getting acknowledged properly." She sighed. "What I know of him is that he's spent sometime studying in the Eastern Asian countries. Quite extensively with a large variety of wisdom-seekers."

"Really..." Kine or not if he spent time with truth-seekers and elders then possibly anything he learned could be useful. Her teacher had talked about secrets in the 'Orient.' About wise men in high mountains and fist fighters who could turn their bodies to stone and could punch and kick so hard they could splinter trees. Perhaps he might know something about the scrolls. About their possible magic. "I wonder..." she murmured looking off over Harriet's shoulder for moment. "I can't wait to meet him." she grins, coming back to the conversation.

"I'll admit, I'm somewhat envious, I did not get a ticket earlier. Whould you be so kind as to tell me what happens there? And of course I hope you find what you're hunting for."

"Of course." A little gleam enters Luna's eye. "Speaking of which, you fancy a bite?"

(Harriet): Harriet grinned, showing the slight extra length to her canines. Perhaps not fully extended, but her fangs were there. "Oh Yes. I could use a nibble."

Smiling, launch pushed off the wall and walked across the room to the door. Deftly removing the chair she popped her head out and looked up and down the hall. Spotting the girl she was looking for she crocked her finger. "Lucky." she called sweetly, to which the girl zipped over to the door. "Mr. Bloodgood."

- fade to black -