DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

"I agree on both counts. This is a splendid place, and it's always a tragedy when one of our conditions forget themselves." She had witnessed one in Frenzy once, admired the force and danger they displayed. It was not something Harriet had any desire to be in the midst of. And although that was not truly the slipping of appearances Polikarpov and herself spoke of, it could easily be a consequence of that. It also let her know: they would be dining on human food. That was important.

Harriet noted each companion as they joined, wondering briefly if the burly redhead's interest was merely surprise, or that of an Elder measuring a child. Either way, the lack of examination from the last two to arrive was most likely because the first two had not attempted to remove her.

She smiled at them all durring her introduction and gave a feminine giggle at her introduction. "I would not claim to be of any real road. And much to my consternation I was rather stationary for more of my life than I would have liked." She kept that short, letting the other four figure out questions to direct her story. Better to avoid talking about herself for too long.

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

The meal carries on at a leisurely pace, as much for show as a means for prolonged conversation. Perhaps Polikarpov has manipulated a test in the event - a challenge to act or remember the art of conversation, the taste of a meal, and the sense of community that happened around a table.

After the introductions, Polikarpov appears more interested in drawing out his fellow diners knowledge of the Society of Pennelope and the mysterious Doctor Malachi. Hiding behind an enigmatic smile and a wine glass, he let his guests ask the questions for him.

"Where are you from?" That was from Kate Fowler, almost immediately upon begin to eat. Cormac the burly celt watched and waited from the sidelines.

"Have you been in the city long?" That was from Cormac who jumped in just as Harriet finishes her conversation with Kate.

"Do you have an interest in Spiritualism?" That from monocled Paul, after he had expounded a lengthy monologue on the Doctor's erratic corpus. When he spoke, Harriet felt the full weight of the dinner guests as they waited for her answer.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

The simple fare had some benefits, namely that it did not require her to use the strictest manners she had been taught as she cut, chewed and swallowed the food. Still, conversation was easier than forcing the food to stay down, so she was more than pleased answer their questions. "Las Vegas, New Mexico. Though I've spent most of my life in Maryland being tutored in various subjects... generally whatever my sponsor felt I should know." Mostly languages and proper etiquette.

"I'm quite the recent arrival, actually. This is my first night out."

"Not exceptionally, no. I'm mildly curious, but I never had a reason to pursue that curiosity until now. This Dr. Malachi is sounding fascinating."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Conversation flowed back and forth across the table.

"Your sponsor sounds like a goodly sort," Kate Fowler commented, lifting her glass. "Did they have a specific goal with your tuition?"

"My! You are lucky! Took me a full month to get an... interview..." Cormac replied with a sidelong glance. "Put my foot right in it, I did! If you are looking for decent lodgings I'd recommend the Mermaid Saloon. Clay Hamilton might have a low cunning, but he is unconquered in business and he knows how to swing deals to our advantage. He can set you up, if you don't mind owing a few small favours down the track... what!? Its true, I tell you!" The burly celt glares with mock shock at a face pulled by Kate Fowler. Behind it all, Constantin Polikarpov stirs fitfully.

"Ah! You have found us a convert?" Paul glances over at Polikarpov, who raises an eyebrow in an enigmatic fashion.

"Miss Calhoun and I have only just met," intoned Polkarpov. "Tell me, Harriet, what is about the good Doctor you find fascinating?" The Russian took the initiative and moved before Paul could speak.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

"He Focused largely on Languages and Etiquette, as he had done a fair amount of work as a translator by the time he took me on. He was trying to achieve Present-ability, in a word." Her sponsor had also taken extra time with that education, trying to get her well and beyond the fairer young ladies presented in Court. Only by utterly trouncing the expectations set for her would she gain half the respect she deserved. That was the way of things for now.

"It is good that he is such a talented business man. My sponsor would heartily approve my meeting him." Harriet paused, unsure of conveying that he was also among such people. "I would dare say that My Sponsor had spent so much on my etiquette lessons for just such meetings and business."

Paul and Polikarpov's statements confused her, briefly. "Largely that he's been able to move about so completely. It was difficult to travel here even, though I suppose the Land Route could have eased one difficulty in exchange for exasperating another. Although I haven't had much chance to do so since my sponsor took me in... I loved travelling as a young girl. you see, even then I had an uncanny knack with animals, and my father and brothers ended allowing me on drives with them. Especially since I've always been quite small and light. A horse could carry me and a small heel-biter all day without once tiring." She gave a soft dreamy smile, clearly lost in recollection.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Just head back down the street to the docks and turn left [here] and [look for this building]. The old saloon is half buried a pile of other buildings - terrible planning. They all blended together, if you see it." Cormac eyed his companions carefully as he spoke, daring them to comment. "It is a safe place if you're new to town. Say what you like about Clay Hamilton, but he does have a strong sense of... hospitality. And he makes a good brew!" Polkarpov raised an eyebrow; Kate Fowler scoffed and Paul coughed politely behind a napkin.

"You sound like you've had quite a life," Kate spoke quickly as Harriet drifted into silence. "Its sounds like it was truly wonderful. I was raised in the country too, but my upbringing was much more cosseted." She smiled warmly and ate a portion of rare meat, glistening red.

"Indeed," Polikarpov responded simply to Harriet's answer.

Paul looked like he was trying to figure how to wrest back the conversation.

A silence descended on the company - a natural lull in the conversation that allowed the hubbub of restaurant to enfold them.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet let the silence exist as is would, and then took pity on Paul, "Admittedly a portion of my interest in Dr. Malachi is that the two of you seem particularly interested in his arrival. Also, I'm rather curious, what reputation does Mr. Hamilton have to require such defense?"

10. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Mister Hamilton has a way of... using people... who take advantage of his hospitality for a time. He is a very good collector of debts, yes? Very good." Polikarpov replied with a sudden force in his voice, his eyes slithering from Cormac to Harriet and back again. "It would be wise to consider such a reputation before you have... speech? Before you have speech with him, yes."

"Well, he never asked anything directly damaging or dangerous of me..."

Paul coughed into his napkin and Kate Fowler ducked, smiling, behind her glass.

Laying down his napkin, Paul turned to Harriet. "He is a spiritualist of some caliber who has not been seen outside of the Asian continent for many years. This is his first sojourn in the America's and given his age, it might be his last. I speak for all of us when I say his presence must be acted upon. I for one would very much like to see a demonstration of his powers and insight."

"He has been taught by dervishes, Taoist hermits, guru's and other holy men. He may be in possession of techniques that may even be useful for us." Kate Finishes, running a finger around the rim of her glass. There is speculation in her eyes as she adds to Paul's reply, but her address was aimed squarely at Polikarpov.

The Russian made an enigmatic face.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet nodded at Polikarpov's assessment, and let her lips curve upwards into a sharp smile. "That is to be expected. Such a business man wouldn't let an opportunity for profit slip by." She didn't need his hospitality anyway. She had already gotten a functioning haven as is.

"Really now? That's fascinating. I was largely under the impression that such a people tend to be charlatans... But if he truly has skills that could be used to our advantage... That is something worth making a fuss about."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Exactly!" Paul replied ambiguously, warming once again.

"Oh there should be other Spiritualists there too," Kate Fowler added sincerely. "Even if he proves... unsatisfactory... the chance to gather with others who have similar interests could always bear fruit. As far as I am aware, the Society has grown slowly over time. This is the first significant thing they've achieved - apart from convincing an elderly robber baron to bequeath them his house."

"I sure would love to know how they managed that! None of 'em look like fraudsters..." Cormac muscled in, gobbling his remaining food hurriedly.

Kate glared across the table. Paul pished quietly as he carefully attended to the last remnants on his plate.

"Indeed," Constantin answered enigmatically. "They say it came down to a conversation between the old man and Madam Oberon, da? Most intriguing as the woman is reputed to have lost her wits. Yet how then, could an aged lady in her... infirmity... achieve such a windfall? Curious, da?"

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread