Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Quiet Chat

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Dr. Swift arrived at the Elysium common room under the Avalon at the appointed time and date. He was restless tonight, agitated really. He still could not shake the odd feeling he had with regards to the Brother Teodor Raluca . He had the damnedest suspicion that the other man held some sort of grudge against him. He had seen something like a smirk or mirth cross his face during their investigation when Raluca had had reason to believe that Dr. Swift felt some degree of embarrassment. He hadn't, not really, but that wasn't the point. Dr. Swift simply could not think of a reason why the other man might dislike him.

So, ignoring the beast's constant lobbying to simply rip out Raluca's heart and be done with it, he had asked the monk to join him tonight for a discussion. True, this was not exactly how the Danse worked, but Dr. Swift had never been good at subtle social interactions and he had never liked politics. He had had enough of that in high school, and then later during the graduate and post-doc programs he'd participated in while earning his degree and reputation. So, he was going to end it tonight, one way or another. The choice of Elysium was a deliberate one to avoid any unpleasantness from his own more predatory nature.

B
    Beej

Descending the steps into Elysium, Teo was dressed slightly different than usual in black slacks, black suspenders, undyed linen shirt and his woven cross. Over his shoulder is customary satchel. Spotting the Gangrel Teo walked over Dr. Swift. "Ah. Good evening doctor. I hope your evening has been pleasant and productive thus far." he offers his customary greeting. The monk was more than a little curious as to what the man wanted. It could be any number of topics, the departure of Wooding, the investigation, perhaps the man was curious about learning more about the Ordo. Now that he though about it, he made a mental note to ask about Wooding's departure. Three Priscuses in less than a year, quite alarming.

Dr. Swift nods as Brother Raluca makes his appearance. While restless and eager to get this conversation over with, he is at least less agitated than he was by the time he left court last. Only time will tell if he remains that way. "Good evening, Brother Raluca. The evening has not been notably less pleasant than most, recently. It remains to see how productive it will be in comparison." He expected it would turn both much less pleasant and more productive, one way or another.

Dr. Swift gestures toward the hall leading from the common gathering space of Elysium below the Avalon toward the offices and private rooms. The rooms were available for the use of the Kindred of the Domain when they wished a degree of discretion. "Shall we? I would like to speak with you privately." It wouldn't do to air his dirty laundry for all the Domain to see.

B
    Beej

Supressing the urge to raise an eyebrow at the gangrel's reply, the Dragon simply nods. "I see." It is an ominous opening to the evening to Teo's reckoning. Was that sarcasm or snippyness? he wonders.

"Of course Doctor." the Monk agree's at the man's request for a private room. As they are in Elysium, he feels fairly safe. One did not start trouble in Elysium, more than once usually. One good shout would undoubtedly bring help running.

Teo will follow Swift to whichever room that has been reserved.

Once they enter a private room Dr. Swift takes a seat and gestures for Brother Raluca to do likewise across the table from him. "Thank you for coming tonight, Brother Raluca. And I apologize if I have been or seemed less than cordial of late," he begins, cutting right to the matter at hand. After all, it was exactly the sort of cloak and dagger twisty word play crap he hated and was trying to avoid tonight.

"I asked you to meet me because I have recently become concerned that things may not be as they seem between you and me. I believed - and would like to believe - that we have at least a friendly acquaintance, being both Kindred inhabiting the same city and with no particular feud or conflict between us." Dr. Swift's tone is calm, professional, and perhaps a bit cold. "And both of us working together for the Reeve and the Domain."

"However,"
    Dr. Swift's tone becomes a touch more reserved and tense, "recently I got the sense that you did not see things in the same light. So, in the interest of not letting anything fester between us I feel compelled to ask you: Is there some reason you have to dislike me? Or perhaps something I have done to offend you that I may be unaware of, some reason I have given you to wish me ill?"

Bump Beej

B
    Beej

Teo sits and listens intently, not entirely sure where Swift was going with the meeting. Ah. he thinks as he frowns a little. To Teo's knowledge he had not been anything but his normal polite self. Why does he think this? Is this a test of the Almighty? Is this choice between the Palantine and my faith?

Do I conceal for personal saving face? Or live my faith? The truth could cause difficulty. However speaking it could spark a great interesting in the Ordo in the man.

His head tilts slightly as he ponders carefully his words. "After working with you my opinion that you are highly intelligent and talented continues to be affirmed. I do believe that your intelligence and Requiem is wasted outside the Ordo. However there is nothing you have done or that I feel that prevents me from...working together in 'no particular feud or conflict' as you put it. Quite the contrary, I have found working along side you in the investigation quite the learning experience." Be that Swift imperiled himself by summoning entities he did not truly know, there was still no reason for him to shun the man. It would be exceeding rude, counterproductive to the Domain and deny himself the chance to possibly convince him of the Great Work.

roll=49904; 1suxx hide feeling about Crone faith

Dr. Swift listens to Brother Raluca's words. And he listens to his tone and his body language. His words had the sound of truth, but his tone spoke of superfluous words and deeper disdain.

Dr. Swift doesn't respond at first, rather placing his elbows on the table and steepling his fingers together and placing his chin on the tips of his fingers. "I believe you, and I am pleased you feel that way about our work together. But I still sense there is more to it than this. Both at the lab and tonight. At the lab you smiled when Herald Villiers spoke of my frustration with the lack of progress. As an academic and a researcher I have no reason to be embarrassed by such frustrations and admit to them freely, yet you seemed to think it would be an embarrassment, and this pleased you."

Dr. Swift pauses for a moment, wondering if the monk understood how distressing that fact really was to the doctor. By no means does Swift have any desire to be universally loved and as a professor he's more than made peace with the idea that some people may loathe him for no other reason than he wanted to help them, but this was different. Brother Raluca had seemed genuinely pleased at the idea of Dr. Swift's suffering.

"And now, tonight, I still get the feeling you are less than comfortable in my presence." He leans back, removing his chin from his fingers and folding his hands over each other on the table. "Now, understand that I am not asking you to like me if you have a reason to not. I just want to understand why you feel this way. Perhaps we can reconcile the situation, or if that is not possible, an understanding will make it easier for us to avoid causing undo stress to each other." Because, truth be told, this feeling of duplicity from the Shadow before him was causing a rather large amount of stress for Dr. Swift. And the Beast liked the idea of solving this much faster than with words.

2 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2013-07-15 23:55:27 Dr. Swift rolls 8 to not be taken in by Raluca's subterfuge (Comp + Empathy) (10 Again, WillPower) 1, 6, 3, 3, 9, 3, 8, 1 2 successes

B
    Beej

At the mention of Martha's delivery from that lab, Teo's gaze shifts for a second as he tries to recall the evening. Expensive equipment, carefully watching everything, Martha's rather humorous delivery and then the fire. The rather curiously timed fire. In Teo's opinion the delivery as a tad humorous. Then his mind turns. His eyes shift over the Gangrel's head and then back to the man's face. His forearms are resting on the arms of the chair, hands folded in his lap.

"You are familiar with the construction of Apollo Doctor?"

Dr. Swift takes a moment to answer, uncertain where the monk is going with this. He's also, once more, thrown off by the monk's odd way of naming things - something he wonders if it is a sign of age, cultural difference, or simply an act.

"If you refer to the Temple at Delphi," the Doctor pronounces Delphi with a long 'I' at the end, "then of course I am familiar with it. If you're referring to some portion of myth or another temple or other construction to Apollo then I'm afraid you'll have to narrow it down a bit. There are several." He doesn't add any questions as to the Dragon's intent. After all, as strange as Raluca's comments and thoughts can be, he usually comes to a cogent point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread