DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)
    Aspect of the Predator active outside Elysia

PRE

Key

Michael isn't one to forget his promises, but he also doesn't like to interrupt his routine as well. So he has called Catherine to ask her to come to where he is this evening. Besides, the place provides near-perfect security when it comes to the risk of someone overhearing their conversation.

The building itself is an old structure with thick walls. The door that Catherine was told about isn't closed, and after opening it the sounds of music will start to be heard. The stairs lead downward, to a basement that was converted into a recording studio: with modern equipment, wooden surfaces and excellent sound isolation. The place looks to be quite high-class.

The studio

In the middle of the studio, Michael sits on a chair and plays an Irish jig on his panflute with eyes closed. He seems lost in the process, sometimes screwing up his timing, wincing as if he's in pain and starting all over again.

Make some music
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-07-13 12:49:26 Michael Redfill rolls 5 to play an irish jig (Pre + Expr + Equipment bonus) (10 Again) 5, 9, 5, 4, 7 1 success
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1
    Aspect of the Predator active everywhere because Deputy
    Status(Academia) 3 (PhD Scholar)
    Sanguine Scribe of Terror
    Default Vitae: 9/10

Catherine Keyes

PRE

Catherine followed the sound of music as she walked and after hearing the music she recognized to a point on an instrument not made for it she stopped and waited.

That was interesting.” it was all she really could say.

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t fantastic either; especially since the tone was entirely incorrect because of the lack of tinwistle.

Anyway, I am glad that you were willing to meet with me Dr. Redfill.” she said as she shut the door silently behind her.

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)

PRE

For a few seconds Michael looks startled as his eyes wildly search the room for something, glossing right over Cathering as if she isn't there.

Right, no Beast. Sneaky, tricky Mekhet.

Having calmed down a bit, the Doctor stands up, lays his panflute on a nearby piano and offers Catherine a handshake:

"You startled me a little. Good evening, Miss Keys, please, sit down", - Mike motions her toward one of the chairs and proceeds by locking the door and leaving the key on a small table near it. Then the doctor picks up his instrument and retakes the place where he practiced. He turns the flute in his hands showing the craftsmanship to his guest. It is clear that the panflute was made by hand. The quality is amazing and there are slight signs of wear.

"A great instrument, and more suited to Irish music than you might think based on that performance. I'm afraid I"m not much good yet, which is precisely why I play those exercises. But I can recommend something worth to listen to if you are ever interested".

He then lays the flute on his lap and leans somewhat closer to Catherine, folding his arms on his chest:

"But you didn't come here to listen to me ramble about my hobbies, have you? Though, I guess, that would be extremely flattering", - he flashes a bright smile, - "Anything in particular you wanted to discuss?"
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1

Catherine Keyes

PRE

Catherine gave something of a half bow and half nod to the Scholar. “I do apologize, I had no intention to.” She specifically waits for Doctor Redfill to finish locking the door and his approach again before taking a seat in tandem with him.

It is a fascinating instrument, I prefer harp and tinwistle myself.” she spoke with a look of genuine interest on her face and her fingers laced together, palms upward on her uncrossed legs.

Although I am fascinated about your hobbies, I have been seeking out those of the Ordo Dracul.” She pronounced that particular name with something of a slavic accent. “As you might have guessed, I am currently unbound, and have been invited to look more closely into the ranks of the dragons as a step to perhaps finding a place for myself among them.

The information was the presentation of a suggestion; whether or not the Doctor would take it was his own prerogative.

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)

PRE

Michael smiles at her:

"Ah, it's no trouble. I just need to be a bit more attentive when I leave the door open."

He considers something as she talks about hobbies before replying:

"Well, maybe we could play together sometime? In about half a year when, hopefully, my lack of skill won't drag you down", - he knew that Catherine spoke of herself as a dancer, but her musical inclinations were news. Still, he imagined that one who devoted a lot of time to arts, would be better than him.

The benign expression stays on his face as he hears the reason for her visit:

"I thought so. Heard something about you talking to other members of our Covenant a while ago. So, what would you prefer: first your questions and then - my best sales pitch, or vice versa?" - the smile becomes considerably broader as he says this.
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1

Catherine Keyes

PRE

In the future perhaps,” she said with a wave of her hand, the Doctor wasn’t the only one who needed to brush up on their skills with instruments, it had been long enough for her.

It is much easier if you could give me a pitch, if you do not mind.

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)

PRE

Michael nods:

"Then you should get comfortable: I tend to ramble a bit.. Lecturer habit." - he shrugs his shoulders, indicating that it's kind of a weakness he doesn't particularly have a problem now.

"I wonder if you know the difference between magic and yoga in the Kine Occultism?" - obviously, it's a rhethorical question, as Michael goes on without waiting for a reply, - "Basically, if you include monotheistic religion, there are three main paths to freedom and spiritual enlightment. The first is obedience to the tenets of some superior being. Monotheistic religions and cults are really big on this: you do your duty, follow some tenets and in time you become free both from your own flaws and the pressure of the outside world. Although this path ultimately leads to the same place, it is by no means pleasant: the doctrines need you as an instrument fulfilling the will of some god, not a free-thinking happy person."

He pauses for a long breath. Although dead, the doctor still needs air to talk.

It is the most peculiar feeling, to dry up during a conversation. When you don't need oxygen, but do need something to speak. I wonder what I sound like with water in my lungs.

Brushing off idle thoughts, he continues:

"Somehow I don't think this first path is for you, and we don't offer it. The second path is magic. In magic the individual shapes themselves and becomes free by increasing their power over the outside world. You gain more and more knowledge and power, and if it doesn't destroy you then it makes you stronger, wiser and, hopefully, happier. This path is neither quick to give you power over yourself nor safe, as the power consumes, tempts you to devote yourself fully to occult pursuits. This also isn't what we offer."

Another inhale, another few sentences:

"And then, there is yoga. It is a method focused inward, on improving and changing your body and spirit. It doesn't particularly care about power over others or riches, only in the part necessary to practice without interruption. And it exists solely to free you from your flaws and weaknesses and to help you achieve perfection."

The doctor smiles:

"This is what the Ordo is all about: power over our condition and over ourselves. Each in our own way, we study Change and we overcome parts of the curse. But it's not so much about being able to drink blood less often or exert control over the Beast with a simple effort of will. It is about knowing that despite undeath we still control ourselves, our destiny and have others willing to assist us on this path", - he looks at Catherine carefully, checking if she is sleeping with eyes open.

"So this is about as far as I can go with talking by myself. Well, there is also the fact that each member picks their own method for studying change: I research major shifts throught the course of human history, Brother Raluca studies mysticism, some get their data and inspiration from observing dive-bars", - he looks into the dancer's eyes, - "So. How did I do? I assume you have questions?" - Michael watches her with curiousity: the thing was, he knows that she is considering joining, but doesn't know what tempts her. It's difficult to give a proper speech when you don't know what the audience wants.
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1

Catherine Keyes

PRE

Well she had told him she didn’t mind the monologue, but by the Goddess that was something rather long for a man who doesn’t necessarily need the Oxygen to breathe. The breathing in was fascinating though, just the fact that watching a Vampire do it...just made the whole innocuous action so very much...obvious.

Catherine found herself similing; what he had said was true, he did have a lecturer habit.

Let me get this straight. You do Yoga as a core part of your Covenant.” yeah that was all that really stuck in that lecture part. Maybe because it was so dry and Catherine was more of the storyteller types, not the college lecture at me types.

I think you need to not ever use that metaphor again, if you want the constructive criticism.

She rubbed again against her chin for a moment. “Which major shifts in history though? Are you speaking of things like the Man in the Iron mask and the all too obvious change in Louis the Fourteenth rule? or something else?

Michael Redfill
    Michael Redfill

Pre2 (scholarly)

PRE

When Catherine asks about Yoga being a central point of the Dragon doctrine, Michael looks visibly stunned. He blinks a few times, before standing up and going to the machines in the corner. After a few seconds, a really quiet meditative song starts playing in the background. The whole thing takes the doctor about half a minute which he uses to compose himself. After coming back and sitting down, he assumes a completely different expression. There is no smile, but no agressiveness too. He looks very serious and a few years older.

"No, Gods, no. Miss Keys, whatever I may have said in jest doesn't change the fact that I'm not selling you anything. You want to find a Covenant that's right for you. I want to be sure that you are right for us." - he takes a deep calming breath.

"A Dragon is no eastern guru. But every Dragon must be observant and capable of deduction - that is the core of everything. Let us consider the evidence I gave you in this conversation: I have told you that there are three paths to knowledge and power: service to a higher cause, learning to exert your will over the world and learning to exert your will over yourself. I called those paths religion, magic and yoga. I could have called them Uvandah, Concrete and Sparkles. Finally, I told you that we follow the third path and it allows us control over our curse and destiny." - he makes a pause, letting the words sink in.

"There are no distractions and I did not give you an obscure text to study. Could you please tell me, how you came to the conclusion that we necessarily do actual yoga exercises? It was because I said 'yoga' and you latched onto a familiar concept and discarded the lengthy boring explanation that came before, wasn't it?"
    Pre2 (scholarly), BP1

Catherine Keyes

PRE

Catherine was attentive now, the barest hint of a smile on her face. “Yes, Mister Redfill, I got that part, but the statement was an experiment of mine. Although you seem content enough to lecture, I was trying to see if you would be willing to Conversate. It seemed the most jarring at the time.

If you, yourself know that a lecture is both lengthy and boring, why use it? Why not engage your audience in some hearty back and forth instead of using rhetorical questions? That being said, this is not a classroom, and I did understand everything you said, however you wanted to know if I had questions. And I do, in fact I asked them.

She laced her fingers together, the perfect example of calm and serene. “Or did you latch onto the jarring thought that your previous monologue was discarded for a single joke and discard my questions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread