DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Harriet is able to recall the following:

Dr. Amadeus Malachi is a renowned Orientalist scholar and dedicated spiritual adventurer. For many years he lived in the Far East and India, writing monographs on local cultural practices and trekking to distant kingdoms in search of spiritual guru and mystical secrets. He has made a habit of disappearing for years at a time, which has not helped him in establishing a career in academic circles. This must be the first time he has set foot in a Western country in some twenty years, at least.

As far as Harriet can tell, the Society of Pennelope is some sort of Masonic organisation. She didn't hear anything about it till she got to the West Coast so it doesn't have much of a reach. Most of its members are wealthy and have reputations as philanthropists and spiritualists.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet gave a small hum of curiosity. Considering the connections to Spiritualism, one never knew how aware those types were of reality "Dr. Malachi... it's been something like Twenty Years abroad for him, has it not? Between his reputation as a spiritualist and the Society's, I am most curious to see how well he's aged. If it's anything like I have, then I hope he's speaking to the Appropriate Audience." It was important to keep the Masquerade in tact...

"After those concerns I would be most curious about his travels. I have quite of a weakness for travelling myself - How I found myself here." But the idea of spending Twenty years travelling as Kindred was exciting for it's danger. Such a Trip would be delightful. A smile curled her lips.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Constantin Polikarpov seemed to be sizing up the weaker Beast.

"Indeed," he said. "I too would like to make this Dr. Malachi's acquaintance. As a Spiritualist myself I would like to hear what he has to say. Could I presume that you too profess an interest in the spiritual arts, Miss Calhoun?"

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet felt his observances and didn't object. Well, that was an interesting question. She had been taught the most practical and relevant aspects of the supernatural, but had no instruction regarding spiritualists... Other than it generally being wise to avoid Seances. "Not so much. I've never had much exposure to them, nor were they forbidden. My studies simply never extended that far."

Well, that, and her Sire was rather forgiving of her making mistakes, provided that they did not become threats to the Requiem or public embarrassments.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

At first, it did not appear that Constantin was fully listening. His attention was on the wall, where he selected another poster advertising Dr. Malachi and carefully removed it. As he finished, however, he turned back to Harriet with his full attention. He paused as if sizing her up once more, and then:

"Would you be interested in dining with me, tonight, Miss Calhoun? I take a table regularly at this restaurant. And I would be much interested in your travels, if you were to tell me your story."

As he spoke, he gestured slightly with a hand, pointing out the restaurant - the one whose wall was the public advertising board, daubed with the markings of kindred territoriality.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Harriet felt a twitch of muscles on her back, as she corrected her posture under the pinning force of his gaze. She would give him the respect that was due, but she wasn't going to allow herself to wilt under his gaze. On the other hand, with this Restaurant being Invictus Territory... He was either friends with the Covenant or part of it. That seemed like a good stable place to enter into things, considering she knew how the Invictus worked at least.

"That is a most gracious offer, Mr. Polikarpov. I will accept, I have yet to Dine this evening anyway. Though, I must warn you that perhaps my story is less entertaining than you're expecting." She gave a small smile, and waited to follow his cue, whether it be to enter first or after him.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Da. This is good." Constantin smiles and offers her his arm, indicating that they are to enter together. "You shall tell me your story, and perhaps I shall tell you a little of mine. And you shall sit with me and my friends, who shall also, no doubt, be glad of your company for this evening."

The pair walked sedately into the restaurant, which seemed to be expecting Constantin Polikarpov but perhaps not his dusky skinned companion. It mattered not: at first Polikarpov simply appeared to ignore the glances and surprised looks. When the wait staff's rectitude finally breached his calm, a few short barks in Russian and reptilian glares from over his Pinch-Nez worked wonders. A table was swapped and relaid, an extra meal put up.

"Now we are here," Constantin said at last with a sigh. True gentleman, he offered Harriet a seat first, ensured she was comfortable, then sat himself. "Please select something from the wine list. It is small, but serves well enough. We are waiting on a few more. They will be arriving shortly."

It was true: the table had been swapped because it was round and served four. The new table was rectangular and arranged so that it could serve five. Well lit by a mix of electric and gas light, the table was away from the windows but close enough for the diners to catch a glimpse of the street outside. Constantin busied himself by carefully arranging his captured poster in the middle of the table.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

The small woman hadn't quite expected that, but she accepts his arm and walks in. Of course, the staff would find her presence as a guest odd, they wouldn't have the senses to tell them what she was. That was something Harriet was used to however. She made a mental note to acquire a finer gown for Calling upon Hyde and Clay to avoid similar confusion.

As she settled down she glanced over to her host and gave a small polite smile. "I'm quite pleased so far. They didn't try to turn me away or accuse me of trying to impersonate anyone." Oh, that had happened often enough, even when it had been well-known whose Childe she was. Besides, it is always best to keep the Herd well-ordered. A bit of shouting was only to keep them from blindly running off of a cliff. A reward, either from herself or Polikarpov, would only emphasize that.

She looked over the wine list, and seeing something that seemed familiar, tapped it with certainty. Decision made, she would have that.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

With polished ease, Constantin Polikarpov drew the attention of the wait staff and ordered her selection.

"A good choice, yes? I find that this restaurant does very well for its modest means. Its people are professional and it is well situated. Always a good choice for the early evening. One must keep up appearances, yes?" The stronger Beast smiled pleasantly from across the table, an opening sortie in small conversation to while away the time while the other guests arrived.

And arrive they did. A burly celt with flaming curls and a working man's peaked cap, who seemed very interested in Harriet. A tiny, thin, man who leaned on a walking stick, who elected to ware a monocle and wore a fine suit, finer even than that of Constantin himself. Last to arrive was a well dressed woman with a large hat and a fashionably tight bodice.

"I present to you Miss Harriet Calhoun of the road," Constantin said at length. He gestured at Harriet with practiced ease. "May I introduce you to Cormac, Paul, and dear Kate Fowler. And now, the evening meal!" With another gesture he had the meal bought out - a simple fare of rare, bloody, meat and four vegetables. "Let us discuss our new friend, here... and this..." With a flourish, he tapped the poster.

Rather than narrate the minutiae of the meal, let us concentrate on the key conversations that Harriet focusses on. I'll leave it up to Harriet to decide how involved she wishes to become. As one would expect, the little company will show some interest in the Gangrel before they focus their attention on the poster, and the discussion shifts to the impending arrival of Dr. Malachi.

It should be noted that the other guests also have Beasts. In such close proximity, Harriet can sense that Kate Fowler and Paul carry a Taint comparable to her own. Cormac's is stronger still but is nothing compared to the weighty black shadow that envelopes Constantin

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread