Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Night at Club Raven

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

It was around midnight when Bai Hu walked inside Club Raven, a leather jacket on her back and dark rings under her eyes. She had spent a few useless hours trying to fall asleep in the Circle's dormitory, memories of blood, foreign sand, and her slain friends mingling together in the oppressive silence of the building. She had hoped that the quiet of the sacrosanct building would calm her demons but she found it to be too austere to be soothing. Her mind kept filling the empty moments with the phantoms of her past, and her imagination, and her blood wouldn't quiet. She was too riled to sleep and finally decided that she would need people and noise to burn the hours of the night away. So she got up, slipped into combat boots, BDU pants, a tank top and her jacket before heading into the night, her Browning keeping her company, riding behind her hip.

For a while she just drove around the city, thinking about what to do, until finally her mind settled on a place to go. She had heard a few stories about a notorious biker bar in the city and decided she would give it a try. To most people, the idea of throwing an armed vet with a troubled mind into a dangerous bar was insane, a stupid idea and a recipe for disaster, but Bai didn't see it that way. The men and women inside the Raven weren't soft. They didn't need to be babysat and they weren't blind to the place of violence in the world. They lived at the edge of society, at the brink that Bai felt herself treading on, and those were the kind of people she wanted to be around now. Ironically, after serving her country for almost seven years, she felt like she had more in common with criminals. Smiling darkly at the thought she threw a weave of protection around her, to ease her mind, and ordered a double Jack, neat, from the bar. Looking around the room she felt a bit out of place but much more comfortable than if she'd been in a nightclub or sports bar. She settled into an empty corner table where she could enjoy her drink.

Unseen Aegis Active + OOC

J
    Jaling

The day for Kalemleah hadn't been a horrible one, but having recently had to discuss his past reasons for coming to this city he wasn't in the mood for staying at home. He tried a quick but exhaustive workout while home to empty his mind and exhaust his body, but the memories were too recent and too persistent. He would need a hefty couple of drinks tonight to get any measure of sleep. Looking in his cabinets he quickly realized that his last bottle was dry and there wasn't a drop left in the house. Cursing his luck he changed into some jeans and a sleeveless shirt, threw on a couple spells (which caused their own frustration) and pulled some cash out of his wallet. It had become the practice to leave his ID at home in case someone got a little too handsy and wanted to know his name. Grabbing his keys and walking down to the parking lot he fired up his hog and headed out.

Seeing the bar as he was driving past, it looked like a seedy enough place that the same group he had come across before probably wouldn't show up here. Parking his bike at the end instead of in the middle where the rest would be admired, Kalemleah walked in and had to do a double take. In the corner was a woman he hadn't seen before sporting her very own spell. Last time he was in this situation it caused more grief than it was worth. But still, he owed it to his boss to either get intel or make friends. Walking up to the bar he grabbed a stool and got the bartender's attention. "Double Bushmills. Straight. Also a glass of water." He would wait and see what she did in reaction to his presence. If that spell was one of sight, she would have no doubt noticed him already as well.

Incognito Presence 1 Succ/Third Eye Failure then 5 succ
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-09-30 18:37:47 [02] Kalemleah rolls 5 to cast Mind's Eye (Gno+Mnd+HS) (10 Again) 8, 10, 9, 8, 10, 2, 2 5 successes
    2013-09-30 18:37:47 [01] Kalemleah rolls 5 to cast Mind's Eye (Gno+Mnd+HS) (10 Again) 2, 4, 7, 1, 6 failure
    2013-09-30 18:36:59 Kalemleah rolls 6 to cast Incognito Presence (Wits+Sub+HS) (10 Again) 9, 3, 5, 6, 6, 2 1 success

Bai Hu took a sip of the whiskey and let it rest in her mouth, savoring taste. She never used to like whiskey, but the memories of her dead mentor were restless tonight and it felt fitting to order his namesake. The amber liquid seemed to still his ghost anyway. Leaning back in her chair, she surveyed the bar, eyes passing over Kal and most of the other bar patrons. Club Raven couldn't be called quiet, but it seemed to be a tame night if the stories were even partially true.

J
    Jaling

A few minutes had passed and she hadn't paid any extra attention towards him. Which meant both his spell was working and she didn't have a spell of sight enchanting her. Either that or she was really good at hiding her observation. In his mind he went over a couple ways to handle the approach, but in the end he hated dicking around and preferred the direct approach. If it got him shot or stabbed then he wouldn't have to worry about getting to sleep tonight which would always be a plus. Getting a bottle of Stella's and his drink he walked over to Bai's table and set the bottle down to get her attention. "Was looking for a drinking partner and saw that you didn't have one either. Mind if I join? Could be a good distraction from whatever is making you drink something that stiff this time of night." Upon closer inspection, although his arms were toned enough to show strength, they were bare of any tattoos anywhere on their surface. That combined with his mild scruff and mild apparel shows that he isn't the normal crowd here either.

5 Suxx to convince he's a good distraction
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-09-30 23:35:46 Kalemleah rolls 5 to Man+Per (10 Again) 9, 3, 10, 10, 6, 8, 9 5 successes

The Arrow was simply people watching but when she caught sight of Kal coming towards her table her eyes on fixed him, studying him as he approached. When he set the bottle down she quirked an eyebrow but then gave an amused snort after his offer.

"Sure, have a seat. You don't go to a bar if you want to drink alone. That's what liquor stores are for," she joked, gesturing at the seat across from her. "You can call me Bai."

J
    Jaling

Smiling at the irony of her statement he slid the still sealed green pop-top bottle over to her. "Thanks. Wasn't sure what your choice in poison was, but still have yet to run across someone that can say no to an Artoise. Name's Kal by the way. You new in town?" Taking a seat as the designated spot at the table he took a stiff sip of his own.

"Good to meet you, Kal," she replied nonchalantly, raising her drink in a small salute before taking another sip. She set her glass down, slowly turning it between her thumb and forefinger, ignoring the Artois for the moment.

"And yeah,"Bai Hu continued, "I'm not a local. Really more of a tourist at this point but I'm working on finding a job and a place to settle in. How about yourself? You don't really seem to have the local flavor, either. You're missing the requisite jacket, after all," she pointed out, tapping the sleeve of her leather outer layer.

J
    Jaling

Kalemleah chuckled at that one and gestured out to the rest of the bar. "They don't seem to mind." Settling back in his seat and taking another sip with a grin. "Truth is, I tend to blend in wherever I go. I mean, admit it. You couldn't pick me from the crowd until I approached you despite my apparel." Pausing to allow for a reply he looked about to make sure no one was close enough to hear what he said next. Keeping both hands on the table and remaing both still and calm he spoke the following in a low tone. "By the way, I hope this doesn't spoil the evening for you. But it looks to me like you're wearing a second jacket. Was that your intention?" His eyes trailed just above her head and shoulders as if watching something flutter above her before going back to her again. He hoped she wouldn't knee-jerk in response, but it was tough to say with some people.

"I didn't, that's true," Bai Hu agreed simply, nodding at his first comment, but his second gave her pause. It was a good reminder of just how off her game she was tonight, and she mentally kicked herself. It was stupid to put on a spell without adding eyes to it. It was painting yourself and then walking around with a blindfold, and it was doubly stupid because she wasn't even familiar with the lay of the land yet. She took a slow breath and her glass froze in its rotation between her fingers, but she tried not to show her discomfort. Kal probably wouldn't have said anything if he held any ill will, so while it was a mistake, it didn't seem to be a big one. Something to note, but not dwell on.

"No, it wasn't my intent, it just happens sometimes," she finally snarked, and then gave a shrug. She wasn't in the best mood, but she didn't want to take it out on someone else. "You can't be too careful," she amended. "But, now that you've got a look at me, mind if I return the favor?"

J
    Jaling

Nodding along Kalemleah was just relieved that she knew it was on her. Last thing he needed to come across tonight was a sleeper who didn't know they had been messed with. At least at this point his work for the evening could almost be considered over. "I don't mind at all, but I have to say if you are going to put your contacts in I suggest you use the restroom to do it. There are those in the city that don't care for a public show, no matter how discrete." He had learned that one the hard way and figured it would be something good for new people to know ASAP.

Raising a single finger from the table before she leaves, "Just one thing before that though, if you don't mind. Who was your point of contact when you came into town?" Just in case she took this opportunity to discretely leave, he would like to know if she had any ties. Once she gave that information he would gesture in such a way she would know she could leave to go place her sight.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread