Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Meeting the Prince

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Dr. Swift gives a morose shake of his head, but his smile remains. "I'm afraid not, at least nothing to speak of in the past year." He sighs in an obviously flush-of-life-induced gesture. "When I first arrived I spent most of my time settling in, finding my place and general night-to-night basics. After that I seem to have gotten over involved in other matters that have distracted me from my studies." He flashes the Herald a quick, genuine grin. "Fortunately, when you study the past it tends to be patient and waits for you.

"And now," he adds, "With Hierophant Wooding's departure the Circle has fallen into my hands. I wish to do right by those that come to me for guidance, so seeking my own has become secondary, at least for now. Once I get everything in order there maybe I'll find some time to return to my research."

His gaze drifts back to the portion of the bookshelves the Herald had pointed out with a chuckle. "Hard to decipher? Well, it seems we have a talent for finding codes, don't we? I'm no astronomer myself, but I've been toying with the idea of petitioning the local University for a grant to study the stars as an associated researcher. I plan to use my background with the pre-Columbian American peoples to justify a historical study. Attempting to replicate their studies of astronomy authentically - using the same tools they used." His eyes return to the Herald with the closest thing to a sly expression she's likely ever seen on his face. "Perhaps if I were to gain such a grant I'd be able to lend you some assistance making sense of these charts?"

Martha Villiers

PRE

Robert's reply had woven so much together...discussion of the current investigation...the Temple...future research...

She wasn't sure what to reply to. So Martha tried a smile and carefully, if unsteadily, limped back to the desk, placing the book on the desk near the laid out maps.

"Oh, my! What an interesting project that would be! we should certainly investigate the matter in greater detail! I have every confidence your insight and resources would be of great help!" she enthused. "Quite...quite!" she agreed generally.

"Hmmm you raised the matter of the Temple again, Doctor..." taking the chance to slip the conversation harmlessly back to the topic at hand. Leaning hard on her cane, she rubbed at her crippled hip, though her eyes looked to Robert with gentility. Her tone sweetly invites Robert the chance to pick up the conversation...
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Dr. Swift smiles almost sheepishly, returning to his chair across the desk from Herald Villiers. "I suppose I did. I must admit it has been something much on my mind of late."

His gaze had settled on the map of Valencia displayed on her desk, but he raises his head to look the Herald directly in the eyes. Dr. Swift prided himself on being straightforward and he felt that nothing short of direct would be appropriate tonight. "If I am to do the best I can in my new position with the Circle, I feel that it will be necessary for me to seek Feeding Rights within Valencia at the very least. The more I consider it, the more I realize that in truth, it would best for me to seek tenancy somewhere within the Domain as well."

Dr. Swift's voice gains a touch of confidence and energy as he continues. "As I was thinking on the matter it occurred to me that it might actually be both easier and less of a burden upon the Domain as a whole if I were to seek tenancy within Valencia, perhaps to establish a more permanent presence for the Temple as well. I realize that such a grant is a privilege to be earned and I don't come asking boons without responsibility. However, I do hope that my ongoing service to the Domain might be worth some consideration in this matter."

Dr. Swift pauses, forcing himself to stop at this point. There was more that he felt obligated to ask about, but he wasn't certain it was really something he could expect to get tonight. And it was better to ask one step at a time and gauge the response. Patience, Robert, patience. These things take a deft hand, and yours is decidedly not.

Martha Villiers

PRE

As Robert locked eyes with her, she allowed it. It was the nature of honesty and trust. Meeting him to negotiate.

He'd made clear his request and suggested compensations.

She nodded and looked at the map. Needlessly reminding herself of the terrain she'd walked, ran and swam across over the last few years on innumerable Patrols.

Martha traced a small hand over the map in the rough area she knew the Temple to be within.
    "I see...I understand. Well, your position is clear, All you say makes sense, Doctor. It is clear your more constant presence at the Temple enhances your role and overall capabilities. This is to everyone's advantage."

She offers a sweet smile while perching once again on the edge of the desk.

"I have never doubted your intentions to continue to serve the Domain in whatever capacity you can. So I shall not foolishly clutter our discussion with additional compensatory requirements or demands. Such a thing would be a needless display of brute power and an equally careless dismissal of all your work for the Domain so far." another sweet smile is offered to Robert as Martha rubs harder at her hip.

"With this in mind, lest we come to the improper conclusion that His Majesty is a heedless tyrant, I see no reason why you cannot take up residence and Feed in Valencia at your earliest convenience, sir." she repeats merrily and sincerely while nodding to the Doctor with respect.
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Dr. Swift smiles, dropping his eyes for a moment in relief. "Thank you, Herald. And please, convey my gratitude to His Majesty." He glances back up and at the map once more. "I appreciate your confidence. It means quiet a lot to me."

Nodding once and settling his thoughts he continues. "There is one other matter I would like to discuss with you concerning Valencia and the Temple. I would like to work out an arrangement on behalf of the Circle, though I fully expect this will take some time and effort on our part. That is, on the part of the Circle."

"I know you attended a few of our celebrations and ceremonies under Hierophant David Silver and at least one under Hierophant Wooding. As you know, our rites often involve sacrifice and draw upon ancient traditions.

"One difficulty I have encountered in my efforts to plan events and future observances is the realization that many of our members do not have the right to feed in our Temple. The arrangement I would like to offer for consideration is one where temporary feeding rights can be extended to members of the Circle and their guests while within the Temple and specifically during our observances and rites."

Dr. Swift pauses a moment to let the idea settle in. "I am wondering if you think the Prince would be open to such a suggestion and what the Circle might be able to offer in exchange for this consideration."

Martha Villiers

PRE

As the Doctor explained his requirement Martha rubbed at her false knee and listened carefully. Nodding often.

"I see...I see. Hmmm...." she rubbed at her upper thigh now, "well...I daresay the Feeding Rights may be extended to all members of the Circle at a time of congregation and celebration. I see no reason why your ancient rites need have a hurdle such as the one you've explained."

She offered a sincere smile.

So far he and the Circle were doing well from this encounter. To refuse to take up the offer of a quid pro quo at this stage would seem unduly lenient.

Something pro bono publico seems altogether more sensible.

"I am grateful to you for the offer of an exchange and bargain with the extensions of Feeding privileges at specified times. With the offer of some bargain in place; I would be most interested to know what forms of magical rituals you and your brethren may be able to perform that will enhance the security of the Domain...and the Elysian Fields in particular? I have in mind the recent calamity at the Four Seasons Hotel...I should wish to avoid something similarly dreadful occurring to one or more of the local Elysian Fields."

She smiled to Robert, her tone of voice seems one of gentle enquiry.

Dr. Swift cannot suppress a pleased and surprised smile. "Thank you Herald," he says with some enthusiasm. While he didn't have much more than an introduction to Cruac himself, and no real concept what the others knew yet, the suggestion was less a cost for him and more an opportunity.

If they could assist the Domain through the practice of their own beliefs and rituals, then it would serve several useful purposes. He had no intention, of course, of revealing any of the Circle's secrets to those outside the Covenant. But utilizing their talents for the Domains defense would help put a positive spin on their worship. It would also make them more visible to the Domain and perhaps attract further interest in their Circle. And, of course, having an Invictus Domain working in cooperation with the Circle was a massively positive step and sent a political message of support of their Circle. All things considered, how could Dr. Swift not jump at the opportunity.

"We would be happy to lend our talents to the support and defense of the Domain. I am uncertain what specifically we can do to directly prevent a similar tragedy," he had or course heard of the Four Seasons incident, and the thought was terrifying, "but there are things we can do to help put together a strong line of defense. Mostly in the category of surveillance for now, and in the future we can focus some of our efforts on developing more potent tools for the Domain. We would, of course, need to setup a time to consult with the appropriate Domain representative - presumably Reeve Connery - to ensure our efforts are useful and do not violate anyone's privacy." At least without the Reeve's permission.

Martha Villiers

PRE

This delighted Martha and her smile showed that to be the case. She rubbed very hard at her crippled hip as she spoke;

"Most splendid, Doctor! I shall inform the Reeve and perhaps we can make a scheme to put these skills and talents into action! This is all most splendid!" she enthused.

"I say, we appear to be making all manner of progress this evening!" she smiled once more before adding a cheery, "Were there other matters you wished to discuss, Doctor?"

Tiny Martha was properly respectful and attentive and seemed to be all-ears to Robert's plans.

Dr. Swift could not imagine a more productive or happy outcome to the nights talk. He takes another sip of the lemonade as the Herald speaks and then smiles. A small shake of his head accompanies the, "No other business, Herald Villiers, though I am very interested in learning more about your scientist, Dr. Pelham." He puts down the empty lemonade glass. "But I don't wish to keep you longer than is necessary..." he trails off a little at the end, leaving it up to the Herald whether or not to politely end the night's meeting.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Smiling and in good spirits, Martha nods. "Splendid! Sadly...all I can offer for insight for the mysterious Dr Pelham is what we've discussed." her eyes widen in an expression of wonderment.

"However...I shall be making a new visit to Written Under Water soon." she giggles playfully. "Who knows what wonders may be waiting for rediscovery therein!"

Clapping her hands together in glee, she smiles sweetly to Robert. Allowing him more than enough time to drink the lemonade as she silently studies the map of the area near the Temple.

Though she is keen to talk...something she often seems to enjoy...tiny Martha seems to be sincere in her next words;

"Well, I should love to talk longer, but I daresay you have much to prepare for and plans to make! I should hate to delay you. I do hope you will keep me informed of your project and progress, Doctor!"

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread