DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Halloween. Not quite the witching hour.

The festival is in a period of transition, just like the city. In the bars and clubs catering to the Irish and the Scotch, they remember and drink to the Old Ways. On the margins, the californios and the hispanic population lay out their ofrendas and dress the tombs of their dead in funerary finery. In the Barbary Coast, one or two saloons sport pumpkins at the bar. Around Nob Hill, the well heeled allow their children to troupe out for staged managed "guising". And while the children play at ghosts and goblins, adults gather at the Chapter House of the Society of Pennelope: Spiritualists rub shoulders with Masons, rich patrons rubs shoulder with the curious...

...and journalists rub shoulders with the children of the night. And don't see what is right under their noses...

...As it should be. And always has been.

The Chapter House throbs with the low buzz of conversation as the company assembles and mingles. With some skill, a large space has been provided on the ground floor for the demonstration, filled with chairs for the guests and bedecked in banners depicting Doctor Malachai's sojourn in the Orient. Off to one side, a room has been furnished as a buffet with tempting food and drink. The crowd churns, spilling out onto the front verandah where gentlemen and their ladies take the air. Rumour swirls like the musk and incense burning from censors and braziers the Society has placed about their House, sweetly scenting the air.

"Oh what a delightful hat!"

"...Yes! They say he has spent most of his life in spiritual pursuits, learning from Brahmins and mad hermits high in the Himalayas..."

"...Corresponded with Blavatsky, so they say..."

"...Now dearest, if you're looking for eligible bachelors, you couldn't go wrong with that one. Yes, the European Gentleman. Lives with the Madisons. A Prince they say..."

"...Isn't that Mister Q'in of the Golden Teardrop. Who is that woman on his arm? Too young to be a wife? So young! Scandalous!"

"...Courtesan..."

"Ah. Bon ami! I am proud to introduce Prince Constantin Polikarpov of the Esoteric Order of the Dragon. A fellow Spiritualist!"

"...Is that who I think it is?"

"By Heavens! They actually dug up the old crone for this one, Smithers..."

"Poor fellow... Actually, as Initiate of the Third Rank, I am afraid you really do have to entertain our three ladies. Shocking I know. I've been there myself - it can be quite terrifying when all three of them are in the same room..."

"Oh my dear! You should really try some of this cake!"

The kindred who draw near will fell the pulsating power of a number of Beasts here. The circle warily and snap at one another.

This scene is a bit of an experiment: a mix of social scene and plot. At first I'm going to leave it open for player characters to mingle with the crowd, a mix of business people, the wealthy, philanthropists, occultists and the curious. Then, time willing, I'll drop in Doctor Malachai's demonstration... What happens is up to you

B
    Beej

The gangrel arrived at the house at the appointed time, in her sunday best. It was one of two dresses she owned. It was a very nice dress, from the closet of her French teacher. Looking at it almost put her in tears. Almost. But Luna knew she would want her to be strong and have a good time. In her small hand back which she holds tight is the Apache. One could never be too careful.

Drifting through the crowd giving polite smiles here and there, the way her teacher had taught her, Luna edged toward the kindred. The Wolf rose in challenge to each and every one, wishing to rip out their bones out and make a ball of their tendons. Her bit her tongue to keep herself together and violence free for a moment before closing the distance with the kindred.

"Good evening." she said, finally reaching a hopefully lady like distance.

S
    Scelesta

Eva bit her lip nervously, lightly touching her hair to be sure it was still in place. Clothes were one thing, but hair...hair frustrated her.
    She had cleaned herself up ridding her skin and hair of its usual dirt, making sure she looked as presentable as she could get. She had made sure to leave with enough time to find her way to the place and not be late.

She walked in looking around at the people, unsure of whom if anyone she should talk to, or if tonight she should just watch and see what happens, getting the feeling already this wasnt exactly what she had thought it was going to be. Finally she settles on trying to introduce herself to the local kindred something she had been meaning to do since she got into town.

As she approaches she gives a friendly smile to the other kindred, except for Luna whom she just gives a passing glance over her dress,before looking away forwning slightlyShe actually looks decent, but the color of that dress was a poor choice with her skintone.

"Hello," She says softly, not seeming to wait for a break in their conversation.

billy felt a bit odd in his brand new suit. he never went to shindings like this before and the only reason he was here right now was because Doctor fox invited him and demolished his excuse that he didn't have any fancy clothes. Brushing away the expense as a minor thing for a man like him. At least he had to admit, the suit was very comfortable and looked quite nice.

As the giant awkwardly looked around the party he could feel the beasts of other kindred inside, his own beast bellowing out a challenge in return. He tensed up slightly for a few moments, expecting the worst. But he quickly forced himself to relax. no way that they would try anything here with all those witnesses. He looked around for the kindred he was feeling. He saw two women, kindred if he was feeling it right. approach the stronger kindred in the group. He decided not to approach them just yet, looking around if he could find doctor fox. To ask for a bit of information of who was all here and who was who maybe get some introductions from him. Maybe get some last ditch lessons in etiquette as well while he was at it.
    [vtr]
    Hans
    BP:1 vitae: 3/10
    Presence:2 (stern)
    disfigurement flaw: a disgusting scar stretching from his chin all the way past is mouth and to his eyebrows. It has healed quite badly, as if somebody just stitched it close and hoped for the best.

[?

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

For Clarity I'm adding a brief list of some of the NPC's attending the Demonstration, should the characters wish to seek them out. It is by no means an exhaustive list as it is the Society is hosting a sizeable gathering.

Prince Madison (very powerful Beast)
    Constantin Polikarpov (not quite as strong as Madison)
    Paul (equal to characters)
    Kate Fowler (equal to characters)
    Lady in Black (slightly stronger than characters)

Madam Xe
    Mr. Qin
    His Young Wife
    Doctor Fox
    Barnabas Ward
    Guido di Simone
    Madam Oberon
    Elizabeth Cole
    Bonita La Fay
    Lady in Red
    Doctor Malachai

ooc

S
    Scelesta

OOC

B
    Beej

ooc

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Eva

The most powerful Beast in the room (and there was quite a few Beast's pressing down on her) belonged to a regal man, wrapped in cold dignity. He cut an unusual figure with his fresh and fashionable suit contrasting with his thick sideburns of the last century; carefully posed in relaxed disarray, he had already chosen a seat that would hide him from casual observance while providing him with good vantage of were the demonstrations would take place.

Maybe Eva lacked the ability to dissemble; maybe the Elder Beast was jaded and saw rivals around every corner; maybe it was the subtle impact of Eva's mastery of the Arts of her Clan, but the regal man's eye locked upon her as she drew near and did not waver in their stare. It felt like a great bird of prey was glaring at her from over the man's head

"Good evening. I do not recognise your face. New in town?" With a commanding gesture, he offered a seat to the woman before him.

Luna

Luna homed in on the next strongest Beast: a potent, dark, shadow. Constantin Polikarpov was talking with a knot of men and women - a society in microcosm where the well heeled rubbed shoulders with the less affluent. From the sound of things, they were in the midst of a conversation regarding "spiritual actions" and the "strange portents" that had been derived from them. As Luna approached, Polikarpov's grip on his cane tightened; then his head swivelled towards her, his eyes dark and mysterious over his pinch-nez.

"Good evening. May I help you?"

B
    Beej

"Mr. Polikarpov? I'm Luna Bloodgood, an acquaintance of Ms. Harriet." She wasn't sure if she was supposed to curtsy or not but chose to skip over it. "She said you might be the one to ask about the supernatural...beyond the usual fair." She hoped that the man got what she was trying to get at. "There is a matter I was hoping I could talk to you in private about?"

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Indeed. Miss Harriet is a... friend." Polikarpov intoned. He made a show of breathing deeply; to the Gangrel it sounded too close to a sniff for comfort. "Good friends... I must away for a moment. May I direct you to my good friend and fellow traveller, Paul. He will be most anxious to hear of your actions and will be able to assist in their interpretation. I assure you, what you pass to him shall be transmitted to me. i will be able to give your cause my full attention. Please..." Smiling pleasantly, he gently directed the Spiritualists to another Beast. Paul brightened considerably as they flocked to him; he gave a respectful nod across the chamber to Polikarpov, and a more subtle one to Luna. Then he was lost in the swirl, his group congregating around a punch bowl.

Polikarpov watched them go, still smiling genially. His features took a harder set as he laid eyes on Luna. Politely, he ushered her to spot close by the stairs, close enough to the gathering to avoid suspicion but out of earshot. "So you are an acquaintance of Harriet Calhoun. How does she fare? Speak your question freely - but make haste. He may well be watching and I know how dim a view he takes of interlopers pressing upon his Dominion. Pray, do not be wasting my time."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread