DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet took interest in Kate's description of the meeting to be had and nodded. This Society of Penelope was sound most fascinating. And Cormac's following comment brought out a amused smirk and nearly a laugh - but she managed to hold that back somewhat, instead taking a calculated sip of her wine. Speaking too soon might cut off better information.

"That is quite intriguing... though there's a noticeable lack of evidence one way or another regarding how they reached their accomplishments. It seems best to trust your own senses on that matter over rumors... let alone appearances." She raised a pointed eyebrow with that last bit, careful not to direct it in Cormac's direction. She couldn't quite tell if the large man actually believed what he said, most likely considering the reactions, or if he'd been using sarcasm to point out the possibility.

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

The conversation fell into a lull once more as the company cleaned their plates.

"Do you have anything planned?" It took a moment for Harriet to realise that Polikarpov was addressing her. He was aligning his knife and fork just so with dainty movements and nimble fingers.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet paused, not sure to when he was referring.. "Do you mean tonight? I was hoping to leave my calling card at Hyde and Clay." That was still in fashion, yes? Harriet had been seeing less of the cards recently, but they had still been in use among the circles her Sire called upon, so it would be fairly safe to assume that any wealthy and powerful individual would keep up the habit until such a thing was well and truly dead.

"As for the night of the Penelope Society's event, none yet."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Polikarpov nodded as if satisfied. "Leave your calling card, yes. That is the way he likes it. Polite and genteel." After that he lapsed into composed silence, waiting while the rest of the company cleaned their plates.

The meal is winding down to its inevitable conclusion. Should Harriet have any further questions to ask, now is the opportune time

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

"Are there any other particularly influential individuals I should concern myself with meeting?" The emphasis on he implied someone very high up on the social ladder - maybe even the prince himself - but having some idea of regents, hounds, reeves and deputies would be to advantage.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

"Ah, and I would not wish to make any mistakes when Leaving my card at hyde and Clay. Whom should I say it's for?"

9. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

For a time, Polikarpov seemed to stare at Harriet above his glasses.

"Edward Madison is the man you seek. Eugene McCoy acts as his voice in most matters, so if you are unable to contact Mr. Madison, seek out Mr. McCoy. Once you have obtained an invitation to the Isaac Graham club you will no doubt be able to make the acquaintance of the other... worthies... who hold sway in this place. Clay Hamilton, of whom you have heard, is the friend to all who think themselves unconquerable. Should you wish for an evening of gentle entertainment I would suggest Cosette l'Arcadienne: she maintains a salon [at the place near Nob Hill] or at the Dionysius Theatre [here]."

He listened carefully to Harriets second question, a small smile breaking out on his face. "Well thought. Mr. Madison allows himself to be kept in some style at Hyde and Clay. He is not the master of the house, however. In order to avoid trifling embarrassment I would suggest you inquire after the European gentleman, or the European Prince who is staying with the family."

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet raised her eyebrows at Mr. Polkarpov again taking his time to look at her. He seemed to be doing that an awful lot, and Harriet could not quite place what the expression meant. She hoped, fervently, that if it was surprise it was a pleasant one. Though it was increasingly obvious that he was not Unconquered, so perhaps her obvious training by such a person was grating.

Thankfully, he answered that question, providing her with other options to seek out as needed. Well, perhaps this wasn't going as badly as she feared. "Thank you. You've been extraordinarily kind this evening. If there's anything I can do for you in kind, I hope to be of service." She held up one of her calling cards and a pen - an offer to give him her address should he opt to mail her anything. She glance to the other three, prepared to give them one of her cards as well.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Polkarpov raised an eyebrow, then burst into a faint, but pleasant smile, as Harriet offered her calling card. "Why, thank you," he intoned. He produced a card of his own in response. "Please, take this. If you have any trouble at Hyde and Clay. Or indeed, at the Isaac Graham club should you receive invitation, show that. It may give a newcomer such as yourself a certain weight that can assist you."

"There is no need to thank me. You have given myself and my companions a wonderful evening. I hope that you, in turn, have been entertained. If you have any further questions, please, do seek me out. You have my card."

"You should seek out Cosette. I'm sure you would do well at her salon." Kate Fowler added carefully. She relaxed when Polikarpov did not reprimand her.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet smiled at the exchange of cards. She would have to be Careful with Polikarpov's name - she did not want to cause any embarrassment to him or falsely imply that he was sponsoring her. "I have, yes, and should I have questions I will." Madame Fowler's advice Earn another of Harriet's smiles. "Thank you Madame Fowler. I shall take the time to do so."

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread